A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1276
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 545

The spell quick potion from the Spell Compendium allows a wizard to create a temporary potion, with the same spell limitation as with true potions.

A) What happens if said potion is consumed toward the end of the duration of the quick potion spell (1 hour/level) and the piggybacking spell's duration extends beyond that? Does the latter's spell duration take precedence?

B) The spell specifies nothing about caster level limitation. Most commonly, the spell infused in a potion is cast at its minimal caster level, since creating a potion with a higher caster level cost a lot more. However, quick potion has no cost involved, so can the spell contained have a much higher caster level (up to the caster's normal maximum, of course)?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q 546

Long long time ago, during 3.0 redaction, I saw suggestion to give up fighter's Heavy and Medium Armor Proficiency and instead take Hide and Move Silently as class skills. Somewhere in rulebooks. Can't remember where. Can anybody help?
    Spoiler: Villainous Competition medals.
    Show
    Creeping Ghoulification - VC XL BRONZE
    Xokhtohm - VC XL+1 BRONZE

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Titan in the Playground

A 546 Are you thinking of thug fighter?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my new sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New book coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 546 Are you thinking of thug fighter?
    No. He hasn't hide and ms.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 547

What's the caster level of a Janni's Change Size SLA? I'm seeing CL 12 for invisibility, speak with animals and ethereal jaunt, and CL 7 for create food and water.

Was this addressed in errata anywhere?

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

A 547 When not otherwise specified, cl defaults to hd. There was no errata regarding this, so it defaults to 6.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my new sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New book coming soon.

Iron Chef Medals!

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Q 548

The Foe Hunter feat gives you a favored enemy - the feat says "This benefit functions like the ranger class feature of the same name, except that the exact type of creature you oppose is determined by your home region, according to the table above."

The Nemesis feat has a req of "Favored enemy class ability"

Would that mean if you only have a FE by virtue of the Foe Hunter feat, you don't qualify to for Nemesis?

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

A 548 No. It only differs from FE in the way specified: who your FE is. In all other respects (like meeting qualifications) it's identical, so you could take nemesis.

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 548 Contention.

Correct
    , because the Nemesis feat specifies "class ability" favored enemies gained from feats do not count.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, feels like I'm spamming, but got another.

Q 549

A character loses use of a feat if they no longer meet the reqs.

How does this, in turn, affect the feat being a req for something else, like a PrC? I'm assuming since you don't actually lose the feat, just the use of it, there should be no issues? (Leaving aside the eternal argument on what happens when you no longer meet PrC reqs).

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Sorry, feels like I'm spamming, but got another.

Q 549

A character loses use of a feat if they no longer meet the reqs.

How does this, in turn, affect the feat being a req for something else, like a PrC? I'm assuming since you don't actually lose the feat, just the use of it, there should be no issues? (Leaving aside the eternal argument on what happens when you no longer meet PrC reqs).
    In general, yes.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

A 539 The classes aside from fighter and paladin that are proficient with all armors are anointed knight, chameleon, witch hunter, knight of the sacred seal, singh rager, spellsword, knight, shining blade of heironeous, and radiant servant of pelor.
    Partial correction to 539: the Spellsword does not grant any weapon or armour proficiencies. It requires proficiency with all simple and martial weapons and with all armour.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Orc in the Playground

Q550

Can more than one swift action be used in a round, if the second/third such swift action are taken as move/standard actions? Example PHBII shapeshift variant druid that's in predator form and wants to cast a spell and then go back into predator form in a single turn, sequence of event would be swift action lose the polymorph, standard action cast the spell, swift action as move action go back in predator form

Q551

Where is it defined that an immediate action "consumes" next round swift action? On the srd all that it's stated about immediate action is that they are "like swift actiom, but you cam take them anytime, even when it isn't your turn"

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

A 550 It is not possible to do this. You cannot sacrifice "greater" actions like move or standard to grant yourself extra "lesser" actions like swifts.

A 551 It's in the section on immediate actions:
    Quote Originally Posted by srd on immediate actions
    Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn.

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

A550 Well, no, but actually yes. You see, the Rules Compendium has a baffling entry allowing the player to ready a swift action as a standard action (p.110, "How to ready"). Since you can have readied actions go off based on any triggering conditions, you can set your triggering condition to be "when I take my move action" or "when I take my other swift action." Thus, by forgoing a standard action, a turn can be a move action and two swift actions.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Show

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q552: a shield of arrow catching has the following text:
    Projectiles and thrown weapons that have an enhancement bonus higher than the shield’s base AC bonus are not diverted to the wearer
    if a magic weapon is used to fire a normal projectile, does it bypass the shield? does the bonus of the weapon count, or that of the ammunition?

Q553: if someone is hit by dimensional anchor, and then subsequently dies, can you teleport their body? is the spell still active after death?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Troll in the Playground

A 552

Magical ranged weapons do not actually provide their enhancement bonus to their ammunition. They are simply treated as magic weapons (and aligned weapons if appropriate) for overcoming DR.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

A 553 No. They were a legal target when the spell checked them so it stays up. Even if spells rechecked targets after they'd been turned into something (which to be clear they don't) dimensional anchor also works on objects. Since the duration's only a minute/lvl, you can just wait a few minutes and teleport it or throw it in your bag of holding and teleport yourself if you're in a hurry for some reason.
    Last edited by Venger; 2021-10-01 at 01:58 AM.

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #1220

Q 554

I've looked up this answer elsewhere, but could only find heated discussions. So tell me, by RAW:

Does a character using the Total Defense action still threaten adjacent squares (and thus still can give a flanking bonus)?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 554

I've looked up this answer elsewhere, but could only find heated discussions. So tell me, by RAW:

Does a character using the Total Defense action still threaten adjacent squares (and thus still can give a flanking bonus)?
    Active Shield Defense
    ( Player's Handbook II, p. 71)

Benefit
    When fighting defensively and using a shield, you do not take the standard fighting defensively penalties on attacks of opportunity. When using the total defense action and a shield, you still threaten the area around you as normal. You can make attacks of opportunity with a -4 penalty.
    Exception proves the rule.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Troll in the Playground

A 554 Contention/additional Information

I'd agree by RAI, but "exception proves the rule" isn't RAW.

That said, the "Normal" section of that same feat (and probably in the Rules Compendium or somewhere, but I don't have time to check right now) specifies that you can't attack while using Total Defense. Flanking depends on threatened squares, and threatened squares are defined as squares you can make a melee attack into. If you can't attack, you don't threaten.

So the answer is still no.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    A 552

Magical ranged weapons do not actually provide their enhancement bonus to their ammunition. They are simply treated as magic weapons (and aligned weapons if appropriate) for overcoming DR.
    Wait, what? If I fire an arrow from a +3 Longbow, it doesn't get +3 to hit and damage? Or am I misunderstanding something?

24. - Top - End - #1224

RogueGuy

Question 555 Does one need to be a paladn or cleric of Ilmater to cast Favor of Illmator?

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

A 555 No. You could be a chameleon, archivist, wyrm wizard, etc. If you are a cleric, this is not on the normal list so you must have the initiate of ilmater feat which requires worshipping ilmater. A paladin can revere any deity and cast this spell.
    Last edited by Venger; 2021-10-01 at 08:19 PM.

Iron Chef Medals!

26. - Top - End - #1226

RogueGuy

A 555 No. You could be a chameleon, archivist, wyrm wizard, etc. If you are a cleric, this is not on the normal list so you must have the initiate of ilmater feat which requires worshipping ilmater. A paladin can revere any deity and cast this spell.
    Q 555 b: follow-up question. Can a non-Ilmater cleric with paladin levels cast Favor of Ilmater from their paladin side (and wands etc)

(Can't get the spell you want? If you were in chameleon, that wouldn't be a problem.)

Edit: In Magic of Faerûn it says
    Quote Originally Posted by Favor of Ilmater
    Clerics and paladins who don't worship Ilmater name this spell after their own deity—favor of Torm, for example.
    Is this a valid version?
    Last edited by bean illus; 2021-10-01 at 08:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

A 555b Yes. ten characters

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Wait, what? If I fire an arrow from a +3 Longbow, it doesn't get +3 to hit and damage? Or am I misunderstanding something?
    You get the +3 from the bow, but the arrow itself is just treated as a magic weapon. Yeah, I thought it was odd too.

On a related note, an Epic bow doesn't explicitly treat its arrows as Epic.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2021-10-01 at 11:07 PM.

Show

29. - Top - End - #1229

Q 556

Can you "designate an opponent" for the Dodge feat on your turn as someone you aren't seeing yet?

For example, a character waiting in ambush at a corner, and deciding that said target is "the first opponent who walks past the corner"...

Or would that requires to ready an action?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-10-02 at 07:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1230

RogueGuy

Q 557 If an Illumian with krau gains other caster level bonuses, does the krau bonus become inactive if he gains enough other caster level bonuses to exceed his character level?
    Last edited by bean illus; 2021-10-02 at 02:27 PM.