New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Positive GMPC experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    My definition of a GMPC is a character that the GM considers "his PC". He actually has some personal investment in the success or failure of this character different from all the NPCs that he also runs, in that he is doing well if this character does well, and doing poorly if this character does poorly.
    This is pretty much how I see it. Anything else is some flavor of NPC.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Positive GMPC experiences?

My first BECMI campaign we shared the DMing. I remember no issues with people favoring their own character. A few games since where GMing moved around without issues re the GM's character

A Changeling game where the GM ran a character who was, by any normal interpretation a GMpc. The GM often hit "her" character first if we got ambushed which meant if anyone went down and missed the rest of the fight it was probably the GMPC - so that was good. She joined the character interactions a bit but wasn't a particularly dominant character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusvul View Post
    The bare minimum for an okay DMPC is not stealing the spotlight. A great DMPC is also able to contribute to problem-solving in unintrusive ways without stepping on other characters' toes, and is an interesting (or, let's face it, probably mostly just funny) character in their own right.
    Works. I like to sometimes have my NPCs/GMPCs to ask the dumb question that moves the conversation along. When the party needs to get up a cliff and their plan starts at the top of a cliff and goes from there "How do we get up the cliff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So I think visually DMPCs look like PCs. An NPC might be a knight, but a DMNPC is a Knight riding a totally sick werewolf that is her transformed boyfriend wielding a lance of light. The wizard that accompanies them to explain lore is an NPC, but Gerald Hearthsaver of the Million Spelltattoes is probably a DMNPC. In other words, PCs look like derpy super heroes almost every time and NPCs look like they fit in to the setting.
    Wait, your PCs look like That???!!!
    Last edited by Duff; 2020-12-02 at 09:26 PM.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!