New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Celtic's Curse of Strahd (IC)

Axton, wandering hero & hedge knight
    AC: 16 (18) | HP: 31 | CURRENT: 31 | HIT DIE: 3d10 | INSPIRATION: 0
    Sanity: 11 (+0) | Passive Perception: 10 | Passive Insight: 10
    Active Effects: Sword & Shield (AC 18)
    Conditions: None.

Baelor climbed out of the wagon, placing himself at Arrigal's back while his companion questioned him. He slowly drew his broadsword from its scabbard. He looked at their guide's allies, cautioning them away with a steely glare.

"Best answer my friend's questions Arrigal, we accepted your food, your wine, and your hospitality. We've risked our lives just coming to this damnable country. Our honesty repayed in deceptions and half-truths."

Behind Baelor's shoulder, unseen even by him, a tall, silent knight strode from the surrounding trees. His face concealed by a great helm, a tattered blood red cloak hung from his shoulders, billowing on some unseen breeze.

Spoiler: Out of Character Action
    Show
    OOC: Object interaction to draw my sword, move action to place myself at Arrigal's back. And a bonus action to summon my Echo about 30' behind me.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-11-28 at 02:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Arrigal didn't look at Axton, he merely just turned his nose up at those who were in front of him. The gesture seemed to relate that Arrigal was ready for this turn of events and that he's willing to return the threats in kind. His hands don't move to his side, however. While he was unarmed in the inn, two gleaming blades now peak from leather scabbards.

"I'm no wizard, I couldn't tell you where the carts bring us when we use them. It's only ever either here or the real world, I know that. Listen, I know you all must be dreadfully annoyed with me, but the mission still stands regardless if we're on the material plane or not. Kolyan Indirovich awaits in Barovia Manor, a day's West of here, with a very large sack of gold pending one troublesome vampire head. I think it would be in your best interest to fulfill what you've been contracted to do. My people have other business in Barovia, and we've just so happened upon a fork in the road. You need to go west, we need to go south. Simple as that."

Spoiler: Insight DC 14
    Show
    He seems to be telling the truth as he knows it. Perhaps this place is more deadly than he's letting on, but he's speaking about coming here as if it were a regular occurrence for him.

Spoiler: Insight DC 18
    Show
    His words are carefully chosen. It seems like he's on the verge of telling a lie, but has confined himself to only speaking fragments of the truth. He's definitely holding something back from you all.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo
    AC: 17 | HP: 30/30 | HIT DIE: 2/2 d10, 1/1 d8 | INSPIRATION: 0
    Sanity: 9 (+1) | Passive Perception: 11 | Passive Insight: 13
    Conditions: ---

With a hand resting near his handaxe, Reinaldo's eyes flick down to the pair of blades at Arrigal's sides. "'Real world'?" he asks, taking note of the man's strange word. "So what then, if not real we are in some sort of dream?" With one arm, he waves around at the twisted trees and the eerie green light filtering through them. "Nightmare?"

Taking a few steps away from the wagon to check the road they are being directed towards, Reinaldo takes care not to turn his back on the strange man. "The wagon can go between them, you say?" He looks back at Arrigal. "Then how about we take the cloth tarp from the wagon. That way we have some insurance that you will not simply abandon us here when it is done."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

"Poetic license; material plane, real world, like I said I don't know that much about the planes except for the fact that we're on a different one. The carts are part of my culture, I imagine they're older than you or I, Arrigal looked frustrated. When Reinaldo offered the prospect of practically butchering one of the carts, he seemed ready to burst but contained himself. He sighed and spoke through clenched teeth, "If that is what it takes to prove to you that I'm just the god's forsaken messenger, yes, you can keep the tarp as collateral."
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Sora'Shana
    AC: 15 | HP: 25/25 | HIT DIE: 3d10 | INSPIRATION: 0
    Sanity: 10 (+0) | Passive Perception: 10 | Passive Insight: 12

Once again, Sora' shrugs and sighs, surprised at Axton's sudden and complete 180. Was he not the one asking them to chill out? She thinks to herself. Sora' steps up:

'I'm sorry, Arrigal. I suppose my friends are still a little jumpy from the ride. It isn't so surprising that a place no one could actually tell us about would be on a different plane - I actually kind of assumed that from the start. Also, these Vistani are simply bringing us here and aren't actually the ones hiring us. Have you ever heard the saying: don't shoot the messenger? I believe this is a perfect illustration of that. We're wasting time and efforts and asking the wrong people the wrong questions. Can. We. Just. Get to Indirovich? Geez... You people are so emotional, it's compromising the mission already and we haven't even started yet.'
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-12-01 at 12:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Baelor glared at Sora' shock on his face, before turning back to Arrigal, "We are not sorry Arrigal, nor are we jumpy. What we are is a knife's edge from breach of contract. You, our employer, with held crucial information, and having deposited us on unknown shores intend to depart before fulfilling your role in this. We will spare your wagons, but ... you will take us to your employer, and you will wait on the negotiations to conclude. At that point either we continue with the initial contract or we depart, and for that your wagons, and your presence is required."

7. - Top - End - #67

Flumph

Sora'Shana

Sora' feigns shock at Axton's statement. She takes a few steps towards Arrigal, hand outstretched before her in a reassuring manner.

'Listen, Arrigal, you're definitely in a tight spot right now and I'm very sorry about that - I want things to have the best outcome for everyone. My comrades are asking two simple things. Give them to us, and I promise Axton will step down. One: why did you withhold the information about Barovia being on another plane when Jane asked about it in the tavern? Two: we need some kind of guarantee that you'll come back to get us when we decide to return to our plane of existence. You have to understand that being stranded in another world isn't a perfect outcome for any of us. Sounds sensible enough, yes? Now, the tarp on the wagon is one idea, but it seems to displease you - understandable. What else could you offer us as insurance, so to speak?'

She smiles to Arrigal while setting up a Mindlink with Axton:

'Keep up the pressure - this is going great! Just so you know you can also use the Mindlink and answer through it, in case that wasn't clear. Just focus on what you need to say and I'll feel your thoughts, much like you are experiencing mine right now.'
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-12-01 at 11:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

As Arrigal agrees, however reluctantly, to his terms, Reinaldo smiles and takes a step towards the wagons. "Very good then. Worry not, I will take good-" before he can finish speaking, Sora' emerges from the cart to interfere, reopening negotiations that had already been finished. The paladin maintains his smug smile, but it no longer reaches up to his eyes as he flicks them to her in a sidelong glare.

"Not emotional. Simply practical. Now, as has already been agreed to, Sora'," he says pointedly as he begins to undo the tarp from the wagon to bring with them. "I will see to it that the tarp is taken good care of, and kept safe. None of us here want the wagon to be damaged or rendered useless, do we?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Arrigal folds his thumb and forefinger about his nose, clearly annoyed with how the turn of events was going. He looked up to each party member individually, seeming to judge their strength and possibly combat ability. Either unwilling or unable to fight back, he sighed, "Listen, my caravan and I have important business that cannot be overlooked or postponed. That being said, I can provide you with living collateral that we won't abandon you in this place. Luvash!"

A bulky man with a moderate familiarity in regards to Arrigal's facial features appears out of one of the wagons. He is wearing a scowl and a simple tunic, and speaks in a low baritone, "What is it, we need to get a move on."

"Your daughter, she'll be making sure that these fine folk don't damage the tarp we're loaning them."

"What?"

"She's already travel-ready, and has been making noises about leaving the troupe for some time. Let this be her first foray, tell her she can find us in Vallaki."

A young woman who bears much resemblance to Arrigal and the man named Luvash appears out of the cart. She has an excited look on her face as she overhears Luvash's conversation with Arrigal, and asks, "Oh come on, father! They're only going to the hamlet and back, what's the worst that can happen?"

"A hell of a lot- brother you cannot force me to let my daughter be hostage to these fu-"

"Fine folk! She's old enough to go off on her own, and one of the few not needed for this delicate deal with the Dusk Elves. She's the perfect person for the job, provided that these fine folk will protect her along with my tarp?"

10. - Top - End - #70

Flumph

Sora'Shana

Sora' places a hand on her hip and sizes up the youngling, somewhat worried at what she sees.

'Let the girl speak for herself. How do you feel about this?' She asks, addressing Arabelle 'You seem eager, that's good, but can you handle the dangers that most certainly lie up ahead? We never know what we can run into, and although I do pledge to try the best I can to protect you, my word is nothing more than that: words. No one can allege to see the future - you need to be aware of this if you are to tag along.'

The telepath sends out her consciousness, trying to feel the young girl's emotions as she is about to reply.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I'm rolling insight against her, see if she is able enough to accompany us

Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-12-02 at 03:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Baelor looked apologetically at Luvash, "To be clear, we wanted to take Arrigal as insurance during our journey and meeting with our employer. It is he, who doesn't trust you enough with his caravan, nor his people, to let you handle this task he places more value on than your daughter." He turned, regarded the young woman, little more than a child, "And Arabelle, you are journeying with us to ensure the compliance of Arrigal and his wagons to return us to our homes." He paused, "Should harm come to you, it will not be by our hand."

He looked up, sneered at Arrigal, "You are a callous son of a bitch, and I don't trust you farther than I could throw," he pointed to Luvash, "him. If you break trust with us, you will regret it."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you're quite finished throwing idle threats- SADDLE UP!" Arrigal spun on his heel and flicked his wrist into the air. Luvash hugged Arabelle tightly and gave an acid stare at Arrigal as he passed by. The vistana placed a hand on Luvash's shoulder and whispered something into his ear. Either a galvanizing sentiment or a deadly threat, it took effect almost immediately. Luvash's face steeled over, he placed a kiss on his daughter's forehead and nodded his thanks to Axton who seemed to assure his fears. The rest of the vistani all boarded their various wagons and departed in short order; leaving a nicely folded and possibly mystical tarp as well as Arabelle who clutched a backpack to her sides and had begun walking towards the rest of you.

"I can take care of myself. I know first aid, and I can shoot a bullseye with my crossbow at 20 yards... sometimes," Arabelle was clearly nervous, but her face showed the determination that only youth could bring.

13. - Top - End - #73

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

Carefully folding over the large tarp in is cart, Reinaldo finds out that it takes up just about the whole of the cart space. As he'd gone around uncoupling it from the vistani wagon, he'd lost track of what the others were talking about with Arrigal. So when the caravan leaves, and a little girl has been left behind, it is much to his surprise.

"Why?" he asks simply, motioning to the girl with one hand. "Did we adopt a child?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Active Effects: Manifest Echo; Sword & Shield (AC 18)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrigal View Post
    "If you're quite finished throwing idle threats- SADDLE UP!"
    Baelor quietly stewed at the comment, his threats were never idle, and he intended to see them through, the truth was he didn't trust the man, but his interactions with his own people highlighted the fact that he, himself, may be using threats and coercions to keep himself in a position of power. With a deep breath he moved towards Reinaldo, where the dark haired man was strapping down the thick cloth coverings obtained from the Vistani's wagon. As he did so he cast furtive looks into the woods, where the cloaked, armored figure hovered on his peripheral, moving silently, hovering like some wraith-like apparition. He didn't sense malevolence from it, but it's silent stare was still ... unnerving.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaldo View Post
    "Why?" he asks simply, motioning to the girl with one hand. "Did we adopt a child?"
    Baelor shrugged, "Arrigal offered her to us as hostage to ensure his own return, and to be present at the negotiations with our employer." He looked at the forest on either side of the road, "Come, let us move quickly, I would speak with the nobleman who had us whisked away to this strange land."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-12-05 at 05:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

After your tense exchange with the man named Arrigal, you are left with a single direction to go by: West. Supposedly, beyond the bounds of this forest lies your employer, awaiting within a hamlet a day's walk from here. Spirits may be grim, but at least Arabelle is excited. As you continue through the foliage, things start to smell a little sour. Something died here recently...

Spoiler: Passive Perception 12
    Show
    Animal tracks and traces of passage litter this area. You think it might be wolves, but on closer inspection, the tracks seem... off somehow.

16. - Top - End - #76

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

Though he rolls his eyes at the whole voluntary hostage situation while his back is turned to Arabelle, he puts on an easy smile as he looks back to introduce yourself. "I guess that means you'll be traveling with us. The name's Reinaldo, and don't you worry, everything will be fine with me around," he boasts, placing a fist over his chest. "What's your name?"

In his showboating and introductions, he fails to pay much attention. His nose wrinkles at the smell, but it only compels him to move faster and get away from it sooner.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Baelor was quickly learning to ignore Reinaldo's bravado, but still, the man had a purpose and he shouldn't discount that, no matter how insufferable he was. With a sigh he turned to his companions, "With threat of vampires and wolves upon us, perhaps we make haste to this village, whereupon Arabelle will graciously introduce us to our host."

However, even as he spoke, he looked furtively towards the woods, where the faceless, formless apparition floated from tree to tree.

18. - Top - End - #78

Flumph

Sora'Shana

'Wolves?' Said the Telepath. 'All I see is some ghostly figure following us through the trees... I've noticed it since we got off of the wagon... Should we engage? Anyone have any idea what it could be?'

She kept up the pace while walking, trying to look inconspicuous as she did so, so as to not alarm the ghostly figure.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

The large man shrugged his shoulders, "I am unsure. It appears foul, especially in light of what we've discovered of these lands, but it seems fair." He looked to the woods where it flitted from tree to tree, "Like it is watching us, silently."

20. - Top - End - #80

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

Reinaldo glances over to regard the figure in the woods, which he had paid little attention to. Drawing his blade, he holds it up, gleaming with dim light as he swirls his cape. "Stand and identify yourself, spirit. What is your purpose here?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

With an eerie absence of sound, the apparition fades into the trees, keeping it's distance from the group, but silently stands vigil as they progress through the old forest road. Baelor however, shook his head, looking towards it, before continuing on the way, "It's odd, there's something familiar about it, as if I should know it somehow, like it expects something from me."

With that he squared his pack on his shoulders, and continued to trudge along the path towards their destination.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

For some time Jane had been silent. She knew she wasn't great with words. Her job tended to be completely the opposite, as a matter of fact. But the situation changed, and Jane knew something needed to be said. Once the apparition left, the rogue turned to the hostage girl."Is this sort of thing common in Barovia?

After a moment's thought, she added." More to the point, what is common in Barovia? What do you know about this place?" Gathered intel from a child wasn't something Jane wanted to rely on, but at this point it was better than nothing.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've only heard stories about this place, never been. Though I do know that we should probably be on the lookout for-"

The hairs on the back of your neck electrify as a low growl permeates the air. Two truly massive beasts the size of horses crouch low to the ground as they emerge from the forest. One of them looks mostly like a wolf, if but for a few spikes that jut out of its spine. The other is completely malformed, nature was not kind to it, and cursing it with a description wouldn't serve anyone any favors.

"Dire... Wolves... yeah ok, time to run or fight!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wolf Initiative: (1d20+2)[19]
    Arabelle Initiative: (1d20+2)[15]
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2020-12-14 at 04:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Flumph

Sora'Shana

Sora' instinctively steps in front of the girl as the wolves reveal themselves, drawing her blade as she does so:

'There's no running, girl. This is their forest, their turf - we stand and fight. Stay back and cover us with that crossbow of yours. It's time to test your mettle.'

Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    initiative is 14

Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-12-14 at 05:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

Grabbing the cinch of his cape with one hand, Reinaldo swirls it off, depositing it in a cloth mound upon his cart. "No running from wolves, little one, they will simply outrun. Let us cull the pack!"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

AC: 16 | HP: 31 | CURRENT: 31 | HIT DIE: 3d10 | INSPIRATION: 0
    Active Effects: Manifest Echo.

Baelor stepped back, drawing the re-forged greatsword,
    and stepping forward with his companions. As his sword cleared the scabbard, the apparitions attention shifted to the blade, and drew a massive shadowed blade of his own, moving towards the massive wolves.

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Intiative check, (1d20+1)[13].
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-12-14 at 05:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Jane

"Move!" Jane wasn't certain who she was speaking to: the girl, herself, or the the group in general. She jsut knew it was the truth. In sync, she and Fluffles dashed in, swiping at the more normal wolf. Fluffles clawed as a distraction, while Jane attempted to sink her magic-charged blade into a weak spot. Then the two tumbled away, out of reach, but ready to strike again.

Show
    Okay, this is the first time I've fought alongside a familiar, so I'm bound to screw up somewhere.

Fluffles spends her turn using the Help action to give Jane Advantage, then uses Flyby to get out of reach without provoking AoOs.

Jane then Sneak Attacks with Booming Blade, then uses her bonus action to Disengage out of their reach as well. Squishy Rogue stays in the shadows.

Attack:(1d20+5)[12], (1d20+5)[12]

Potential Damage: (1d8+3)[4] +(1d8)[3] (Booming Blade)+(2d6)[6] (SA)

Once again, please tell me if I've screwed up. Been awhile since I've done this.

Last edited by Estralita; 2020-12-17 at 08:32 PM.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

The wolf-like creature deftly dodges out of the way of Jane's hidden blade; growling, barking, and snarling at both her and her companion all the while. Its pack mate charges up to flank with it, and both do their best to sink their teeth deep into Jane's midsection.

Show
    Doing great so far! Sadly, neither 12 is enough to hit the wolfy. Both are going to attack Jane, gaining advantage due to Pack Tactics.

Wolf Number 1
    Attack: (1d20+5)[17]
    Advantage: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[14]

Wolf Number 2
    Wolf Number 1
    Attack: (1d20+5)[22]
    Advantage: (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[9]

If either of them hit I need you to make a DC 13 Strength Save to avoid falling prone. If both hit you, you'll need to make it twice.

29. - Top - End - #89

Flumph

Sora'Shana

Sora's pupils suddenly seem to swallow her irises as her mind lashes out instinctively to protect Jane from the wolves' vicious attack. A protective field springs up around the woman, dampening the blow somewhat.

Spoiler: protective field
    Show
    As a reaction I use protective field on Jane. Substract 7 damage and my psionic die goes down to d4..
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-12-18 at 08:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

BlueKnightGuy

Reinaldo

Metal clanking announces Reinaldo's approach as he glides around behind one of the wolves chomping at Jane. "Begone, beast!" he declares, slashing in a downwards arc. His blade gathers a brilliant silver light as it travels through the air.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Flank Dire Wolf 1 with Jane for Advantage. Using a 1st level Warlock slot for Divine Smite.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[12]
    Advantage: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[12] slashing, (2d8)[4] radiant