New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

Previous Thread Found Here
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q1 While shapechanging (Tibbit Race) into a cat can I keep class features like improved unarmed attack (monk) and AC bonuses from sources like Natural Armor increases or Bracers of Armor?

Q2 Are Staff Spells effected by other class/race/item features or is it just the CL and DCs and not features like Summons auto extend (THAUMATURGIST)?

Thanks.
    Last edited by madangrypally; 2020-11-12 at 10:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A1You retain any class features that still work (so as long as the tibbit remains unarmored and has no more than a light load). Your bracers are a trickier matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Compendium Volume 1
    A tibbit's equipment usually transforms to become part of her cat body. She loses the benefits of any weapons, shields, armor, or robes she wears or carries. Items that require a physical apparatus to function, such as a ring or a pair of boots, shift to adopt a form suitable to a cat, such as a collar or anklet and continue to provide their benefits.
    According to the quoted material, a pair of bracers should fall into the category of items that require a physical apparatus to function, and may shift to adopt a form suitable to the cat form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

A2
    Ask your DM
    The staff description says it uses your ability score and relevant feats to set the DC of the spell, and your own caster level if it's higher than the staffs. There is nothing to directly indicate that abilities which otherwise augment the functionality of the spell should apply.
    You are, however, considered the caster of the spell when activating a staff, so your class feature may supercede the exclusion of these abilities from the staff's description. A passive effect that applies to all spells you cast may still be viable even if you are unable to actively apply abilities like metamagic feats to a staff spell.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q3 A level 5 psion uses a torc of power preservation on energy ray. What is the maximum amount of damage they can do assuming nothing else is at play? Spend 4 power points and get a 5d6 ray or Spend 5 power points and get a 6d6 ray?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 3

Upon review, I believe the answer is 6d6.

I'm pretty sure the item wasn't meant to allow you to produce effects which exceed your level, but due to the restriction always being written as a limit to how many power points you can spend, it seems to actually work by RAW.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2020-11-12 at 05:12 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Undermountain Tactics
    The Undermountain Tactics feat enables the use of certain tactical maneuvers, described below. Stair King: To use this maneuver, you must gain the high ground bonus on your attacks against an opponent. If you hit your foe with two or more melee attacks during your turn, he must make a Balance check (DC 10 + your Str modifier) or be knocked prone. Your opponent can opt to succeed automatically on his Balance check. If he does so, he will lose his move action on his next turn, but he will Succeed automatically on Balance checks to resist this maneuver until the start of his next turn. Your opponent must make this choice before seeing the result of his Balance check. You can target a particular creature with this maneuver once per round.
    If a creature already does not have a move action for some reason can they still forgo their next move action?

Q4.1 If a creature is slowed after taking this auto success, are they required to sacrifice their move action (and not take a standard action) on their turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

A 4 Yes. They are not required to "spend" their move action on the next turn, like say, trying to break out of a hold person by taking a full round action, they just can't take their move action (if any) available on the next turn. If your opponent were paralyzed, for example, and had no purely mental move actions they could take, they would still be allowed to do this if they wanted to.

A 4.1 Just to make sure I understand correctly, the sequence of events is as follows:
    1: you hit opponent with undermountain tactics and try to trip them
    2: opponent chooses to auto-succeed, speaking for their move action next round
    3: an ally of yours slows the opponent

In that scenario, since the opponent has a move action available to pay the piper, they would have to sacrifice it. They could not choose to take a standard instead, and say 'oops, no move action to sacrifice.' They would need to choose move and use it to pay the debt to undermountain tactics.
    Last edited by Venger; 2020-11-13 at 03:29 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #9

Q 5

A Chameleon using his "floating feat" picks the Open Minded feat for the day. Can the bonus skill points be used to speak a new language?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

A 5 Yes. ten characters
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q6.1

Many regional feats (e.g. Artist, Blooded, Cosmopolitan...) state that they can only be selected at level 1, and that you can only have 1 regional feat.

Others (Cover Your Tracks, Ankheg Tribe Ambush, etc... ) fo not list that special text, but are still regional feats.

Is the "only at level 1, only 1 per character" rule general to regional feats and just omitted from the offending feats, or does that limit only apply to feats that list the special text?

Q6.2

Faerie Mysteries Initiate has a regional requirement, but is listed as a general feat. Can you take this feat after level 1 as a general feat, or is it a regional feat by merit of having a regional requirement?

Q6.3

Specifically, FMI requires:

Region: Celene, gray elf, high elf, Lendore Isles, tallfellow halfling, Verbobonc, wild elf, wood elf. (Oerth)
    Would a setting-neutral Changeling be able to take FMI if they also had Racial Emulation, or would they additionally have to be from Orth?

Q7

It is suggested as an adaptation to the Chameleon class that...

If you're using the EBERRON Campaign Setting, the chameleon prestige class should be available to changeling player characters as well as humans and doppelgangers. In this case, the Able Learner feat extends to changelings as well.
    Does that mean, by RAW, that Changelings are eligible to take Able Learner/Chameleon in a setting-neutral campaign as long as ECS isn't banned (in the same sense that Changelings are eligible to take Wild Talent if psionics aren't banned)? Or is it DM fiat whether they are eligible?

Edit:

Q8

On a similar note, several books describe the effects of taint, one of which being that undead with low enough wisdom get up to two bonus feats by merit of their innate taint score. If the books with taint are not banned, are these RAW, or are they a variant/optional system like flaws?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-11-14 at 08:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 6.1 Look at the rules for each feat and which book it is in - different books have different rules.

A6.3 Ask your DM - the feat is from Dragon Magazine so is not automatically available anywhere.

A7 No - it means that in Eberron Changelings can do this, outside of Eberron ask your DM.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2020-11-14 at 10:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

A 6.2 Regional feats can be taken at any time unless otherwise specified in the rules text. There is no general rule that regional feats must be taken at level 1.
    A 8 Yes.

Iron Chef Medals!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 8 Yes.
    That's on me for using the inclusive "or", haha. Yes, the bonus feats are RAW if the books are used, not variant?
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

They are an optional variant.

Iron Chef Medals!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q9.1

The SRD contains this information on humanoid hitdie:

Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class. Humanoids of this sort are presented as 1st-level warriors, which means that they have average combat ability and poor saving throws.
    As such, can a humanoid character "begin" with a humanoid hitdie, with the commensurate feat/skill points, then exchange it with a class level, as described here, adjusting their stats as necessary?

Q9.2

Specifically, I'm looking at Changelings using Racial Emulation to qualify for a racial paragon class. Technically, they don't have the feat until AFTER they take their first level, but if a Changeling began as a level 1 humanoid and took the Racial Emulation feat, would they be able to then exchange the humanoid hitdie with a racial paragon class (using the feat to qualify)?
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

A 9.1 Yes, that is correct
    A 9.2 You are allowed to do this.

Iron Chef Medals!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q10

A Changeling takes a humanoid hitdie and takes Racial Emulation. Then, using Racial Emulation to qualify, they exchange their racial hitdie for a level in Half-Elf Paragon. Half-Elf Paragon grants a bonus feat at level 1.

Will a Changeling be able to use Racial Emulation to qualify for Able Learner with that bonus feat? I'm not sure if there would be "time" to emulate a human between selecting the class and gaining the class features.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

A 10 Yes, you would be able to do that.

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Q11: Can Feats/Features that reduces/removes the cost of Meta-Magic but used even for high level spells like the level 9 spell Shapechange (persistence for example with Divine Metamagic or casting it from a staff with feature from Artificer).
    Last edited by madangrypally; 2020-11-16 at 12:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

A 11 You need to spend a spell level that exists when casting a spell that is modified by a metamagic feat. For example, if you cast a fell frighten (+1) fireball (3), without any coupons, you spend a slot of 3+1 = 4, a 4th level slot.

When using metamagic cost reducers, you must ultimately end up with a spell slot level that exists, you have access to, and you have an unexpended one available.

Even when using epic spellcasting, the highest possible spell level that exists is 10. You cannot have a slot of level 11 or higher, so without any cost reduction, you cannot have a persistent shapechange or other 9th level spell.

That said, if you got the cost down somehow (likely by taking arcane thesis with the 9th in question and throwing on a bunch of +1 metamagic, as is standard) to cast it as a 9th level spell, then you would of course be allowed to do this kind of thing.

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #22

A 10 complement

Please note that Able Learner, being a feat normally open to Humans and Doppelgangers, is already suggested to be accessible to Changelings in the description of the Chameleon prestige class, without any need for Racial Emulation.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

A 11 Small correction

You can have slots of 10th level and above in epic, through the Improved Spell Capacity feat. You have to pick the feat once for each spell level above 9th, but how high you can go is only limited by your available feat slots, or your feat generation method of choice. It's entirely possible to have a 30th level slot for the purpose of metamagics, by taking the feat in question 21 times. You also gain bonus slots for a high ability score as usual.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I was concerned about foiling Detect Good spoiling otherwise good disguises (as it can be problematic to register as the wrong alignment when disguised or, equally suspiciously, registering with no alignment at all). With that said, I came upon the following PrC.

Master of Masks (Complete Scoundrel) grants the following ability:

Spoiler: Persona Masks (Su)
    Show
    You gain the ability to craft potent magical masks, each of which allows you to take on a different persona and gain some aspect of that creature or archetypal character. At 1st level, you learn to create and use two masks selected from those described below. At 2nd level, and at every odd-numbered level thereafter, you can create and use one more mask from the list.

Creating a new persona mask requires 8 hours of work and costs 100 gp. You can use only persona masks that you have crafted. No one else (not even another master of masks) can benefit from a persona mask that you create.

To gain the benefit of a mask, you merely wear it. Putting on a mask is a standard action, and removing one is a move action. Once it is worn, the mask's benefit immediately applies. Your master of masks level is your caster level for any spell-like abilities produced by a mask. In addition to its other benefits, a mask conceals your alignment, replacing it (for the purpose of detection spells or abilities) with an alignment appropriate to the mask. You still retain your normal alignment for all other purposes (such as if a paladin uses smite evil against you). One or more persona masks can be worn at the same time, occupying the eye lenses/goggles body slot.

With that said, that prompted a question for me, as wearing a mask when disguised as a non-mask-wearing-character might raise some eyebrows...

Q 12.1

These masks are listed as occupying the eye lenses/goggles slot. Was this errata'd to be the face slot somewhere, or is this a unique slot so as not to interfere with other item use?

Q 12.2

There are rules for disguising objects (Rules Compendium p.126 & Races of Destiny p.147), but they are limited to changing the apparent size and weight of the object by 10%. Problematically, there are no listed sizes or weights for these masks. With that said, these masks occupy the eye glasses/goggles (maybe face?) slot, so they are presumably rather small. To what extent can we hide one such mask by RAW as part of our disguise check? Can we, for example, make it look like a pair of eyeglasses? A headband? A diadem or crown? Part of some other headgear?

Q 12.3

To what extent can a disguise check just conceal a piece of equipment rather than change its appearance? With use of the disguise skill, could you hide a mask under a hat or bandana, or hair?

Q 12.4

Suppose a character were to cast Cloak of Khyber (last updated, to the best of my knowledge, in the City of Stormreach) on themselves in addition to wearing a mask from this source. Both effects conceal the character's alignment; however, the mask proceeds to replace it, for the purposes of detection abilities, with a false alignment. Which would take precedence? Does it depend on the order you apply them, or would one trump the other regardless of the order?

Edit: Q 12.5

Suppose a character with the Mask of Gentility feat were to put on one of these masks. Would the mask take precedence upon being put on, or would the feat?

Q 12.6

Likewise, a character with Mask of Gentility casts Cloak of Khyber; do they register as neutral as per the feat, even though their real alignment is concealed by the Cloak?

Q 13

On a tangential point, what would be the net effect of using Cloak of Khyber while wearing a ring of misdirection? As before, does it matter the order you put them on, or does one trump the other?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-11-19 at 11:24 PM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

A 12.1 They go on the face slot. This is where you wear goggles, lenses, masks, spectacles, and third eyes. The terms are often used interchangeably.

A 12.2 You can glance through the mic to see the weights for various masks. They typically weigh 1lb or less. You can intuit they are the size of your face depending on art and description (if they're a full mask, domino, etc)

The normal solution to this problem is to just layer a magical disguise over your masks, such as through a hat of disguise, an inexpensive item that any character built around disguise should have. This will entirely cover the mask should you so choose.

A 12.3 No. To benefit from a magic item, you must wear it on that body slot, but again, this is obviated by supplementing your disguise skill with magic.

A 12.4 Cloak of khyber conceals your alignment from spellcasting. That's true whether you cast it before or after putting on the persona mask, so regardless of what alignment the mask broadcasts, it cannot be detected through divination magic.

A 12.5 It depends on the specific method enemies use to scent your alignment. Mask of gentility protects you from spells and sense motive, so it would take precedence there, automatically activating before they could scent your mask. If someone used something that was neither of these things, then mask of gentility would not activate, and it would detect whatever your mask told it to.

A 12.6 No. The cloak of khyber protects your alignment from being divined on at all.

A 13 As before, while cloak of khyber is up, your alignment cannot be divined on magically at all, so if observers were trying to directly detect your alignment with divination, cloak of khyber would stop it before your ring of misdirection had a chance to do anything.

Iron Chef Medals!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: Referenced Abilities
    Show
    Cloak of Khyber reads:

Spoiler: Cloak of Khyber
    Show
    The rakshasa, masters of deception, have developed this spell to enhance their powers of disguise.

A cloak of Khyber conceals the caster’s alignment from any form of divination. More important, it shields a shapechanged or magically disguised creature from true seeing, causing the disguise to appear to be the caster’s true form. However, this power has one signifi cant restriction: The disguise must be maintained for 6 hours before the power of the cloak takes effect. As such, it is an extremely useful spell for a deep cover agent who rarely shifts his shape—but it is useless to a character casting a disguise self spell that only lasts for a few minutes.

Arcane Focus: A small Khyber dragonshard, worth 50 gp. If this object is ever taken more than 1 foot away from the subject, the spell immediately ends.

Misrepresent Alignment reads:

Spoiler: Misrepresent Alignment
    Show
    A misrepresent alignment spell conceals the true alignment of an object or creature from all forms of divination, rendering a misleading result determined by the caster. For example, a spellcaster could cast misrepresent alignment on a chaotic evil creature or magic item, making that creature or item appear to be lawful good (or any other alignment of the caster's choice) when subject to spells such as detect evil and detect good.

Moral Facade reads:

Spoiler: Moral Facade
    Show
    With an uttered incantation and a motion of your hand, you surround your target with a haze that prevents others from discerning its true nature.

By casting this spell, you cloak the target in an effect that gives a false alignment reading to all divination spells.
    At the time of casting, you must designate the alignment that you wish the spell to reveal.

The Ring of Misdirection reads:

Spoiler: Ring of Misdirection
    Show
    This plain silver band is nondescript and unadorned. The wearer is under a continuous misdirection effect, redirecting divination spells that reveal auras cast upon him. Such spells automatically target their caster rather than the ring's wearer.

Q 14.1

Suppose a character were to use Cloak of Khyber in conjunction with Misrepresent Alignment. Both effects conceal the alignment of the caster from all forms of divination. However, Misrepresent Alignment states it renders a misleading result. It seems like unlike the Master of Masks mask or Mask of Gentility, this spell doesn't replace your alignment; it seems like it conceals your alignment, and renders a misleading result as an effect of the spell. Would Cloak of Khyber hide the misleading result, too, or just the caster's alignment?

Q 14.2

Suppose a character were to use Cloak of Khyber in conjunction with Moral Facade. As Moral Facade explicitly doesn't change your alignment or how it registers, but instead shrouds the target in an effect that gives a false reading, would Cloak of Khyber still block this effect from being detected?

Q 14.3

Suppose a character had Misrepresent Alignment active while wearing a Ring of Misdirection. As the Misrepresent Alginment conceals the caster's alignment from divination, would a detect spell yield the false alignment or the caster's alignment?

Q 14.4

Suppose a character had Moral Facade active while wearing a Ring of Misdirection. As the Moral Facade cloaks the target with an effect that gives a false reading to divination, will a Detect spell yield the false reading or the caster's alignment?

__________________________________________________ ____

Edit:

Q 15

Detect Magic (along with its cousins Arcane Sight and Greater Arcane Sight) allow a caster to see aura for active spells. A spell like Cloak of Khyber should therefore register as a faint illusion aura, which is problematic considering Detect Magic and Arcane Sight can be permanencied.

Is there any way to hide the magical aura from an ongoing spell apart from encasing it in lead or something similar to block LoE?

It seems like all the standard means to hide auras target creatures or objects; I haven't seen anything that targets an aura. Would an aura be considered an object (and subject to Nystul's Magic Aura) as it is certainly not a creature? Or does a magic aura centered on a creature allow you to use something like Misdirection on the creature to conceal that magic aura?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-11-20 at 10:05 AM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

A 14.1 Cloak of khyber prevents divination. Period.

A 14.2 Yes

A 14.3 If it were a divination spell that detected auras, misdirection (assuming the caster failed their save) would bounce the spell before it had a chance to activate misrepresent alignment. If it were some other kind of effect that bypassed misdirection, then it would activate misrepresent alignment normally.

A 14.4 Same as 14.3.

A 15 Yeah, nystul's magic aura exists for this purpose. If you cast it on yourself, you can use it to block the magic radiated by moral facade or whatever so it won't ping on detect magic if opponents fail their saves.

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: W.R.T. Q 15
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post

Q 15

Detect Magic (along with its cousins Arcane Sight and Greater Arcane Sight) allow a caster to see aura for active spells. A spell like Cloak of Khyber should therefore register as a faint illusion aura, which is problematic considering Detect Magic and Arcane Sight can be permanencied.

Is there any way to hide the magical aura from an ongoing spell apart from encasing it in lead or something similar to block LoE?

It seems like all the standard means to hide auras target creatures or objects; I haven't seen anything that targets an aura. Would an aura be considered an object (and subject to Nystul's Magic Aura) as it is certainly not a creature? Or does a magic aura centered on a creature allow you to use something like Misdirection on the creature to conceal that magic aura?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post

A 15 Yeah, nystul's magic aura exists for this purpose. If you cast it on yourself, you can use it to block the magic radiated by moral facade or whatever so it won't ping on detect magic if opponents fail their saves.

So just to clarify, an aura is an object, and Nystul's Magic Aura can therefore be used to target it to make it appear nonmagical (and not ping Detect Magic/Arcane Sight)? Magic Aura targets an object, not a creature, so it would have to target the aura for this to work.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-11-20 at 04:40 PM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

clarification 15 I got mixed up because your questions are very complicated. Auras are not objects and can't be targeted by nystul's magic aura. To clarify, what I meant was you could target the object that you're spoofing alignment divinations to via ring of misdirection with nystul's magic aura so it wouldn't let enemies know that it had misdirection cast on it. Depending on your access to pao, you could also turn yourself into an object and have someone cast nystul's magic aura on you to cover up whatever you wanted and then either pao back or wait for it to wear off depending on duration of all your stuff.
    Last edited by Venger; 2020-11-20 at 04:57 PM.

Iron Chef Medals!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 16: When a template states that it grants a special ability or bonus that is affected by the creatures Hit Dice, and the creature advances in level, are those values re-calculated for the creature's new Hit Dice total?

For example: A level 1 creature gains the phrenic template, which has the power resistance ability:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A phrenic creature has power resistance equal to its Hit Dice +10.
    It later advances to level 2. Is its power resistance value 11, or 12?
    Last edited by ApologyFestival; 2020-11-22 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Formatting