New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

A 77
    Heedless Charge references normal charge modifiers. Per Rules Compendium, the charge attack bonus applies to all pounce attacks, so Shock Trooper would too. It's also clear from this that they do count as charge attacks, so Leap Attack would also apply to them all.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    A 77
    Heedless Charge references normal charge modifiers. Per Rules Compendium, the charge attack bonus applies to all pounce attacks, so Shock Trooper would too. It's also clear from this that they do count as charge attacks, so Leap Attack would also apply to them all.
    any chance you could give me a reference page?

edit "you must charge and make the attack at the end" is the raw text for heedless , does that not mean the heedless stuff only applies to that one specific attack?
    Last edited by bogy; 2020-12-18 at 10:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

RC 101
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pounce When a creature that has this extraordinary special attack charges, it can sti l l ma ke a ful l at tack [...] All its attacks receive the +2 bonus on attack rolls gained from charging.
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-12-18 at 03:22 PM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Q 78

If my base movement is 40', what's my speed in medium armor? (AKA what is the ground speed velocity of a laden nezumi?)
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 78

30'
    tencharacters
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

Q79: How does wildshape/alternate form interact with ability loss (for the physical ability scores)? Alternate form specifies that you gain the physical ability scores of the new form, and I would presume that any ability loss is then applied to these new scores. But what then happens when the alternate form ends? Does the loss go away when you return to your original form (since the loss was applied to a different set of scores that no longer apply to you), or does it stick with you?

Q80: Urban Shape (pretty much just Wild Shape but for humanoids rather than animals) allows you to change into any creature with the humanoid type. I've been looking through some of the books to find interesting things to shift into but I'm having some trouble figuring out how the stats for this work, since a lot of the listed creatures have class levels.

A) Take for example the Dark Talon Tribe (from MMIV page 83). There are a few stat blocks here. The simplest one is the Dark Talon Soldier, which is pretty straightforward. But then there's also a Dark Talon Champion, which has some levels in barbarian (and an ability score increase from having more HD). Would that be a valid form to shift into? If so I assume this would use the stats from the non-raging form (since I cannot rage), is this correct?

B) Say that at 8th level I were to shift into a creature that is listed with 4HD. Since at that point I can shift into forms of up to 8HD, would I then be able to shift into a leveled-up version of this (originally 4HD) form, with a corresponding ability score increase?

Q81: Actions point allow you to emulate having a feat for a single round (provided you meet the requirements for said feat). If one were to use this to emulate having a feat that grants access to extra Wild Shape forms (e.g. Frozen Wild Shape) and then proceeded to shift into such a form in the same round, what would happen the next turn? Would you shift back or would you be able stay in this form?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by MaienM View Post
    Q79: How does wildshape/alternate form interact with ability loss (for the physical ability scores)? Alternate form specifies that you gain the physical ability scores of the new form, and I would presume that any ability loss is then applied to these new scores. But what then happens when the alternate form ends? Does the loss go away when you return to your original form (since the loss was applied to a different set of scores that no longer apply to you), or does it stick with you?
    A79
    No, any ability damage or drain you take carries over between forms.

Q80: Urban Shape (pretty much just Wild Shape but for humanoids rather than animals) allows you to change into any creature with the humanoid type. I've been looking through some of the books to find interesting things to shift into but I'm having some trouble figuring out how the stats for this work, since a lot of the listed creatures have class levels.

A) Take for example the Dark Talon Tribe (from MMIV page 83). There are a few stat blocks here. The simplest one is the Dark Talon Soldier, which is pretty straightforward. But then there's also a Dark Talon Champion, which has some levels in barbarian (and an ability score increase from having more HD). Would that be a valid form to shift into? If so I assume this would use the stats from the non-raging form (since I cannot rage), is this correct?

B) Say that at 8th level I were to shift into a creature that is listed with 4HD. Since at that point I can shift into forms of up to 8HD, would I then be able to shift into a leveled-up version of this (originally 4HD) form, with a corresponding ability score increase?
    A80
    I don't personally feel like this is ever explained very clearly for Wild Shape, Alternate Form or Urban Shape, but here's how I understand it:

You don't actually take the specific NPC's ability scores: you just take the racial adjustments, and nothing else. You keep your original ability-score array, and replace the racial adjustments from your race with the racial adjustments for the race you're shifting into. So, if you shift into a Dark Talon lizardfolk, you remove the physical-score adjustments from your own race, and replace them with the physical ability score adjustments of a lizardfolk, and that's it. So, say you're a 5th-level dwarf druid. You start with a 32-point buy, and give yourself 14-10-14-10-16-14. With racial adjustments (+2 Con, -2 Cha) and the +1 at 4th level going to Wis, your dwarf has Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 12. Then, he takes lizardfolk form, so his abilities become Str 16, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 12.

Q81: Actions point allow you to emulate having a feat for a single round (provided you meet the requirements for said feat). If one were to use this to emulate having a feat that grants access to extra Wild Shape forms (e.g. Frozen Wild Shape) and then proceeded to shift into such a form in the same round, what would happen the next turn? Would you shift back or would you be able stay in this form?
    A81
    I don't think this is very clearly explained either, but the text says, "He gains the benefit until the beginning of his next turn." By my reading, that means he loses the form after 1 round (unless he pays another action point to prolong it). So, after 1 round, he would shift back to his natural form, and that use of Wild Shape is over. Of course, there are some abilities that let you shift multiple times as a single use of Wild Shape (e.g., Warshaper(?)), so if you have one of those abilities, I think you could just shift at the end of the round into a form that doesn't require the feat you're emulating, and then you wouldn't lose your use of Wild Shape.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q82

Could the Spellblade enhancement be used to protect a held sword from being Disintegrated? I know the sword would use the wielder's save if it is currently being attended -- and the wielder can be made to be immune through the enhancement. I'm not certain if that immunity would carry over to the weapon, however.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-12-20 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 83: Readying (strapping on) a shield is a move action. Is drawing a shield a separate move action, or part of the same move action?

Q 83a: Light and heavy shields are both listed in the weapons table and described under Weapons headline. AFAIK, this would mean that light and heavy shields are (also) weapons. How do light and heavy shields interact with Quick Draw?

Q 83b: Can you attack with a shield that is held but not readied (strapped on)?

Q 83c: How much AC (if any) does a shield provide if held but not readied (strapped on)?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2020-12-21 at 04:03 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q 83: Readying (strapping on) a shield is a move action. Is drawing a shield a separate move action, or part of the same move action?
    I mean, if you're keeping it in your backpack, I guess it's separate, because you're digging in your bag for it? I think most people would have it in, like, a holster type of thing, though. Either way, if you have at least +1 BAB, it would be free as part of your move.

Q 83a: Light and heavy shields are both listed in the weapons table and described under Weapons headline. AFAIK, this would mean that light and heavy shields are (also) weapons. How do light and heavy shields interact with Quick Draw?
    It doesn't affect the action needed to ready a shield.

Q 83b: Can you attack with a shield that is held but not readied (strapped on)?
    Nothing stopping you.

Q 83c: How much AC (if any) does a shield provide if held but not readied (strapped on)?
    None.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2020-12-21 at 04:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q84
    Say I have an underground bunker and my self destruct mechanism is just to un shrink item and un extradimensional store a lot of dirt effectively burying every space and room.

What happens when an item is un shrunk in a space too small for it?
    What if a creature occupies that space?

Am wondering if RAW this secondary spell effect just fails because there isnt space for it to succeed.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Q78
    Magic of Incarnum question. Say I'm an Incarnate 2/Fighter 18, and I've taken the "Open Least/Lesser/Greater" chakra feats with my 'level' feats, and used my fighter bonus feats for, well, fighter stuff.

Being an Incarnate 2 gives me 1 chakra bind, but I'm not seeing if the 'Open Chakra' feats allow additional chakra binds. Am I stuck with only 1? If I"m allowed to have more than one due to the feats, where in the book is this specified? Thanks in advance.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Halfling in the Playground

Q79

Does delivering a melee touch spell triggers a ghoul's paralyzing touch?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q84
    Say I have an underground bunker and my self destruct mechanism is just to un shrink item and un extradimensional store a lot of dirt effectively burying every space and room.

What happens when an item is un shrunk in a space too small for it?
    What if a creature occupies that space?

Am wondering if RAW this secondary spell effect just fails because there isnt space for it to succeed.
    A creature occupying an illegal space will automatically be shunted to the closest legal space at the end of its movement, so they should simply be pushed back. No similar rule exists for objects, so it should revert to the DM's adjudication.

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Q78
    Magic of Incarnum question. Say I'm an Incarnate 2/Fighter 18, and I've taken the "Open Least/Lesser/Greater" chakra feats with my 'level' feats, and used my fighter bonus feats for, well, fighter stuff.

Being an Incarnate 2 gives me 1 chakra bind, but I'm not seeing if the 'Open Chakra' feats allow additional chakra binds. Am I stuck with only 1? If I"m allowed to have more than one due to the feats, where in the book is this specified? Thanks in advance.
    This is not specified in the book, and it's always been a contentious topic. Expect table variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arparrabiosa View Post
    Q79

Does delivering a melee touch spell triggers a ghoul's paralyzing touch?
    Only if it's delivered through a claw or bite attack.
    Those hit by a ghoul’s bite or claw attack must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds.
    Usually this will require holding the charge.

15. - Top - End - #165

Q 85

About the Geometer's Draw Spellglyph class feature:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane
    Spellglyph (Su): A spellglyph is an arcane diagram that substitutes for a specific spell's verbal and material components (if any). When a geometer casts a prepared spell in conjunction with a spellglyph scribed for that spell, he can cast the spell as if it were affected by the Silent Spell feat. The spellglyph replaces any material components (other than a focus) normally required by the spell. A geometer chooses at the time of casting whether to use a spellglyph. An expended spellglyph disappears, just like any other material component. Spellglyphs are normally scribed on parchment, much like scrolls. Preparing a spellglyph requires 1 hour and the use of rare inks costing 25 gp per spell level. If the spell normally requires an expensive material component (with a value of more than 1 gp), exotic inks and treatments of equal cost must be used in the preparation of the spellglyph.
    Let's see if I read it right...

A) Nowhere in the ability's description it is clearly specified that a spellglyph has to be written by the Geometer who's going to use it (just that it needs to be scribed for a specific spell). So, can any Geometer (the ability is gained a first level) use a spellglyph scribed by another character?

B) On the other hand, can a wizard with no level in the Geometer prestige class use a spellglyph?

C) If the answer to B) is no, could a Use Magic Device check be of any help?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 86

If Cha loss from Slaad Fever and Wis loss from Chaos Beast's Corporeal Instability bring to 0 at the same round, then to what, exactly, would be the victim turned?

17. - Top - End - #167

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Q 86

If Cha loss from Slaad Fever and Wis loss from Chaos Beast's Corporeal Instability bring to 0 at the same round, then to what, exactly, would be the victim turned?
    A 86
    A chaos beast.

Since slaad fever is a disease, with an effect resolved once per day, it's unlikely that it's going to be resolved mid-combat or immediately post-combat (which is when corporeal instability will be resolved), so the two resolving on exactly the same round is probably not going to happen. But even if it does just happen that both resolve in the same round, you can't logistically resolve both game effects simultaneously, so the details will be determined by the exact order of operations. I don't think there is a prescribed order of operations for things like this, so that will be up to your DM to determine. However, in the specific case, order of operations doesn't matter: the creature will end up as a chaos beast, either way.

If the slaad fever is resolved first, then the creature immediately becomes a slaad. Then, assuming the creature's Wisdom score hasn't increased due to the transformation, corporeal instability is resolved, and the creature becomes a chaos beast.

On the other hand, if corporeal instability resolves first, then the creature transforms into a chaos beast. Assuming this hasn't increased the creature's Charisma score, the slaad fever resolves next. But, since slaad fever only causes humanoids to transform, the afflicted creature (which is now on outsider) will not transform into a slaad, and will remain a chaos beast.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2020-12-27 at 07:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Q 87

The resilient sphere spell has "centered around a creature" on the effect line, and "reflex negates" as a saving throw.

A) Does that mean that an unwilling target who makes the saving throw prevents the sphere from forming, or just that he moved fast enough to not be imprisoned, leaving an empty resilient sphere behind?

B) If a subject has a resilient sphere created around herself use a teleportation power to get out, does the now empty resilient sphere continue to exist?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q88 A

Can things that grant bonuses to knowledge checks also grant bonuses to a bardic knowledge check? For example, ardents with the knowledge mantle can expend their psionic focus to gain a +5 bonus on one Knowledge check; could this be used for a bardic knowledge check in the case of a cross-class bard/ardent?

Q88 B

Can a bardic knowledge check be used to determine the effectiveness of abilities that key off of a knowledge check like Knowledge Devotion or the Urban Savant's Urban Savvy?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 87

The resilient sphere spell has "centered around a creature" on the effect line, and "reflex negates" as a saving throw.

A) Does that mean that an unwilling target who makes the saving throw prevents the sphere from forming, or just that he moved fast enough to not be imprisoned, leaving an empty resilient sphere behind?
    The first one.

B) If a subject has a resilient sphere created around herself use a teleportation power to get out, does the now empty resilient sphere continue to exist?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q88 A

Can things that grant bonuses to knowledge checks also grant bonuses to a bardic knowledge check? For example, ardents with the knowledge mantle can expend their psionic focus to gain a +5 bonus on one Knowledge check; could this be used for a bardic knowledge check in the case of a cross-class bard/ardent?
    No.

Q88 B

Can a bardic knowledge check be used to determine the effectiveness of abilities that key off of a knowledge check like Knowledge Devotion or the Urban Savant's Urban Savvy?
    No.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Q 87

The first one.
    Kind of related...
    Q 89
    There are a number of area spells, such as black sand (Sandstorm page 111) that describe succeeding on a reflex save as evacuating the area:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text
    Creatures can make Reflex saves to avoid being caught in the area upon which the spell is first cast.
    Considering the spell affects a 20 ft radius spread, how is this supposed to play out? Does a medium or small creature in a square adjacent to the point-of-origin intersection get to leap and cartwheel four squares to the side as part of that reflex save?

22. - Top - End - #172

Q88 A
    A 88a extension: As mentioned above, no. Note that a bardic knowledge check is an Intelligence check, so an overall bonus to Intelligence checks (or to any ability check) would benefit a bardic knowledge check too. But not bonuses to Knowledge checks, which are specific skills.

Q 90
    I am wondering how grappling and Reflex saving throws interact.

A) A character who is grappling lose Dexterity (and Dodge) bonuses to AC against those who aren't grappling. Does he receives any penalty to Reflex saves from an external area attack?

B) A character who is pinned is "immobile but not helpless". That would mean a monk would lose his special AC bonus too, but does it also affects Reflex saves somewhat?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-12-28 at 07:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #173

Q91

Can werewolves cast spells in hybrid form or do they need surrogate spellcasting?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lilapop View Post
    Kind of related...
    Q 89
    There are a number of area spells, such as black sand (Sandstorm page 111) that describe succeeding on a reflex save as evacuating the area:

Considering the spell affects a 20 ft radius spread, how is this supposed to play out? Does a medium or small creature in a square adjacent to the point-of-origin intersection get to leap and cartwheel four squares to the side as part of that reflex save?
    Yes.

Q 90
    I am wondering how grappling and Reflex saving throws interact.

A) A character who is grappling lose Dexterity (and Dodge) bonuses to AC against those who aren't grappling. Does he receives any penalty to Reflex saves from an external area attack?
    No.

B) A character who is pinned is "immobile but not helpless". That would mean a monk would lose his special AC bonus too, but does it also affects Reflex saves somewhat?
    No.

Q91

Can werewolves cast spells in hybrid form or do they need surrogate spellcasting?
    Hybrid form does not impose any restrictions on your ability to provide verbal and somatic components.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

A 91

A lycanthrope spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form, or spells with verbal components while in hybrid form.
    Lycanthropes cannot cast spells with verbal components while in hybrid form. (Personal opinion: this is a stupid rule, but it is RAW). Surrogate Spellcasting (if allowed), Silent Spell etc. can get around this.

As a side note, the Lycanthropic Spell feat (Faiths & Pantheons) allows casting in animal form.

26. - Top - End - #176

Lycanthropes cannot cast spells with verbal components while in hybrid form.
    Can you quote the source? I'll probably allow it anyway, but still...

27. - Top - End - #177

Q 92

The general rule is that a spell or effect doesn't end when the caster is killed; it always last until the duration expires.

However, what about mental control powers that are described (notably in the protection from evil spell) to exert ongoing mental control over a subject (mostly charm and domination)?

What happen to the subject of a charm person when the caster is killed?

Or to the victim of a vampire's domination gaze when the vampire is destroyed?

Does the effects stop without the need of dispelling magic?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-12-29 at 03:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 92 No, they don't automatically stop.

In the case of charm person the person under its effect will still regard the (now dead) caster as their friend and act accordingly (grieve, try to bring the back to life etc.) until the spell expires.

Domination is actually simpler - the last active command remains in effect until it becomes irrelevant. So "keep me alive" becomes irrelevant, "protect me" becomes protect the corpse and "kill your friends" remains unchanged.
    If no relevant command is active the victim can act normally.

Note - a badly worded command (e.g. "keep me alive" when the target doesn't know that they are a vampire) can have negative effects (such as a heal when the vampire gets damaged).
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2020-12-29 at 11:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Can you quote the source? I'll probably allow it anyway, but still...
    SRD section on lycanthropes, under Special Attacks.

Also MM1, p.176.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q 93

The spell description for Teleportation Circle suggests that only a rogue could Search for it. However, other non-SRD classes are given the ability to detect magical traps; does that mean they could detect a Teleportation Circle? What about a cleric using Find Traps?
    A student by vocation, a D&Der by avocation (a wizard by evocation).

Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About MitD!