New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

A 226

You apply bonuses and abilities in the order you choose, usually the most beneficial to you. Unless they have text explicitly saying so, they don't affect any abilities later applied. So you can pick all those feats and have Quicken at +0.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    What the fudge? The question was whether net is "one-handed" or "two-handed"?

Does net require one or two hands to use? The rules seem unclear on this and I thought someone might shed some more light on this, with perhaps having the knowledge of an earlier discussion that I am unaware of.

I can assure you I wasn't trolling or anything. I'm dead serious.
    I'm not having much luck turning up a definite answer, though Complete Warrior has a net & trident style feat... It's not exactly a direct RAW statement that nets are one-handed, but it does seem to imply that they are one-handed since the sole purpose of the feat is to grant additional options to a character using TWF to wield a net in conjunction with another weapon.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Q 228

Quick reference:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, fatigued
    A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, exhausted
    An exhausted character moves at half speed and takes a -6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. After 1 hour of complete rest, an exhausted character becomes fatigued. A fatigued character becomes exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause fatigue.
    The exhausted condition is linked to the fatigued condition (fatigued + fatigued = exhausted; exhausted + rest = fatigued), but it doesn't say that it includes the effects of fatigued.

228 Subquestion 1: Can a character be fatigued and exhausted at the same time (for example, by being subjected to an exhaustion effect and then subsequently being subjected to a fatigue effect)? If not, why not?

228 Subquestion 2: Can an exhausted character run or charge?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

What the fudge? The question was whether net is "one-handed" or "two-handed"?

Does net require one or two hands to use? The rules seem unclear on this and I thought someone might shed some more light on this, with perhaps having the knowledge of an earlier discussion that I am unaware of.

I can assure you I wasn't trolling or anything. I'm dead serious.
    It's not one-handed or two-handed. Those categories only apply to melee weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Q 228

Quick reference:

The exhausted condition is linked to the fatigued condition (fatigued + fatigued = exhausted; exhausted + rest = fatigued), but it doesn't say that it includes the effects of fatigued.

228 Subquestion 1: Can a character be fatigued and exhausted at the same time (for example, by being subjected to an exhaustion effect and then subsequently being subjected to a fatigue effect)? If not, why not?

228 Subquestion 2: Can an exhausted character run or charge?
    1. Being fatigued and exhausted at the same time is the same as being exhausted. It's an escalating condition, similar to fear.
    2. Yes, it's an effect of both conditions.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    1. Being fatigued and exhausted at the same time is the same as being exhausted. It's an escalating condition, similar to fear.
    2. Yes, it's an effect of both conditions.
    Q 228 clarification

This seems to be implied, but I cannot find an actual citation for it in the rules. Can you please elaborate with rules text? My current feeling is that what you described is RAI (and also how I play at a real table) but, in another example of a rules dysfunction, RAW disagrees and never actually makes exhausted mutually exclusive with fatigued, nor does it explicitly roll the effects of fatigued into exhausted.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q229

What is the range of Warlock Invocations such as Cocoon of Refuse (Cityscape)?
    I've hunted through the books but can't find a set range for anything except Eldrich Blast. Even the Handbooks haven't helped Me

7. - Top - End - #487
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJohn View Post
    Q229

What is the range of Warlock Invocations such as Cocoon of Refuse (Cityscape)?
    I've hunted through the books but can't find a set range for anything except Eldrich Blast. Even the Handbooks haven't helped Me
    A229: IMO, since it duplicates the entangle spell (it says "target is entangled" in italics) it uses that spell's range.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-03-21 at 04:38 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    It's not one-handed or two-handed. Those categories only apply to melee weapons.
    Again doesn't answer to my question, so I'll repeat

Q230a how many hands do you need to make the so-called attack with a net? Although net is not a melee weapon, surely you need to know how many hands you need to throw the net? I guess I could assume that unless it specifically says otherwise, like most projectiles do, all ranged weapons require only one hand to use effectively. But am I correct to assume so?

Q230b Likewise, how many hands do you need to control the rope of a net?

Q230c Can you use two-weapon fighting with a net and another weapon by RAW, without needing to take a feat from a certain book other than the one that introduced said weapon?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-03-22 at 12:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q230a how many hands do you need to make the so-called attack with a net? Although net is not a melee weapon, surely you need to know how many hands you need to throw the net? I guess I could assume that unless it specifically says otherwise, like most projectiles do, all ranged weapons require only one hand to use effectively. But am I correct to assume so?

Q230c Can you use two-weapon fighting with a net and another weapon by RAW, without needing to take a feat from a certain book other than the one that introduced said weapon?
    I thought both these answers were helpful

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    In 3.0, all weapons were thrown one-handed. Even weapons that were two-handed in melee, were one-handed at range. And took longer to throw - a full round action instead of a standard action - page 97, 3.0 PHB. Since the Net was Medium rather than Large, it took a standard action instead of a full round action to throw - which makes it the equivalent of a one-handed melee weapon.

3.5, however, removes all the "It is automatically thrown one-handed even if it's a two-handed weapon" text (But keeps "two handed weapons are more time consuming to throw").

However, if you extrapolate forward from 3.0, it's reasonable to conjecture that like in 3.0, nets are the equivalent of "Medium thrown weapons" which is "One-handed thrown weapons".

And to have them take a standard action, instead of a full-round action, to throw
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    I'm not having much luck turning up a definite answer, though Complete Warrior has a net & trident style feat... It's not exactly a direct RAW statement that nets are one-handed, but it does seem to imply that they are one-handed since the sole purpose of the feat is to grant additional options to a character using TWF to wield a net in conjunction with another weapon.
    I'll add that the net and trident feat doesn't use language that implies TWFing with a net is unusual.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2021-03-22 at 04:36 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    I thought both these answers were helpful
    Oh, I must've missed hamishspence's response, as it wasn't replied directly to the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    I'll add that the net and trident feat doesn't use language that implies TWFing with a net is unusual.
    Thanks. I didn't have the time to look it up myself yet.

Although, knowing that people behind different books have made mistakes before in how certain rules are supposed to interact with each other according to earlier books, I'm slightly suspicious of the implication, or lack thereof. But, RAW is RAW, and should be enough for this matter.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-03-22 at 05:59 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    A229: IMO, since it duplicates the entangle spell (it says "target is entangled" in italics) it uses that spell's range.
    A 229 Contention Entangled is not just a spell, but also a condition. It doesn't specify, so there's no reason to think it duplicates the spell rather than just causing the condition.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Halfling in the Playground

Q231 Do Dedicated Wrights allow a character to overcome the limitation on crafting multiple magical items at once, or no?

A character can work on only one item at a time. If a character starts work on a new item, all materials used and XP spent on the under-construction item are wasted.
    Item Creation (Su): A dedicated wright can perform the daily tasks related to item creation on behalf of its master. The master must meet (or emulate) all the prerequisites to create the desired item normally, and pays the gold and XP cost himself. The only cost a dedicated wright can help with is time. The master spends 1 hour initiating the process, channeling spell prerequisites into the dedicated wright, and paying the XP cost to make the item. He may then leave, allowing the wright to carry the process through to completion.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    A 229 Contention Entangled is not just a spell, but also a condition. It doesn't specify, so there's no reason to think it duplicates the spell rather than just causing the condition.
    Actually, there is even reason to think it does not duplicate the spell. If it was the case, the word would be spelled with its real name "entangle", not an adjective. When an invocation reproduces a spell, the vocabulary used is along the lines of "Can use name of spell, like the spell", with the spell always having its real and complete name written (afaik). It is even more evident with the numerous differences between the spell and the invocation (only one target, can get out with a standard action instead of a full-round one, 1 rd/level instead of 1 min/level... Cocoon of refuse is really the poor man's Entangle).

About the range, there is really no clear-cut range description in Cityscape, nor a default range for invocations. It is then up to you and your DM to decide that. (I would recommend long range, 400+40/lv, since the effect is already that much worse than Entangle, at least let the warlock spam it to prevent someone from escaping after a battle).

A 231
    A character/creature can indeed only work on one item at a time, but a Dedicated Wright is a creature all its own, hence it can work on an item creation while its creator works on another.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2021-03-22 at 03:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494

Goblin

A 230
    Here's a subsection of text from the "Two-Weapon Fighting" section of the Combat chapter (PHB, p. 160):

Ranged Weapons: The same rules apply when you throw or fire a weapon from each hand. Treat a dart or shuriken as a light weapon when used in this manner, and treat a bolas, javelin, net, or sling as a one-handed weapon.
    At least for the purposes of TWF, a net count as a one-handed weapon.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    The word is italicized, so it is referencing a spell.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 232

Does an Iaijutsu Focus skill check have to be made after making your attack roll for the triggering attack? Is there any rule to help adjudicate this?

17. - Top - End - #497

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q 232

Does an Iaijutsu Focus skill check have to be made after making your attack roll for the triggering attack? Is there any rule to help adjudicate this?
    A 232
    Considering there would be no point in making the check if the attack roll is failed, it would naturally be made after the attack roll.

The text says "If you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately after drawing a melee weapon, you can deal extra damage, based on the result of an Iaijutsu Focus check." It quite clearly imply the check applies after with the "you can deal extra damage". (You don't have to, you make the check if you want and if the attack succeeded.)
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #498

Q 233

The Expanded Knowledge class feature (notably of the Recaster prestige class, but from a few others too) adds a spell to the character's class list, with the limitation it has to be one level lower than the highest level of spell she can cast.

If the character takes the epic feat Improved Spell Capacity, and thus gain a 10th-level spell slot, upon gaining an even level of Recaster, can she thus pick a 9th-level spell with Expanded Knowledge?

Q 234
    Without even tackling the Chameleon floating feat shenanigans, if a wizard pick the Extra Spell feat and thus write a spell from his spell list to his spellbook, can he retrain the feat next level with the spell staying unaltered on his spellbook?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 233

The Expanded Knowledge class feature (notably of the Recaster prestige class, but from a few others too) adds a spell to the character's class list, with the limitation it has to be one level lower than the highest level of spell she can cast.

If the character takes the epic feat Improved Spell Capacity, and thus gain a 10th-level spell slot, upon gaining an even level of Recaster, can she thus pick a 9th-level spell with Expanded Knowledge?
    I would personally rule that if taking Improved Spell Capacity multiple times gives you access to 11th level slots, then taking it once should give you access to 9th level expanded knowledge, since they use the same wording. If you take the reading that says you need Improved Heighten Spell in order to count as being able to cast 10th or 11th level spells before you can use Improved Spell Capacity to gain slots above 10th level, then the same restriction would apply to expanded knowledge. Both interpretations are valid.

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 234
    Without even tackling the Chameleon floating feat shenanigans, if a wizard pick the Extra Spell feat and thus write a spell from his spell list to his spellbook, can he retrain the feat next level with the spell staying unaltered on his spellbook?
    Yes, but only if you actually spent the time and materials to scribe it in there for reals. The "free" version you gained through the feat would be gone.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q235

About Control Shape skill.
    Check (Involuntary Change): An afflicted character must make a check at moonrise each night of the full moon to resist
    involuntarily assuming animal form. An injured character must also check for an involuntary change after accumulating enough damage to reduce his hit points by one-quarter and again after each additional one-quarter lost.
    If afflicted lycanthrope takes damage enough to reduce his hit points by three-quarter with one single hit, how many checks does he need to make, one or three?

21. - Top - End - #501
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 236
    About the psionic power psychic chirurgery.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Psychic Chirurgery
    Transfer Knowledge:If desired, you can use this power to directly transfer knowledge of a power you know to another psionic character. You can give a character knowledge of a power of any level that she can manifest[...]
    If a psionic character has some means of manifesting powers of a level higher than their normal maximum power level known, can psychic chirurgery impart knowledge of powers of those higher levels?

As an example: Assume a psion is in a game where the 3.0 feat Heighten Power or the Mind Mage class feature of the same name are available, and has taken one them. The psion is 16th-level, and their normal maximum power level known is 8, but they have a manifester level of 20. Using Heighten Power, they can manifest one of their powers as a 9th-level power.

Since they can evidently manifest 9th-level powers, can psychic chirurgery give the psion knowledge of a 9th-level power?

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Q235

About Control Shape skill.

If afflicted lycanthrope takes damage enough to reduce his hit points by three-quarter with one single hit, how many checks does he need to make, one or three?
    One. You only check once each time a triggering event occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by ApologyFestival View Post
    Q 236
    About the psionic power psychic chirurgery.

If a psionic character has some means of manifesting powers of a level higher than their normal maximum power level known, can psychic chirurgery impart knowledge of powers of those higher levels?

As an example: Assume a psion is in a game where the 3.0 feat Heighten Power or the Mind Mage class feature of the same name are available, and has taken one them. The psion is 16th-level, and their normal maximum power level known is 8, but they have a manifester level of 20. Using Heighten Power, they can manifest one of their powers as a 9th-level power.

Since they can evidently manifest 9th-level powers, can psychic chirurgery give the psion knowledge of a 9th-level power?
    It depends on how you update Heighten Power to 3.5, since 3.0 psionics pretty much universally require revision. In 3.0, it would not have worked.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Q237
    Can you use the truespeak skill with telepathy? what about Ventriloquism spells etc.?
    Basically, can you make a truespeak check without having a physical body or voice?

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Q237
    Can you use the truespeak skill with telepathy? what about Ventriloquism spells etc.?
    Basically, can you make a truespeak check without having a physical body or voice?
    A237
    No, you must speak in a voice as strong as a spellcaster using a verbal component.

25. - Top - End - #505

Q 238

A) I have seen on an Archivist Handbook that some posters were under the impression that, if you pick a prestige class adding a bonus domain while you are an archivist, that you'd gain bonus domain spells. But I seriously doubt it is RAW at all. Looking at the rules for Extra Domains in the Complete Divine, I've always thought that an extra domain for an archivist wouldn't have advantage spellwise (since all domain spells are already accessible), only adding the granted power. Which reading is correct?

B) On the other hand, another Archivist Handbook mention the Holt Warden prestige class, whose Plant Affinity feature is worded differently than an extra domain:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion
    If you do not already have bonus domain spells, you now gain bonus spells from the Plant domain (see the cleric spellcasting feature, PH 32) as if you were a cleric with access to that domain.
    So, does an archivist with a level of Holt Warden would get bonus domain spells in addition to their normal spells?

C) If B is correct, however, could such a character switch those bonus domain spells with a substitute domain spell (assuming access to other domains with other classes/prestige classes)? It is different from a standard domain, and the wording seems to restrict it strictly to Plant Domain spells.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-03-25 at 04:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 239

Not really a RAW question, but not worth it's own thread.

One of the Eberron books has a table of minor magical effects that can be added to magic items, and a flat cost for each. Minor stuff like "Wielders eyes glow, gain +1 to intimidate checks" and things like that.

Can anyone tell me which book and page(s) please?

A 239

Secrets of Xendrik p.157.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 240

Can energy drain or negative levels reduce your RHD?

If no, are there ways to reduce your RHD?

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q 240
    If no, are there ways to reduce your RHD?
    A 240

Petitioners from MotP.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 240 Yes if a negative level becomes permanent (e.g. you fail your save) it will reduce Racial Hit Dice (if you have no other hit dice).

Using this to get rid of unwanted hit dice and then level up in a class instead of hit dice is a standard medium to high-end optimisation technique; however the rules are silent on what happens when you level up in this situation so expect DM variation.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2021-03-26 at 08:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 241

Bit of a weird one, but may come up soon in my game: an intelligent Ioun Stone can use cure moderate wounds on wielder 3/day. Does the stone have to make contact with it's owner to use the power, or is the owner considered to be the "wielder" with the stone orbiting their head?