New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Celtic's Curse of Strahd (IC)

Sora'Shana
    AC: 15 | HP: 25/25 | HIT DIE: 3d10 | INSPIRATION: 0
    Sanity: 10 (+0) | Passive Perception: 10 | Passive Insight: 12
    Conditions: ---

''I agree with Axton. Besides, we've barely just walked in. Let's just take a second to consider that we're going up against a vampire. Now, I can't say I know too much about vampires, but for what i do know, that means we'll probably be sleeping with one eye open once he knows we're after him... We should try to enjoy tonight while we still can.''

She tries to smile reassuringly to her party but she can hardly hide the shaking of her hand as she downs her ale.

''Anyone up for another pint?''
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-11-17 at 10:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

The rogue was glad her hood was pulled over her face. She should have expected the bait and switch for this quest. The whole reason she joined the company was to avoid the dangers of getting arrested or killed by the guards, and earning gold for herself without those risks. But this seemed above her pay grade, and she had a feeling there was still more danger they didn't know about.

At the same time, she agreed to do the job, and backing out would just cause more trouble with the company. And if they pulled this off, that would probably boost her standing with them all, and the job itself might tighten her bond with some skilled adventurers, which was useful. She still wasn't certain what to make of them, but they seemed like they were better to have on her side. She really hoped they would all be able to get out of this mission alive.

But all that was hopefully a problem for tomorrow."I believe starting tomorrow morning is best."
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo
    AC: 17 | HP: 30/30 | HIT DIE: 2/2 d10, 1/1 d8 | INSPIRATION: 0
    Sanity: 9 (+1) | Passive Perception: 11 | Passive Insight: 13

There doesn't seem to be any resentment to being outvoted. In fact, Reinaldo holds out his arms and jests, "Let nobody say I was the one to vote we stick around to spend your tab, my friend," he tells their employer, whose name he missed and doesn't bother asking to his face. "But I won't say no," taking up the mug Sora'Shana had brought him, he raises it in cheers to the man and takes a long quaff of the beverage within.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Arrigal let out a small bit of laughter at the party's banter before nodding his head, spreading his arms wide as he agreed, "Paranoia is never a bad thing to possess; I imagine that spirit will aid you immensely in your time in Barovia. We shall leave after our morning meal- if you'll excuse me I must expand my tab to compensate for staying the night. No worries on your part about money; Barovians use the same currency as everywhere else and I have plenty of it."

Arrigal rose from the table, leaving you all to your own devices for the night. You would later find out that he had purchased the entirety of the tavern's rooms and still had to have some of his people sleep in the wagons outside. The Vistani had come en masse it seemed.

- - -

You awake to a wonderful smell coming from downstairs as well as hushed discussion. The tavern was almost like a mirror of the night before, except with less drunken revelry and more hungover recovery. Arrigal was still in chipper spirits, and greets each of you as you pass downstairs with a warm smile, "Ladies, gentlemen, heroes! Good morning- try not to take too much time with breakfast. We've a long journey ahead- speaking of which I took the liberty of attaching your wagon and horse to one of our larger caravans. That way you can rest your feet inside one of our traveling tents, you must be so weary from yesterday's walk, no?"
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

5. - Top - End - #35

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

"Glad to hear it, my good man! I will certainly not argue with resting my legs during our journey!" Reinaldo waves at the tavernkeeper at Arrigal's urging to be quick with their morning meal. "Some bread and scrambled eggs, if you please."

6. - Top - End - #36

Flumph

Sora'Shana

Sora' rises early, as she usually does, the memories of another life still disorienting her senses. To reacclimate herself to the physical laws of the material plane she undergoes her usual meditations, chanting the familiar words under her breath to focus her mind. A proper sense of who she is slowly washes over, coming then receding, steady like a wave, until it finally crystallizes.
    Once the memories of the night have faded away she gets dressed, ties her hair in a loose ponytail and packs her things before going downstairs to greet the others. She is silent this morning as she eats hurriedly, pondering of the task ahead of them. She welcomes Arrigal's comment about resting their feet with an approving smile and steps outside to see if she can lend a hand in any of the preparations. She is also curious to learn more about these Vistani, so she will engage in conversation if anyone tries to talk to her.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-11-19 at 11:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Axton, wandering hero & hedge knight
    AC: 16 (18) | HP: 31 | CURRENT: 31 | HIT DIE: 3d10 | INSPIRATION: 0
    Sanity: 11 (+0) | Passive Perception: 10 | Passive Insight: 10
    Active Effects: Sword & Shield (AC 18)
    Conditions: None.

Baelor talked with their host into the night, switching to water mid-way through their conversation, simply so he'd have his wits about him come morning. He was trying to learn more of the Vistani people, Barovia, and their employer, Kolyan Indirovich. He eventually made his exit, wishing his hosts a good night as they continued their own celebrations, and settled down for a fitful night's sleep. His dreams were plauged by strange flashes, images and imaginings prompted by the adventure that lay before them, they seemed dire, but were soon dispelled by morning's light.

He awoke early, washing himself in the basin, before moving down to the common room, spotting the Innkeep he asked for a cold plate of cheese, cured meats, dried apple, and a skin of goat's milk. Nodding his thanks, he moved towards the yard at the exterior of the inn, nodding at some vistani milling about preparing for the day's journey. Spotting an old stump he placed his breakfast upon it, stripped to the waist, and grabbed sword and shield, and ran through forms, blocking, advancing, parry, riposte, thrust, retreat, clear, and slash. As he noted Reinaldo come down, he moved to the horses trough and washed the sweat from his body, before dunking his head beneath the surface. He toweled dry while buttoning up his tunic, before putting on padded jerkin and scale armor, beginning to sort and care for his weapons.

"Morning Rein, hopefully you had a sound night's sleep." He moved to the stump, and began picking at the meat and cheese he had been provided by the inn. Yesterday's sparring match had not been lost on him, "Where did you learn to wield the great sowrd? Your stance, yesterday, was very grounded, a slow assault, but a solid base." He nodded, recalling the movements, "Very resilient."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-11-20 at 09:06 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

After polishing off a quick breakfast, Reinaldo steps outside to breathe in the crisp morning air. "Ah, good morning Axton. Slept soundly as a babe!" He's not yet dressed up in his armor for the day, the pieces hanging off of his backpack. He's wearing a white tunic with two long stripes that travel over the shoulders, tucked into a pair of dark trousers.

Dropping off his backpack against the wall of the inn, he begins detaching pieces of his armor to assemble and suit up. "You've an eye for techniques, hm?" Reinaldo smirks at Axton's comments. "I was instructed by my foster father, Guildmaster Reyes. The style favors great weapons with a broad blade, to use it in defense and make up for the lack of a shield. Not that I always lack a shield," with one foot he taps the round wooden shield hanging off of his pack. "And of course making the most of your armor is vital. Getting hit doesn't always mean getting hurt if you know how to glance it off the surface."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Baelor nodded as he talked to his companion, "My grandfather preferred the greatsword, for reach, leverage, and it's crushing impact, I tend to use it against heavily armored foes," he was scanning the morning crowd of vistani wistfully as he talked. Suddenly however, he neemed to focus on a singularily tall individual, cloaked in a tattered black cloak, the dull glean of burnished steel plate visible beneath, and a long, scabbarded greatsword at his hip. He watched him move across the crowd, before disappearing behind a corner.

He shook his head, returned his attentions to Reinaldo, "Sorry," another glance, "thought I spotted a familiar face. Mistaken, obviously." A pause, "I prefer broadsword and shield when outnumbered, provides a defence against slingers and archers, while proving to be a suitably mobile defense against multiple attack lines." He stowed his gear in the Vistani wagon, hopped up to the rear-most footboard, and lounged on the bed of the wagon nibbling at his breakfast, "Have you encountered anything like this Strahd fellow before, the undead?" The last question was not specifically focused on Reinaldo, but all his companions.

10. - Top - End - #40

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

Casting a lazy glance over at where Axton had been staring, Reinaldo rumbles a hearty chuckle. "What's wrong, seen a ghost?" he jests, climbing up into the back of the wagon after double checking that his mule and cart were hooked up to the caravan. "Naturally," Reinaldo answers boastfully when questioned about his experiences with undead. Raising one hand, he places it upon the symbol of Waukeen he wears.

"I may not worship a god of light, but paladins are quite sought after when it comes to hunting the living dead. Our shining blades banish twisted spirits as readily as rotten flesh." The mercenary's eyes, closed with confident pride, open up as he lowers his hand back to his side, looking back off the rear of the wagon. "Now, I can't honestly say I've fought a vampire before, specifically. I hear they are quite more cunning than your average ghoul."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

Waiting to leave until morning was absolutely the correct choice. The only flaw was that it meant actually leaving in the morning. Rogues were not meant to be morning people, and she was no exception.

So as her companions discussed swordplay, Jane stood off to the side, her hood up. She was awake enough to roll her eyes at their contact's calling them heroes, but she otherwise stayed out of all conversations.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

As breakfast was served and eaten, Arrigal was deep in conversation with his Vistani fellows. The specifics of his conversation elude you as the droll of the crowd overwhelms it, but it's finished as soon as it began. Arrigal clapped his hands together twice very loudly, almost as if it was something he was practiced at doing. When he did so, the Vistani rose from their tables in unison and began to pack what few things they had brought inside. Arrigal walked towards your group and nodded, his face looking more somber than it did in the past, "It is time to go."

The Vistani caravans outside shone more brightly now that the sun was up. The kaleidoscopic patterns on the tarps of the wagons almost hurt the eyes to look upon but gave an air of pleasantry nonetheless. Arrigal lifted the flaps on one of the wagons, and nodded, "You'll be riding in the back of mine. Please, don't look outside during the journey. These artifices have been magically enhanced to produce greater speeds while maintaining a perfectly steady interior. If the wagon becomes depressurized, bad things will happen."
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

13. - Top - End - #43

Flumph

Sora'Shana

Settling into the wagon, Sora' joins in conversation with her companions:

'I've had a few brushes against the undead, but usually unintentionally - and never something as powerful as a vampire. I remember one quarry in particular... The client told me I was going after a serial killer, some madman who was plucking off his victims during the night. As soon as I studied the first corpse, I should've known something was off - the poor chap seemed to have been sucked dry - but I thought it may be some kind of wizard, you know? Who can really tell, nowadays, with all these crazy magic users running around? The first thing your mind goes too definitely isn't undead creature of the night, anyways. So I spent a few moons tracking him, but turns out the nut was really great at covering his tracks. And things really started going South when that first corpse I'd studied disappeared a few nights later, leaving another trail of deaths in it's wake... Suddenly, it was a race against the watch; 'had to convince the City officials to burn all of the corpses from the killer in case they all rose back to unlife...'

She pauses before finishing:

'In any case, happy ending: I got the help from some priest who knew how to track the suckers and we put them back to rest, the lot of 'em. It was a pretty intense battle, you know? The things can pull the life force right out of you with a touch. Terrifying! But you know what was the worst part about those.. things? Can't Mindlink with them. When I finally caught up to the madman I tried - helps me read my opponents - and all I could feel was a seething hatred. I still remember the pain I felt from that Link, like a scar burned into my mind.'
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-11-25 at 02:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

"Magical wagons, yet?" Reinaldo looks around at the wagon interior, impressed. "Convenient! Although it is a shame we will be deprived the view of the countryside. Ah, but will the horses and mule be alright outside of it?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

Jane genuinely tried to follow the telepath's story, because it sounded important. But it was still early morning, and she found herself drifting off to sleep.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't worry about the animals worry more about yourselves. As long as the curtain stays drawn, you should be fine," Arrigal nodded before taking the reigns. Assuming you all venture inside the wagon, Arrigal and the rest of the vistani in his caravan whip the horses into action. You don't feel like you're moving, everything inside the wagon remains perfectly motionless, but those of you with a magical bent can tell that the weave has some sort of peculiar draw on the cart, unlike anything you've sensed before.

The first few minutes were fine, though the next were stranger. The daylight had shifted from a bright yellow to a sickly green. Soon all of the wagon began to shine with that strange color, hurting your eyes as you're forced to stare at it.

Spoiler: Arcana DC 14
    Show
    The wagon's enchantment isn't aligned to any school of magic or even the universalist philosophy. It is something outside of the norm.

Spoiler: Arcana DC 16
    Show
    The green light has almost the same mystical assortment as the wagon, but something still seems off...

Spoiler: Arcana DC 18
    Show
    The green light's origins don't appear to be from the Material Plane. Whatever this wagon is enchanted to do, part of it relates to interplanar travel.

17. - Top - End - #47

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

After settling into the wagon, Reinaldo takes off his armored gloves, though keeps his chainmail on for now. Looking around at the lights flashing beyond the cloth, he raises an eyebrow. "Huh, figured super fast wagons would glow like Evocation or Transmutation," he says, with a wide grin that says he enjoys lording a bit of know how over those who may... not know how.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Baelor felt an odd sensation roll over him as the wagon began to move, it's magic washing through the vehicle itself. He squinted his eyes, looked around, and shrugged. "Not a magic I'm familiar with," a smirk, "but that leaves alot of room for it to still *be* magic." With that said, he leaned back against his pack, and pulled a hid over his eyes, Jane had a good idea he though, as he began to let himself drift off to sleep. The constant, steady motion of the wagon would, presumably, shift when they approached their destination, this Barovia. And he wanted to be well rested and alert when meeting their employer for the first time.

19. - Top - End - #49

Flumph

Sora'Shana

Sora' was impressed with the magic, like her comrades, but didn't feel she needed to add any more remarks about it and simply nodded at their comments. She wanted to pass the time strumming tunes on her mandolin, but it seemed like two of her companions still felt sleepy after a good night's rest - perhaps anxiety had kept them awake? Or they simply weren't morning people. Who knows?
    She turns to Reinaldo before he decides to hit the hay as well, setting up a mindlink with the man so their voices wouldn't annoy the pair of sleepers:

'I guess the trip won't be too long at this incredible speed... but maybe we could play a game to take our minds off of this annoying light! Would you happen to have a game set on you... cards, maybe?'

She waits for an answer, hopeful.

Spoiler: Mindlink
    Show
    Reinaldo hears Sora's voice in his mind. I'll spend a bonus action each round to allow Reinaldo to respond.

Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-11-25 at 04:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

Unfortunately, Jane's rest was short lived. The rush of magic jolted her awake, and she looked around tto try to get her bearings.Then it became clear,and her eyes narrowed.

"What. The. Hell."
    Last edited by Estralita; 2020-11-25 at 04:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

"Relax, the wagons are magical," Reinaldo informs the formerly sleeping Jane. When he hears a voice in his mind, he doesn't realize at first that he can respond the same way. Taking up his pack, he roots around in it. "Sorry to disappoint, but no cards. Drat! Knew I forgot something." Setting down his bag, he looks between the two others. Axton is already asleep. "Hmph... well, he probably wouldn't appreciate rooting through his bag for cards. Jane, do you have a deck?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-11-25 at 08:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

Jane was already starting to boil over with rage, but then he opened his mouth. Out came Jane's dagger, almost before she was aware of it.

"Don't. you. DARE! PATRONIZE ME, PALADIN!" The dagger slams into the seat next to the paladin.

"I know what magic feels like. I also know what INTERPLANAR MAGIC feels like. Barovia isn't a country we've never heard of, it's on a whole other plane of existence! Do you fancy living your entire life separated from everything you know and your precious order, dependent on the whims of others to return?! BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE WE'RE F***ING HEADED!!"

With that said, Jane pulled her dagger harmlessly out of the seat, and began tossing it restlessly.

Your fault. Your own damn fault, trying to be anything but a petty thief. Give anyone a pinch of trust, and they'll squeeze you dry and toss your body to the rats.
    Last edited by Estralita; 2020-11-26 at 11:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

In spite of himself, Reinaldo flinches away from the impact of the dagger into the seat next to him. "Interplanar travel?" he repeats, momentarily stunned. It dawns on him the implications, as Jane outlines all of the risks. Yet, at the same time, this could be a chance to gain interplanar renown!

"I certainly could have done with some warning," he admits, a little more hesitation in his voice than he would like. "But assuming this isn't a trap... and I'm not sure if any of you have enemies who would bother with such elaboratricities, the job should still be the same no?"

24. - Top - End - #54

Flumph

Sora'Shana

Sora' couldn't help but smile at Jane's outburst, but she quickly wipes away her grin and shrugs, just a little annoyed that the game probably won't happen, and says, to no one in particular:

'The job will be the same, yeah. If not, if this is a trick, or some kind of a trap, we'll just find our way out of it, right? This isn't anyone's first time. How many are they anyways? We can take them, if need be. Just need to keep one of them alive to show us how to operate the wagons, we head back to our plane and report back that the contract was a sham. I don't see a problem.'

she sighs, pointing to Axton.

'And how is he still sleeping?!'
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-11-27 at 09:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

Jane took a few deep breaths to steady herself. Panicking wasn't going to help, and they were still stuck in close quarters between planes at the moment. At the telepath's suggestion of commandeering the wagons, she nodded anxiously. Hopefully, it really would be that simple.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sora'Shana View Post
    "And how is he still sleeping?!"
    Baelor's eyes didn't flicker, and didn't open. "If only that were true lass, but he's denied that due to this damnable chattering." He shifted, his eyes narrowing to slits as he took in his fellows, "Think people, THINK." He paused, "A man who has access to as fantastic a vehicle as this, able to slip between the pages, connecting the Sword Coast on one page, and this Barovia on another. His daughter pursued by some vampire lord centuries old, and he, what, hires us?!? Because of our reputation," he indicated Reinaldo with a thumb, "despite this idiot's bravado, we've naught faced a foe as powerful as we're about to face, we've slain bandits, and raiders, an ogre or two, perhaps some mindless undead, but nothing that's been terrorizing a land for hundred's of years." A sigh. "My money's on our employer not even having a daughter, and being in league with this Strahd, hiring some foolish mercenaries to save some fictional lass, to bring this chattel to the vamprie's fangs without sacrificing his own people to do so."

He slumped back down, his eyes closing, "We are but cattle on our way to slaughter, so if you please, allow a man his slumber."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Provided you do not tamper with the wagon like Arrigal warned you not to, the ride lasts for half an hour. Near the end, you can hear distant wailing like a chorus of children who've lost their mother in a general store. It progressively gets louder until it doesn't. When the cacophonic music halts, so too does the wagon. You hear footsteps as Arrigal dismounts the steering cabinet, and the tarp is lifted by the man. He wears a smile on his face, and already your suspicions are confirmed. Sunlight does enlighten his features, but some pale green hue similar to the one that echoed through the wagon during your journey.

"Welcome to Barovia! Sadly, this is where we must part ways. We are close to the Burgomaster's manor; simply travel west for a day's time and you'll happen upon the hamlet. Don't stray from the path- the woods are filled with carnivorous beasts."

Outside of the wagon is a forest. It fills the air with sounds of various wildlife, yet not all of the sounds piercing your ears appear mundane. Softly during regular intervals are warbling chortles made by creatures whose appearances you estimate shouldn't be looked upon. It is an alien landscape, the mud is green from that strange light, and the sky is blotted out by a coniferous species you've never seen before. The trees all bend at awkward angles unsuitable for what you've come to expect of similar plants.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

Jane had been lost in thought, twirling her knife, but the Knight's words drew her attention again. "And your plan is to walk into the slaughterhouse? Have fun with that. This may be a crappy situation, but I'm at least going to fight." She took another deep breath, then stowed her knife.

"None of this makes sense, but unless this Strahd likes imported food, I'm not sure going to all this trouble to kidnap four people is worth it for him. Assuming there even is a Strahd, at this point."
    Last edited by Estralita; 2020-11-28 at 01:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

Reinaldo quietly agrees with Jane, via a nod. It doesn't make sense - importing extraplanar adventurers simply to dine and dash? Something is odd here, but Axton's paranoid moping will do them no good. Stepping up to the exit of the wagon upon Arrigal's announcement, he hops out into the mud, eerily cast in a sickly green light. "And where exactly is Barovia, Mr. Arrigal?" Reinaldo asks, turning to stare down the strange man. "Not in the same realm we left. We know that much."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

Time to find out what they were up against. Fluffles, go scout. Jane instructed her familiar, from the side of the wagon.Carefully. Try not to be seen.

Jane didn't intend to be seen either. While the others directly confronted their kidnappers, Jane snuck around the wagon. If things came to a fight, Jane wanted to be in the best position to attack. And if she needed to run...she wanted the best chance of success there as well.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm expecting a Stealth Check for Jane. Should I roll for Fluffles too?

(d20+7)[21]