New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 21: Older than Arkh

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Eastside Park]

Actually, that part, getting recognized for one's efforts is pretty weird, Seraphina thinks. Not really a fan.
    "Oh, no, the hood's actually for..."
    She rolls her lips, chews on them for a bit, then finishes her sentence with, "something else entirely."

She, of course, gives the bookstore lady a nod or something.

"Ugh, a deck? No thanks," she says.
    Seraphina turns to look because Karasu's pointing, but then quickly realizes that she's pointing at a person and not a thing. She quickly turns away. "Probably it's because she doesn't know if we're actually going to buy something or not," Seraphina says. She turns away from the books she was looking at. "But...sure. Fine."

She leaves the books and walks over to the woman. "Hi," she says. "Can I ask about this store? Never seen a bookstore in a movie theater before. What made you want to turn it into a bookstore?"
    [Eastside Park]

"Something... else? Got horns or something? Or, hair's snakes?" Karasu's obviously now very curious about what this 'something else' might be, but she doesn't pry further, as much as she wants to. She does look at Seraphina's rings once more, however. Perhaps the rings mutated her face or hair somehow?

When Seraphina reacts that way to the mention of a deck, Karasu's quick to explain. "Troop types are cards with levels, drop 'em on the field and they become troops. Just like selecting troops before battle. Mentioned it before, you did." Still on the topic of games, she suggests another one. "Tried Mutant Year Zero? Could try that one. Like XCOM, but with stealth options, and anthropomorphic furry animals."

"Doubt it... but thanks." Karasu stays behind to admire some books, while making sure to position herself in such a way that she can stealthily observe the proceedings.

The woman startles once Seraphina starts walking towards her, and unconsciously smooths her dress. "G-Good day to you! I trust you're enjoying our store?" She listens to Seraphina's question, ready to respond. It's clear she gets this a lot. "Glad you asked!" She starts, happily. "This cinema closed down and was left dormant, but then I inherited it from a friend. Books are my passion, so I decided to turn it into a bookstore!"

She looks like she has a lot more to say, and is wondering about it. "Erm..." Should she bother them with her problems, though?

She decides to go for it. "Erm... so there's this new service I'm thinking of offering, giving people the chance to pick their favourite books and getting to experience it like they were inside the book themselves, but I've not found anyone willing to help me test it out. If it's no trouble, could you both help me out? I'll be willing to give you each a book for free if you do!"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Eastside Park]

Seraphina has no idea what Karasu's talking about, when it comes to those games.
    She just stares blankly.
    "Ummmmmm....sure."

Yeah! The store's pretty nice, is something Seraphina might say. She nods. Yeah, that's pretty cool. She sees. Yeah. Might be fun watching a movie in here based on a book just after reading it, she thinks.

"Sure, that sounds fun," Seraphina says. She glances back towards the woman who was accompanying her. "Like Virtual or something? Yeah, should be fine." Getting a book for free would be pretty helpful, especially since Karasu already is here looking for a book. "What do we need to do?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #213

[Expedition: Fishbowl]

"Erm, my plan was to avoid Malechenar's attention actually. I figured that MERC solved it all for them and since they serve money rather than Malechenar directly we could convince them to not tell Malechenar about us." A beat. "Since getting Malechenar's attention would be... bad. We, uh, did some pretty unsavory things when we left the other compound. So it's best to not get into that again. So if we discreetly can get in touch with MERC's leader before they sound the alarm that's be for the best." She turns to Eon. "So what's you plan?"

[Out]

She hears nothing out the door, but it should be pointed out that there is a broken window near the door, at the left side of the building. She can't see anyone from it and presumably she's keeping herself below it. But while she can't hear or eventually see anyone outside the door, she can hear something walking outside through that window meaning that someone or someone's are approaching from the left side.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Abandoned Village]
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Amalungak stares at Ruby defiantly. His mind is working quickly, seeking ways out of this situation, but little of it is betrayed by his face.

"I know nothing as much as anyone about this. It was some kind of mass of rats, controlled by something. I barely managed not to be eaten by this filth."

It seems he's just going to stonewall his interrogators and see how far they'll go to make him talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    When Irena aproches them Fade won't really react.

"I don't know why you suggest that, but I will make sure someone with the proper skills to find out will be on this one."

Then Ruby tries to question the guy and Amalungak replies in an unstatisfing way. Fade will put his hand on Amalungak shoulder, he might feel a little push towards the exit.

"There is plenty of time to remember what happened here." Then he turns to Ruby. "You need rest. I can carry you but we should go."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Irena eyes Ruby and suddenly realizes that she might just be from Southside which was a slight improvement from being with MERC in her book. "You from Southside?" She inquires. "Better take him there then, don't want Malechenar to get their grubby hands on him. Will probably cover it all up and blame it on the homeless. I mean, they kept all these tunnels secret from us, didn't they?" Irena doesn't actually know if Malechenar knew about the tunnels or not but she was making some assumptions as she went along.

Fade and Holly gets the silent treatment, they were obviously from MERC so she wouldn't argue with them as they were in Malechenar's pockets.

She had no idea what or who Jaahlyn were but she was pretty confident that she could find her way out of here on her own. Sure didn't want to trust some weird-eyed hoof-woman.
    Speaking of which, Jaahlyn gives the rat-tails that Flicker is holding a concerned look, thought probably not for the reason Flicker might think, but still nods to acknowledge her. "Then follow me, miss. This way."

The satyr stops before Holly and gives her a curt nod. "Until we met again then, miss. Whatever masks we might carry." Then she will procede to help Flicker to find her way out, going towards the entrance from which Fade and Ruby entered. The others can follow her if they like.

"Great, good job. I'll make sure you all get a extra payment this month. Solving this is a huge relief. But when you say there's a lot of people down there, one of those wouldn't be someone called 'Archera' wouldn't it? Woman with water powers in an armor with a water skirt. She stands out and I suspect she was heading into these tunnels too based on some recent sightings of her." Dena tells Holly over the communicator.
    "Just rats? You didn't see any...spiders on the way down?" Ruby drawls. She's about to say more, but Fade speaks up, and she draws away from Amalungak, straightening up.

"Oh, yes, let's get out of here first." You can always trust a shadow to, uh, do whatever shadows do. Run away form the light? The light of the truth? But it provides a perfect excuse to let the prisoner worry for a while! Genius!
    Her eyes widen slightly at Irena's suggestion. Of course Malechenar is involved. Eastside might have stayed out of it, but the vampires definitely wouldn't pass up a deal with the King in Rags. Was this where they were called upon to act? Turning his servants against each other to ensure their loyalty only to him...maybe. What's clear is: this isn't over yet. The fae are plotting at least one more act to their drama.
    "Yes ma'am. Commandant Ruby, of the Southside 5th Division. They'll know most of what happened down here by now. Impossible to cover up." She is perhaps overstating how much has been communicated. This deep underground, with all this strangeness, who knows what might happen? "The tunnel entrance was deliberately hidden, yes. And not by any rat."

As Fade moves out of the abandoned village, Ruby will go with him.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-02-18 at 01:24 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Expedition Fishbowl

"I was going to pretend to be a beggar and ask for alms." Maybe not the best plan, but it might work. "If they try to throw me out, I could make a fuss."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #216

[Moth Park]

"Just be careful what you say - I might swoon if you keep being charming, and then you'll have to carry me anyways." Anastasia takes Eliseo's hand and gets to her feet, almost forgetting to sling her sword across her back.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

7. - Top - End - #217

[Abandoned Village]

"No spiders, only rats and their victims. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we found any down here if we decided to stick around." She leans closer to Ruby before they leave however and whispers.
    "But I'm not gonna return back to the surface the same way as you. Can't trust the people around you and I wouldn't either if I were you. Just make sure your people tell everyone about what happened here." Irena will then slip away into the darkness and then disappear without a trace as she shadow jumps away.

The others who follow Jaahlyn will return to the site where Ruby and Fade entered the underground tunnel, which is in the middle of the sewers. Here they will find plenty of MERC members waiting for them. Not Dena however. She appears to be elsewhere.
    Two brownskinned goblins raise their guns as the group approaches the entrance. "W-we got people coming up!" One of them call out on a MERC-communicator.
    Jaahlyn raises her hands as to show that she's unarmed as she slowly approaches. "We're with you. There's at least two MERC-members with me." She tells them and will then move out of the way for anyone that wish to exit first. But they might have to deal with the goblins first.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Abandoned Village- Surface

Flicker raises her hands when the guns are pointed at her, shotgun hanging from its strap. "I'm not with MERC. Can I go now without being held up at gunpoint or anything? I don't really like guns." She's got one now, but only because it's harder to hit a small fluffy mammal running away from you with a baseball bat.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

9. - Top - End - #219

[was Abandoned Village]

Holly the Half-Elf comes up in back.
    Her hair has a lot of blood in it. Not just there, but that's where it's most notable.

She makes sure her own (borrowed) shotgun is put down and away, so that there's no danger of anyone thinking she's going to use it.

She spots the goblins' communicator, so she holds up her own. That should be the fastest way to prove/explain things. She steps forwards to them. "Hey," she says. "Know if there's any paperwork I need to take care of? Or need to see my license?" She is...85% sure that she brought her MERC license with her.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-02-21 at 01:00 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

[Out]

She hears nothing out the door, but it should be pointed out that there is a broken window near the door, at the left side of the building. She can't see anyone from it and presumably she's keeping herself below it. But while she can't hear or eventually see anyone outside the door, she can hear something walking outside through that window meaning that someone or someone's are approaching from the left side.
    [Out]

Best move quickly. It's a risk, but better than getting cornered inside of here. Archera swiftly opens the door, swings it closed as quickly and quietly as she can behind her, and quicksteps over to the right side. She wants to dip just around the corner before they round the opposite corner.

"Erm, my plan was to avoid Malechenar's attention actually. I figured that MERC solved it all for them and since they serve money rather than Malechenar directly we could convince them to not tell Malechenar about us." A beat. "Since getting Malechenar's attention would be... bad. We, uh, did some pretty unsavory things when we left the other compound. So it's best to not get into that again. So if we discreetly can get in touch with MERC's leader before they sound the alarm that's be for the best." She turns to Eon. "So what's you plan?"
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Expedition Fishbowl

"I was going to pretend to be a beggar and ask for alms." Maybe not the best plan, but it might work. "If they try to throw me out, I could make a fuss."

"I'm not sure that'd draw attention in any way that'd pull eyes off of us." Korrina replies skeptically. "That does give me an idea, though. You're an unknown here, Eon. You could go up there without any issue, head inside, and negotiate with whoever's in charge to at least here us out. Then we can get Zhareen and I inside with their cooperation."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    [Moth Park]

"Just be careful what you say - I might swoon if you keep being charming, and then you'll have to carry me anyways." Anastasia takes Eliseo's hand and gets to her feet, almost forgetting to sling her sword across her back.
    [Moth Park]

"Well in that case there's nothing I can do about it." The boy winks and laughs. He'll keep a hold of her hand as they start walking back toward his home.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-02-26 at 11:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

Abandoned Village

Fade just steps up after Holly. He shows his MERC badged. (Or whatever MERC people have to proove themself) He nods at Jaahlyn.

"She is right, we are from MERC and she helped us find our ways around the underground paths."

Then he points at Ruby and after that at the half elf in handcufs.

"She's with me, we were send down together and this guy here is someone we found in the tunnels. I need to get him to MERC so he can be questioned about the events down there."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

[Eastside Park]

Seraphina has no idea what Karasu's talking about, when it comes to those games.
    She just stares blankly.
    "Ummmmmm....sure."

Yeah! The store's pretty nice, is something Seraphina might say. She nods. Yeah, that's pretty cool. She sees. Yeah. Might be fun watching a movie in here based on a book just after reading it, she thinks.

"Sure, that sounds fun," Seraphina says. She glances back towards the woman who was accompanying her. "Like Virtual or something? Yeah, should be fine." Getting a book for free would be pretty helpful, especially since Karasu already is here looking for a book. "What do we need to do?"
    [Eastside Park]

Karasu stands there, browsing through some comic books. She glances back at Seraphina, and continues browsing once the other woman breaks the look. She has a smile on her face as she considers being in a book, a smile she only mostly hides behind that book.

"Really? Thank you! I promise you won't regret this!" The woman says excitedly, happy to have a chance to finally test out her idea. She seemingly comes to life even more, bouncing on her feet. "You'd need to follow me into that room there, get into these machines and put on the headset. I'd be outside to upload a book of your choice, ready to pull you out if any complications arise! We can go start now!"

She turns her eyes to the door and yells for her daughter. "Junebug! Please come in here and watch the store while I entertain our guests." In response, Junebug runs in and takes her mother's place. "Yes, momma! You finally got people willing to test that out? Good luck to you, momma!" After mother and daughter hug, the older woman waves to Seraphina and Karasu. "Come with me, please! And please, call me Sarah."
    Love is the message.

13. - Top - End - #223

[Eastside Park]

Seraphina says okay. She gestures back at Karasu for her to follow.

Then, she follows. The yelling for the woman's daughter catches Seraphina's attention a bit, making her pause and turn, but it doesn't stop her from going in. "Okay. Is it fine if I keep my hood up?"

Regardless, she goes in and follows Sarah. "Makes sense that a former movie theater would have something like this, she says. And, whoops! She just realized that she forgot to ask the question that she was going to ask Sarah. Oh well, doesn't really matter now.
    She looks at the machine, and goes towards it.
    She turns back to Karasu again. "Hey, you want to pick the book?" she says.

She steps into the machine and puts on the headset.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground

Two Weeks Ago, In Space

"You've lost it. I can't believe you ****ing lost it, you ****ing idiot. Your stupid little 'Tetragrammatok' project is going to kill us all, and not just here up in orbit, either. The entire ****ing Nexus is going up in flames," Magtok hisses, rifling through drawers, cabinets, and shelves aboard the RV Yersul, a MagFleet research vessel dedicated to unconventional weapons research. Beside him is another Magtok, who is also searching frantically through the orbital research facility's classified genetics laboratory.

"Just shut up and help me find where it went. Once we get it back in the indoctrination tube we can fix this whole mess and I'll show you-"

"Show me what? That Magtoks can put together a nastier apocalypse than any Reinholdt or Calublufiok ever could? We're supposed to stop **** like this, not clone it, you simpleton," Magtok snarls at Magtok. He should've known better than to look the other way when a junior researcher asked him to bend a few rules for 'something exceptional.' When word gets out about what they did, they're both going to get culled for this stupidity. Provided they survive long enough to stand trial, that is. That's looking less and less likely with every passing moment.

"Okay, and we're supposed to stop Reinholdt Prime how, exactly? When he finally shows up after years of hiding and building up his power, while we've just been floating around in space, collecting dust, what do you think is going to happen? The Nexus is weak now. We are weak now. AMEN's collapse has given everyone an excuse to sit on their asses, VIGIL's got its hands full with an eternal demon war, and there's no one left with the kind of power to take on those apocalypse level threats anymore. When the time comes, the world isn't going to save itself. We need a superweapon, and the Tetragrammatok is that weapon."

"Provided it hasn't gone rogue and run away because you left the laboratory unguarded for five minutes," Magtok fires back, glancing at the empty cloning vat, with all of its magical wards, electronic locks, and sophisticated alarm systems left entirely untouched. In fact, if not for the heart monitor going silent, the disappearance probably would've gone unnoticed for at least another fifteen minutes.

"Oh, shut up and keep looking. It can't have gotten far. It's not projected to be capable of long-range telewarp field generation for at least another three months."

Today, Outside a Local Inside Supermarket

A young woman bounds over a parked minivan, slides under an inactive mech, and vaults over a winged horse as she races away from danger. She doesn't understand; she was doing the same thing as everyone else! She picked up the food, she brought it to the woman with the beeping machine, let them scan her items, and then took her things and left. Why did everyone suddenly get so upset? What did she do wrong to make them try to keep her there against her will? It doesn't make any sense at all...unless they're part of the same organization as the men with the white coats and metal faces. Yeah, that could be it, couldn't it? Probably, all the signs and billboards and MagMarts suggest these metal men have a lot of power and sway in this world. She's probably going to have to change address and move to another city again.

"Stop! Thief!" shouts a uniformed thug, chasing after the young woman and her grocery bags. This one is persistent; the last officer to get into a chase like this gave up less than two minutes in. Reaching into her bags, she decides it's time to employ some more drastic measures, and unwraps a strawberry granola bar. She takes a quick bite to recharge her energy, stops running, and closes her eyes. She visualizes herself as she was in that storefront window she passed by a few days ago, with messy, shoulder-length bubblegum pink hair and soft, delicate features A stranger in a strange land, with no place to call home, and just this stupid white diving suit she woke up with and some dingy black coat looted from an ISF surplus store to keep herself warm. She visualizes that same pink-haired woman somewhere else, somewhere safer, somewhere without any cops or guards or metal men actively chasing her. She loses herself in her imagination, letting the fantasy take hold even as handcuffs are brusquely clapped over her wrists. Arcane energies not seen within the Nexus for over a decade coalesce around her, an aura of blood and pomegranate and chocolate-dipped cherries overwhelm the senses, until-

Right Now, In a Filthy Riverside Alleyway

A strange woman falls out of a portal and onto a (fortunately closed) dumpster, her grocery bags hardly doing much to soften the blow when they get caught between her stomach and the dumpster's lid, splattering messily as she bounces off the dumpster and onto the ground. Oh dear, that's unfortunate, isn't it? It takes a moment for her solid-pink scleras to adjust to the difference in lighting in this city of shadows, and another second or two for her to realize that Intersection officer bound her wrists together with something before she vanished. Standing up is suddenly a lot harder than she was expecting, even putting aside the mild headache from bonking her head against the ground. She rolls over and tries sitting up, which helps a little, but...

The Tetragrammatok sighs in defeat, wriggling her arms uselessly as her hair flutters all over her face. Maybe if she hadn't over-committed and put all her energy into transporting herself into another city, she could've spared some for blasting these stupid manacles off her wrists. Now she's stuck here until she can recharge. For three HOURS. At LEAST. Crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

15. - Top - End - #225

[Out]

Spoiler: Map and Legend
    Show

Pink: Archera's Location
    Black Spot: The hole she came from (leading down into the tunnels)
    Red Squares: Windows
    Blue Squares: Doors
    Purple Dots: Where she has heard people being, the purple question mark is a location where they might potentially be.
    Orange Suqare: Old busted car
    Drawn square: The fence around the warehouse
    Drawn blue parts: Gates or doors in the fence.

Since I might have screwed up the description of the warehouse, here is a simple map of it.

Zhareen listens to Eon and then Korrina. "Oh! That's a plan!" She turns back to the prophet. "But I guess I'll leave it up to you what you want to do, Eon. We probably shouldn't antagonize them though I think." A beat. "Darn, I should have made another cake for them. Why do I always think of these things too late? Maybe we could buy a cake for them. Like a peace offering..." Zhareen will likely go through with this part of the plan unless Korrina dissuades her.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-02-24 at 06:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226

A Filthy Riverside Alleyfox

Spoiler
    Show
    A strange woman falls out of a portal and onto a (fortunately closed) dumpster, her grocery bags hardly doing much to soften the blow when they get caught between her stomach and the dumpster's lid, splattering messily as she bounces off the dumpster and onto the ground. Oh dear, that's unfortunate, isn't it? It takes a moment for her solid-pink scleras to adjust to the difference in lighting in this city of shadows, and another second or two for her to realize that Intersection officer bound her wrists together with something before she vanished. Standing up is suddenly a lot harder than she was expecting, even putting aside the mild headache from bonking her head against the ground. She rolls over and tries sitting up, which helps a little, but...

The Tetragrammatok sighs in defeat, wriggling her arms uselessly as her hair flutters all over her face. Maybe if she hadn't over-committed and put all her energy into transporting herself into another city, she could've spared some for blasting these stupid manacles off her wrists. Now she's stuck here until she can recharge. For three HOURS. At LEAST. Crap...

Smacking down onto a large metal bin makes a rather loud racket, doubly so when you've got bags full of perishables in crushable plastic packaging interposed between it and you. With all that in mind, the Tetragrammatok could be forgiven for not hearing a very startled "Eep!" from an area off to the side as she falls onto the pavement behind a convenience store.

"W-whoa! U-um, are you okay?" The girl springs from the wall she was leaning against, a foxlike tail seeming to drift behind her as she stumbles back. She regards the pink-haired woman with confusion and a little bit of nervousness - though the latter is more just her average demeanor than anything about Tetra herself.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

17. - Top - End - #227

A Filthy Riverside Alley

Featureless pink spheres wordlessly stare back at the fox woman. At least...that's probably what they're doing. Hard to be sure, without any sort of pupils or irises in the Tetragrammatok's eyes. Do they function as human eyes do, or take in everything all at once instead? The stranger blinks, silently contemplating her options.

"No. Someone bound my wrists together," the young woman answers plainly, simply stating the obvious, her tone carrying with it no pleading for help, nor the expectation that she'll receive any. She takes a deep breath, rattling the cuffs as her wrists push and pull against their bindings once more. If she keeps this up for much longer she's likely to draw blood, and she won't be any closer to slipping her wrists out of those binds.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

[Out]

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Out]

Best move quickly. It's a risk, but better than getting cornered inside of here. Archera swiftly opens the door, swings it closed as quickly and quietly as she can behind her, and quicksteps over to the right side. She wants to dip just around the corner before they round the opposite corner.
    [Out]

Spoiler: Map and Legend
    Show

Pink: Archera's Location
    Black Spot: The hole she came from (leading down into the tunnels)
    Red Squares: Windows
    Blue Squares: Doors
    Purple Dots: Where she has heard people being, the purple question mark is a location where they might potentially be.
    Orange Suqare: Old busted car
    Drawn square: The fence around the warehouse
    Drawn blue parts: Gates or doors in the fence.

Since I might have screwed up the description of the warehouse, here is a simple map of it.
    [Out]

Best move quickly. It's a risk, but better than getting cornered inside of here. Archera swiftly opens the door, swings it closed as quickly and quietly as she can behind her, and quicksteps over to the broken down car. She vaults herself with her free hand on it's hood, sliding herself over the car, and landing smoothly on the other side in a crouch. She stays in that position, listening for if she was spotted.

19. - Top - End - #229

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    A Filthy Riverside Alley

Featureless pink spheres wordlessly stare back at the fox woman. At least...that's probably what they're doing. Hard to be sure, without any sort of pupils or irises in the Tetragrammatok's eyes. Do they function as human eyes do, or take in everything all at once instead? The stranger blinks, silently contemplating her options.

"No. Someone bound my wrists together," the young woman answers plainly, simply stating the obvious, her tone carrying with it no pleading for help, nor the expectation that she'll receive any. She takes a deep breath, rattling the cuffs as her wrists push and pull against their bindings once more. If she keeps this up for much longer she's likely to draw blood, and she won't be any closer to slipping her wrists out of those binds.

A Filthy Riverside Alley

The teenager blinks, a little taken aback by how unconcerned Tetra seems when she answers. Then she starts to struggle, like she didn't realize there was no way she was going to snap those things apart. Had she never seen handcuffs before?

"W-whoa, hey, stop! Y-you're gonna hurt yourself if you keep doing that!" Ana steps a bit closer. "I uh, I think I might be able to get those off of you. Er, if- if you want."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Abandoned Village -> Sewers]
    "No spiders, only rats and their victims. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we found any down here if we decided to stick around." She leans closer to Ruby before they leave however and whispers.
    "But I'm not gonna return back to the surface the same way as you. Can't trust the people around you and I wouldn't either if I were you. Just make sure your people tell everyone about what happened here." Irena will then slip away into the darkness and then disappear without a trace as she shadow jumps away.

The others who follow Jaahlyn will return to the site where Ruby and Fade entered the underground tunnel, which is in the middle of the sewers. Here they will find plenty of MERC members waiting for them. Not Dena however. She appears to be elsewhere.
    Two brownskinned goblins raise their guns as the group approaches the entrance. "W-we got people coming up!" One of them call out on a MERC-communicator.
    Jaahlyn raises her hands as to show that she's unarmed as she slowly approaches. "We're with you. There's at least two MERC-members with me." She tells them and will then move out of the way for anyone that wish to exit first. But they might have to deal with the goblins first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Flicker raises her hands when the guns are pointed at her, shotgun hanging from its strap. "I'm not with MERC. Can I go now without being held up at gunpoint or anything? I don't really like guns." She's got one now, but only because it's harder to hit a small fluffy mammal running away from you with a baseball bat.
    Holly the Half-Elf comes up in back.
    Her hair has a lot of blood in it. Not just there, but that's where it's most notable.

She makes sure her own (borrowed) shotgun is put down and away, so that there's no danger of anyone thinking she's going to use it.

She spots the goblins' communicator, so she holds up her own. That should be the fastest way to prove/explain things. She steps forwards to them. "Hey," she says. "Know if there's any paperwork I need to take care of? Or need to see my license?" She is...85% sure that she brought her MERC license with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Fade just steps up after Holly. He shows his MERC badged. (Or whatever MERC people have to proove themself) He nods at Jaahlyn.

"She is right, we are from MERC and she helped us find our ways around the underground paths."
    Then he points at Ruby and after that at the half elf in handcufs.
    "She's with me, we were send down together and this guy here is someone we found in the tunnels. I need to get him to MERC so he can be questioned about the events down there."
    Ruby is left wondering how much Irena can be trusted. No further than anyone here, being such a mystery.

But the trip up is much less eventful than the trip down.

"Hey, you finally arrived!" she says to the goblins, like the rat investigation is a party. "We're-"
    Oh no! Fade! He's a mercenary after all!
    What a sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    She'll have to find an excuse to stay close by the prisoner.
    "-so yeah, rats all handled, just cleanup left."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Expedition Fishbowl

Eon nods. "I'll know when it's time to leave." He rubs dirt on his face. Combined with his wild beard and ragged grey hair, he really looks the part. He starts walking towards the Merc offices. "Wish me luck."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR DRUID
    [Buffet Dungeon]

"Everyone knows you can't divide bear numbers, Magda." She holds up her index finger. "See? One bear, like I am. How can you divide that without splitting my finger? It can't be done!"

Then she stops in front of the cage and glances at Magda. "Seriously? Wow, that sucks. Can't you do anything about it?"

But rather than waiting for a reply she will help Magda with bringing out the prisoners out of the cage. The man's question causes her pause however. "Was there anyone you knew, dude? We could have a look around if you give us a description of them or whatever they were wearing."
    "It can totally be done. Like, what if it just turned you into half not a bear? Like you're half purple chick and half bear. That would be a (flowering) travesty and really awkward," Magdalene retorts.

Obviously she has never seen a werebear in hybrid form. Probably because werebeasts are't really a thing where she's from as such.

At the second question she just shrugs. "Not really. It isn't a big deal. Gives me my magic and (rose), so it isn't too bad."

And then survivors!

"I came to this restaurant with my cousin and then we fell asleep? They took him somewhere," the man replies, giving a description.

Magdalene frowns. "They probably took 'em down that middle pathway into Chthon. They might still be alive down there but that place is a literal hellhole."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

[Eastside Park]

Seraphina says okay. She gestures back at Karasu for her to follow.

Then, she follows. The yelling for the woman's daughter catches Seraphina's attention a bit, making her pause and turn, but it doesn't stop her from going in. "Okay. Is it fine if I keep my hood up?"

Regardless, she goes in and follows Sarah. "Makes sense that a former movie theater would have something like this, she says. And, whoops! She just realized that she forgot to ask the question that she was going to ask Sarah. Oh well, doesn't really matter now.
    She looks at the machine, and goes towards it.
    She turns back to Karasu again. "Hey, you want to pick the book?" she says.

She steps into the machine and puts on the headset.
    [Feasts For The Eyes - VR Room]

Karasu, who's been listening all the while, follows rather excitedly. They get a free book out of it too, meaning she can get one more book than she originally planned, making two! Hopefully nothing goes wrong... she'd like to want to visit this place again. "If you wish!" Sarah responds, much to Karasu's dismay. She really wanted to see what was under Seraphina's hood.

The storage room is mostly devoid of furniture, most of the space occupied by a central machine and a number of pods, one of which Seraphina gets into and the other Karasu prepares to enter. There's a chair for Sarah to sit down on while she mans the controls.

"Sure." Karasu thinks for a moment about which book to pick. "Can I pick a comic book or manga?" Sarah nods and Karasu ponders which to choose. "Hmm... how about... the first book in the **** Midnight series?" She asks, picking one at random.

"Sure thing!" Sarah retrieves the book and inserts it into a slot. After the machine scans the contents, it induces the two in an half-awake state. In a matter of moments, they find themseles in an entirely different place, a park in a noir-like city.

"Cool!" Karasu is the first to speak, and she turns to look at her companion. Right now, the two're dressed much like they were in real life, but Seraphina has her head exposed. If Karasu were wearing something on her head, it'd be gone too. They both seem to be wearing a holographic version of the VR Headset, but not to worry, only they can see it!

"Actually works! Cool, right Seraphina?" She asks the other woman.
    Love is the message.

24. - Top - End - #234

A Filthy Riverside Alley

The young woman stares at the foxgirl again, before resuming the very same struggling and straining she was warned against. She stops again moments later, however, when the cuffs start to scratch up her wrists and make this whole ordeal so much worse than it already is. I suppose the fox was right all along, then. Anyone with any degree of common sense could've figured that out on their own, but I guess this idiot had to see for herself first.

"Okay, fine. But if you try anything, I'll-" Tetra puts on her best scowl, but can't think of a suitably intimidating threat to pair it with. There's only so much about her powers and identity that she can safely tell this complete stranger, and she probably doesn't look all that menacing with her wrists bound like this.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Underhill Draconic Branch Museum]

Turge nods to Nocturne before heading around the corner and entering his office. There are various draconic pictures about and a dragon tooth on his desk, but much of it is professional and boring. There's even a doctorate hanging on the wall.

He takes to digging in a filing cabinet. "Yeah, all of em are here. We keep three security guards on the graveyard shift. You already met Vreig Hardchew. The big fellow's Rhaz Grurqoz. And the cranky centaur with a bad attitude is Eudyne Nikania." He finds the keys he was looking for and swivels back to the MERCs, sliding them across the desk. "The gold one's the one you want," he explains, the keyring having a few options on it, mostly in silver.

"I also made sure the janitor stayed late tonight. Qraiw Rhiyin. She wasn't on overnight when the theft took place cause she usually leaves around 8 pm and comes back around 6am. But she was the first one to discover and report that Life's Limit was missing."

Noc gives most of the room a politely curious appraisal, except for the dragon tooth, which he lingers on for several seconds, idly wondering what kind of price it'd fetch on the Skyside market, before dismissing the thought from his head. They're here to catch thieves - stealing from your own client would be poor practice.

"Who do you think we should speak to first? Who would have been closest to the scene of the theft?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Fayyaad thinks the situation over, considering what other information they're going to need, in addition to Nocturne's question.

"How long had the item been there before the theft? And how long had you known you would receive it?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

The Ms. J. Investigation

Anika crosses her arms over her chest. "Only if you call him right now and arrange a meeting. Wenomir was also part demon too, y'know? But he cleansed himself so he can probably do the same for you. You're a fellow warrior, right? So all you need is a good training montage or whatever and you learn to defeat your demonic side in a epic duel as you while you and Wenomir get over your differences."
    The Ms. J Investigation

"If only it were so simple."
    Jezebel says, giving a heavy sigh as she turns to look through her books, seemingly searching for one in particular. "This isn't just a case of spiritual or physical corruption. I've fought such and won out at least twice. If I wanted to reverse this, I'd likely have to put an entire civilization to the sword. What happened was a Rite of Ascension, not just an infusion of external spirit. Literally thousands or tens of thousands of people were convinced I was a goddess, and all that belief and faith was manipulated by another person to be put through me. I was shaped, unwillingly, by that force. Keeping hold of my mind and ego was all I could do even as my body was taken away from me and changed. In a way, it's not so far from when I was considered the Goddess of The Gardens, but more advanced and with a different appearance. And that's all this is. Appearance. And judging me based off of what I look like is kind of...shallow to put it politely. " Jezebel points out before pausing her search with a frown on her face. "There is no "demonic side", Anika. Just me. Whatever I am now. And that's not a demon despite appearances. If anything, I'm probably more akin to a quasi-deity or a newly born Fae. The spooky kind rather than fauns and pixies. If you're searching for a real daemon, I could Call one forth if you'd prefer though." She says, finding an incredibly large tome and pulling it off the shelf to set on a table. It is covered in rusted chains, seems to drip steaming blood, and is the size of a shoebox. "Actually, why are you here?"

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [The Lotus Gardens]

Wenomir almost leaps out of his seat, his hand going to where his sword's hilt would be if he had it on him. To his credit, he composes himself quickly, but there was a brief moment when he reflexively went into a danger reaction.

"What happened?" he asks. "Is Tellysandra somehow responsible?"
    The Lotus Gardens

And the lack of sword is why Jezebel chose to reveal herself in part. Jezebel doesn't miss the move of his hand, but she isn't insulted by it. She'd have done the same, truth be told. "A long story, but in essence, I was summoned against my will and put through a massive ritual designed to empower me. To what ends, I have no idea. None. Likely to just see if it were possible to do." She admits, taking another sip of her ReCaff. As the caffeine, or the placebo effect of it, hits her she gives a pleased sigh. "It happened a while ago, hence why I have kept my distance for a time, but I am certain I am in control of my own faculties at the very least."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Turge throws his hands up a little, frustrated at the situation. "They SHOULD have been on patrol throughout the museum. Any of them would have passed by the area and OUGHT to have looked in there and seen it missing, well before the janitor came in. I can't verify ANY of that because the camera footage is missing. So maybe start with Eudyne. She was supposed to be watching the cameras, at least according to Vreig and Rhaz." The orc rubs his head. "The one thing I can tell you for certain is that the laser grid protecting the room the artifact was in was not turned off, nor tripped, and was active the whole night. I was able to verify that discreetly with the tech company that handles the automatic alarm portion of security. Same with the wards against teleportation."

He takes a moment to think back, pulling up a drawer in his desk to flip through some memos. "We had it for... five days I guess. And knew about it for..." He flips through some more. "About a week before it arrived. Not exactly a lot of forewarning in terms of what we usually get, but this wasn't to be a display piece, so we didn't need a month to reconsider exhibit spacing."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-03-03 at 12:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

[The Lotus Gardens]

To say Wenomir doesn't look amused by this would be a grave understatement. He lets out a deep, tired sigh. Why must this always happen to people around him?

"That is an incredible amount of effort to expend just to see if you can. Or torment someone. If there's a chance Tellysandra has something to do with it... that changes our outlook on the deal considerably. On top of everything else it implies."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

30. - Top - End - #240

[Sewers==> Streets]

As soon as the goblins see Fade present the badge they relax. "Oh, mister Fade, sir. We, uh, didn't recognize you at first! Miss Holly too, please just climb up the ladder to the left and you'll be out of here."

They move aside, letting them through into the sewer proper where it's just slightly less narrow than the cave system they just left. Unless anyone in the group has other ideas they will be helped to the surface where more MERC-members are awaiting them.

If Ruby don't want Amalungak to be taken to MERC, now might be the time to act. Though there are quite a number of mercenaries both in the sewers and on the streets above. Dena is noticeably not there however but Amalungak might notice Tarim (again, looking similar to this, but in a full-body silver lined armor) who standing some distance away from the mercenaries at street level. He and some curious civilians are the only people that aren't with MERC here.

"Looks like the only thing left is to bring him in to custody, yes?" Jaahlyn remarks as they finally can breath fresh air again.
    Unless of course Ruby decides to act before they climb up to the surface.

[Buffet Dungeon]

Magda's comment gives Anika pause.
    Half a bear? Wait, was that what the keepers and dryads were? Anika had always heard they were Cenarius children but maybe some of them were just druids that hadn't properly shapeshifted? Could she become a bearyad if she wanted to? These were questions that had to be answered.

But unfortunately she couldn't linger long on the potential existence of bearyads. No, there was evil afoot and potentially more people to save. "Well, I've been down plenty of hellholes before so I say we try to save 'em if we can. It's just going in there, kill some bad dudes and then chug them out, right?"

[Out]

The old door betrays Archera as it creaks slightly when she opens it and after a moment she can hear someone call out. "Hello?!" Though by that point she has already closed it and made a run for the car.

As she ducks for cover she can see what can assumed to be MERC-members coming around both sides of the warehouse. They're all armed but only one of them (a male human in modern-looking clothing), coming from the right side, have actually drawn their firearm and is aiming it at the door where Archera was moments ago.

None of them seem to have actually noticed her yet though.

The Ms. J. Investigation

Anika looks confused to say at least. Was Jezebel honestly claiming that she had ascended to become some kind of demi-god? She found that very hard to believe.
    But then she suddenly asks that all-important question, why was she here?
    That throws a wrench in her entire bear of thought which runs right over a cliff as she suddenly has to recall why she was even going to Jezebel's mansion in the first place.

Then she recalled, there was something on her, wasn't there? She starts to pat her pockets until she suddenly feels what she was looking for. The communicators!
    "Um... I was supposed to give you this." Anika remarks sheepishly as she takes out and offers a pack of new VIGIL-exclusive communicators to Jezebel. It would be more than enough for her and her closest followers.

Then she adds. "But couldn't you look, uh, a bit less demonic then? Like, appearances matters, y'know. That's why people were shouting out from their windows offering me sex and stuff while I made my way here. I've been informed those were prostitutes but they still noticed me, didn't they?"