New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,477 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 673a

Someone deals damage under the effects of the Merciful weapon ability and also Dragonfire Inspiration. Is the added energy damage nonlethal?

Q 673b

If energy damage is converted into nonlethal damage in general (and not like, a spell with Nonlethal Substitution) still of its original energy type?

Q 673c

If Nonlethal Substitution (BoED 44) is applied to Blizzard (Frostburn 89), what type is the damage dealt?

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

A672, disagreement: This will still provoke; you are still standing up from a prone position, and the Prone Attack feat does not include any statement that you do not provoke. The SRD says that free actions rarely provoke attacks of opportunity, but "rarely" is not the same as "never"; the statement is a generalisation, rather than a concrete property of free actions.

The example table of free actions has an explicit column for whether or not a free action provokes an attack of opportunity, and while all of the examples given have the answer of "no", one of them has a specific case where the answer is actually "yes". Being a free action does not prevent an action from provoking.
    Last edited by Gurgeh; 2021-12-13 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Detail

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

A 673 No
    Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    Q 673a

Someone deals damage under the effects of the Merciful weapon ability and also Dragonfire Inspiration. Is the added energy damage nonlethal?

Q 673b

If energy damage is converted into nonlethal damage in general (and not like, a spell with Nonlethal Substitution) still of its original energy type?

Q 673c

If Nonlethal Substitution (BoED 44) is applied to Blizzard (Frostburn 89), what type is the damage dealt?
    (This is question 674)
    A 674a Yes
    A 674b It depends on the text of the specific effect. I know of no way to do this. What specifically are you doing.
    A 674c Nonlethal untyped.
    Last edited by Venger; 2021-12-13 at 09:46 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #1474

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 674b It depends on the text of the specific effect. I know of no way to do this. What specifically are you doing.

Q 674d

Specific elaboration on the Merciful + DFI case: is the added damage "nonlethal fire damage"? Commonsensically, it can easily just still be fire damage but add the resulting damage to nonlethal instead of subtracting it from hp, since those mechanics are pretty orthogonal, of course, but is nonlethal energy damage normally a thing? Blizzard inflicts it, of course, but it could well be an isolated incident of accidentally inventing new mechanics by putting words together in a way that seems reasonable—they've done it before with e.g. Mitigate Suffering—seeing as environmental (cold/heat) dangers infamously deal "nonlethal damage" with no explicit energy type, and Nonlethal Substitution, the one mechanic I can find that explicitly converts energy damage to nonlethal, makes the affected spell "deal nonlethal damage instead of energy damage". It certainly seems like a lot of the system treats nonlethal as a quasi-energy type, exclusive with fire/cold/&c. as a damage type.

I don't expect particularly conclusive resolution to this one (but if there is one, it's probably a trivial one-line citation).

Q 675

A 15 HD incarnate with 18 Con (+4 bonus) has expanded soulmeld capacity +2 as a class feature and the Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat, which adds up to a 3 (HD) + 2 (class feature) + 1 (feat) = 6 essentia capacity limit (for one particular soulmeld), except that the Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat limits the selected soulmeld's essentia capacity to your Con bonus. What's the selected soulmeld's essentia capacity?

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

A674d Yes, it's nonlethal fire damage.

Nonlethal energy damage is very rare. Aside from blizzard and the frostburn weather fx, the only other instance I can think of is the winter mask, which deals "nonlethal cold damage," which, while not being provable re-RAW, I strongly suspect was a mistake.

A 675 Effects are always applied in the most beneficial order to you depending on what is convenient at the time. Simply apply esc (feat) first, capping the essentia at 4. Then apply esc (class feature) after it, nudging you up to 6. Your capacity is 6 (assuming you've actually got enough essentia.)
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

6. - Top - End - #1476

Q 676

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If a wizard has cast spells recently, the drain on her resources reduces her capacity to prepare new spells. When she prepares spells for the coming day, all the spells she has cast within the last 8 hours count against her daily limit.
    The "count against her daily limit" part means, I guess, that the related spell slots must be left emptied.

What if, however, the spell slots have been emptied in the last 8 hours by an action other than strictly "casting" them?

A) For example, if a Spellthief has stolen a few spells from the Wizard's mind?

B) Or, if a Mage of the Arcane Order repay her Spellpool Debt during this timeframe?

Can those spell slots be filled up anew when preparing spells for the day since, technically, those spells weren't "cast"?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-12-14 at 11:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

A 676a No
    A 676b No

If the slots are gone, it doesn't matter whether you cast them or not. If you sac'd them to power ur-priests spell siphon, if you got bonked with someone using energy drain, whatever. They count against the limit.

Iron Chef Medals!