New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 30

The Sun School's Flash of Sunset maneuver is stated as such (emphasis mine):

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Warrior
    Flash of Sunset: To use this maneuver, you must move adjacent to a foe instantaneously, as with a dimension door spell or the monk's abundant step class feature. If you do so, you can immediately make a single attack at your highest attack bonus against that foe.
    This specification of "a single attack" makes me think this limits the possible combinations with other techniques. (Especially if the instant move is a dimension door, which severely limits actions too).

A) The attack, I guess, can be a trip attack, but can someone with Improved Trip that succeeds in tripping the foe follow up with the free attack granted by the feat?

B) Since Flash of Sunset's attack is part of whatever action (standard, move or even swift) initiating the instant displacement, can the attack be a strike maneuver (which usually requires a standard action of its own)?

C) Can someone with the Snap Kick feat use this additional attack alongside the one granted by Flash of Sunset?

D) If the Flash of Sunset attack downs a foe, can someone with the Cleave feat (that hadn't been used yet this round) hit another adjacent foe?

E) If you're doing the instant move as your standard action (or as a move action, but your standard action is used for something else than attacking), then can you apply the Combat Expertise feat to the attack granted by Flash of Sunset for the dodge bonuses? I'm asking because, technically, you can be considered not actually using the attack action or full-attack action this round...
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-11-27 at 01:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

A 29 Yes. It also affects spell-like abilities that mimic those spells and any supernatural abilities that specify they are necromantic effects.

A 30a Yes, yes.
    A 30b If you have the action required to initiate a maneuver, yes, otherwise, no.
    A 30c Yes.
    A 30d Yes.
    A 30e No.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q31a

If you do the wight thing and dispense with a racial hitdie for a Kaorti (Fiend Folio 108), exchanging the remaining HD into your first class level, what would be the effective end-result for this LA+2 race?

Based on the Monsters and Class Levels section, I'd think you'd lose any BAB, saves, racial skill points, or feats granted by the HD, but retain the natural armor, natural weapon, SLAs, SU abilities, Ex abilities, and skill bonus, making Kaorti essentially read:

Spoiler: Modified Kaorti Statblock
    Show
    Attributes:

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar)
    Base speed: Land 30

Strength: -4
    Intelligence: +4
    Dexterity: +4
    Wisdom: -
    Constitution: -
    Charisma: +6

Level Adjustment: +2

Space: 5 ft.
    Reach: 5 ft.

Automatic languages: Kaorti.
    Bonus languages: Common, Sylvan.

Racial Traits:

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day--alter self, color spray, feather fall, ray of enfeeblement, reduce, spider climb. Caster level 2nd; save DC 14 + spell level.

Vile Transformation (Su): A kaorti can infuse any living creature with otherwordly essence from the Far Realm, permanently transforming the target into a mockery of its previous form. This process takes 8 hours, during which time the kaorti's jaws must be locked onto the victim, who must either be willing or helpless for the duration. After 8 hours, the victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 11). Failure indicates that the victim transforms into a kaorti (if the victim was a humanoid), or into a kaorti thrall. If the victim succeeds at at the save, the kaorti can attempt the transformation again; each additional attempt to transform a victim increases the save DC by +1.

Creatures transformed into kaortis retain any class abilities and modify their ability scores as follows: Str -4, Dex +4, Int +4, Cha +6. They become neutral evil and embrace the racial ethos of the kaortis. They gain all of the other abilities and disadvantages of a standard kaorti. This transformation is the only way the kaorti can propagate their kind.

A victim transformed into a kaorti thrall gains the fiendish creature template, except that instead of gaining the smite good special attack, it gains the ability to cast true strike on itself once per day.

Material Vulnerability (Ex): The Material Plane is painful to an unprotected kaorti. An unprotected kaorti must make a Fortitude save each hour (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or take 1d6 points of subdual damage and become fatigued. The fatigued condition persists until the kaorti recovers all the subdual damage it took from its exposure to the Material Plane. If a kaorti is rendered unconscious through the accumulation of subdual damage (from this ability or from any other source), the Material Plane environs begin to deal normal damage at the same rate (Fort save negates; save DC continues to increase per check as stated above). A kaorti wearing a resin suit, or a kaorti inside a cyst, is protected from the effects of the Material Plane.

Skills: Kaortis have a +8 racial bonus on Heal checks.

Kaortis possess darkvision out to 60 feet.

As an extraplanar outsider, Kaortis require limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life.

Kaortis are proficient with all simple weapons and martial weapons.

Kaortis are proficient with all light armor and shields.

Kaortis breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish).

Does this stat block seem accurate?

Q31b

If a Kaorti is created from a creature on the PMP, would it be considered native?
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-11-27 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q31a

If you do the wight thing and dispense with both racial hitdie for a Kaorti (Fiend Folio 108), what would be the effect end-result for this LA+2 race?
    The end result would be a dead kaorti. If all your hit dice are drained, you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q31b

If a Kaorti is created from a creature on the PMP, would it be considered native?
    No, the transformation changes the creature's native plane.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    The end result would be a dead kaorti. If all your hit dice are drained, you die.
    If you drain 1HD, you can retrain the remaining single HD into a class level. Sorry, I should have specified; I thought that was the standard process referred to as "the wight thing" on this forum. I've edited the question accordingly.
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, you have accurately listed the things you would keep and lose if you kept one hd to replace with a class level.
    Last edited by Venger; 2020-11-27 at 10:37 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

7. - Top - End - #67

Q 32

About coup de grâce...

A) Can you use a strike maneuver as a coup de grâce? I see problems with it since not only a is coup de grâce a full-round action while most strikes are standard action, but also the rules for strikes include this:

"In addition you cannot combine special attacks such as sunder and bull rushes with strikes, even if you have feats that make such special attacks more potent."

Does a coup de grâce count as a "special attack" for strikes?

B) A precedent question answered that Power Attack could be used with a coup de grâce, the to-hit malus becoming irrelevant since a coup de grâce automatically hits. However, can you use Combat Expertise alongside a coup de grâce to likewise get the maximum bonus for the rest of the round?

C) If the answer to B is yes, does the dodge bonus from Combat Expertise already concern any attack of opportunity made by foes against the character performing the coup de grâce?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-11-28 at 03:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 32

About coup de grâce...

A) Can you use a strike maneuver as a coup de grâce?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    B) A precedent question answered that Power Attack could be used with a coup de grâce, the to-hit malus becoming irrelevant since a coup de grâce automatically hits. However, can you use Combat Expertise alongside a coup de grâce to likewise get the maximum bonus for the rest of the round?
    No, it's not an attack or full attack action.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 33
    What traits does a warforged have, if it is allowed to take the Human Heritage feat? Pretend, if you have to, that it's some kind of cyborg: half-human, half-robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Races of Destiny, p. 152
    If you are not a humanoid, your type changes to humanoid and you gain the human subtype[...] and you retain any traits common to all creatures of your original type (such as darkvision).
    So, this warforged is a humanoid with the living construct subtype, who has traits common to all constructs.

Does this warforged have humanoid traits? Construct traits? Living construct traits? Some combination of each of them?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ApologyFestival View Post
    Q 33
    What traits does a warforged have, if it is allowed to take the Human Heritage feat? Pretend, if you have to, that it's some kind of cyborg: half-human, half-robot.

So, this warforged is a humanoid with the living construct subtype, who has traits common to all constructs.

Does this warforged have humanoid traits? Construct traits? Living construct traits? Some combination of each of them?
    A half-human, half-warforged cyborg, by RAW, would have to be a 10th-level renegade mastermaker, since as far as I'm aware, that's the only method in the rules by which you might achieve such a thing. So, assuming that's the case, Human Heritage's type change occurs when you take the feat and can be overridden by later type changes normally, which means the renegade mastermaker would become a living construct with all living construct traits as normal upon reaching level 10, and would count as both human and warforged for prerequisites.

If you're talking about starting as a warforged and somehow gaining the Human Heritage feat, then the feat would have no effect, as you do not meet the prerequisites and therefore cannot gain the benefits.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    A half-human, half-warforged cyborg, by RAW, would have to be a 10th-level renegade mastermaker, since as far as I'm aware, that's the only method in the rules by which you might achieve such a thing. So, assuming that's the case, Human Heritage's type change occurs when you take the feat and can be overridden by later type changes normally, which means the renegade mastermaker would become a living construct with all living construct traits as normal upon reaching level 10, and would count as both human and warforged for prerequisites.

If you're talking about starting as a warforged and somehow gaining the Human Heritage feat, then the feat would have no effect, as you do not meet the prerequisites and therefore cannot gain the benefits.
    There's also the Half-Machine (Dungeon #91 pg106) template for but requires magazine content.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q34: Does Protection from Evil protect against Power Word: Stun as it's an Enchantment: Compulsion effect?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackwindbears View Post
    Q34: Does Protection from Evil protect against Power Word: Stun as it's an Enchantment: Compulsion effect?
    No, it only protects against effects that grant the caster ongoing mental control over the subject. You're not under their control while you're stunned.

14. - Top - End - #74

Q 35

I just noticed an easy-to-forget little rule about the Charge special attack:

"Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge."

The mention "such as" usually mean "including, but not limited to", so...

A) Does one cannot use the Snap Kick feat alongside a charge?

B) Does one cannot use the Cleave feat on another opponent if the charged one is downed?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 36

Can creatures with no Int score have class levels?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

A 35 Both of those things take place after the charge is completed, so you are able to do snap kick and/or cleave at the end of a charge if you meet their respective conditions.

A 36 No. No skills or feats either.
    Last edited by Venger; 2020-11-29 at 06:00 PM.

Iron Chef Medals!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 37 Mithral armor and proficiency.

I remember seeing/hearing a debate on this particular matter in the first years of Core Pathfinder 1e, that in 3.5 you didn't need proficiency in armor's normal category, if you had proficiency in the category where the armor is when made of mithral. That is, in particular, if a character with proficiency in up to medium armor got their hands on mithral full plate, they could use it without proficiency related problems. Is this correct?

FWIW/to compare, in Pathfinder it's spelled clearly that you do need proficiency in the armor's normal category, even if mithral made it lower.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2020-11-30 at 01:42 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

A 37 If you have medium armor proficiency, you can wear a set of mithral full plate without penalty.

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 038

I'm sure there is a 3.5 citation somewhere that racial bonuses stack, but I can't find it despite searching.

[edit] Found the citation: second part of my question below stands.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p.171; bolding mine
    With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus works (see Combining Magical Effects, below).
    Was it later overruled in Rules Compendium or elsewhere?

20. - Top - End - #80

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 038

I'm sure there is a 3.5 citation somewhere that racial bonuses stack, but I can't find it despite searching.

[edit] Found the citation: second part of my question below stands.

Was it later overruled in Rules Compendium or elsewhere?
    A 38

Ask your dungeon master.

I looked up the relevant page in the Rules Compendium: page 21. This page doesn't explicitly overrule the Player's Handbook, but it does indeed omit racial bonuses from its short list of exceptions. The Rules Compendium states that bonuses of the same type don’t stack "except for dodge bonuses and some circumstance bonuses."

The question is what to make of this omission.

Intriguingly, the Dungeon Master's Guide makes the same omission as the Rules Compendium, but with a loophole. This happens on page 21.

Different named bonus types all stack, but usually a named bonus does not stack with another bonus of the same name, except for dodge bonuses and some circumstance bonuses.
    As in the Rules Compendium, racial bonuses are not listed here as an exception to the general rule. However, this sentence does include the intriguing word "usually," which the text of the Rules Compendium lacks.

Moreover, we might also look at the Monster Manual for guidance, since the question of whether we can or cannot stack racial bonuses arises when we add templates to a creature, so that a creature effectively belongs to more than one race. And this is what the Monster Manual tells us (on page 293) to do when we add a template.

Add any skill bonuses given by the template.
    Notice that we are not limited to racial skill bonuses here. The Monster Manual instructs us to add any skill check bonuses, whether they are "racial" or not.

I don't have the time to check to see how consistently or inconsistently the Monster Manual identifies various bonuses as "racial" or not. I am also not going to try to answer the question of whether two racial bonuses from two different races really qualify as belonging to the same type or not. Suffice it to say that there are interpretive challenges here.

Depending on how you weigh the authority of the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual against the authority of the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Rules Compendium, and depending on how strictly we interpret an omission and how much freedom we grant ourselves with the word "usually," I think we can answer question Q 38 in different ways.

So: Ask your dungeon master.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2020-12-01 at 01:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 038
    A 38 Addendum

From my perspective, the organization of the rules is as much a part of RAW as the actual rules text: like, there's an inherent hierarchy built into the rules. In this case, the general rule for bonus-stacking is written in the DMG section called "Bonus Types"; but then it's contradicted by the quote you provided, which is a line in the PHB chapter on Magic, in a section called "Casting Spells," in a subsection called "Special Spell Effects." The inherent organizational hierarchy of the rules should tell us that the general section on "Bonus Types" is authoritative, while the line from the subsection of the rules for casting spells applies only in the context of bonus types granted by spells.

So, by RAW, only racial bonuses granted by spells stack with other racial bonuses, and racial bonuses from non-spell sources do not stack. But, I don't think racial bonuses are a thing that spells grant very often (ever?), so I feel like the line about racial bonuses stacking is essentially impotent.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2020-12-02 at 12:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 39.

A rogue with a wisdom of 10 wants to use a scroll of cure light wounds. Is it the case that he would have to make literally three and possibly four UMD checks to activate it?

Activating a Scroll

1. DC 21 to emulate the divine spellcasting feature of a cleric.
    2. DC 21 to fake having cure light wounds on his fake clerical spellcasting list
    3. DC 26 to fake having a wisdom of 11

and then once activated, since they have a caster level of zero and need a caster level of 1 they would need to make a caster level check.

4. Either 1d20+0 vs DC 2 or 1d20+(UMD-20) vs DC 2
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2020-12-03 at 09:24 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 39

Not quite.

Here's what the Use Magic Device skill has to say about using a scroll:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Use Magic Device
    Use a Scroll

If you are casting a spell from a scroll, you have to decipher it first. Normally, to cast a spell from a scroll, you must have the scroll’s spell on your class spell list. Use Magic Device allows you to use a scroll as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. The DC is equal to 20 + the caster level of the spell you are trying to cast from the scroll. In addition, casting a spell from a scroll requires a minimum score (10 + spell level) in the appropriate ability. If you don’t have a sufficient score in that ability, you must emulate the ability score with a separate Use Magic Device check (see above).
    So the three checks you must make are:
    • Dechipher a written spell (DC 25 + spell level = 26)
    • Emulate an ability score (result is UMD check - 15 = 26 again for a score of 11)
    • Use a scroll (DC 20 + caster level = 21)

Essentially, the UMD check to use the scroll includes faking the required caster level.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2020-12-03 at 01:23 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q 40: Telekinetic thrust says:
    , as long as all are within the power’s range and each is no more than 10 feet away from another one.
    Does this mean each target must be within 10 feet of each other target, or that each target must be within 10 feet of at least one other target.

X - 10 ft - X - 10 ft - X

In other words, can it target all three X's here?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackwindbears View Post
    Q 40: Telekinetic thrust says:

Does this mean each target must be within 10 feet of each other target, or that each target must be within 10 feet of at least one other target.
    It's the latter. The standard wording that would be used in the former case is "No two of which can be more than 10 feet apart," which you can see in other effects like energy missile and haste.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 041

Is there an Electricity subtype in 3.5? Came across a creature entry in a 3rd party book, and a creature had Electricity listed as a subtype. I can't recall ever seeing an official creature with this subtype.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

A 41 No. ten characters

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q42

Unless there's an int requirement listed as a prerequisite, is there anything preventing a 2-int animal that gained a bunch of HD from taking any feat, providing they meet the prerequisites?
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

A 42 No. ten characters

Iron Chef Medals!

30. - Top - End - #90

Q 43

A creature is trapped in an amber sarcophagus (Book of Exalted Deeds spell), which holds it in stasis.

Is that creature was summoned and the summon expires, does it still disappear from the current plane despite being locked in time?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature