New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

A 43 Yes. ten characters
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 44
    Does a dead fighter turned into a zombie retain its weapon and armor proficiencies?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

A 44 No. Zombies lose class levels, so you lose fighter's weapon/armor proficiencies, and change type to undead so you get those proficiencies (all natural weapons, and all simple weapons.)
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

4. - Top - End - #94

Q 45

A character with the Robilar's Gambit feat first uses his move action to cross several opponents' threatened areas, provoking attack of opportunities in doing so and retaliating for each swing.

He ends his movement next to another enemy, and then uses his standard action for an attack (maybe a strike maneuver). If he also uses Snap Kick alongside this attack, both suffer a -2 to hit penalty (as well as any other attack of opportunities made till the next turn).

However, despite Snap Kick saying "You take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls you make this round.", this penalty doesn't concern the attacks of opportunity made before the standard action, because the decision of using the Snap Kick wasn't made yet, I am right?

(Nor the fact that you made attacks without the -2 penalty prevents you from using the Snap Kick afterward, correct?)
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 046

Looking for a feat: is there a feat that adds the evil descriptor to your spells? Specifically, not Corrupt Spell or Violate Spell, which must be applied to a single spell only (chosen when the feat is selected), but a feat that can be applied to any spell?

I thought I remembered such a feat, but I may have been getting confused about how Corrupt Spell or Violate Spell work...

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 046

Looking for a feat: is there a feat that adds the evil descriptor to your spells? Specifically, not Corrupt Spell or Violate Spell, which must be applied to a single spell only (chosen when the feat is selected), but a feat that can be applied to any spell?

I thought I remembered such a feat, but I may have been getting confused about how Corrupt Spell or Violate Spell work...
    Corrupt Spell works just fine for this.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Corrupt Spell works just fine for this.
    Q 046a

Was Corrupt Spell ever errata'd to not only apply to one specific spell?

Quote Originally Posted by BoVD p.47
    Special: A character may take this feat multiple times, choosing a different spell each time.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Q047

Looking for true dragons with Alternate Shape except Bronze, Gold, Silver and Lung. With the name of the source, if possible. 3.0 is allowed.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2020-12-07 at 06:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Q 046

A 46

Not a feat, but the Aligned Spellcaster ACF from Dragon Magazine #357 can allow an evil wizard, sorcerer or hexblade to add the Evil descriptor to all non-Good spells cast.

The Planar Wizard substitution level for 10th level can also do the same thing, this time regardless of the caster's alignment.

Touch of the Blackened Soul is a spell that can also gives the Evil descriptor to other spells of low level.

Q 046a

Was Corrupt Spell ever errata'd to not only apply to one specific spell?
    A 46a

Yes, the Complete Divine version doesn't have the limitation you mentioned from Book of Vile Darkness. It works like any other metamagic feat (+1 level to the spell cast).
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-12-07 at 07:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Q 048 sorry to spam questions

Question about the Sand Shaper Desert Insight class feature. It doesn't seem to have a disclaimer about it only applying to one class.

If you were, say, a Dusklade 7/Divine Crusader 1/Sand Shaper 1 - would the spells from Desert Insight be added to both your Duskblade spells known and Divine Crusader spells that you can memorize?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

A 45 Your understanding of the interaction of these rules is correct.
    A 47 Those are all the first party 3.x dragons with alternate form.
    A 48 Yes.

Iron Chef Medals!

12. - Top - End - #102

Interaction between Arcane fusion and metamagic spells (in particular fell frighten).

Q 49a
    Fell frighten applies to spells that deal damage; can I apply it to arcane fusion (assuming at least one of the two spells I cast through it deals damage)? The CMag errata are somehow confusing...

Q 49b
    Let's suppose I cast, through a fell frighten arcane fusion, magic missile and wings of flurry; does an enemy being damaged by both spells suffer the shacken condition once or twice (thus escalating to frightened)? Note: fell frighten is applied once onto arcane fusion, and not individually onto magic missile and wings of flurry (which would require 2 metamagic discounts to work).
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2020-12-08 at 05:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Q50
    Some spells have an area described as "One N-ft. square/level"

is this "for each caster level, make a square with a side of N feet", or is it "make one square, with a side of N*level feet"

14. - Top - End - #104

A 50

It's one square per caster level, and the squares have sides of N feet. The latter would not be expressed this way in English, but something more along the lines of "5 ft./level square".

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 51
    Also looking for a feat! Or similar! Is there a way to bypass alignment requirements on classes?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Q047

Looking for true dragons with Alternate Shape except Bronze, Gold, Silver and Lung. With the name of the source, if possible. 3.0 is allowed.
    Mercury and steel dragons (Dragons of Faerun) both have the alternate form ability, as do song dragons (Monsters of Faerun); adamantine, arboreal, and beast dragons (Dragon #321); and iron dragons (Dragon #356). Deep dragons (Drow of the Underdark) have change shape rather than alternate form, but of course the two are very similar. Any true dragon can gain the ability, of course, with the feat of the same name in Dragons of Eberron.

Quote Originally Posted by ApologyFestival View Post
    Q 51
    Also looking for a feat! Or similar! Is there a way to bypass alignment requirements on classes?
    You'd have to be more specific. Some classes, yes, other classes, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    Interaction between Arcane fusion and metamagic spells (in particular fell frighten).

Q 49a
    Fell frighten applies to spells that deal damage; can I apply it to arcane fusion (assuming at least one of the two spells I cast through it deals damage)? The CMag errata are somehow confusing...
    Arcane fusion is a personal spell: it only targets you. There's nothing stopping you from applying Fell Frighten to it, but it wouldn't do anything, since what the spell does is allow you to cast two other spells. It would be like using metamagic on Rary's mnemonic enhancer.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2020-12-08 at 05:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 52

Does a maneuver's flat damage bonus (like war leader's charge) ever get doubled? On a crit, a lance charge, etc?

Q 53

Is a maneuver's extra damage of the same type as the basic weapon damage? Can it deal non-lethal damage?

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Arcane fusion is a personal spell: it only targets you. There's nothing stopping you from applying Fell Frighten to it, but it wouldn't do anything, since what the spell does is allow you to cast two other spells. It would be like using metamagic on Rary's mnemonic enhancer.
    Thank you; it makes definitely sense!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Q 52

Does a maneuver's flat damage bonus (like war leader's charge) ever get doubled? On a crit, a lance charge, etc?

Q 53

Is a maneuver's extra damage of the same type as the basic weapon damage? Can it deal non-lethal damage?
    A 52
    It depends.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.
    So if the maneuver deals a static amount of damage, it multiplies. If it adds dice, it doesn't.

A53
    Yes and Yes.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q54
    Some dragons can cast cleric spells as arcane spells. Can such a dragon cast a cleric spell from a wand?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q55
    Wands are limited to Fourth level spells.
    Assuming Sanctum Spell shenanigans won't fly, is there a way to get the spell 'Righteous Might' into a wand?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJohn View Post
    Q55
    Wands are limited to Fourth level spells.
    Assuming Sanctum Spell shenanigans won't fly, is there a way to get the spell 'Righteous Might' into a wand?
    The easiest way would be to use a staff instead of a wand, since they can hold spells up to 9th level. The price is the same. Of course if you specifically need it to be a wand to work with some wand-specific effect, that's not a great solution.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

A 54 Yes. ten characters

Iron Chef Medals!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Q56 If I'm currently in a grapple where I've already succeeded on my initial grab and am now holding on to my opponent, what happens if i get dazed before my next turn? Do I automatically let go? Do I get to roll an opposed grapple check on their turn when they try to break free?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A56 No, you don't automatically let go and yes you do get to roll a grapple check when they try to break free.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2020-12-10 at 07:47 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Q 057

Question about Archivists and wands.

An archivist casts divine spells, drawn primarily from the cleric spell list although he can eventually uncover, learn, and prepare noncleric divine spells spells.

I assume this means an Archivist can use a wand of any Cleric spell without needing UMD. How about other divine spells (Druid etc.)?

Or does it depend on whether the spell is in his prayer book or not, for non-Cleric spells?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q58

If I cast a Heroics spell (Spell Compendium 113), and share it with my familiar, do we both end up with the same bonus feat, or can I select a different feat for each of us?

Q59

Can I stack multiple castings of Heroics on myself to get multiple bonus feats?
    Last edited by YellowJohn; 2020-12-11 at 06:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

A 57

The archivist class spell list must be all divine spells, but this is not directly stated anywhere. Rather, we have to infer it from the following facts:
    • The archivist's Prayerbook feature refers to PH 178 Adding Spells to a Wizard’s Spellbook.
    • Per the archivist's Spellcasting features, the spells in an archivist's prayerbook are "copied divine spells".
    • Per RC 160, "The spell to be copied must be on the copier’s class spell list."

Thus, every spell an archivist can copy must already be on the archivist class spell list, which working backwards, implies that the archivist can use spell trigger items with the without UMD.

Note that the RC rule is required for this interpretation; without the archivist's class spell list is probably either nonexistent, just the cleric spell list (cf. sorcerer), or the sor/wiz spell list.

A 58

It's not super clear, but evidence suggests that you make different decisions for each recipient of a shared spell based on some example text in the Alter Self spell description:
    Quote Originally Posted by PH 197
    You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form (such as humanoid or magical beast).
    Since magical beast is probably not your second top choice example for what type a spellcaster is likely to be, it seems pretty likely that it's intended to reflect the possibility of sharing alter self with your familiar.
    (This is one of those infamous important clarifying examples deleted for the SRD.)

A 59

This is a hotly debated topic, again mostly based on interpreting around an example deleted for the SRD. There two popular interpretations that say, respectively, yes and no. The former interpretation basically invalidates the fighter as a class; the latter interpretation implies that blindness blindness/deafness suppresses blindness/deafness deafness.

If you want to hash it out again, you'd be better off starting a new flame war thread.
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2020-12-11 at 07:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Halfling in the Playground

Q60

Mayra readies a spell and specify the conditions under which she will cast it. Does she need to say which spell is she readying? Does she need to specify the point of origin if she is casting an area spell?
    Last edited by Arparrabiosa; 2020-12-11 at 02:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Arparrabiosa View Post
    Q60

Mayra readies a spell and specify the conditions under which she will cast it. Does she need to say which spell is she readying? Does she need to specify the point of origin if she is casting an area spell?
    To the first part of the question, expect DM variation. Mostly, when readying an action, it's expected to be precise enough, so yes the spell should probably be specified.

To the second part, however: no. A point of origin, or any other target or specificity of a spell is chosen at the very moment the spell is cast, not before, even with a prepared action.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature