New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

A 307 Whether the flight is ex or su, a creature with good or better maneuverability hovers there. If maneuverability is average or worse, it would be unable to sustain minimum forward speed and fall 150 feet that turn because it cannot take actions. If it hits the ground, it takes the relevant falling damage. If it's too high, it falls 300 feet the next round and each subsequent round until it hits the ground or is no longer cowering.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #662
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q308

If I have claws attack from multiple sources and no other weapon, are they all primary?
    Example : a psywarrior/totemist with chakra bind (totem) girallon arms and using the Claws of the beast power.
    My gut feeling was this is 6 primary attacks, all the same weapon, so a full attack is 6x claw at my highest attack bonus for claw damage + str
    BUT I saw in the totemist handbook the interpretation that girallon armos is 1claw primary adn 3 claw secondary.
    I am confused

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

A308: Maybe. But not in your example.

The SRD cites the general rule for natural weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    When a creature has more than one natural weapon, one of them (or sometimes a pair or set of them) is the primary weapon. All the creature’s remaining natural weapons are secondary.
    However, each of the methods you listed to gain natural attacks has specific rules and caveats. For example, the Claws of the Beast power states that "If you attack with a manufactured weapon or another natural attack, you can’t make any claw attacks in that round." So it wouldn't stack with using Girallon Arms in the same round. Girallon Arms (p68 of MoI) also has particular rules, namely, "You can make a single claw attack as a primary attack ... you can make up to three additional claw attacks as secondary attacks."

The Totemist Handbook correctly interprets the text of the rule.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #664

Q309

Is taking the Practiced spellcaster feat a valid way to qualify for feats that have "caster level Nth", such as, for example, magic item creation feats?

Assuming the ECL is otherwise high enough, of course.

a Wizard 1/fighter 4/ PrC1, that wants to take Craft magic arms and armor for his 6th level feat, for example

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

A 309 Yes. ten characters
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

6. - Top - End - #666

Q310

What's the DC of the SLA granted by the heritage feats from complete mage? is it always the CHA modifier as per the https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm ?

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

A 310 Yes. It is 10+level of spell + cha mod, as standard for slas in the rules you have referenced.

Iron Chef Medals!

8. - Top - End - #668
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q311 Planetar has good aligned unarmed attacks/natural weapons, do I get that if I polymorph into one? It's not specified if it's a extraordinary attack, quality, supernatural or whatever.

Q312 If I have an amulet of health +X, and I polymorph to a different form that can still wear it, does the amulet counts the bonus both for my original form (for HP) and to the modified Con score of the polymorphed form (for saves and skill bonuses)?
    Last edited by Bard; 2021-05-15 at 06:05 PM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bard View Post
    Q311 Planetar has good aligned unarmed attacks/natural weapons, do I get that if I polymorph into one? It's not specified if it's a extraordinary attack, quality, supernatural or whatever.
    I found the answer myself... still no RAW about Q312 tho :(

A311 Yes, you get the target form subtypes, in this case the Good subtype that gives that benefit.
    Last edited by Bard; 2021-05-15 at 06:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

A 311 That's because this ability is from the [Good] subtype. It is not a special attack. Polymorph confers types and subtypes, so you gain this ability if you can polymorph into an outsider somehow.
    A 312 Yes.

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #671
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Thanks, that just made another question pop up tho, so...

Q 313: When I polymorph into something and get their type and subtype, do I get ALL of the bonuses or are some excluded by the text of polymorph?
    Example: polymorph into an Angel, do I get Tongues and Protective Aura even if polymorph says I don't get supernatural stuff?
    Or, if I become a creature with Air subtype, do I get "Air creatures always have fly speeds and usually have perfect maneuverability." even if polymorph excludes fly speed without wings?
    Last edited by Bard; 2021-05-15 at 06:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

A 313 Your understanding is correct. No, you do not get those things, because they are supernatural and polymorph does not give supernatural abilities.

Iron Chef Medals!

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Q314:
    Can Daern's Instant Tent be used multiple times, or just once?

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

A314: Multiple. Based on the description it isn't clear, but it is mostly priced in line with slotless command activation permanent items with a 1/day limit. See instant fortress.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

15. - Top - End - #675

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q315
    On page 100 of my PHB (Core Rulebook I v.3.5. First Printing July 2003) there are two feats, Shot on the Run and Spring attack. Both feats are worded the same way:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shot on the Run, PHB pg 100
    When using the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spring Attack, PHB pg 100
    When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed...
    The errata in the back of my book makes not mention to a change in either of these feats.

Can I also use a move action following the attack action that I just used?

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

A 315

According to here, the wording was changed in the 2012 printings to clarify that it means you can split up a separate move action between your attack action.

Some people call this stealth-errata, but I would say clarification, since the consensus was always that it worked that way.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

17. - Top - End - #677

RogueGuy

Question 316
    When an ability such as the heal skill says "character", does it include non humanoids, such as your familiar, or an opponent that's an animal, or a dragon? Where's the line?
    Last edited by bean illus; 2021-05-17 at 04:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

A 316 It refers to whatever is using the skill. Any monster can use skills.

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #679

Q317
    What are the circumstances in a full attack action that allows for unarmed attacks? Where are the rules that says a character can't make an unarmed attack if it is otherwise armed (in the scope of a full attack action)?
    Last edited by ciopo; 2021-05-18 at 03:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

A 317 You may make a full attack action consisting solely of unarmed attacks if you want to, whether or not you have IUS.

If you have IUS, you carry out the full attack normally. If not, making an unarmed attack provokes aoos from armed enemies.

If you have a weapon (for simplicity's sake we'll say you have one weapon) and are full attacking with that weapon, you will make all attacks with this weapon. You do not normally make a secondary natural attack with an unarmed strike. You do have the option of doing this if you have a bite attack or similar, making it at your highest bonus -5 when you are done with your weapon attacks.

You can do something similar with the snap kick feat which allows an unarmed strike at the end of your attacks in exchange for a -2 on all melee attacks that round.

There isn't a rule saying you can't make unarmed attacks if you have a weapon. What you can't do is begin your full attack with a weapon and then mix in unarmed attacks. This only happens with secondary natural attacks, which are different from unarmed strikes.

Iron Chef Medals!

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q318 In order to throw a subject (note, not an object) that is alive, well, and willing, what rules would apply (if any)?

To put this in context, we have a situation in our game where we might actually have to toss a dwarf. A group of enemies is trapped in the middle of entangle and we don't have any good ranged weapons (our ranged options are druid, sorcerer, and cohort wizard, all three out of juice at the moment. And we do really want to keep the enemies entangled. However, in order to be able to do something to them, we would need to get in entangle but preferably avoid being entangled, at least until we are within reach of the enemies. Plus, we have to take them out, or they will alert their allies of our presence.

My character is currently enlarged, and has Str 20 as result, so I'd be able to carry the dwarf (who weighs approximately 219 lb. in total, all his gear included) while going only into medium load myself, my own gear included. However, I'm struggling to find actual rules that would explain what should we take into account if we're trying to throw a person closer to targets.

Obviously, because the situation is ongoing, feat support doesn't really help right now (but won't hurt to know if there are something like that).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-05-18 at 06:31 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #682

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    Question 316
    When an ability such as the heal skill says "character", does it include non humanoids, such as your familiar, or an opponent that's an animal, or a dragon? Where's the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 316 It refers to whatever is using the skill. Any monster can use skills.
    Q 316 B
    But, can a dragon use (for instance) a heal skill to stabilize a human, and visa-versa?

Q 316 C
    Are hands needed?

Q 316 D
    Can a familiar stabilize her master (maybe lick the wound, and emotional support). Long term care (bring food, guard, ensure rest)?
    Last edited by bean illus; 2021-05-18 at 10:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

A 318 Treat the dwarf as an improvised thrown weapon. They have a range increment of 10 feet. Target a square (ac 10) instead of an enemy to make hitting your target easier since you take a -4 nonproficiency penalty.

A 316 B Yes
    A 316 C No
    A 316 D Yes

Iron Chef Medals!

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

A 318 Correction

The AC of a 5' square of the map is 5, not 10.

A 318 More General Response

While you obviously can't take the feat mid-combat, your table may also be able to look at the mechanics described by the Fling Ally feat (Races of Stone, pg 139) to help figure things out. (Though Venger's response above is also mechanically sound).
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q319 When do you have to cast Feather Fall to save yourself from taking falling damage? Do I have to cast it immediately when I start falling or can I decide the exact moment myself?

For example, if I have one level in a class that grants me feather fall, my feather fall lasts for 1 round, during which I fall only 60 feet (instead of the normal 150 ft). If I fall from 200 ft. height, can I choose to cast Feather Fall as soon as I'm within the distance that my Feather Fall could save me from, or do I have to cast it immediately and take falling damage from the remaining distance left after the spell expires?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-05-19 at 01:28 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

A 319 In order for feather fall to protect you, you want it active during the time you would hit the ground. In the case of it having a duration of only 1 round, you would cast it when you are within 60' of the ground as long as you had an immediate action available for the round.

If you fall from 200ft, you may cast feather fall when you're within 60ft of the ground. When falling, you normally fall 150ft the first round and 300ft each subsequent round, so you would cast feather fall after you'd fallen 150ft the first round and before your turn on the second round to avoid taking damage.

You do not need to cast feather fall immediately upon falling, though once your cl improves and depending on the exact distance you're falling, you may choose to do this so you have your swift/immediate available to you on subsequent rounds.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #687

Q 320
    Does the scourge exotic weapon inherit the special qualities of the whip weapons?

Q 321 what is the reach of a character large or bigger using a whip/scourge? Per the srd, the reach quality doubles the natural reach of a character, does the whip triple it or is it a static 15?

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 322

Would the Narrowed Gaze feat (Serpent Kingdoms) allow to make Sneak Attacks with the Gaze (presuming Gaze do actual damage)?

29. - Top - End - #689

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Q 322

Would the Narrowed Gaze feat (Serpent Kingdoms) allow to make Sneak Attacks with the Gaze (presuming Gaze do actual damage)?
    A 322
    No, because a gaze attack, with the feat or not, doesn't require an attack roll. Only attacks resolved through an attack roll can add sneak attack damage to them (as they allow striking vulnerable spots with precision). That's why weaponlike spells such as rays can do sneak attack damage, but other damaging spells or supernatural powers won't if they don't require an attack roll.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-05-20 at 03:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q 320
    Does the scourge exotic weapon inherit the special qualities of the whip weapons?

Q 321 what is the reach of a character large or bigger using a whip/scourge? Per the srd, the reach quality doubles the natural reach of a character, does the whip triple it or is it a static 15?
    A320 Scourge description doesn't state that it has reach nor that it counts as a whip otherwise. Therefore, a scourge has no reach beyond that of the standard melee range.

A321 Reach doubles, even for a whip. A large whip would have 30 ft. reach and a large scourge would have 10 ft. reach.

Q323 Whip and extra damage from special abilities.

The whip's description tells us that "it deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher."

Would this rule apply even when you have a magical whip with a special ability that specifically deals extra damage. For example, would a +1 frost whip still deal nothing against targets with the above parameters? Or would the whip deal the extra damage only?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-05-21 at 02:48 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014