New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q378.A if I don't have any claw/bite natural attack, can I still manifest Metaphysical Claw to enhance a natural attack of a different type?

Q378.B If I manifest some claws with Claws of the beast, can I manifest metaphysical claw to enhance natural attacks that aren't claws/bite ?

Q378.C is there a power with the same functionality of Metaphysical Claw, but for slam/tail slap/whatever other natural weapon that isn't claw/bite ?
    A378
    As written, you need a claw or bite attack for Metaphysical Claw to function, and when it does, it provides its bonus to any natural weapon you have.

For another version, it appears that Metaphysical Claw and Metaphyaical Weapon are the psionic versions of Magic Fang and Magic Weapon, so I do not think there is a version for the other natural attacks

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    Q377 Manual of the Planes, page 191 - Air Element Creatures template. What is the level adjustment for this template, if any? I cannot see any mention of a level adjustment.
    This was question 367, not 377. The next question asked will be 369.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #813
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q379 Does the Planar Self class feature from Planar Shepherd grant immortality since you become an Outsider?

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

A 369 No. Immortality is not a trait conferred by the outsider type.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 369 No. Immortality is not a trait conferred by the outsider type.
    I believe he meant "no resurrection possible"‚ that's the only thing I can think of
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q370
    How do "1st level only" feats interact with creatures that have racial hit dies?

7. - Top - End - #817

BardGuy

Q371
    The rules for stacking spell effects contains this line:
    Same Effect with Differing Results: The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.
    Does that mean that you can only benefit from a single instance of a spell like Resist Energy? For example, I cast Resist Energy [Cold] and then Resist Energy [Acid]. Does the second casting effectively suppress the first casting, preventing me from benefiting from cold resistance while it is active?
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

A 370 It applies to that character's first class level.

A371 No. You can benefit from resist energy (acid) and resist energy (cold) at the same time if you want to. "Usually" means this is just talking about spells that say something to that effect in the text themselves. If that is missing or outright contradicted from a spell that lets you pick from a menu of abilities such as vine mine or enhance wild shape, ignore this.

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Q370
    How do "1st level only" feats interact with creatures that have racial hit dies?
    Creatures with racial hit dice still gain feats at level 1, 3, 6, and so on; their racial hit dice just count as their first X levels. For a 1st-level only feat, that means you would simply take it in the "1" slot, i.e. for your first racial hit die.

10. - Top - End - #820

A371 No. You can benefit from resist energy (acid) and resist energy (cold) at the same time if you want to. "Usually" means this is just talking about spells that say something to that effect in the text themselves. If that is missing or outright contradicted from a spell that lets you pick from a menu of abilities such as vine mine or enhance wild shape, ignore this.
    A 371 contention
    Please note though, that rule point is heavily debated, and the above response cannot fully be considered RAW.

My response as a GM: yes, you cannot benefit of both resist energy (acid) and resist energy (cold) at the same time. The last spell cast is the one that prevails. You can, however, benefits of those effects simultaneously with two actually different spells.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #821

Q 372

The Minor Shape Change racial trait of a changeling is (Su).

What happens if a changeling is targeted by a spurn the supernatural spell (Tome of Magic)?
    Said spell says: "For the duration of the spell, the target is unable to activate the supernatural ability you have chosen."

If the changeling had already taken another shape before failing a saving throw against the spell, is he/she forced to return to his/her true form?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #822

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    Q371
    The rules for stacking spell effects contains this line:

Does that mean that you can only benefit from a single instance of a spell like Resist Energy? For example, I cast Resist Energy [Cold] and then Resist Energy [Acid]. Does the second casting effectively suppress the first casting, preventing me from benefiting from cold resistance while it is active?
    Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 371 contention
    Please note though, that rule point is heavily debated, and the above response cannot fully be considered RAW.

My response as a GM: yes, you cannot benefit of both resist energy (acid) and resist energy (cold) at the same time. The last spell cast is the one that prevails. You can, however, benefits of those effects simultaneously with two actually different spells.
    A371 further reading
    This is an issue we keep litigating repeatedly over and over; you can peruse those for an overview of what the implications of each interpretation are,we're not going to resolve it here this time either; the cornerstone of this dispute is one of the passages where SRD text differs from the PH 172 by the removal of an example. Segev broadly summarizes the positions here.

13. - Top - End - #823

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    the cornerstone of this dispute is one of the passages where SRD text differs from the PH 172 by the removal of an example.
    Ah, I didn't look it up in the PHB. I checked Rules Compendium, which also drops the example and is thus entirely consistent with the SRD's text while also declaring itself to have precedence over Core when rules differ.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    Rules Compendium (*snip*) declaring itself to have precedence over Core when rules differ.
    Incidentally, whether or not that is valid is also heavily debated.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2021-06-09 at 05:08 PM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 373 - Holy Mount feat

For the purpose of advancing your paladin mount, "you can combine the levels of your paladin class with those of your other divine spellcasting classes."

Does "other divine spellcasting classes" include classes that advance the divine spellcasting of another class, or only those that directly provide divine spellcasting?
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morof Stonehands View Post
    A377
    It’s in the update booklet, LA +4

http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../dnd/20030718a
    Thank you, much appreciated.

Q374 I have two inherited templates that I would like to apply to a monster. The first template requires the monster to be of a specific creature type. After that template is applied, can I apply a second creature template that then changes the monster to a different creature type?
    Last edited by pabelfly; 2021-06-10 at 07:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q 373 - Holy Mount feat

For the purpose of advancing your paladin mount, "you can combine the levels of your paladin class with those of your other divine spellcasting classes."

Does "other divine spellcasting classes" include classes that advance the divine spellcasting of another class, or only those that directly provide divine spellcasting?
    A 373

The text does not specify. You will have to determine this with your GM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Q375: Are there any rules for determining the CR of a skeleton or zombie with more than 20 hit dice?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

A 375

No rules I am aware of - you'll probably have to extrapolate from the existing rules.

I know, for instance, that a Mohrg can create Zombies without the HD cap of the Animate Dead spell, so it's a valid question.

20. - Top - End - #830

Q 376
    Can a ghost voluntarily end its manifestation? If so, what action, if any, does that require?

21. - Top - End - #831

Q 377
    Where can I find the chart for weapon/natural attack damage for sizes above colossal? I know of the pathfinder one, but I can't seem to find the D&D one, I vaguely remember the rule of thumb is "add 4d6 / 4d8 per size depending on where you started out", but for the life of me I don't remember where this chart is, if it exists at all

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

A 377 DMG p 28 Table 2-2

Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #833

thank you (and to everybody that takes time to answer this thread, it's much appreciated by us all, I'm sure)

that table doesn't help me ( :( ), because it's not progressing to numbers higher than 8d6 / 8d8 / 12d8, I remember a table that progressed further, 8d6 -> 12d6 -> 16d6 and so on, but it could have been pathfinder, I'm trying to find the equivalent for 3.5

Tell me if I should open a thread instead

Q 378.a
    if a natural attack only does ability damage, for example "1d4 constitution damage" , is that die increased if the creature size increases? the description is " a natural attack that deals XdY (ability) damage", not a special quality that adds poison to an existing natural attack

Q 378.b
    can Improved natural attack be taken for the above example or other similar situations??

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

You're welcome.

I understand what you want. The table I cited is what exists in 3.5. No chart explicitly detailing colossal+ or larger weapon damage exists in first-party material.

That said, you can simply extrapolate from the table: if your weapon is 8d6 at colossal, add 2d6 for each step up. For 8d8, add 2d8, and for 12d8, add 4d8.

It's possible you saw a chart in the third party "Immortal Handbook" or similar detailing colossal+ or larger damage.

You can make a thread if you want to, but I don't think it will point you to a chart going above these values.

A 378a No. I can't think of any monster with such an attack. Out of curiosity is this in reference to anything specific?

A 378b No. Improved natural attack improves the numerical variable hit point damage from a slam/bite/claw/etc as according to table 2-2 (or extrapolation beyond it depending on your size) but does not improve ability damage associated with that attack.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #835

Q 379

A few spells make use of the caster's main spellcasting stat for some calculations beyond the spell's saving throw DC (for example telekinesis, or wall of water from Sandstorm).

For standard classes, it is rather straightforward: Int for Wizards, Cha for Sorcerers, Wis for Clerics, etc.

However, some other classes (like Archivist), feats (Academic Priest) or even racial traits (Illumian) can end up relying on more than one spellcasting stat, basically by splitting it between three elements: Bonus spells per day, maximum spell level, and Save DC.

(For example, an Archivist uses Int for maximum spell level and Save DC, but Wis for bonus spells. Likewise, a Cleric with Academic Priest will use Int for bonus spells and maximum spell level, but still Wis for Save DC.)

In such special cases, when a spell requires to apply the modifier of the spellcasting stat to something else than the Save DC, which stat should be used?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-06-11 at 02:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #836

A 376

Leaving this here for future googlers/self: I still can't find any rules spelling out that a ghost has the ability to go ethereal again after manifesting, but the text of Quicken Manifestation (LM 29) says that turning ethereal "still" requires a standard action, implying that turning ethereal as a standard action is something you can normally do.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A377 addendum

Q 377
    Where can I find the chart for weapon/natural attack damage for sizes above colossal? I know of the pathfinder one, but I can't seem to find the D&D one, I vaguely remember the rule of thumb is "add 4d6 / 4d8 per size depending on where you started out", but for the life of me I don't remember where this chart is, if it exists at all
    While there does indeed appear to be no chart detailing what you want, p.99/100 of the Draconomicon details what happens when a dragon advances to Colossal+, including increasing it's natural attack dice. This will give you a starting point.

28. - Top - End - #838

Q380
    What's the size penalty on attack rolls for a creature of that reaches Gargantuan or above size thanks to a magical effect such as the spell Enlarge person or the psionic power expansion?

to be clear, the spells/power says "you get a size penalty of 1/2", is that stacking with the size penalty from the actual size? is it "overlapping" with the "size" size penalty ( only the worst one applies ), is it overrriding the "size" size penalty?

Examples for each :
    1)a large creature expands to gargantuan, his penalty due to size is 6, 4 from the table at Big and small and 2 from the augmented expansion power description.

2)a large humanoid expands to gargantuan, his penalty due to size is 4, because that's the bigger of the two size(modifier) penalties he has, 4 from the physical size and 2 from the power

3)a huge humanoid expands to colossal, normally the size penalty for a colossal creature is 8, but the power specifically says that your size penalty due to increased size is 2, therefore your total penalty is 4 (penalty for huge creatures, plus 2)

thanks about the draconomicon!

29. - Top - End - #839
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q381

I am attempting to boost my caster level for Mighty Works of Magic (TM).

The spell 'Mystic Surge' has a duration of one round and reads
    The subject of mystic surge is able to channel a greater amount of magical energy into the next spell it casts before this spell’s duration expires
    Can this spell be used to boost spells that have a casting time longer than a full round action?

Edit: Question number was Swordsaged
    Last edited by YellowJohn; 2021-06-12 at 03:18 AM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A380

The spells assume you begin at Medium (or small), and calculates bonuses from there.
    If you start from a different base point, use the stated bonuses/penalties for Strength and Dexterity, but use the correct modifiers to hit/AC/Hide/Combat maneuvers etc as appropriate to your true size.
    Note that multiple magical effects which increase size don't stack.

Q380
    What's the size penalty on attack rolls for a creature of that reaches Gargantuan or above size thanks to a magical effect such as the spell Enlarge person or the psionic power expansion?

to be clear, the spells/power says "you get a size penalty of 1/2", is that stacking with the size penalty from the actual size? is it "overlapping" with the "size" size penalty ( only the worst one applies ), is it overrriding the "size" size penalty?

Examples for each :
    1)a large creature expands to gargantuan, his penalty due to size is 6, 4 from the table at Big and small and 2 from the augmented expansion power description.

2)a large humanoid expands to gargantuan, his penalty due to size is 4, because that's the bigger of the two size(modifier) penalties he has, 4 from the physical size and 2 from the power

3)a huge humanoid expands to colossal, normally the size penalty for a colossal creature is 8, but the power specifically says that your size penalty due to increased size is 2, therefore your total penalty is 4 (penalty for huge creatures, plus 2)

thanks about the draconomicon!