New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

The sleepers in the tent don't stir at Grepha retrieving their weapons, and though you don't have enough rope of your own to tie up three people, the camp does have some lying around for other things. They're ill-prepared for being sprung upon in the night, and they're quickly bound and gagged before they can muster up any sort of response. Any chance of the dogs helping them is cut short by Caelyn's spell, and they seem more interested in getting pets or sleeping than their masters being tied up and threatened.

Loog, for his part, just sighs quietly. "Could've at leas' done 'em in their sleep, now they have to see it comin'."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Turns out only one of you actually have rope on their character sheet, who knew? I did. Because I just checked while writing this post right now.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 39/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: --- | --

"Nobody's getting done by anybody," Sam insists. He looks over the captive bandits and then to his siblings, suggesting, "Once we send word to the backup, we have time. We could use that time for some of us to drag them back to Beregost, or something. Right? Or we can put them up in a tree, and... and check on them once in a while so they don't starve before they can be arrested." He knows perfectly well the likely punishment for their crimes will be death, but he can't bring himself to carry it out when they're not fighting back.

The devil settles upon Senna's shoulder, and a quiet voice whispers in her ear. "If you'd like, we can play along with the tree idea. Then I will put the brigands down once he is out of earshot, and catch up to the rest of you. I can make it quick..."

Show
    I did, it's why Sam asked for some instead of just pulling it out of his own pack.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 23/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Watching Sam bind them and Grepha's whispers, the anger, helplessness and frustration in Senna bubbles to the top. She draws her knife. STOP THIS AT ONCE!

She points at the devil, forcing it to fly or drop down. Grepha, you want more than just their deaths, you want their souls. Go back to your master. She looks at Loog. You are right, but that does not exempt you from your punishment. You will meet with the law, and your help will lessen your sentence but you will be punished.

Then she snaps at Sam. You are such a hypocrite. Too weak to kill them. You would rather command your little fiend to do so? It is so much easier when it is firey explosions or force blasts than cold hard steel, now is it? We are adventurers. We kill. Finally she snaps at her silent siblings, Melian and Caelyn. What does father's book say about this? The only reason we are in this is because of bandits like these. And of course the dogs are innocent, but they have our scent now. They should be put down too.

With that, Senna takes her knife, and unless stopped, approaches the first bound bandit to slit his throat herself.

Spoiler: if allowed to continuem, she whispers under tears
    Show
    Now I know why Vyvian was of such a bad mood.

Last edited by Spore; 2021-01-03 at 12:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Flapping her wings, Grepha rides the force up onto a tree branch above, invisibility fading so that Senna can see her sneering down. "I have no interest in wheeling and dealing with two-bit bandits. This Loog is going to turn on your the moment he is no longer under the blade. If you insist on doing this yourself, make sure to put him down with the rest."

From where he's double checking some of the bindings, Sam looks up and a deep growl erupts from his throat at Senna's accusations. "What the hell are you talking about?" he gets up and steps between Senna and the tied up bandits. "I didn't command Grepha to do anything. Grepha, what were you doing?" he demands, meeting the fiend's gaze up in the tree.

"Offering to make the problem go away without staining your conscience, 'master,' that's all. It seems Senna prefers to handle the dirty business personally."

"You and I are having a talk later," he points accusingly up at the devil, then fixes his eyes on Senna again. "And you. We're not 'adventurers,' Senna. At least I'm not. I never wanted to be. And if you can't tell the difference between a fight and cold-blooded murder, I don't want to be whatever you are."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 39/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

Caelee is busy petting, whispering to, and rubbing the tummies of the bandit's dogs while the others are arguing, trying to ignore the fighting to the best of her ability. When it rises to a fever pitch she takes a moment to kiss both the dogs on the nose, takes a deep breath, then turns to face her murderous sister and upset brother, her features set in stone. She waits for a lull in the uproar and shouts ENOUGH! at the top of her lungs.

Turning to Senna, she speaks quickly and without pause. Senna, these men are living beings! Killing them in their sleep is taking authority into our own hands that we may not deserve and may not be ready for. If we take that authority into our own hands right now, we open up the possibility of execution to any and all persons who end up on the other side of us. We can use our best judgement to decide who lives and dies, but we are mortal, we are fallible, and we WILL make mistakes that are not easily unmade. This decision CANNOT be made lightly or with a distressed heart. If we kill defenseless people to serve our own goals, we risk becoming EXACTLY like the evil men who killed Father!

Then she turns to Sam, and speaks with the same conviction. Sam, these men and women are, at best, accessories to banditry and murder for profit, turning their faces away as their mates killed, looted, and pillaged innocent people. Much more likely, they have committed these crimes themselves! We cannot drag them along after us, we cannot tie them in trees or put them in holes without making them easy prey to werewolves, shadow druids, lions, tigers, and bears! We live in a world of magical beasts that are not easily put off their meals by a difference in height. Leaving them here, in any state, is just another way of killing them- an end that would inevitably be theirs if they came into the possession of the Flaming Fist anyway! What is the blinking difference if we end them ourselves, ensure the safety of our mission, and send them to answer for their crimes to whatever god claims their misbegotten souls? In the eyes of a druid, these filth are mulch either way, whether it happens now or in a hundred years!

She takes a few moments to collect herself, slowing her breathing and calming down before continuing, speaking to the whole family at this point. I am willing to take these people's lives to aid the peaceful living of others. And I am willing to put the whole mission on hold to make them dig a hole that just may keep them alive and in misery while they wait to be picked up by the Fist, or at least delay their betrayal long enough for us to do what we need to do. I can legitimately see both sides and do not feel strongly enough in either direction to lose sleep either way. But what I am NOT willing to do is lose the only family I have to fighting over the fate of men and women who chose, for whatever reason, to walk a path of damnation, orchestrated violence, and theft! This must be decided, so I will let Melian cast the deciding vote. If we wish to include Vala in the discussion before rashly acting, which I would recommend considering she is trusting us with her life and this burden would be on her soul as well, then she deserves a voice in this as well. If for some reason the vote is tied and no side can reason with the other into a consensus, then I will flip a damn coin, let fate decide their end, and do my absolute best to maintain the love and respect of the only people in this world that I would be damned or die for, no matter what way the coin falls and whoever thinks less of me because of it!

Caelyn pauses for a moment, then shouts And these dogs will die over my dead body!

Show
    And just like that Caelee took a BIG step towards True Neutral. Might shift her alignment soon.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-01-03 at 07:00 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (16) HP: 31/34
    PP: 14 PIv: 17 PIs: 11
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8h)
    Concentrating: --

The wizard does a lazy patrol around the camp while her siblings argue and she winces as their voices are raised, worried that it might draw too much attention. She narrows her eyes as they start using their own names in front of the prisoners.

When Caelyn snaps, Melian considers that killing them outright might be better; they know the group’s names and faces and intent after all. But the thought is fleeting. Shameful. She feels both the weight of her vows and training and the reassurance of the Seldarine in knowing that killing them would be wrong. Even without doing so, she knows she could not draw a moonblade to strike down a bound and unarmed prisoner. Now resolute, she turns and walks back to the group, patting Caelyn on the shoulder as she faces the prisoners.

"I will not raise my blade against unarmed and bound prisoners." Her voice is even and calm. She stares down the prisoners without facing her siblings and Vala. "But we are presented with the logistical issue of what to do with you all. So I say we just let you go."

She raises a hand to stop any arguing for the time being and continues, still addressing the prisoners. "It seems to me that you’re all fairly low on the totem pole and could learn to find good, honest work elsewhere. I know you will not consider going back to the camp or raising any alarms against us because I’m sure you realize how easily we infiltrated your camp and took you unaware. You see before you a cleric who can read your soul and knows you’re Blacktalon and lying, a druid who tracked you across the forest and now knows you and your hearts and can track you no matter where you go in the Sword Coast. The warrior behind me has survived injuries that would kill any of you outright and laughed in the face of death. The other one has dragon blood and a pact with the lower planes and you can scarcely imagine the kind of power that entails. As for me," she pauses dramatically and calls upon the Weave - her eyes glow bright silver, reflecting and amplifying the waning moonlight tenfold, an eldritch blue glow surrounds her and her voice booms like thunder. "I have the arcane at my beck and call. Make no mistake, if we are met with any organized resistance at the camp we will track you down and we will find you."

She then stands up and faces her own group, the magic around her fading slowly. "So I say we cut them loose. Loog can present us as new recruits, replacing the men who just deserted. Deserters who would be unwelcome at their camp. "

Show
    Minor Illusion and Prestidigitation to crank Scary Wizard up to 11.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Vala gives a quiet sigh of relief, happy that perhaps cooler heads had prevailed for now at least. "It's dark, it's late, we've been walking all night. We can keep them tied up - Loog included - and rest here, then head out in the morning? Any further and my feet are going to give out underneath me. Maybe in the morning once we've had some rest and sleep everything will feel a bit clearer." She slips her spear across her back, before grabbing Loog and dragging him easily across to the others. She ties him with the remaining rope, making sure to gag him too. He stutters half a word out before his mouth is stuffed shut. "You make any noise during the night, we hit you until you stop." She warns them all. They nod, emphatically. With quiet (as much as you can get in a wolf-filled forest) confirmed, she goes to set up her own tent - yet another thing that she carried around like it was nothing.

It takes her the better part of 20 minutes to set it up, but she does so quietly and efficiently. With a final yawned goodbye she slips through the tent flap with a "Wake me up in like...6 hours? 7?" but doesn't wait for an answer.

The threats from Melian and Vala seem to be enough to keep the Blacktalons in place, as none of them make any moves during the night. Indeed those on watch notice that at some point they all seem to drift off to sleep (it was, after all, a sleep that you wrested them from). You are, thankfully, undisturbed during the night. Whether that's because of your fire or because those that strayed too close decided the weapons on show were enough reason to satay away, the watches pass peacefully if not quietly.

Dawn comes maybe 5 hours later, leaving the non-elves of the group trying to force sleep into not only a bright but a blisteringly hot day. Even without the sun on you, you can still feel that today is going to be worse than others. Vala's already sweating when she finally emerges from her tent, after the required six hours of sleep, quietly groaning at the heat and lack of comfortable sleep. She soon sets about fixing breakfast (nothing cooked, mostly berries with some hard cheese and bread).

Once everyone has had their full 8 (4 for elves) hours of rest, it's mid-morning, having expended a few hours of light already - though in the summer months there's plenty to spare. You get a chance to make any final threats, assurances or words of encouragement to the bandits before you send them off - unarmed and unarmoured - in the opposite direction to where you believe the main camp is. Watching his companions leave, Loog tuts and mutters to himself "Shoulda slept on watch, would've got to go too." "Say something?" Vala asks pointedly, tugging on his ear, to which he replies, louder "I sai' if you're gonna play it off like they ran, yer gonna need a reason. Attack durin' the night or whatever, somethin' for you to save me from." He tuts again, as she lets him go, looking a bit less sure of his words now. "S...so you're gonna have to rough me up a bit, get some cuts or bruises. Make it look real, otherwise they'll know somethin's up. They wouldn' just run off for no reason, we got a good thing goin' here, mostly."

Vala scratches her head and looks to the rest of you. "Think he's right?"

Show

Today you are visited by SCORCHING HEAT because the weather roll was very high.
    Blistering heat that is unpleasant to travel in. Creatures that attempt to travel during the daylight hours require twice the ration of water, and creatures that travel for 4 or more hours, or engage in heavy activity for 1 or more hour, during the day and do not immediately take a short or long rest under cover must make a DC10 Constitution saving throw or gain a level of Exhaustion.

All fire damage rolls have a +2. All cold damage rolls have a -2.
    Since there's ample food and water (thank Caelyn) this mostly just means you'll have to slow your travel pace slightly and take regular rests, and gotta keep the damage changes in mind for any combat.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #218

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 34/34

Melian sets her bedroll against a tree and enters her trance in a seated position. Before daybreak, she returns to full alertness and silently puts away her pack. She reviews her spellbook and prepares her spells and spends the rest of the early morning consulting Boreathar's Tome before the others awaken.

When Loog speaks up, she considers it for a moment. "True, though we many people here capable of healing. Unless we plan to keep that a secret, us healing you might actually be a better story."

Show
    Study Boreathar's Tome during Long Rest.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

That Night
    Caelyn smiles at waves at Melian when she settles down to trance sitting down, as the druid always does. She sets up her own bedroll, folding it into a comfortable seat, and staggers her trance so that she should be closing her eyes when Melian wakes. While she stays up, she wanders the area surrounding the bandit's camp, searching for ingredients. Some red berries here, some sap there, and specific types of loam found with the roots of an oak tree. Mixing these ingredients in a small wooden bowl she normally used for plant collection, she adds water and makes a thick red paste, then adds a bit more to thin it out into a primitive paint. Then she began drawing on the pieces of shattered stone she gathered from the altar, preparing them to receive the paint. She was no artist, but she knew if she got them just right she could make something magical happen. Tongue stuck out, eyes nearly crossed in concentration, she works for hours sketching with coal, dabbing paint, and murmurring to herself in Druidic the whole time just to prepare to attempt the infusion of magic. That she will save for another night. Putting the shards of rock out to dry, she contentedly closes her eyes and begins to trance, imagining the possibilities of her creation should they come to fruition.

That Morning

Caelyn wakes up in a sweat, immediately hot and immediately thirsty. She quickly gathers her rocks, rolls up her bed, and removes her armor. She would be worried if she was caught in a fight with it off, but she would be brutally overheated if she kept it on. In a way she felt naked without it, but the immediate relief of stripping down to just her shirt was enough to convince her she'd made the right decision. She eats quietly, keeping her own counsel as she waits to see how things resolve- how the parting with the bandits would end and how her family would manage the fallout. She'd never seen her siblings fight over something so dire since Father's death, and then they were all in mourning. She only hoped that the harsh words of the evening would grow smaller and easier to deal with in time, and that unlike that feeling of loss they would go away.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-01-06 at 01:46 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33

The night before:
    I don't usually ask you for spell requests, as I prefer to do this between Deneir and myself, but do we have an approach for tomorrow? I will prepare a few blessings ready for combat as I feel at least the commanders will not go without a fight, but for the more powerful miracles I am granted I would like to know if we focus on keeping quiet is our focus, or not.

Also should I keep an option to be able to send a message to Captain Commander or however his name was,
    she chuckles: to tell him the direction and size of the camps?

On the road with Loog:
    That is an issue I have been thinking about ever since I was gifted this tabard. Anyone with half an education is going to realize Deneir's symbols. While not explicitly a deity linked to only our home as a place of learning, it does link our group pretty heavily to the place. Senna says without any sublety.

In any case, it outs me as a devout follower of a decidedly non-violent deity, even if I feel I have kicked that tradition with my feet. I can disguise myself as a nondenomital cleric, or a follower of Gond or Mystra. Can you come up with good arguments that could convince a priest of following your cause, Loog? Or are your friends just thugs without vision, trying to get by? she adds without any judgment, even if Loog could easily interpret it as condescending.

11. - Top - End - #221

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

The Night

Sam still stands stiffly, hands shaking from the flood of anger and adrenaline. He breathes out a sigh through his nose at Melian's suggestion to just let them go. It might not be wise, but maybe it's the best he's going to get. "Alright." As Senna brushes off her gruesome attempt on the bandits' lives and returns straight to strategizing, Sam turns away in disgust and walks over to the bandit 'pile'. "Assuming you take this as a wakeup call," he begins, straightening out his ruffled sleeves. "You should look for work at the Nashkel mines. They're going to be looking for miners again soon, after we clear out the roads."

Grepha flies down from her perch and lands on Sam's shoulder, causing him to tense up a bit. He closes his eyes and takes a breath, then adds, "I wish you luck." Turning away, he claims one of the bandits' tents that are already up, and crawls in.

"What was that out there? Offering to kill them behind my back?" Sam chastises Grepha telepathically while he takes a drink from his waterskin and stares at his knees.

"I was only trying to help. Bringing Loog in on the plan, it's foolishness. I would sooner trust the bandit dogs than that man."

"No more side business," Sam states, out loud and with clarity. "Any offers, deals or whatever you want to make go through me from now on. Check in telepathically, and no agreements or offers without my permission."

Folding her arms, Grepha has little choice but to agree. "You're the boss. Just remember. Honor and benevolence feels good, up until it gets someone you care about killed by those who have none. Try considering that before it happens."

Without indulging more on the subject, Sam turns away and tries to get some sleep.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Persuasion on the bandits to convince them to seek legitimate work at Nashkel.
    (1d20+4)[11]
    (1d20+4)[20] Advantage from Melian's warning?

The Morning

In an uncharacteristically uncheerful mood, Sam slumps around camp in the morning. After the prisoners go - Loog excepted - he tells the others, "I'm not going to fit in around the bandit camp. I should go join up with the reinforcements and come in that way." His infernal companion is quiet that morning as well, returned to her disguised form of a raven.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

When the bandits go it's difficult to tell if there's any agreement, or if your words have settled in. At least one seems thoughtful about it, but the other two are stonyfaced - perhaps more concerned with making it out of the woods than whatever comes 'next'. Still, you've disarmed them for now, so it's unlikely they'll be a threat any time soon, and desertion may not be looked kindly upon among the Blacktalons.

"Wouldn' worry about it too much." Loog says to Sam. He seems quite open with his information, perhaps because it's the only thing keeping his head attached. "Chill're in camp too - hobgoblins, gnolls, some half-ogres. Yeah they ain' go' any scales but it's close enough righ'?" Vala, quietly so Loog doesn't overhear, adds to Sam, "I don't know if splitting up is a good idea, there could be more bandits or worse in the forest. And you'd look very silly as a werewolfdragon."

Loog seems confused at Senna's question, as if he doesn't recognise the words being spoken - his expression is the same look you might expect when speaking to someone who doesn't know the language. "I 'unno 'bou' any o' tha'. Think being a lass is gonna be more of a problem. They won' be paying attention to your 'tabard'." His eyes dart down for just a moment. "No' a lot of women in camp...none, actually, now tha' I think 'bou' it." He shrugs. "Dunno though, maybe tha'll help with whatever you're doin'."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #223

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Looking up at Loog, Sam raises a brow ridge. "My looks aren't really what I was worried about."

"Samuel does not have the makings of even a fake bandit," Grepha cuts in, her voice more withdrawn and held back than usual. "The moment he is tested they will know."

"Besides, I heard the Chill have this really awful initiation beating. And I don't want them to damage this pretty face after all," he halfheartedly jests.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn turns her head to Sam, giving him a slightly hurt look when he mentions leaving the group. Under that logic, neither am I suited for infiltrating the bandit camp. I cannot hide my disdain for them, nor profess my loyalty to their cause in a believable manner. I may escape suspicion if I tell them I am here to cleanse the shadow druids, but I doubt that lines up with their strategy for handling my personal enemy. She reaches out and puts a hand on Sam's arm. "If I'm not mistaken, with Vyvian gone you might be the only one of us who can get away with a lie, Sam. I'm not sure what we'd do without you."
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #225

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 34/34

- Earlier -
    Melian consider's Senna's spell suggestions for a moment. "Informing the Fist where the camp is seems like a good idea. If we inform them that it moves they will know to track it."

- Later -
    "I do think we should stay together for this one," Melian chimes in, joining the discussion. Her familiar hops from her hood onto Sam's shoulder, giving the half-dragon a quick lick on the cheek. The wizard smirks at it and scratches Fëanáro's chin. "If this goes poorly, we will need to have each other's backs."

The wizard seems unfazed by the blistering heat. The more observant ones may notice she periodically draws upon the Weave and the air grows colder around her.

Show
    Prestidigitation every now and again to cool off own clothing. Personal HVAC SystemTM! (patent pending) Eat your heart out, gnomes )

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna blushes heavily at Loog's hint. You think my sisters are an issue as well? Or Sam? she says, realizing gender was never an issue to them before. Neither was Sam's draconic heritage, which was weird to say the least.

I mean, uhm, uh, she stutters, fully knowing she could just shave her head and count as a tomboyish male. what would you propose? Senna did not consider herself vain in any case, but the thought of loosing the bit of hair that made her seem like a girl after so teachers in Candlekeep mistook her for a boy, she was flustered. She was already fidgeting with her dagger's sheath, unsure if she should cut her hair.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

"I think Melian's right, either we all go in together or we all stay out. There's gotta be too much risk if we split." Vala asserts, concern about splitting writ quite clearly on her face. Deception doesn't seem to be one of her great strong suits either, at least when it's not in song-form. "Strength in numbers and all that, right?"

"I think you all stand ou' yeah, but s'long as you're good a' making money they'll probably overlook it." Loog says relatively noncommittally. "Doubt you could pass for a guy with a quick haircut, they'd sniff you ou' in a second. Tol' you to rough me up, you wouldn' do it, so why'd you wanna listen to me now? I'll be slippin' out first chance I get. Wha'ever yer after, I don' wanna be 'round when they find out. Gettin' you in I can do, maybe, but outside of tha' you're on your own." He lapses into quiet as your progression through the woods continues. Rather than following any specific trail, Loog (bound), points you instead in a single cardinal direction, using the sun to make sure you're staying on track. It's a north-easterly pattern, not quite along the trail you followed yesterday but instead heading on what he asserts is the shortest path to pick up the camp trail. From what you can tell, he's not lying, and the direction does make sense from the patterns you saw back at the emptied site you were teleported to.

Squeezing around trees and over logs it's no more than an hour into your journey when you hear a slobbering sound up ahead. The sound of gnashing teeth chewing, of drool and juices falling down faces, of bones crunching in jaws. It stops, quite suddenly, as they hear you - the carts wheels, the snapping of boot on twig, the scuff of clothes against branches and leaves. Through the undergrowth your two sides lock eyes. You, a bunch of delicious looking morsels to add to their feast. Them, three trolls with red blood matting their moss green faces, spackling their rubbery skin. Clutched in their taloned grips are chunks of flesh with clear bitemarks. One is simply holding a human arm, dangling on its own. They were crouching before but at the arrival of new sounds and smells they stand up to their full nine feet in height, even with a severe hunch to their spine. They drop what they're holding, leaving their long gangling arms free to reach out and take hold of their next, fresh meal.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Attacking from range at more than 10' away will give them half cover. Attacking at more than 20' away will give them 3/4 cover. In both cases, this is because of the dense trees.

Before you go throwing any fireballs, be aware of the potential to cause forest fire (only you can prevent them). It's very hot, and therefore very dry, and the trees are very close together. Fire-based AoE may have unintended consequences!

Spoiler: Cover Stuff
    Show

Walls, trees, creatures, and other obstacles can provide cover during combat, making a target more difficult to harm. A target can benefit from cover only when an attack or other effect originates on the opposite side of the cover.
    There are three degrees of cover. If a target is behind multiple sources of cover, only the most protective degree of cover applies; the degrees aren't added together. For example, if a target is behind a creature that gives half cover and a tree trunk that gives three-quarters cover, the target has three-quarters cover.
    A target with half cover has a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall, a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend.
    A target with three-quarters cover has a +5 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has three-quarters cover if about three-quarters of it is covered by an obstacle. The obstacle might be a portcullis, an arrow slit, or a thick tree trunk.
    A target with total cover can't be targeted directly by an attack or a spell, although some spells can reach such a target by including it in an area of effect. A target has total cover if it is completely concealed by an obstacle.

Loog is still bound, armourless and weaponless so he won't be fighting. You may want to make sure someone keeps an eye on him though, either because of trolls or in case he decides to try something... He will act on Vala's initiative.

Turn order is Senna/Melian, Enemies, then everyone.

Spoiler: Troll Nature DC
    Show

Spoiler: DC0
    Show
    Those are some BIG goblins.

Spoiler: DC5
    Show
    An 'uncivlised' species that is incredibly widespread despite having no common grouping, they can be found in various forms/subspecies across all biomes. Their primary weapons are sharp claws and sharper teeth, and they can be surprisingly agile for such tall, gangly creatures. They average 8-10' when fully grown and often sport large noses that have exceptional smelling capabilities. Very rarely do trolls live together, sometimes grouping together under a shaman or warlord, but these groups rarely number more than 20 and often fall apart from infighting.

Spoiler: DC10
    Show
    Trolls are known for their incredible regenerative powers, being able to heal from wounds that would be 100% fatal to any other creature. This regeneration is hindered however by acidic substances (magical or otherwise) and fire, which cauterises the wounds and prevents regeneration. Some troll subspecies are more or less vulnerable to one or the other (arctic trolls are more susceptible to fire than acid) however forest trolls like the kind you're encountering here are roughly equal.

They usually speak their own language (commonly known as 'troll') but it's less of a unique language and more a guttural mix of a few tongues - giant, orcish, common and goblin being the most common ones, though it can vary by region. They're extremely aggressive, and extremely ravenous.

Spoiler: DC15
    Show

It's said that even beheading a troll is insufficient to overcome their regeneration. Professor Jowd of Waterdeep once bisected a troll down the middle as part of an experiment, and the result was that the regeneration created two, separate trolls - effectively cloning the original.

Because of this, and a troll's dangerous nature, troll blood is a quite expensive, sought after ingredient. It's often used in alchemical formulas for potions, poisons, antidotes and more. It's an infrequent spell component. The flipside is that con artists and tricksters will sell people fake 'troll blood' as a cure-all. A vial of authentic, preserved troll blood can be sold in the range of 300-500 gold pieces, depending on its quality. Dilute troll blood or aged specimens sell for lesser amounts. It's not the sort of thing that can be sold casually however, and usually troll blood is more of a "purchased to order", with groups specifically tasked to acquire it for a buyer, since people with the gold to buy it and need to do so are niche.

Spoiler: DC20
    Show

Experiments by people using trollblood to extend their lifespan (obtaining eternal youth/immortality as the end goal) have thus far met with less than stellar results, though it hasn't stopped people from trying. The most successful case to date was an exceedingly rich Cormyrian nobleman who spent his entire fortune on acquiring trollblood to drink, causing a minor local genocide of the creatures as people rushed to fill his request. He managed to extend his life, somewhat, living to the ripe old age of 233, however it had less regenerative properties than he hoped and for the latter 111 years of his life he was unable to move under his own power, only able to drink the blood that kept him alive as his body withered, his muscles atrophied, and his mind failed.

He was mercy-killed by his great, great, great, granddaughter.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-01-08 at 02:08 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #228

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"I guess," Sam says, reluctantly, to the encouragement and insistence. He picks up his bag and shoulders it, still looking uncertain.

"...If you are amenable to me making an offer." Grepha's voice resounds in his head and he looks over, nodding. "If you doubt yourself, know that I am here to advise or to delegate to," Grepha tells him telepathically. Then she adds out loud, "And you can at least heal yourself after the initiation."

Grimacing in anticipation, Sam walks along with the others. He's not paying much attention when Grepha jostles him out of it, at the appearance of the unfriendly green giants. "Good news, Loog. Someone willing to give you a beating has arrived," the imp jabs.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Concentration: Bless (Vala, Melian, Caelyn)

After reciting a few lines of prayers to Deneir, Senna closes with a short notice. We need fire or acid for these ones. Take care of the trees. Caelyn?

20. - Top - End - #230

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (20) HP: 34/34
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8h), Bladesong (1min)

Seeing the trolls between the trees, Melian grunts audibly. "Better than werewolves," she remarks to no one in particular. With practiced ease, she draws the weave around herself and, unsheathing her Moonblade, holds her ground

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Action: Mage Armor (8h)
    Move: Draw sword.
    Bonus: Bladesong (1min)

Bladesong: +INT AC, +10' move, ADV DEX (Acro), +INT CON Saves and Concentration.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

The three gangly monstrosities lumber forward, pushing aside branches and weaving between trees to get close. Only one manages to reach you - Vala, specifically - however, the other two instead raising their claws in preparation for a strike. The 'lead' monster (by geography, rather than any notable hierarchy, at least from what you can see) swings its razor talons down at the young musician, she blocks or dodges the swipes, but she's a touch too slow to avoid its keen-tooth maw that reaches down and scrapes against her shield arm. "Hey, hey, you're gonna protec' me righ'? I can' figh' like this!" Loog stammers as he sees Vala take the hit.

Show

Vala takes 9 damage from a bite (why is it always bites with her) updated on map, 57/66.

The two "far" trolls have their claws raised, some might say in a ready position.

Everyone's turn!

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions:
    Concentration: Bless (Vala, Melian, Caelyn)

Senna snaps her fingers and pulls out a middlesized bell. You remember it as the one she used to talk to the deceased merchants, an action Caelyn protested against. The tendrils of vile necromancy wrap themselves around the bell once more, now echoing a dirge towards the eastern-most troll.

Spoiler
    Show
    Put away dagger, draw bell and ring it for Cause Fear: (1d20)[9] Wisdom save

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee looks over the rushing trolls and make a decision in an instant. She had to get Rosc Roche to somewhere safe while this fight raged. She dropped the reins and spurred the horse onward and away from the fight with her knees and feet, encouraging her friend to head for safety. Riding atop his back, she reaches for her longbow, but quickly realizes that it would be more than awkward to draw it while riding. Instead she draws her wand and points it at the nearest troll while moving, spitting a sizzling word in Druidic as a bolt of fire rushes at the monster from the tip.

Show
    Urging Rosc Roche north west away from the fighting. Don't know what his speed will be like, but best get him away from the trolls. Handle Animal of (1d20+7)[8]. Casting Firebolt at the troll fighting Vala, suffering the cover bonus. (1d20+7)[15] for (2d10)[11] fire damage.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #234

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Drawing a card from his deck, Sam points it at the troll at the back of the group. His mouth moves, and whispering sounds emerge, weaving through the air. Audible only to the troll, they heckle and claw at it with imagery of hellfire and burning pain.

"I'll try and keep the other ones off you. Kick ass, Vala!"

The devil in raven form vanishes from sight, the light rippling around and washing off of her like water off of a duck's back.

Show
    Sam:
    Cast Dissonant Whispers on the middle troll that nobody's targeted yet.
    Save (1d20)[1] Wis vs DC 14
    Damage: (3d6)[15] psychic damage, or half on a save.
    If save fails, it immediately moves its Speed away from Sam.

Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration on Vala.

Grepha:
    Use Invisibility.

Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-01-13 at 04:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian closes her eyes for a heartbeat and communes with her familiar. Up into the trees, Fëanáro. And keep an eye on our prisoner.

Opening her eyes, she strides forward beside Vala and lashes out with her sword, once again crashing with thunderous power.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    Move: 5' NE (beside Vala). Familiar goes up into the nearest tree to the S of our position, moves to keep track of Loog if he makes a run for it.
    Bonus: --
    Action: Booming Blade vs Troll
    - Attack: (1d20+7)[17]
    - Damage: [roll]1d8+4[roll] 6 (from discord) + (1d8)[4] Thunder
    - Extra (2d8)[7] Thunder if it moves before my next turn.

Bladesong: +INT AC, +10' move, ADV DEX (Acro), +INT CON Saves and Concentration.

Last edited by cigaw; 2021-01-15 at 12:46 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

The furthest troll roars in a combination of fear and anger, screaming bloody murder at the bell's intonations. It's torn, torn between the desire to taste on the supple flesh of the party but pushed away by the clang that pierces its heart with terror. Sam's spell is just as effective, forcing the central troll to immediately flee to the north. It gets to roughly as far away as it had been when it started, before stopping, looking around for a moment, and then turning to move back towards the party. None of you are experts in troll expressions, but the look on its face could be taken for one of confusion.

The closest troll, befuddled not by fear or confusion, is instead struck by flames and steel. Caelyn's firebolt makes it scream in agony, the damage seemingly more potent than usual due to the scorching sun overhead. The flames seem to have an added effect however. When the flower-crowned Vala strikes with shining spear and Melian with spellsword the skin doesn't knit back together, the blood doesn't stop, and the gashes remain as gashed as ever. It is not regenerating, the singing of the flames seemingly 'turning off' its power to do so, if only temporarily. Adding its screams to the cacophany of its feared companion it slashes with claws and jaw at Melian and Vala, trying to force its way. Melian slips past the troll's clumsy attacks, though Vala takes a scrape on the shoulder from one of the claws.

Rosc Roche, and Loog, both step back hesitating, Loog glancing around at the forest around you. For better or worse, Rosc Roche can't easily move through the trees, and bolting with the wagon attached seems unlikely, but Loog's concern seems to be passing to the horse, and neither seem exactly

Show

Vala takes 6 damage (after resistance) from a claw, updated on map. 51/66. Right-side troll failed his save to remove Cause Fear so he's still stuck in place (or rather, can't move forwards at least). Central troll ran away and then immediately ran back which is why he's not 'moved' on the map.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: Spiritual Weapon
    Concentration: Cause Fear (Troll)

The bells don't just ring for the eastern troll, they toll. Senna also snaps, evoking a candlefire next to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spiritual Weapon (1d20+7)[14] (1d8+4)[11]

Toll the Dead (1d20-1)[10] Wisdom save vs 15 or take [roll]2d12 necrotic[/roll] 9 necrotic damage

Last edited by Spore; 2021-01-16 at 07:15 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Invisibly flying above the troll fighting with Vala, Grepha grabs onto its dreadlocks and yanks on them in the air, attempting to distract it and make for an easier target.

Sam, meanwhile, keeps his eyes locked on the troll he'd given the run around. He maintains the psychic disturbance, keeping it at bay so that they are not overrun.

Show
    Sam:
    Cast Dissonant Whispers on the middle troll that nobody's targeted yet.
    Save (1d20)[11] Wis vs DC 14
    Damage: (3d6)[13] psychic damage, or half on a save.
    If save fails, it immediately moves its Speed away from Sam.

Grepha:
    Help action on the next attack against the wounded troll. Ideally Cae's next fire bolt, we wanna keep that regen down.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Realizing the horse and cart are mostly blocked in, Caelyn throws herself to the side and preforms a rolling dismount, moving closer to the trolls adjacent to Sam and pointing her wand at the troll Vala is engaged with, tears of flame flowing from the corners of her eyes as the excess fire magic started to heat the air even hotter than the summer sun.

Show
    Getting down off the horse and moving to the west of Sam, then casting fire bolt. (1d20+7)[13] to hit 24 from discord to hit (Troll gets a +2 to AC) and (2d10)[12] fire damage.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-01-17 at 09:16 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #240

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian ducks and weaves as the troll attacks, thankful that her siblings have managed to keep the other two occupied for the time being. Noticing how the troll's wounds aren't mending, she calls out in encouragement to Caelyn as she lashes out again with her blade. "The fire's working, Caelyn! Keep hitting it!"

Spoiler: Round 3
    Show
    Move: --
    Bonus: --
    Action: Booming Blade vs Troll
    - Attack: 1d20+7 16 from Discord
    - Damage: (1d8+4)[11] + (1d8)[1] Thunder
    - Extra (2d8)[10] Thunder if it moves before my next turn.

Last edited by cigaw; 2021-01-19 at 12:29 AM.