New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    A196

A creature's size category is determined by its length or height, as seen on this chart: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/mov...aturesInCombat
    A196 Addendum

To be clear, size category isn't strictly determined by length or weight: the chart really just shows general patterns. There are plenty of outliers. A few examples from the MM:

• Long, snakelike creatures, like the nagas, frost worm and purple worm, frequently exceed the listed length limits for their size category.
    • Magmins are Small creatures that weigh 400 lbs.
    • The four standard elementals are almost always too heavy or too light for the size category (depending on element), and the greater and elder versions are too tall.
    • Mimics count as Large, but their length is in the Medium range, and their weight is in the Huge range.
    • And course, incorporeal creatures are all weightless entirely.

Basically, there isn't a solid, RAW method for back-converting a length or weight into a size category: it will often have to be left to a judgment call.

For ShurikVch (the original asker), the PHB only has stats for animated objects down to Tiny size, but Dragon Magazine #341 has stats for a Fine animated object (p. 65), for things like an ink pen, vial, coin or key. I think an animated ring sized for a Medium creature would fit in that size category (but that's still a judgment call). And yes, size as an animated object would depend on the size of the intended wielder/wearer.

2. - Top - End - #422

Q 201

The rules for weaponlike spells, fully developed on the Complete Arcane, cover what happen with spells inflicting ability damage or energy drain in case of critical hits. However, what about special attacks doing such without being spells?

A) For example, a high-level rogue with the crippling strike special ability inflicts 2 points of Strength damage in addition to sneak attack damage. If the attack is also a successful critical hit, does it double the Strength damage?

B) Likewise, Disemboweling Strike is an Ambush feat that exchanges some sneak attack damage for 1d4 points of Constitution Damage. If it's a critical hit, does it inflict 2d4 Constitution Damage?

C) If it is the case but the weapon has a higher crit multiplier than x2, is the ability damage also multiplied by x3 or x4?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-03-11 at 06:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #423

RangerGuy

Q202:

A player retrains the only level of Druid in their build. Can they still speak Druidic or do they lose that too?

4. - Top - End - #424

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    Q202:

A player retrains the only level of Druid in their build. Can they still speak Druidic or do they lose that too?
    A 202

First off, you can't "retrain" a class level (unlike feats, class features, skills, etc.). You need the character rebuilding rules.

Second... it's unclear. Languages are considered part of a character's skills, and those are not usually retroactively affected by such changes to a character. However, druidic might be a special case as it is more of a class feature than a mere language. Can depend on the DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 203

In the Dragonlance books is a feat that gives you +1 dmg per size difference
    How would that interact with a crit multiplier? Does that get multiplied or only the pure dmg from the weapon itself?

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Bobur View Post
    Q 203

In the Dragonlance books is a feat that gives you +1 dmg per size difference
    How would that interact with a crit multiplier? Does that get multiplied or only the pure dmg from the weapon itself?
    A 203

Without being familiar with the specific feat, the general rule about criticals is you multiply all additional damage that isn't expressed as dice. So if the feat gives you a +1, +2 etc. bonus, that should be multiplied on a critical, same way Weapon Specialization bonus damage would be.
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2021-03-10 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typos

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 202Second... it's unclear. Languages are considered part of a character's skills, and those are not usually retroactively affected by such changes to a character. However, druidic might be a special case as it is more of a class feature than a mere language. Can depend on the DM.
    Languages can be learned through the Speak Language skill, but in this case the language is granted as a class feature so would not carry over.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

A 201 The rules for weaponlike spells cited apply in the same way to similar non-spell special abilities. For example, when critting on an attack which drains energy, you drain twice as many levels as normal and replenish twice the hp.

a Yes.

b Yes.

c Yes.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

A 201 b contested

"Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit."

Crippling strike would be multiplied but disemboweling strike wouldn't. (Which makes sense since disemboweling strike is a stand in for SA which also isn't multiplied.)

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Q 204

The DMG states that cold iron weapons cost twice as much to make and that magical enhancements cost an extra 2000gp. The MIC, on the table on page 27, reverses those: magical enhancements cost double, and the material itself costs an extra 2000gp. Which is correct? -- or are both wrong?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

A 204

MIC says "see Special Materials, DMG 283, for more details." so it's acknowledging DMG as primary source. The error is on a table so text would take precedence anyway.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Colossus in the Playground

It's worth noting that the cost of the masterwork component is not covered by "costs twice as much to make".

The market price of longsword is 15 gp, the market price of a masterwork cold iron longsword is 330 gp, not 630 gp as would be the case if the cost of the masterwork component was doubled as well:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItem...dIronLongsword
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #433
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 205
    Can I use a ToB strike (like Lead the Attack for instance) as part of a charge, +2 to attack included?
    Move along. Nothing to see here.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q206 True strike: "Your next single attack roll" - What does that mean when I use a full attack action?
    I would assume the first attack gets the +20 and the rest is resolved normally.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Colossus in the Playground

A 205: Not normally (a charge is a special attack, like bull rush or sunder, and those are specifically disallowed under most circumstances) but, some strikes specifically say "As part of this manuever, you make a charge" - and those work.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 206

That's correct. True strike only applies to the first attack roll you make after casting it (within the limits of its duration), regardless of how many other attack rolls you might make afterward.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 207

"Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are not multiplied when you score a critical hit."

is there a generalization of this for non-critical damage multipliers like spirited charge and leap attack?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 208
    Is there a method to change or add a single spell to a domain?

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Korahir View Post
    Q 208
    208 Clarification

Can you please be more specific about what you mean? Are you talking about a permanent substitution, a way to cast a different spell out of a domain slot, or something else? (I'm not aware of a way to make a permanent substitution except by asking the GM nicely, but there might be a way to accomplish something else if we know what you're after in particular.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

20. - Top - End - #440
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    208 Clarification

Can you please be more specific about what you mean? Are you talking about a permanent substitution, a way to cast a different spell out of a domain slot, or something else? (I'm not aware of a way to make a permanent substitution except by asking the GM nicely, but there might be a way to accomplish something else if we know what you're after in particular.)
    Permanent Substitution is what I'd look for.
    I'd need to be able to cast Battering Ram, Bigby's Striking Fist or a similar bull rush spell of low level as a divine crusader.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Korahir View Post
    Q 208
    Customize Domain, Dragon #325.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

A 208 If you need a domain with a spell which allows bull rushing as a divine crusader:
    blast of force (force 3)

and though I know you said low level, for completeness's sake:
    obedient avalanche (cold 9)
    mastery of the sky (sky 8)
    bigby's clenched fist (strength 8)
    bigby's grasping hand (strength 7, tyranny 7)
    bigby's crushing hand (strength 9, force 9)

While it's not strict RAW and I couldn't find any spells that fit these parameters, if you could locate an abj, div, or necro "bull rush spell" on the sor/wiz list, you might ask your gm to create a custom domain a la divine magician, since spells inside these bounds are rules to be equivalent in power to a clerical domain.

What is it exactly you're trying to do? As Zaq said, I know of no way to accomplish what you've described specifically.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

23. - Top - End - #443

BardGuy

Q 209
    What happens when a character under the effects of reduce person or a similar effect puts on a suit of armor made for a creature of his reduced size returns to his original size?
    For example, a reduced human puts on a breastplate sized for a halfling while he is small, and then returns to his original medium size while wearing the armor. What happens to him and the armor?
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

A 209
    I would look to the text of Enlarge Person

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If it fails, it is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing it
    If applying this rule, the creature would be "constrained without harm" by its armor. Whether it can then take its armor off normally, or whether the armor must be destroyed, would be up to the DM in absence of a rule for it.

This is the closest rule I know to what you're asking, if there's something more specific elsewhere please contradict me.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 210
    Can a convert spell to power erudite benefit from anything that takes effect on casting a spell?

For example, would an erudite manifesting web have their save DC increased by the feat Spell Focus (conjuration)? Sorry, I know this is an incredibly awful and badly-written class feature.
    Last edited by ApologyFestival; 2021-03-12 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Change question number

26. - Top - End - #446
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 211

Can a player who is stunned activate a Third Eye Clarity item after the stun condition is in place?

The item has two activation clauses that seem to conflict:

You can activate this crystal to negate any one of the following conditions affecting you: confused, dazed, fascinated, or
    stunned.

You can activate the eye in response to an effect that would impose one of these conditions (for instance, after failing your save against a monk’s Stunning Fist attack but before the stun takes effect).

This ability functions once per day.
    Situation is a enemy caster stunned a player character. The player character has an immediate action available. A couple of turns/actions later in the same round the enemy caster's mooks attack the stunned character. Character wants to use third eye clarity now to get rid of stun so they'd have their AC back, not be denied dex ac, etc. The stun condition says "can’t take actions".

Under RAW - is the second clause specifying exactly how the item gets around being able to take no actions by using the immediate action at the perfect minute before you become stunned?

I'm having a hard time making this ruling. If the item was just printed with the first clause then I'd rule yes, they would get rid of the stun whenever they want. If the item was printed with only the second clause (and obviously listing the conditions in it) then I'd say no - you should have used it as soon as the stun condition was placed and it's too late now that other actions have happened.

Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

A 211
    As the item says, "You can activate the eye in response to an effect that would impose one of these conditions (for instance, after failing your save against a monk’s Stunning Fist attack but before the stun takes effect)."

If the stun has already taken effect that doesn't apply.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Customize Domain, Dragon #325.
    Wow, the Magic benefit is insane.
    Last edited by Elves; 2021-03-13 at 01:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 212

What happens if a Dweomerkeeper casts Miracle as a Supernatural Spell, then uses the Miracle to duplicate a spell that allows SR (say, Fire Storm)?

Is SR allowed against the Fire Storm effect, or not?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 212

What happens if a Dweomerkeeper casts Miracle as a Supernatural Spell, then uses the Miracle to duplicate a spell that allows SR (say, Fire Storm)?

Is SR allowed against the Fire Storm effect, or not?
    No spell resistance is allowed. Dweomerkeeper provides an exception to the spell's normal text.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No spell resistance is allowed. Dweomerkeeper provides an exception to the spell's normal text.
    So that carries over to the spell mimicked/created by the Miracle?

I know if I was casting Fire Storm directly, that would be the case, but wasn't sure if there was an extra step in the middle, such as Miracle.