New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    There aren't any feats that can give you blast shapes or essences if you don't already have lesser invocations or better. However, there are prestige classes (enlightened spirit) and magic items (rod of eldritch power) that can do so.
    Thanks. So, except (I assume) for feats like Sudden Quicken and such, Supernatural Transformation (since it's a racial ability, and those are widely considered innate) and Ability Focus, there aren't many options for optimization. That's disappointing. Oh well. At least I get an at-will touch-attack.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Thanks. So, except (I assume) for feats like Sudden Quicken and such, Supernatural Transformation (since it's a racial ability, and those are widely considered innate) and Ability Focus, there aren't many options for optimization. That's disappointing. Oh well. At least I get an at-will touch-attack.
    There are certainly options. Just not ones that give blast shapes or essences.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 143

A Wizard also has two levels of Chameleon. Thanks to selecting Arcane Focus as an aptitude focus, she can cast arcane spells from any arcane caster class list as Chameleon spells, and not just Wizard spells (and thus has started an additional spellbook with a few of these).

A) If she casts a mnemonic enhancer spell (as a Wizard spell) and choose the "prepare" option, can the three levels of spell prepared be non-wizard arcane spells she knows (and usually prepare in the Chameleon spell slots)?

B) If the answer to A) is yes, can the spell prepared with mnemonic enhancer be a third-level arcane spell not on the Wizard spell list, despite not yet being high-level enough to cast it as a Chameleon (because no third-level spell slot)?

C) Is the above option lost if she picks a different aptitude focus than Arcane Focus for the day?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-02-01 at 06:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Q 144

Does anybody have a list, or can anybody point me to a list, of the undead that one can create with a create undead or create greater undead spell?

i.e. The PHB only covers four types of undead for each spell, but various monster profiles (such as Bone Creature from the BoVD) include the detail that they can be created via the use of a create (greater) undead spell.
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurellien View Post
    Here's a good one

"We are not working on 4th edition and we have no plans for it."
    -Every single person at WotC when asked
    You sir, win.

Robin of Whitehills, NG Human Druid IV, by me.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 145

How does the spell Bone Chill work? It is neither harmless nor does it work on objects, but undead are immune to effects that require a fortitude save.
    Do undead just apply their crappy base fort save with - con score?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Q 145

How does the spell Bone Chill work? It is neither harmless nor does it work on objects, but undead are immune to effects that require a fortitude save.
    Do undead just apply their crappy base fort save with - con score?
    Yes. It's an exception to the general rule, since it specifically calls out that undead are affected.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

A 143a Yes.
    A 143b No.
    A 143c No.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 146 If you're using a light shield, can you load a crossbow while the shield is strapped on?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

9. - Top - End - #279

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q 146 If you're using a light shield, can you load a crossbow while the shield is strapped on?

A 146 Ask your dungeon master.

This is the rule that appears in the SRD.

Shield, Light, Wooden or Steel
    You strap a shield to your forearm and grip it with your hand. A light shield’s weight lets you carry other items in that hand, although you cannot use weapons with it.
    The question is what it means to say that you "cannot use" a weapon. Surely it means that you cannot attack with the weapon, but does it also mean that you cannot load a crossbow? I think this is a question for a dungeon master to answer.

Suppose the dungeon master allows you to load a crossbow while you have a light shield strapped to your arm. Doing so provokes attacks of opportunity. If an enemy makes an attack of opportunity against you, does your shield bonus count, or are you unable to use your shield arm to defend yourself while you're using your shield hand to load a crossbow? I would judge that you can't apply your shield bonus while you're loading the crossbow. Another dungeon master either might allow you to apply your shield bonus or might forbid you to do anything with your crossbow while you have a light shield strapped on except hold it in your free hand.

Ask your dungeon master.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 147

Could this Tainted Scholar class feature affect eldritch blast (which "counts as a 1st level spell")? Note that it's not metamagic.

Bloodseeking spell: This secret grants you the ability to imbue your spells with the ability to draw blood from their targets [...] To use this ability, you must inflict a minor wound on yourself; this is a free action that deals 3 points of damage to you and becomes a normal part of casting the spell. A bloodseeking spell deals an extra 1d6 points of damage to each target that takes damage from the spell.
    If no please cite why.
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-02-05 at 02:28 AM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q 147

Could this Tainted Scholar class feature affect eldritch blast (which "counts as a 1st level spell")? Note that it's not metamagic.

If no please cite why.
    No, because it's not a spell.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No, because it's not a spell.
    What confuses me -- "not a spell" seems to contradict "counts as a spell". For PRC entry requirements the rule is spelled out, but it seems unclear in other areas.

Which line is your answer based on?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 147

Eldritch blast, like all invocations, is a spell-like ability. It is not a spell and does not "count as a spell" for the purpose of applying any kind of effect like you're suggesting.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

What confuses me -- "not a spell" seems to contradict "counts as a spell". For PRC entry requirements the rule is spelled out, but it seems unclear in other areas.

Which line is your answer based on?
    Spell-like abilities are like spells, but they're not spells. Unless otherwise noted, you can't use them with abilities that only work on spells.

I don't know where you found that second quote, by the way.

15. - Top - End - #285

Q 148

Does the Extra Spell feat (Complete Arcane) allows a wizard to learn and cast a new spell that isn't on the wizard spell list?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 148

Does the Extra Spell feat (Complete Arcane) allows a wizard to learn and cast a new spell that isn't on the wizard spell list?
    No, nothing in the feat overrides the normal restrictions on the types of spells you can learn. It merely gives you an additional one.

17. - Top - End - #287

Q 149

Some clerical spells have effects depending on the alignment of the caster (such as mark of judgement) or the actual faith of the caster (such as mark of the unfaithful).

If such a spell is cast through a magic item, like a scroll or wand, which alignment or faith are taken into account? Those of the user, or those of the item's creator?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 149

Some clerical spells have effects depending on the alignment of the caster (such as mark of judgement) or the actual faith of the caster (such as mark of the unfaithful).

If such a spell is cast through a magic item, like a scroll or wand, which alignment or faith are taken into account? Those of the user, or those of the item's creator?
    A 149

It depends on the type of magic item. In most cases, the alignment effect would be determined by the item creator, who is the one who casts the spell in the first place. This is because other effects (caster level, DC, and even access to the spell) are keyed off the creator's attributes, not those of the user. A cleric could use items to cast cleric spells that they can't access themselves due to not having the right caster level or Wisdom score, and those spells would be keyed off the Wisdom score and caster level of the item creator. Thus, it is reasonable to assume that the alignment and faith of the creator would determine the effects of a scroll or wand, not those of the user.

One likely exception to this is spells cast from staffs. page 214 of the DMG specifically states:

Quote Originally Posted by DMG p.214
    Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.
    From this we can ascertain that the attributes of the wielder normally don't contribute to the nature of the spell, but that they do so in the case of staffs. This is not just the saving throw, because the text also mentions caster level - which does not modify the save DC. Thus if your cleric was casting a spell with alignment-based effect from a staff, it would use the cleric's alignment to determine the effects of the spell.
    Last edited by Laurellien; 2021-02-08 at 06:42 AM.
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurellien View Post
    Here's a good one

"We are not working on 4th edition and we have no plans for it."
    -Every single person at WotC when asked
    You sir, win.

Robin of Whitehills, NG Human Druid IV, by me.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q150

I seem to recall there was a standardized expectation that PCs pass X% of their saves with a good save, break enemy AC X% of the time with full bab, etc, but I can't recall where I saw that discussed. Is there a text or resource around that would help reflect this sort of information:

• Easy/Medium/Hard skill DC for PC with class skill
    • Easy/Medium/Hard save DC for PC with good save
    • Easy/Medium/Hard AC for PC with full BAB
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q150

I seem to recall there was a standardized expectation that PCs pass X% of their saves with a good save, break enemy AC X% of the time with full bab, etc, but I can't recall where I saw that discussed. Is there a text or resource around that would help reflect this sort of information:

• Easy/Medium/Hard skill DC for PC with class skill
    • Easy/Medium/Hard save DC for PC with good save
    • Easy/Medium/Hard AC for PC with full BAB
    In the community, maybe, I'm not sure. In RAW, no. This wasn't properly codified in the rules until 4th Edition.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q151a

If you milk yourself for venom with a poison that has a save DC based on your statistics (For example, the Fangs graft in Serpent Kingdoms), what is the save DC if you used a stat buffing ability at the time of milking? Would it be based on your Constitution at the time of milking, or your constitution at the time of use? The latter doesn't make much sense to me as it's no longer part of your body.

and related:

Q151b

How long does it take for you to milk your own venom? It's one minute to milk a willing or incapacitated animal as far as I know, but you're totally in control of your own venom.

Clarification: The Bestow Venom trick here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Drow of the Underdark pg 46
    Bestow Venom (DC 15):
    By succeeding on a DC 15 Handle Animal check to handle a vermin that has a poison special attack, you can compel the vermin to give up some of its venom. The creature deposits its poison into a container you indicate, providing a single dose. A Handle Animal check to extract venom takes 1 minute. You can then attempt a DC 15 Craft (poisonmaking) check to refine this venom into a poison you can use.
    Last edited by Khatoblepas; 2021-02-08 at 04:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    Q151a

If you milk yourself for venom with a poison that has a save DC based on your statistics (For example, the Fangs graft in Serpent Kingdoms), what is the save DC if you used a stat buffing ability at the time of milking? Would it be based on your Constitution at the time of milking, or your constitution at the time of use? The latter doesn't make much sense to me as it's no longer part of your body.

and related:

Q151b

How long does it take for you to milk your own venom? It's one minute to milk a willing or incapacitated animal as far as I know, but you're totally in control of your own venom.
    A 151 A & B

Since, AFAIK, there are no rules for milking venom in 3.5, there is no RAW answer for this. Ask your DM for a ruling.

23. - Top - End - #293

Goblin

[QUOTE=Khatoblepas;24920676]Q151a

If you milk yourself for venom with a poison that has a save DC based on your statistics (For example, the Fangs graft in Serpent Kingdoms), what is the save DC if you used a stat buffing ability at the time of milking? Would it be based on your Constitution at the time of milking, or your constitution at the time of use? The latter doesn't make much sense to me as it's no longer part of your body.[QUOTE]

A 151a

I think you'd only apply your Constitution buff to the poison DC if the venom was extracted while your Constitution was buffed and only if you use it before the buff expires. But, that may not be strictly RAW: I may be using my own reasoning a bit too much there.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    Q151b

Clarification: The Bestow Venom trick here:
    A 151b

In the absence of a more specific rule on this, you'd probably just need to apply the existing rule, even if it seems a little silly to you. But keep in mind that the rule you've quoted isn't necessarily universal: as written, it's specific to vermin that have been trained with drow-specific Handle Animal rules, so it may not apply outside that context by RAW.

Dragon #349 has a "poisonmaker's guide" article with some more rules about harvesting and processing venom, but if I recall, those are presented as "optional rules," and I don't know what they say about the time required. It's also not a WotC source, technically.

Also, if it helps, in Oriental Adventures the shinomen naga race has rules for applying their own venom to a weapon (basically, it's a full-round action). Extrapolating that to your specific situation is not technically RAW, but it does set another precedent, so it might be just as appropriate as the Bestow Venom rules you quoted.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 152

Does Fist of the Forest AC bonus stack with monk AC bonus?

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 153

Weird one, but here goes: say I'm a Bugbear PC with 3 RHD and class levels. I'm progressing in Shaper of Form, and use the Modify Self / Renaissance ability to permanently change myself into an Elf. What happens to my RHD? Do I retain the 3RHD because I started as a Bugbear, or do I lose them because Elves have no RHD?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 152

Tentative A 152
    I believe it does, because it's an untyped bonus and doesn't explicitly say otherwise. But, I may have forgotten a specific rule from somewhere that contradicts this reading . . .
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

27. - Top - End - #297
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 154

Can I make an attack of opportunity while casting a full-round spell?
    Last edited by Arparrabiosa; 2021-02-10 at 07:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 154 Yes, but you would have to abort the spell-casting to do so.

29. - Top - End - #299

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post

Q 152

Tentative A 152
    I believe it does, because it's an untyped bonus and doesn't explicitly say otherwise. But, I may have forgotten a specific rule from somewhere that contradicts this reading . . .
    A 152
    The rule in question is that class features sporting the same name don't stack with each other unless specifically described as such. The "AC Bonus" from Fist of the Forest and Monk are the same ability, just one being linking to CON and the other to WIS, and thus don't stack. Having both only mean you can use the higher stat (and can switch between the two at will, which can be handy in case of ability damage).
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-02-10 at 11:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #300
    Halfling in the Playground

Q155

One character starts to cast a full-round spell without casting defensively. One opponent moves in and attacks him while is casting the spell and hit him. The character pass the Concentration check and continue casting. Does the attacker get an attack of opportunity?