New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Question What are you listening to right now?

And how is it?

Right now I'm listening to Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man. Even if you don't know the name, you'd probably recognize the theme:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: What are you listening to right now?

Well, you`ve got the taste.

I think my music taste is not as sophisticated as yours.
    but check this video clip out Kodaline - All I want, I think it`s cool when a song tells us a story.
    Let`s play and have lots of fun
    https://buyviews.com/subpals

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Right now my two favorite songs are "Hero Too", the song from My Hero Acadamia Season 4 that I was not expecting to love as much as I do, and "One Hell of a Team", a song based on Hazbin Hotel.

I also remain a huge fan of Miracle of Sound. My favorite song by them is probably either "The Path" or "Jet Fuel Heart", but he's got a lot of songs (180+ last I checked?) in a wide variety of genres and styles, and I enjoy most of them (honestly, the variety probably plays a large part in that; it means I can listen to the whole playlist on YouTube without getting sick of the repetition, and I don't think I could do that for any of my other beloved artists).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

The Eve of the War, by Jeff Wayne.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've been listening to all manner of things. A personal favorite of mine at the moment is Achilies Come Down by Gang of Youths.

Also been listening to a lot of Elephant Revival. I'd share some videos but I can apparently only do one. Give Drop, Ancient Sound and Remembering A Beginning a go.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-12-06 at 11:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Stan Rogers , "First Christmas" , a beautiful heart breaking song.

Sorry, I need to call my Dad now...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

I have been working my way through Post Modern Jukebox.

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

Mostly the Holiday music stations my wife loves this time of year.

On my own it's usually audiobooks. For music lately I've had an itch to replay some playlists of music from adventure films, mostly from the 80's and 90's.

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

Various Persona 5 battle music.

They did a live version of Last Surprise at the video game awards
    https://twitter.com/thegameawards/st...595586?lang=en

And then I started re-listening to the others. Rivers in the Desert is just so good.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Lots of older and recent Metal mostly.

Seems Christmas makes me more metally than normal.

Plus a third Album of my favorite Band Teamup came out not too long ago and I missed it (granted, the break was 15 frigging yesars....^^).

So if youa re into powerful/thematic Metal with a clear Epic direction, give Demons and Wizards a hear, especially III, their newest one.

This Link is for Stormwind Archive Readers specifically, but the other songs are also good to great. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5Cc9jYygg
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Ar Tonelico Hymnos; at the moment, METHOD_METAFALICA .

Hymnos is a conlang used in the Ar Tonelico gameworld universe to control the in-universe computer servers. These systems, as in the movie Tron, have the ability to digitize physical objects and to manifest digital artifacts in the real world -- the act of manifesting, say, a fireball from digital reality to the real world is called "Song Magic", and the songs which perform these feats are all written in Hymnos. Some of the songs important to the plot have orchestral arrangements and voices. My favorite is probably EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY , but most of them are extremely good.

So yes, it's a world where computers are interfaced with not with mouse and keyboard, but with song. and computer programs are sung, rather than written. As a software engineer and a former musician, I find the premise enchanting.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2020-12-22 at 10:05 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mostly stuff I'm working on (album should be out in March!) but in between that on a sad synthpop kick. Just picked up Mr.Kitty's most recent on vinyl, and have been OBSESSED with Empathy Test for the past year. One of these three songs is my favorite and I could not tell you which.

Bare My Soul
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QmPvLUdooY
    Losing Touch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-w1RNzN5EA
    Here Is The Place
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KyC4SmiGYs

And their 2020 album is easily one of my favorites from this year
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1GbBddA94Y

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Variations on the Resolve by Deadlife. Specifically Dreaming in the Garden, right now. Wonderful stuff.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Ar Tonelico Hymnos;
    Yes, that's a game series that I fell in love with when, after I completed a fetch quest for an NPC, she proceeded to sing to me.

On a different note, I've been listening to the Andrews Sisters. Well, watching a movie with Abbot & Costello and the Andrews Sisters, but the impetus for this was the Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Enya - The Celts album. Something about that album puts me in the mood to do game prep. Well, that and the Conan soundtracks..

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I've entered 2 musical tunnels.. one being Billie Eilish, one of the few artists of today that makes me believe that new things can still be created at high quality levels

and Postmodern Jukebox.. they're just incredibly talented.

I'm also spending an unhealthy amount of time watching people react to the classics that are dear to me.. watching them be amazed makes me wish I could listen to certain standards for the first time all over again.
    Last edited by dehro; 2021-01-13 at 12:06 PM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Murgen View Post
    I have been working my way through Post Modern Jukebox.
    Ahh yes... I'm am listening to/watching those as well. Which then lead me to watching a lot more of Puddles Pity Party videos.

I mostly watch those to waste time at work but then on the drive home I want to listen to my true loves... hard rock/heavy metal. I seem to be enjoying a lot of British metal bands the most like Bring Me the Horizon, Architects, and While She Sleeps.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I've entered 2 musical tunnels.. one being Billie Eilish, one of the few artists of today that makes me believe that new things can still be created at high quality levels

and Postmodern Jukebox.. they're just incredibly talented.

I'm also spending an unhealthy amount of time watching people react to the classics that are dear to me.. watching them be amazed makes me wish I could listen to certain standards for the first time all over again.
    Yeah, during lockdown, I've spent waaayyy too much time watching reactors on YouTube. LOL
    It is gratifying though, to see young people discovering great music, and appreciating how truly amazing music can be!
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Loads of different things, which is typical for me I guess as I cannot seem to settle on anything specific.

Exactly right now it is the soundtrack of Bubblegum Crisis - for each episode there was a full-length album composed and of really good quality too. The whole series starts like this. Worth checking out for the imagery, music and overall climate, but it has some deficiencies in the plot departament as there seems to be no continuity, which is a shame.

Movie scores for Fearless and Tai Chi Master help me focus recently.

And fairly recently I found Blackmore's Night and Low Roar - loving every moment of their records.

edit: and the soundtrack for Mysterious Cities of Gold has so many great tracks as well. It was a good time for animated series (Ulysses 31 anyone?)
    Last edited by Radar; 2021-01-15 at 06:50 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Pete Seeger. Lots of Pete Seeger.

A few just know him as the guy singing on the Toyota commercial, or may know him as the happy guys singing " The Garden Song" or "Good Night Irene".

Fewer know him as a bad@$$ who fought with the government and lost a decade of his career. Or the guy supporting the Unions when killing strikers was not unheard of.

Or the civil rights man who gave us "If I had a Hammer" or the guy who helped change public opinion of the Vietnam War or spent his golden years cleaning up the polluted Hudson River.

I think we need him more than ever.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfFighterGuy

Currently, Beltaine- Rockhill on loop. An Astrailhad is excellent theme music for nomadic horsepeople cultures.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by dehro
    So, what are the classics dear to you?

Originally Posted by Radar
    …and the soundtrack for Mysterious Cities of Gold has so many great tracks as well.
    Do you mean the original from the 80s?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    So, what are the classics dear to you?
    all sorts really.. from Neil Young to Woodie Guthrie, Bob Dylan to 80's rock ballads, from Queen to the Doors, Nina Simone to Steve Marriott, Led Zeppelin, Urriah Heep, Journey, Michael Jackson, Cab Calloway, prog rock with Focus or Jethro Tull, Santana, Aretha Franklin, Bobby McFerrin, Bob Marley, AC/DC, the Sugarhill Gang, Aerosmith, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, classic opera arias, Manu Chao.. stuff that was on the charts in the 90's like RHCP, the Cranberries, ... this is just off the top of my head, but really a bit of everything.
    some of the reactions I have seen really do emote with the music, or the lyrics, or both.. and occasionally you discover a new interpretation for a song you thought you knew, which is also interesting.
    It's interesting to see stuff I grew up with being discovered by a new generation or by people outside of the usual target demographic
    Last edited by dehro; 2021-01-16 at 04:58 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

GnomePirate

I have been listening to Puya, a band I first saw live at a bar back in the 90s. Puerto Rican Heavy Metal is awesome!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Listening to right this second?

Features the singers from Rammstein and Ghost.

But here's a few more that have a great sound that I like.

This

and

This

26. - Top - End - #26

Came across a new band Tvinna oddly through a Youtube recommendation. Has one of my favorite singers Eivor as a contributor on the track Kreiz. To my surprise one of the founders was Fiona Frewert formerly of Faun (another group I enjoy). Kind of wondered what she was doing since she left after being in that group for 20 years. Vocals are spot on and music isn't that bad. The video is meh but in all a decent track. Looking forward to what they do next.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The Foundation game soundtrack (the medieval town building, nothing to do with Asimov).

I found the game, I liked the premise and wanted to support the developer, so I bought it even if my computer can not pull it off well at the moment.

And the soundtrack is now my go-to work soundtrack. Really - I have spent few work days listening to this and my productivity goes up anytime I start it.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Do you mean the original from the 80s?
    There was a remake? I honestly did not know. But yes, the very original from the 80's. My favorites are I guess those two: The Condor Takes Flight and St. Elmo's Fire.

A lot of cartoons (and movies obviously) from that time had pretty amazing original soundtracks.

As I often listen to music, when I work, game soundtracks work pretty well often. Currently I shuffle FTL, Into the Breach and Trackmania for that purpose.
    Last edited by Radar; 2021-01-18 at 07:38 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post

A lot of cartoons (and movies obviously) from that time had pretty amazing original soundtracks.
    Whether they watched them or not, In Italy, an entire generation (more than one more likely) has grown up on 70's-80's soundtracks from..mostly anime, and a few western cartoons... that is, Italian soundtracks, not the original ones.
    I would argue that most people my age still know quite a few of those songs.. the nostalgia factor is strong.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Whether they watched them or not, In Italy, an entire generation (more than one more likely) has grown up on 70's-80's soundtracks from..mostly anime, and a few western cartoons... that is, Italian soundtracks, not the original ones.
    I would argue that most people my age still know quite a few of those songs.. the nostalgia factor is strong.
    Interestingly, quite a few anime available in Poland in the early 90's were with Italian dubbing for some reason (with Polish lector on top of that). Since I did not know anything about Italian or Japanese languages it did not make any difference, but revisiting those anime with original dubbing gives me a weird dissonance.