New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q61

Many invocations list verbal and somatic components. However, they are SLAs, so I would assume that unless listed, they would be purely mental actions, right? For example, the Warlock's Eldritch Blast and the Dragonfire Adept's Magic Insight (Dragon Magic, 81) both, so far as I can tell, fail to list any spellcasting components.Would they then be purely mental actions?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 61
    All invocations have quite explicitly somatic components (and accordingly ASF), and therefore ain't purely mental actions.

Q 62
    Is half drow enough to qualify for verminfriend/arachnomancer?
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2020-12-14 at 01:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    A61
    Warlock's invocations have quite explicitly somatic components (and accordingly ASF), and therefore ain't purely mental actions.
    W.R.T. A61

• Eldritch Blast isn't an invocation, so it should be purely mental, right?
    • Unless it's printed somewhere else, this is all the info I can find on Magic Insight:

Spoiler: Magic Insight
      Show

Least; 2nd
      You can use detect magic as the spell (PH 219). While the invocation is active, you can end the effect as a full-round action to determine all the properties of a single touched item (as the identify spell, PH 243, but with no components required).

As I said, it doesn't seem to explicitly have verbal or somatic components, as other invocations do. Would it be purely mental then?

Edit: Dragonfire Adepts also have the line that all invocations have somatic components, meaning dragonfire invocations should fall under the Warlock restriction, too.

I've also spotted the line in Warlock as well, and it also explicitly mentions EB. Sad.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-12-12 at 06:59 PM.
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    W.R.T. A61

• Eldritch Blast isn't an invocation, so it should be purely mental, right?

• Unless it's printed somewhere else, this is all the info I can find on Magic Insight:

Spoiler: Magic Insight
      Show

Least; 2nd
      You can use detect magic as the spell (PH 219). While the invocation is active, you can end the effect as a full-round action to determine all the properties of a single touched item (as the identify spell, PH 243, but with no components required).

As I said, it doesn't seem to explicitly have verbal or somatic components, as other invocations do. Would it be purely mental then?

Edit: Dragonfire Adepts also have the line that all invocations have somatic components, meaning dragonfire invocations should fall under the Warlock restriction, too.
    Eldritch blast IS an invocation, according to errata. Beside that, the line claiming that all invocations have somatic components explicitly mentions that also the eldritch blast has somatic components.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 63

Is there any rule covering the case where characters try to move though an obstacle they weren't aware was present, like an invisible forcefield? Or if they try to charge or run through the same?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 63

Is there any rule covering the case where characters try to move though an obstacle they weren't aware was present, like an invisible forcefield? Or if they try to charge or run through the same?
    I dont remember a clear rule in the books, but I would rule it like this: The player takes his move action, begins to move up his speed and runs into the barrier. He can not proceed (usually) but can still move around it as long as he still has some movement for the round left. If it was something like a web, he may get a Ref SV to stop himself from running into it, otherwise apply the rules for web, quicksand or whatever you use.
    For charge or run: Since you cant change your direction in those cases and cant split the movement either, you would just stop short of were you wanted to go.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 64
    Hitting your ally by chance: It comes up every now and then and I think I read something alike, but I cant find the exact rule.
    Is there actually a chance to hit your ally if you
    a) range attack into melee or b) melee attack into a grapple? Or was it only ranged into grapple?
    Or is it just the normal attack modifiers? (-4 for ranged into melee I believe)

Q65
    Can you hold a 2HW in 1 hand? - Not wielding it of course, but to use the other hand?
    For example, you use a reach weapon, but the enemy is in your face, can you hold onto your weapon and just punch him in the face with your fist?
    Last edited by Bobur; 2020-12-14 at 04:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 64 only for ranged attack into grapple.

A65 Yes. I think the rule is in the spellcasting section - it allows the wielder to take their hand off the weapon to cast a spell.

9. - Top - End - #129

Q 66
    Does the church inquisitor's pierce illusion ability activate when the inquisitor is in presence of a creature subject to a invisibility spell? I'm asking since the exact wording of the ability requires that the inquisitor has "visual contact" with the spell - is here line of sight meant? How should I otherwise translate the ability to "see" an invisibility spell?

And since I'm here, UP:
    Q 62

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Q67 Question about Steely Resolve from the Crusader (ToB pg.10) emphasis mine:

When an opponent strikes you, the injury does not immediately affect you. You have a delayed damage pool that allows you to forestall the effects of many injuries. This pool begins at 0 with each encounter. When you are attacked, any hit point damage the blow deals is added to your delayed damage pool
    Would I be correct in assuming that the following damage would not be put in the pool?

• Voluntary damage from magic items, feats or class abilities (example Bands of Blood Rage from MIC, a Frenzied Berserker's frenzy)
    • Falling damage
    • Environmental damage such as fire, a blizzard, dropping into a pool of acid
    • Area of effect damage from a non-targeted attack (fireball counts as an attack for invisibility, but what about a balor's aura?)
    • Damage from traps or spell wards (glyph of blasting, a door that disintegrates those who touch it and you make your save)
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

A 67
    >When an opponent strikes you, the injury does not immediately affect you.
    This part is flavor text.

>When you are attacked
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB glossary
    Attack: Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disa-ble, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll.
    So yes, Steely Resolve only applies to effects that involve an attack roll.

Q 68
    Is precision damage untyped damage?
    (No answer in Rules Compendium)
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Q 62
    Yes.

Q 66
    Does the church inquisitor's pierce illusion ability activate when the inquisitor is in presence of a creature subject to a invisibility spell? I'm asking since the exact wording of the ability requires that the inquisitor has "visual contact" with the spell - is here line of sight meant? How should I otherwise translate the ability to "see" an invisibility spell?

And since I'm here, UP:
    You have to see it. Since it is invisible, this may be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Q67 Question about Steely Resolve from the Crusader (ToB pg.10) emphasis mine:

Would I be correct in assuming that the following damage would not be put in the pool?

• Voluntary damage from magic items, feats or class abilities (example Bands of Blood Rage from MIC, a Frenzied Berserker's frenzy)
    • Falling damage
    • Environmental damage such as fire, a blizzard, dropping into a pool of acid
    • Area of effect damage from a non-targeted attack (fireball counts as an attack for invisibility, but what about a balor's aura?)
    • Damage from traps or spell wards (glyph of blasting, a door that disintegrates those who touch it and you make your save)
    You'd be incorrect. "Attack" here is not limited to attack rolls; it uses the broader definition seen with spells such as invisibility. How do we know this? Because the following paragraph uses a gaze attack as an example.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 68 No, precision damage has the same type as the attack that inflicts it. So, a sneak attack with a bow and arrow inflicts piercing damage, but with a club bludgeoning damage.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A 68 No, precision damage has the same type as the attack that inflicts it. So, a sneak attack with a bow and arrow inflicts piercing damage, but with a club bludgeoning damage.
    Entirely correct; just to expand, it is possible to do precision damage with weaponlike spells (spells requiring an attack roll) like rays, and the sneak attack damage is still the same energy type (fire, cold, etc.) as the spell. The Complete Arcane note the exception of spells that deals energy drain or ability damage, which deal negative energy damage (not extra energy drain or ability damage).
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #135
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Q69 The Half-Dragon template states, "A half-dragon that is Medium or smaller does not have wings." What if the base creature had wings to start with, example Half-Dragon Tressym? Does the creature lose those wings by RAW?
    The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
    DM: What are you looking for?
    Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
    DM: Like what?
    Rogue: Everything.
    DM: There is a lot of stuff.
    Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
    DM: (rolls) Yes.
    Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

16. - Top - End - #136

A 69
    No, the line means a Medium or smaller half-dragon does not gain wings through the template. If already with wings, the character keep them, they just aren't the draconic-looking wings of a half-dragon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #137

Q 70
    A level 10 Planar Wizard can add the alignment descriptor of his choice to his spells, gaining a bonus against creatures of the opposite alignment, and this bonus is doubled if the spell already has the same alignment descriptor.

What if the wizard also uses a separate trick that adds an alignment descriptor to his spells? (Like Consecrate/Purified Spell, Corrupt/Violate Spell, mark of the enlightened soul, touch of the blackened soul, etc.) Is the bonus doubled if the two alignment descriptor matches?

Q 71
    The Heroes of Horror sourcebook introduces a variant rule when casting spells with the evil descriptor (basically, a SAN check: a Will save, which if failed adds depravity taint). If this rule is used, shall the save applies also to spells gaining the evil descriptor through an additional trick? (Aligned Spellcaster, Planar Wizard, Corrupt Spell, Violate Spell, touch of the blackened soul...)
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-12-15 at 05:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #138

Chimera

A 70
    Yes.

A 71
    Yes.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Cont A 67

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You'd be incorrect. "Attack" here is not limited to attack rolls; it uses the broader definition seen with spells such as invisibility. How do we know this? Because the following paragraph uses a gaze attack as an example.
    This is incorrect, the gaze attack is used as an example of something Steely Resolve does not affect:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Special effects tied to an attack, such as energy drain, stun, and so forth, still affect you as normal, and their effects are not delayed by this ability. ...Any other special attack that imposes a condition, such as a medusa?s petrifying gaze, takes immediate effect on you.

What if a gaze attack dealt damage? Since "a creature with a gaze attack can actively attempt to use its gaze as an attack action", it might count as an attack. The text excludes "special effects tied to an attack", but this seems to mean effects other than hit point damage. So steely resolve would probably apply against a gaze attack that dealt damage if it were "used actively as an attack action".

Other special abilities don't have this "as an attack action" clause though. Nothing suggests steely resolve uses a nonstandard definition of attack the way invisibility does.
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-12-15 at 02:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Q 72

A fighter masters both Robilar's Gambit (Player's Handbook II) and Grappling Block (Oriental Adventure).

A) While using Robilar's Gambit, he can choose to make an attack of opportunity at any attacker that miss. However, on the first armed attack that hits, can he choose to use his once-a-round Grappling Block attempt instead?

B) Whatever the case, he cannot make both the Robilar's Gambit-granted AoO and the Grappling Block on the same swing, based on the rule that the same action cannot provoke two attacks of opportunity, right?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Cont A 67

This is incorrect, the gaze attack is used as an example of something Steely Resolve does not affect:

What if a gaze attack dealt damage? Since "a creature with a gaze attack can actively attempt to use its gaze as an attack action", it might count as an attack. The text excludes "special effects tied to an attack", but this seems to mean effects other than hit point damage. So steely resolve would probably apply against a gaze attack that dealt damage if it were "used actively as an attack action".

Other special abilities don't have this "as an attack action" clause though. Nothing suggests steely resolve uses a nonstandard definition of attack the way invisibility does.
    Cont A 67

Right so would that mean that only damage otherwise tied to another creature attacking the crusader is able to be delayed in steely resolve?

No AoE, no burning auras, no falling damage, no self-inflicted stuff?

Trying to pin this down before my next session I'd hate to be playing dishonestly
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 73

Ash Doom disease
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sinister Spire
    Ash doom's supernatural nature allows it to affect corporeal undead and some living creatures that are normally immune to disease (such as some paladins) and ability damage, although such creatures receive a +4 bonus on their saving throws.
    The question is: if it able to affect Undead and living creatures which are immune, then would it be able to affect ordinary corpses (i. e. dead creatures) too?

Q 74

Draconian, Sivak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlance Campaign Setting
    When a male sivak dies, it changes shape, assuming the form of the humanoid being that killed it. This death shape
    lasts for three days, and then the entire body decomposes into black soot. If the sivak's slayer is larger than the sivak or not humanoid, the sivak instead bursts into flame, dealing 2d4 points of fire damage to all creatures within a 10-foot radius (DC 17 Reflex save negates).
    When a female sivak dies, it bursts into flames, dealing 2d4 points of fire damage to all creatures within a 10-foot radius (DC 17 Reflex save negates).
    What would happen if dead male sivak withing the aforementioned three days would be resurrected? Or animated as Undead?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Cont A 67

Right so would that mean that only damage otherwise tied to another creature attacking the crusader is able to be delayed in steely resolve?

Trying to pin this down before my next session I'd hate to be playing dishonestly
    The fact that a gaze attack is used as an example of an effect that doesn't work specifically because it doesn't deal damage proves that it would work if it did deal damage. So, yes, it works on AoEs. You can also see the same definition of "attack" at work in the level 3 zealous surge ability, which lists spells as a type of attack, and in the level 13 mettle ability, which describes Will half and Fortitude partial effects as attacks. If you used the stricter version of the term, it would be a major nerf to the mettle ability, limiting it to just effects that have an attack roll and a save.

It's up to your DM to decide whether it works on self-inflicted or environmental damage, but it would make sense for it to do so.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2020-12-16 at 02:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

A73

By RAW, a dead creature is neither undead nor living, so it would not be affected; a dead creature is an object. RAI, it would certainly be reasonable, but requires a compliant DM.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Cont A 67

Yeah, not unless the effect either involves an attack roll or, like a gaze attack, "counts as an attack action". It would still apply against attacks you make against yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    The fact that a gaze attack is used as an example of an effect that doesn't work specifically because it doesn't deal damage proves that it would work if it did deal damage. So, yes, it works on AoEs.
    It would apply against a gaze attack that dealt damage, but it doesn't follow that it would therefore apply against an AOE spell that isn't classified as an attack.

If steely resolve applied against all damage, it would say so instead of "when you're attacked". There's a RAW game definition of attack. When invisibility creates an alternative definition, it says so explicitly. Crusader doesn't so RAW is to use the glossary definition.
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-12-16 at 12:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

q75

does pa multiplier from leap attack carry over to follow up pounce attack?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

A 75 What are you asking? If you make a leap attack while pouncing, do you get the extra damage? If so, yes.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 75 What are you asking? If you make a leap attack while pouncing, do you get the extra damage? If so, yes.
    im asking if the dmg buff i get from leap attack applies to all attacks i make in a round or just the charge.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A#75: Leap attack talks about a single powerful attack. You charge, you jump and get 1 powerful attack.
    "You can combine a powerful charge and a mighty leap into one devastating attack....."

The charge modifier to attack and AC still applies though.

Q#76: If you want to fight with 2 weapons, can you make the 2nd attack only during a full attack or any time that you can use an attack action?
    I thought it would only work during a full attack, but "you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon" only says per attack. So could I charge and use both weapons for the attack? Or an attack of opportunity if I havent used the extra attack yet?

EDIT:
    AQ#76:
    Never mind. I found the answer under the Full round action rules. There is says that you have to use the Full attack to use it... pretty meh.
    Last edited by Bobur; 2020-12-18 at 12:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

q77
    if you have pounce and charge using power attack and heedless charge from shock trooper do the attacks from pounce benefit from shock trooper?