New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

A175 Continued This should really now be moved to its own thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Are you not counted as having smite evil just because you've used up all your daily uses? The benefit is part of the feat.
    That's a good example of why not - when you have used up your daily uses of an ability you posses you still possess the ability - you just cannot use it.
    When you use up the uses of something granted to you temporarily you definitely don't have the ability.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2021-02-22 at 04:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A175 Continued This should really now be moved to its own thread.

That's a good example of why not - when you have used up your daily uses of an ability you posses you still possess the ability - you just cannot use it.
    When you use up the uses of something granted to you temporarily you definitely don't have the ability.
    175 continued

Moving it now.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Q 179 part 1

From PHB pg. 157 (mounted combat section): "If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge. When charging on horseback, you deal double damage with a lance (see Charge, page 154)."

Does this mean that the mount is the one taking the charge action rather than the rider? Accordingly, when the mount charges, can both mount and rider make an attack at the end? (My interpretation is yes, but the rider must spend a standard action to attack as usual.)

Admittedly, the "when charging on horseback" line makes this a little muddy. Seems that the intent is that the rider is considered to be "charging" as well, but I'm mostly interested in the actions spent and on whether both mount and rider (rather than just rider) can attack.

Q 179 part 2

If indeed both mount and rider can attack, pg. 154 (charge section) says "First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent." If the mount and the rider have different reaches, is the "closest space" considered the one from which the MOUNT can reach, the RIDER can reach, or BOTH can reach?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 180
    A javelin is marked as a ranged weapon on the weapon table but can be used in melee. When used in melee is it a light, one-handed or two-handed weapon for the purpose of feats, damage etc?
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

A 180

I don't think this is specified in RAW (I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

My 2 coppers: it has fairly similar stats to a shortspear, so I'd treat is as one handed. Also, referring to the Improvised Weapon rules: "To determine the size category and appropriate damage for an improvised weapon, compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 181 A
    Something that's on fire takes 1d6 points of fire damage per round. Fire damage dealt to an object is halved before hardness is applied. Wood is listed as having 5 points of hardness. It is not possible for a mundane fire to actually harm wood, right? I can't find any specific rule that makes an exception to fire damage piercing the hardness of wood or other flammable materials.

Q 181 B
    If wood is flammable but the fire is incapable of damaging the wood to the point that it is effectively destroyed, should wooden objects burn indefinitely until extinguished?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2021-02-23 at 07:29 PM.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    Q 181 A
    Something that's on fire takes 1d6 points of fire damage per round. Fire damage dealt to an object is halved before hardness is applied. Wood is listed as having 5 points of hardness. It is not possible for a mundane fire to actually harm wood, right? I can't find any specific rule that makes an exception to fire damage piercing the hardness of wood or other flammable materials.

Q 181 B
    If wood is flammable but the fire is incapable of damaging the wood to the point that it is effectively destroyed, should wooden objects burn indefinitely until extinguished?
    Page 165 of the PHB:
    The DM may rule that certain attacks are especially successful against some objects. For example, it’s easy to light a curtain on fire, chop down a tree with an ax, or rip up a scroll. In such cases, attacks deal double their normal damage and may (at the DM’s discretion) ignore the object’s hardness.

8. - Top - End - #368

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Page 165 of the PHB:
    Aww, I must have missed that bit xD
    Although, as far as that suggestion goes... such a ruling may be considered - strictly speaking - a common house rule and not purely RAW? :P

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    Aww, I must have missed that bit xD
    Although, as far as that suggestion goes... such a ruling may be considered - strictly speaking - a common house rule and not purely RAW? :P
    No. It's right there, in the rules. That's RAW.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 182

Domain Focus cleric ACF:
    You gain double the benefit from your remaining domain's granted power, if applicable. If your remaining domain granted power has a limited number of uses per day, you may use the domain granted power twice as many times per day; if your remaining domain granted power offers a bonus, the bonus is doubled.
    Is there any reason this would not apply to feats that are granted powers? For example, if you took the Improved Initiative domain (edit: Time) does this mean you gain double the feat's bonus?
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-02-25 at 03:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Q 182

Domain Focus cleric ACF:

Is there any reason this would not apply to feats that are granted powers? For example, if you took the Improved Initiative domain does this mean you gain double the feat's bonus?
    The potential reason would be that the granted power isn't giving you a bonus, it's giving you a feat which in turn gives you a bonus. It's up to the DM to adjudicate whether this distinction is meaningful or not.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q 176

Does it require an action to switch a weapon from one hand to another, or is it a "free action" by RAW?

For example, if I am using a weapon in one hand with a light shield in the other, and I want to throw another weapon without dropping my weapon, can I hold the weapon in my shield hand while drawing and throwing another weapon? Assume I have the Quick Draw feat.
    Am I being ignored? Given how stupid questions I have most of the time, I wouldn't be surprised, but honestly, I'd like to know the answer to this one
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 183

Can a monster with innate spellcasting take a prc which advances casting without belonging to a "previous class"? For example, if a monster casts like a 14th level sorcerer, and this stacks with actual sorc levels, can they just go straight to archmage?

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Q 183

Can a monster with innate spellcasting take a prc which advances casting without belonging to a "previous class"? For example, if a monster casts like a 14th level sorcerer, and this stacks with actual sorc levels, can they just go straight to archmage?
    A 183

Can't find a citation right now, but a monster must take at least 1 actual base class level for a PrC to be able advance it's casting.

For instance, a Rakshasa Sorcerer 1 that takes 3 levels in Eldritch Knight would have the casting ability of a 10th level Sorcerer. A Rakshasa could not take Eldritch Knight to advance it's casting without at least 1 actual class level.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

A 183

Yes. The question is if you can apply casting advancement from a PRC to innate casting. I'd argue that you should be able to since RHD type functions as a class. This quote from Savage Species supports that ruling.
    Hit Dice: A monster’s “kind” is, in many ways, its character class (see Chapter 3: Classes for more on this concept); in this sense, its Hit Dice are equivalent to its monster class levels
    Some monsters with innate casting say it can be advanced by levels in that class, in which case you could avoid any ambiguity by taking a level in the class then entering the PRC.
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-02-26 at 09:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Q 176

Does it require an action to switch a weapon from one hand to another, or is it a "free action" by RAW?

For example, if I am using a weapon in one hand with a light shield in the other, and I want to throw another weapon without dropping my weapon, can I hold the weapon in my shield hand while drawing and throwing another weapon? Assume I have the Quick Draw feat.
    A 176

Per page 8 of the Rules Compendium, "switch hands with an item" is a move action that does not provoke. (I wasn't able to find a direct reference for this in the PHB, so I believe it to be derived indirectly from PHB pg. 143, which states that "manipulating an item" is a move action.) I can't find any text indicating that Quick Draw changes this.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    A 176

Per page 8 of the Rules Compendium, "switch hands with an item" is a move action that does not provoke. (I wasn't able to find a direct reference for this in the PHB, so I believe it to be derived indirectly from PHB pg. 143, which states that "manipulating an item" is a move action.) I can't find any text indicating that Quick Draw changes this.
    So, I could use a move action to switch (manipulate) my weapon from main hand to hold it with my off-hand (light shield still strapped on so no problem), and with quick draw I could still draw and throw another. This is all I needed to know. Thanks!
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

18. - Top - End - #378

So, I could use a move action to switch (manipulate) my weapon from main hand to hold it with my off-hand (light shield still strapped on so no problem), and with quick draw I could still draw and throw another. This is all I needed to know. Thanks!
    Also note, the Einhander tactical feat (Player's Handbook II) allows a maneuver that includes switching hand with your weapon as part of a free action.

Q 184

A) The Complete Warrior adds Perform [weapon drill] as a category of the Perform skill. Its description does specify that a Bard cannot use it for his bardic music abilities, but no other limitation. Thus, if a prestige class asks for some ranks in Perform (like Duelist) as a prerequisite without specifying the category, are ranks in Perform [weapon drill] enough to qualify?

B) Similarly, the third-party Book of Erotic Fantasy adds Perform [sexual techniques] as a new Perform category. If used, can you qualify as a Duelist solely with ranks in Perform [sexual techniques]?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-02-27 at 06:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 184 A) Yes One of the points people miss is that bardic "music" must be primarily sound-based - perform "mime" does not qualify.

B) Not a 3.5 RAW question as that is 3rd party material.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2021-02-27 at 10:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q185. If a prestige class requires a certain BAB does that need to happen prior to taking the class or could that class add to it. Ex. If one wanted to be a dervish from CW which requires a BAB of +5. Could one take 4 levels of fighter and then dervish at 5 (both classes having a full BAB progression) Or would they have to take 5 of fighter and dervish at 6? Thanks.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 185

Prior.

That's why it's called a "pre"-requisite.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

A 184b

Most do.

Q 186

Rules Compendium says a teleported creature must teleport into an "open" space. Would this or would this not include a space occupied by a creature, but which you are able to enter because the creature is larger than you?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

A 186 No. You cannot teleport into a square occupied by another creature, regardless of size. Those squares are occupied.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you please give a rules cite, or explain why you're drawing that conclusion?
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-03-01 at 03:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Can you please give a rules cite, or explain why you're drawing that conclusion?
    The rules for what is or is not an "open" square are not the same as the rules for which squares you're allowed to move through. They often go hand-in-hand, but they are not technically the same thing. A square that is occupied is not open even if you would be able to move through it for some reason.

26. - Top - End - #386

BardGuy

Q 187
    Should the d2 Crusader shenanigan really work as it is assumed to work?

Aura of Chaos reads:
    When one or more of your damage dice show a maximum possible result, reroll each such die and add its result to the original damage total. You can continue to reroll as long as a die shows its maximum possible result, adding each new number to the damage total until each die has shown less than a maximum result.
    Imbued Healing reads:
    When rolling for damage, treat any die roll result of 1 as 2, unless 1 is the maximum result possible.
    Rolling a 1 on a d2 results in that roll being treated as a 2, but the die still shows a 1. Aura of Chaos appears to only care about the number shown on the die, not what the actual result of that roll is.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

A 187
    No hard RAW answer to this as the rules never define this distinction (though you can point to examples of places where the distinction is drawn).

That doesn't necessarily mean the permissive reading is correct (the "if there's no rule against it it's legal" fallacy), since there are ways to read the text otherwise, but it means it's an issue of ruling not rules.

Q 186 cont
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    The rules for what is or is not an "open" square are not the same as the rules for which squares you're allowed to move through.
    But where is the definition of "open" coming from. On the face of it, it could just as well mean either "a space not occupied by any creature" or "a space you are eligible to occupy". My question is whether there's text evidence for one over the other.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q188- "Underfoot combat" allows you to move into a larger opponents space.
    Aside from the feat itself are there any rules on what that means? The larger enemy isnt flat footed and not grappled either, so are we just standing in the same field and everything else works as normal?
    Last edited by Bobur; 2021-03-02 at 05:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A188 Probably
    The intent is clear that with this feat you can occupy the space of an opponent two sizes larger than you without any penalties (on either side) just as if they were three or more sizes larger (except you also gain soft cover). However the rules don't actually say that, so there's a strong RAW argument to say that the squeezing rules apply to both you and the larger opponent.

30. - Top - End - #390

Q 189

About the Wilder class: am I reading correctly the rules for a Wild Surge by concluding this class ability is not limited to Wilder powers? A multiclassed Wilder/Psion, for example, could use a Wild Surge with Psion psychic powers?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature