New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 189

About the Wilder class: am I reading correctly the rules for a Wild Surge by concluding this class ability is not limited to Wilder powers? A multiclassed Wilder/Psion, for example, could use a Wild Surge with Psion psychic powers?
    A 189

Yes, that is correct.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2021-03-02 at 07:09 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 190

Assuming aptitude can trigger lightning maces, if you put aptitude on 2 claws via necklace of natural weapons, would that count as "using a [claw] in each hand" for the purpose of lightning maces? What does "using" in this context mean? Seems to offer potential that this works since doesn't say "wielding".
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q 190

Assuming aptitude can trigger lightning maces, if you put aptitude on 2 claws via necklace of natural weapons, would that count as "using a [claw] in each hand" for the purpose of lightning maces? What does "using" in this context mean? Seems to offer potential that this works since doesn't say "wielding".
    It means two-weapon fighting with maces.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    It means two-weapon fighting with maces.
    Two-weapon fighting isn't an action though. An off-hand attack is an action, but outside of taking that action there is no way to quantify two-weapon fighting beyond "wielding". So you're interpreting "use" as "wield"?

Under that reading is there a formal definition of "wield" that would settle whether you are or aren't wielding natural weapons? I don't see in gloss.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Two-weapon fighting isn't an action though. An off-hand attack is an action, but outside of taking that action there is no way to quantify two-weapon fighting beyond "wielding". So you're interpreting "use" as "wield"?

Under that reading is there a formal definition of "wield" that would settle whether you are or aren't wielding natural weapons? I don't see in gloss.
    Of course you can quantify it. It's listed as a special attack in the PHB. When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you suffer penalties on your attack rolls in exchange for an extra attack.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the SRD I'm confused then: at what point do you make the decision to TWF? You would think it's a decision you make when you full attack but it doesn't specify.

At what point must you be "wielding" the offhand weapon in order to make this choice?

And again is there a formal definition of wield given anywhere?
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-03-03 at 04:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

A191
    Two-weapon fighting is done as part of a full attack. The penalty applies to all your attacks for the round, so you must decide before making your first attack whether you want to use TWF that turn. Obviously you must have at least two weapons (or a double weapon) in order to do this.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Colossus in the Playground

And again is there a formal definition of wield given anywhere?
    Given that armour spikes can be used as part of a two-weapon fighting attack, we know that the weapon doesn't need to be "in hand" to be wielded.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 192

Would energize/enervate spell, or similar effects, work on ability damage? Would the spell deal 50% less/more ability damage to the relevant targets? Alternatively, would purify spell achieve its effect on ability damage?

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

A: 192

I'd read it as "since ability Damage is technically Damage" it applies just fine. But feel free to dismiss this answear, if someone has a more specific answear.

Q: 193

One of my players mentioned that Wall of Force has a Break DC and an amount of HP, just very high. I was about to dismiss it, but this clicked something in my memory, and I've been browsing through my Collection, and have yet to find anything. Does anyone know the stats and if so, can referance them with their book and page?

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

11. - Top - End - #401

Not going by the stats for Epic Obstacles:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/obstacles.htm

Wall Type Typical Thickness Break DC Hardness Hit Points
    Wall of force 1in. n/a n/a n/a
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-03-04 at 10:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 194:

Does the Marshal's Motivate Charisma apply on Voice of the City (Cs Web Enhancement) ACF checks assuming you have keyed it off Cha?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Q 192

Would energize/enervate spell, or similar effects, work on ability damage? Would the spell deal 50% less/more ability damage to the relevant targets? Alternatively, would purify spell achieve its effect on ability damage?
    A 192
    That's kinda a moot point with Energize spell, since undead are immune to ability damage anyway.

Otherwise, ability damage tends to be considered like other damages (notably with the weaponlike spells rules from Complete Arcane), so indeed it should work. Although there might be exceptions on a case-by-case basis depending on the specific spell.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaiKirah View Post
    Q 194:

Does the Marshal's Motivate Charisma apply on Voice of the City (Cs Web Enhancement) ACF checks assuming you have keyed it off Cha?
    Yes, because it's a Charisma check.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

A 194

Are we sure it's a Charisma check?

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Sometimes a character tries to do something to which no specific skill really applies. In these cases, you make an ability check. An ability check is a roll of 1d20 plus the appropriate ability modifier. Essentially, you’re making an untrained skill check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Class Features
    More complex concepts require her to make a roll: d20 + her class level + either her Wisdom modifier (if trying to understand someone else) or Charisma modifier (if trying to make someone else understand her).
    Voice of the city check is 1d20 + class level + ability mod. This is not, by definition, an ability check, since you are adding your level as well.

It's more like, say, a Binder's Binding Check, where another variable is added to the roll and ability modifier.

IMHO, no, you wouldn't add your Motivate Charisma bonus.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Pixie in the Playground

Q195
    If I have a medium +1 force splitting Elvencraft longbow that functions in melee as a +3 defending/mw quarterstaff, would it have 15 HP (as a +1 projectile weapon), 40 HP (as a +3 2H hafted weapon), or 35 HP (as a +3 projectile weapon)?
    Last edited by Lin; 2021-03-04 at 08:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 194

Are we sure it's a Charisma check?
    IMHO, no, you wouldn't add your Motivate Charisma bonus.
    The comparison to an untrained skill check convinces me. A194 conceded.

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Q195
    If I have a medium +1 force splitting Elvencraft longbow that functions in melee as a +3 defending/mw quarterstaff, would it have 15 HP (as a +1 projectile weapon), 40 HP (as a +3 2H hafted weapon), or 35 HP (as a +3 projectile weapon)?
    I'd go with 15HP. Just because it functions in melee as a staff, doesn't mean that it is a staff - if the base weapon is a longbow, it should have longbow hit points. And if the base enhancement bonus is +1, it gets the +1 only.

Other properties besides enhancement bonus don't count towards hit points:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm

Hardness and Hit Points
    Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a weapon’s or shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 196

Quote Originally Posted by Magic of Faerűn
    Flying: A flying weapon can fly at speed 30 feet and is treated as an animated object with hardness and hit points equal to a typical weapon of its kind. A flying weapon follows orders subject to the limits of its ability (it has no Intelligence) but can be ordered to guard a location just as an animated skeleton can. Only melee weapons can have the flying ability.
    Statistics of Animated Object are depend on the size of object in question
    So, what would be statistics of Flying Poison Ring (Dragon Compendium)?
    Would it fluctuate depending on the user's size?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Q 197

Is there any rules text forbidding a standard druid from wild shaping into a swarm (of animals), assuming that they are capable of wild shaping into an animal of the correct size/HD for the swarm? If so, where can that rules text be found? Neither the text of wild shape or the text of alternate form seem to have any prohibition on it, and neither does polymorph, which alternate form references. I have a gut-level feeling that there's something preventing it, but I can't find anything to back that up, so I want to know if I was just making an unfounded assumption.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

21. - Top - End - #411

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Q 197

Is there any rules text forbidding a standard druid from wild shaping into a swarm (of animals), assuming that they are capable of wild shaping into an animal of the correct size/HD for the swarm? If so, where can that rules text be found? Neither the text of wild shape or the text of alternate form seem to have any prohibition on it, and neither does polymorph, which alternate form references. I have a gut-level feeling that there's something preventing it, but I can't find anything to back that up, so I want to know if I was just making an unfounded assumption.
    A 197
    A text having "no prohibition" against doing something is never synonymous with said something being possible.

And you don't have to go any further than the normal rules for the ability anyway:
    At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day.
    Note that "animal" here is singular. A swarm is constituted of many animals.

There exist at least one alternate class feature allowing a druid to turn into a swarm (City-Shape, I believe), but it isn't part of the standard Wild Shape class feature.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #412
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Q 196
    Statistics of Animated Object are depend on the size of object in question
    So, what would be statistics of Flying Poison Ring (Dragon Compendium)?
    Would it fluctuate depending on the user's size?
    A196

According to the SRD (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment...htm#weaponSize),
    A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder[…]
    so one could argue that a poison ring, being a light weapon, is two sizes smaller than the wielder (so if the wielder is medium, it would be tiny), but this is a general rule.

A creature's size category is determined by its length or height, as seen on this chart: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/mov...aturesInCombat

A poison ring, specifically, is a weapon worn on the wielder's finger, so unless you have fingers wider than 6 inches across (or 19 inches in circumference), the ring should be Fine.

This is assuming, of course, that the use of the word "tiny" to describe the poison-dispensing needle is flavor text -- if that's taken to be rules text, then a poison ring should, by RAW, always be at least Tiny. (The needle can be "flipped" and manipulated with one hand, which doesn't sound like 1-2ft long, but YMMV.)
    Last edited by Lin; 2021-03-05 at 10:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 198

What book is the amulet of natural attacks in?
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2021-03-06 at 01:14 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    A poison ring, specifically, is a weapon worn on the wielder's finger, so unless you have fingers wider than 6 inches across (or 19 inches in circumference), the ring should be Fine.
    By my calculations, finger of Elder Titan is over 2' in circumference - way more than 19"

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

A198 (clarification) Do you mean an "amulet of mighty fists," which is on the srd, a "necklace of natural weapons" from savage species, or a third, discrete item called the "amulet of natural attacks?" If the latter, would you please be so kind as to tell us what kinds of special powers it gives you to the best of your recollection?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    By my calculations, finger of Elder Titan is over 2' in circumference - way more than 19"
    Sounds about right. Even if you're using the little finger - a half-inch diameter Medium being's ring becomes a 1 inch diameter Large ring, a 2 inch diameter huge ring, a 4 inch diameter Gargantuan ring, or an 8 inch diameter Colossal being's ring. Which would be a bit over 24 inches in circumference, yes.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-03-06 at 07:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 199
    The Mind Mage is a arcane/psionic theurge prestige class from Dragon Magazine #313. Its capstone ability reads:

[...]the character may add his full mind mage class level to both his magical and his psionic class levels for the purpose of determining caster or manifester level. Furthermore, evoking this ability enables him to add together the key ability modifier for his psionic powers and the ability modifier that controls his spellcasting when using any psi-spell ability.
    How would this behave if the character had more than one magical or psionic class?

28. - Top - End - #418

Q 200
    Are there any +0 or +1 templates that provide Large size other than Half-Ogre/Half-Minotaur? Savage species stuff may also be acceptable, but Large would need to happen at 1st level (which I'm pretty sure doesn't happen).
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2021-03-06 at 03:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Q 200
    Are there any +0 or +1 templates that provide Large size other than Half-Ogre/Half-Minotaur? Savage species stuff may also be acceptable, but Large would need to happen at 1st level (which I'm pretty sure doesn't happen).
    The closest is Mulhorandi divine minion, which allows you to do it by transforming into a cow (Hathor) or lion (Anhur). If you want your natural form to be Large, it will cost you at least a +2.

30. - Top - End - #420

If Pathfinder content is allowed, then there is the simple template "Giant" which is +1. However that's +1 to CR, and doesn't have a listed LA, because Pathfinder works slightly differently.