New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Visual & audio acuity & cognition studies

Yes, I'm working out a perception system for a game that dosen't have one.

Actually I'm going to work out a % based chart or spreadsheet that should be easily convertable to different systems. What I'm looking for are actual papers/pdfs of studies into human vision and hearing. I'm mostly focused on how far away and how distinct things have to be in order to be recognized and understood.

I'm posting this here because internet searches keep getting jammed up with piles of "at 2m tall the horizon of Earth is so far away" and "at such a distance a rock concert is as loud as a whisper", the general useless junk.

The only thing I've got so far (ok, I only started looking today) is a paper by a Loftus and Harley on facial recognition using a distance as filtering technique. They took about 60 people and checked recognition of celebrities faces by distance, shrinking the image, and blurring the image. They got a distance - shrink - blur ratio to use in measurement and testing. There was, best of all, a nice % face recognition by distance chart in the final conclusion.

I've almost gotten lucky with some traffic accident studies, but they never got to the sorts of conclusions with numbers that I needed.

Anyone know of some good resources for this stuff?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Visual & audio acuity & cognition studies

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Yes, I'm working out a perception system for a game that dosen't have one.

Actually I'm going to work out a % based chart or spreadsheet that should be easily convertable to different systems. What I'm looking for are actual papers/pdfs of studies into human vision and hearing. I'm mostly focused on how far away and how distinct things have to be in order to be recognized and understood.

I'm posting this here because internet searches keep getting jammed up with piles of "at 2m tall the horizon of Earth is so far away" and "at such a distance a rock concert is as loud as a whisper", the general useless junk.

The only thing I've got so far (ok, I only started looking today) is a paper by a Loftus and Harley on facial recognition using a distance as filtering technique. They took about 60 people and checked recognition of celebrities faces by distance, shrinking the image, and blurring the image. They got a distance - shrink - blur ratio to use in measurement and testing. There was, best of all, a nice % face recognition by distance chart in the final conclusion.

I've almost gotten lucky with some traffic accident studies, but they never got to the sorts of conclusions with numbers that I needed.

Anyone know of some good resources for this stuff?
    On the long distance scale, you might want to make sure your system works with absolute and apparent magnitudes of stars at interstellar distances. There, at least, there are plenty of hard numbers for you to crunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Well go to the expers: https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-...20-vision-mean

The also have brief on the eye chart, but there's bound to be more on that one. But basically could get one measure the size of the actual letters and it says on what distances normal sight can distinguish somethign well enough.

So if the Es on the top row of the chart are say 10cm high then at 30m distance you should able to recognize an object of that size in some detail.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

2nd Edition AD&D PHB has a great table that says how far away you can see a human-sized figure at various levels of movement and identification. Page 117.

According to that, you can see a human moving at 1500 yards, stationary at 1000 yards, and can make out their size, shape, and overall color at 500 yards, and identify someone at 100 yards, and read their facial expressions at 10 yards.

It seems reasonable to me.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season