Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 270

The Sylph entry in MM2 says "A sylph can cast arcane spells as a sorcerer. Caster level = sylph’s Hit Dice + 4".

Does this mean only it's CL increases by HD, or does it's effective Sorcerer level (spells known, access to higher level spells) increase?
    A 270 The Sylph's "spells known" are given as for a 7th level Sorcerer (3.0 rules hence not 3.5 numbers) so the 3HD Sylph is a 7th Sorcerer. Based on this I think we can only conclude that yes the Sylph's casting advances with its hit dice for spells known and per day not just caster level.

Note: updating the casting to 3.5 is one of the changes to make for the Sylph conversion.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2021-04-14 at 03:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Q271: Do SLAs count as "spellcasting" for the purposes of Craft (Alchemy)? Specifically, I want to use factotum levels to allow me to craft alchemical items, because apparently only spellcasters are capable of mixing chemicals together.
    According to here, SLAs can be used as prerequisite for crafting items. There isn't any other specifics about what items, so Alchemy should work as well.
    Trying to resurrect the Negative LA thread, any comment and discussion are very welcome!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    According to here, SLAs can be used as prerequisite for crafting items. There isn't any other specifics about what items, so Alchemy should work as well.
    Ah. Well, that helped me find the rule in question, and the rule it quotes (found here under "Prerequisites," I surmise) is specifically for magic items, but I suppose that's as close as can be found, in Core, at least. But thanks. That does help.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-04-14 at 10:03 AM.
    Tanuki in the Playground.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 273

The Corrupt Arcane Studies feat (Ghostwalk) has an adverse effect where you can suffer from nightmares (Wis save to avoid). If you fail, your ability to regain spells is disrupted for 24 hours.

Would not needing to sleep provide immunity to these nightmares? The Tomb-Born Vitality feat (LM) means you no longer need to sleep.

Would a combo of these feats work to avoid the nightmares caused by Corrupt Arcane Studies?

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q274: A called piece of armor will teleport on you on call. Can you use that to bring other small objects with the armor? if you have a small item attached to that piece of armor - in a pocket, or sewn to it, whatever - will you get the small item too?
    Is there even anything supporting either interpretation in the rules, or I am free to make my own call?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 275

Would variant ("deadly hunter") druids from unearthed arcana lose their AC bonus, favored enemy, etcetera if they become ex druids? Would druidic avengers lose their rage, or their faster movenent speed?
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2021-04-17 at 08:41 AM.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q274: A called piece of armor will teleport on you on call. Can you use that to bring other small objects with the armor? if you have a small item attached to that piece of armor - in a pocket, or sewn to it, whatever - will you get the small item too?
    Is there even anything supporting either interpretation in the rules, or I am free to make my own call?
    DM discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Q 275

Would variant ("deadly hunter") druids from unearthed arcana lose their AC bonus, favored enemy, etcetera if they become ex druids? Would druidic avengers lose their rage, or their faster movenent speed?
    Yes.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q276: when you are using a spell with a duration of "concentration", you cannot cast another spell while maintaining it. it's written explicitly.
    but, is there some way to cast a spell while concentrating on another? A feat, an item, an obscure ACF or prestige class?

A bit outside the scope of the thread, but assuming the answer to the above is no, is there some particular reason to disallow an homebrew feat that would let one cast quickened spells while maintaining concentration on another spell?
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2021-04-17 at 06:19 PM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

9. - Top - End - #579
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 276
    finding the center, 8th level wu jen spell
    The Age of Warriors (revived 2019) - Huge fanmade TOB sequel. Content needs PEACH and input.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 276 additional
    Guide Magic - 10th level Spirit Shaman class ability

There are probably others.

11. - Top - End - #581

A 276 additionally additional

Indeed, there is also sonorous hum (from the Spell Compendium), 3rd-level spell for Clerics and Wizards (2nd level for Bards). Must be cast before the spell needing concentration.
    Last edited by St Fan; Yesterday at 02:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

12. - Top - End - #582

Q 277

Is feinting a purely visual trick? Does an opponent who can't see and is using blind-fighting immune to a feinting attempt?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 278

Can undead lose XP due to the loss of a familiar? Is the penalty due to the loss of a familiar an "effect"?

Edit:

Q 279

Can you overrun while running?
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; Today at 09:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 280

Are the Poison save DCs for a wild shaped druid generally worse than the base creature?

For sake of argument assume a Human Druid who wild shapes into a Huge Viper Snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual p. 281
    A viper snake has a poisonous bite... The save DC varies by the snake's size... The save DCs are Constitution-based...
    Huge Fort DC 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual p. 313
    Poison (Ex): ...The Fortitude save DC against a poison attack is equal to 10 + 1 / 2 poisoning creature's racial HD + poisoning creature's Con modifier...
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual p. 313
    Racial Hit Dice: ...Hit Dice gained from taking class levels are not racial Hit Dice...
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual Errata
    Alternate Form ...Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD...
    These four pieces combined lead me to believe that upon wild shaping the DC of the Poison ability would drop to 11 as the druid would not have the 6 racial HD of the huge viper.