New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Q122.2

Does the Telthor special quality qualify?
    Different name, different effect, I would say no.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 123
    Okay this is going to sound really dumb. But where does it specify that a prone creature can't move at their normal land speed. I found the specific action that specifies you can crawl while prone, but... being able to do something does not prohibit you from doing something else that you can normally do. Like I understand that a DM will probably adjudicate this and state that while prone you can't use your normal movement, but is there any specific rule that lowers or takes away your normal land speed while prone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q#124

When casting a spell as a Full-round-action, when exactly do you chose the target? At the start of the casting or only once it is finished?
    Last edited by Bobur; 2021-01-23 at 04:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 124 You choose the target of a spell at the completion of its casting time.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 125

Does the "materials and costs" of 100 gp per page to inscribe a new spell on a spellbook count as manufactured goods?

Thus, can you use the craft skill (my guess would be Craft[alchemy], since it's mostly special inks) to create them at 1/3 the cost, given you have enough time and a proper Alchemist's lab?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q 126
    If you cast the Shadow Walk spell while on the Plane of Shadow, can you use it to travel to the Material Plane?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Q 127 Are Corruption (and Obeisance, but nobody cares about Obeisance) points in the FC2 supposed to be straight up added, so kicking two puppies (ok, injuring two puppies for no good reason) at three points each is worth six points, the same as a cold-blooded murder?
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2021-01-23 at 06:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q128
    The spell Thunderlance (SC) states:
    "When you cast this spell, you create a deadly lance of force" which you can then wield as a weapon.
    Can you cast (Greater) Magic Weapon on this?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

When multiclassing is there always an XP penalty?
    "Half to Tiamat" - my most famous line from a Halfling Rogue my party hated.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanalei View Post
    Q129
    When multiclassing is there always an XP penalty?
    A129

There is an XP penalty if you multiclass between two or more base classes that are not close enough to each other in level. If your race has a favored class, that class does not count against your character for penalties, so you may multiclass between that favored class and any other class freely. These limits do not apply to prestige classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 130

If I'm caught in the area of a Grease spell (lets assume I made my Reflex save, and aren't prone), do I have the option of not trying to move, which forces a Balance check? If I'm not attempting to move at all, am I considered to be "balancing"?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 131

For a Haunting Presence, does the CR-based restriction apply only to the part of the Poltergeist ability it gets at 10 HD? Or does it also apply to the baseline part of the ability?

Q 132

Does a familiar have the same challenge rating as a normal creature of its type? Or is its challenge rating modified somehow when it becomes a familiar?

Q 133

Can I use the Stitched Flesh Familiar feat to gain an undead version of any basic familiar? Like, say, an octopus? Or does it literally have to be one of the ones listed in the Player's Handbook?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 134

Can monsters chose to deal nonlethal damage with their natural attacks, specifically in a grapple? Does the type of natural weapon (claw, bite, tentacle, slam etc.) make a difference?

If no, is there a feat or similar that allows this?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 134

Can monsters chose to deal nonlethal damage with their natural attacks, specifically in a grapple? Does the type of natural weapon (claw, bite, tentacle, slam etc.) make a difference?

If no, is there a feat or similar that allows this?
    Yes. They take a -4 penalty as normal, unless otherwise stated.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 135

Take these 2 abilities:

Apparent Defense (Ex): The arcane duelist adds her Charisma bonus to her Armor Class, in addition to her Dexterity bonus.
    Unearthly Grace: A gloura gains a bonus to Armor Class that is equal to its Charisma modifier.
    These are two untyped bonuses from different sources, which implies they stack, but is their effect of adding Cha to AC redundant?
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q 135

Take these 2 abilities:

These are two untyped bonuses from different sources, which implies they stack, but is their effect of adding Cha to AC redundant?
    They stack.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 135 Contention - it's open to debate, but Troacctid's response is a good one to go with.

Troacctid's response is the obvious one, neither ability lists a bonus type therefore they are untyped and stack - and most DM's will agree with this which is fine (and I suspect it's the author's intention); however they don't need to list a bonus type because they already have one!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD: Modifiers
    Modifier Types
    Ability Modifier: The bonus or penalty associated with a particular ability score. Ability modifiers apply to die rolls for character actions involving the corresponding abilities.
    The type "Ability Modifier" is literally the first entry in the modifiers section.

So, am I saying 'They are both "[Ability=Charisma] Modifiers" and thus don't stack?' Well it's still debatable so I am not saying that either!

Firstly the type is "Ability" not "Strength", "Dexterity", … or "Charisma" which suggests you cannot stack modifiers from different characteristics to the same result and no one plays that (I think).

Secondly the SRD states "Ability modifiers apply to die rolls for character actions" and Armor Class is not a die roll, which strongly implies that "Ability Modifier" is not a valid modifier type for armor class (which has horrible implications for the Dexterity bonus to AC which is explicitly allowed).

Thirdly, untyped bonuses only stack if they are from different sources, so is the source the special ability (Apparent Defense / Unearthly Grace) or the characteristic ability (Charisma)?

So, it comes down to what the DM and table are happy with. Allowing them to stack is fine, but it is not unreasonable to say no, they don't stack because they are both Charisma.
    The rules are ambiguous on this (English being ambiguous even when you try to be precise).

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 135 continued
    If being rules lawyery, it strikes me that Unearthly Grace grants "a bonus to Armor Class that is equal to its Charisma modifier", in other words it's granting its own bonus that just happens to have the same value as the char's Cha mod. But I'm still interested in what the answer would be if that were not the case (if it just said "Cha to AC").

19. - Top - End - #259

Q 136

Does the fabricate spell allows you to make masterwork items?

I'm asking because the crafting rules for masterwork items are slightly different than for other goods. You have to craft first the basic item (DC variable) and then the masterwork part separately (DC 20).

Can you roll both craft checks with a single casting of fabricate?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 137

Glouras (monster from Underdark) have the same Unearthly Grace SQ as nymphs. Nymphs gain the AC bonus from this ability as a deflection bonus. The gloura statblock also lists it as a deflection bonus, but the text of their SQ doesn't specify it as such. Is it deflection or untyped?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Q 135 continued
    If being rules lawyery, it strikes me that Unearthly Grace grants "a bonus to Armor Class that is equal to its Charisma modifier", in other words it's granting its own bonus that just happens to have the same value as the char's Cha mod. But I'm still interested in what the answer would be if that were not the case (if it just said "Cha to AC").
    You are correct on this point and Khedrac is incorrect. It's not even a little bit ambiguous, for the reason you stated.

As for your hypothetical, there will be some variation depending on the wording, but if we turn it into a non-hypothetical, say, combining a monk's belt with the moon-warded ranger substitution levels, then yes, it would work, as they are both untyped bonuses from different sources.

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 136

Does the fabricate spell allows you to make masterwork items?

I'm asking because the crafting rules for masterwork items are slightly different than for other goods. You have to craft first the basic item (DC variable) and then the masterwork part separately (DC 20).

Can you roll both craft checks with a single casting of fabricate?
    Yes.

Q 137

Glouras (monster from Underdark) have the same Unearthly Grace SQ as nymphs. Nymphs gain the AC bonus from this ability as a deflection bonus. The gloura statblock also lists it as a deflection bonus, but the text of their SQ doesn't specify it as such. Is it deflection or untyped?
    Untyped.

22. - Top - End - #262

BardGuy

Q 138 A
    Type of damage is dealt by a sneak attack or favored enemy attack deal? Is the bonus damage untyped, or does it deal damage typed as appropriate for the weapon used for the attack?

Q 138 B
    The description of weaponlike spells says you can apply sneak attack or favored enemy bonuses to attacks with a weaponlike spell. It also says that a weaponlike spell can deal damage in forms other than regular hit point damage. When used with a weaponlike spell, how does sneak attack interact with a spell that deals ability damage or energy drain?
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

A 138 A

The same type(s) as whatever dealt the sneak attack.

A 138 B

For negative levels or ability damage, a sneak attack deals negative energy damage instead of extra negative levels or ability damage.

Note that for critical hits with weaponlike spells, you do deal extra negative levels/ability damage.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 137 dispute
    Q 137

Underdark is a 3.0 book and monsters from 3.0 "may need some updating by the DM for their conversion to 3.5"
    As such this remains DM's call and, as the same ability seems to now be a Deflection bonus for other monsters that is what my call would be.

Edit: Oops - thank-you Thurbane
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2021-01-28 at 07:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A 137 dispute

Underdark is a 3.0 book and monsters from 3.0 "may need some updating by the DM for their conversion to 3.5"
    As such this remains DM's call and, as the same ability seems to now be a Deflection bonus for other monsters that is what my call would be.
    Correction: Underdark was released in October 2003, and is most definitely a 3.5 book.

26. - Top - End - #266

Q 139

A question about the magic items body slots; how does that work exactly?

The rule stats:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Of course, a character may carry or possess as many items of the same type as he wishes. However, additional items beyond those listed above have no effect.
    So, is this a matter of order in which magic items are put on? Does the first item worn work normally, and any further put on the same slot inactive (for example, putting on a magic hat when you're already wearing a magic headband)?

And if so, if you remove the primary item, does the secondary one still in the slot immediately begins to give its benefit?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 139

A question about the magic items body slots; how does that work exactly?

The rule stats:

So, is this a matter of order in which magic items are put on? Does the first item worn work normally, and any further put on the same slot inactive (for example, putting on a magic hat when you're already wearing a magic headband)?

And if so, if you remove the primary item, does the secondary one still in the slot immediately begins to give its benefit?
    Only the first item donned in each slot will be active. If you doff it, the next one in line will become active.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Barbarian in the Playground

prelude/legalese

when taking a readied action:
    "You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round."
    when charging:
    "[...] you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement (such as a wall), slows movement (such as difficult terrain), or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge."
    when Good Moves Go Bad:
    "Accidentally Ending Movement in an Illegal Space: Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop [...] When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer."
    ...but also:
    " [...] any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action."
    emphasis mine

Ok so. The question(s) regard movement during readied actions during partially resolved charges, and completing previous actions which are no longer valid.

For instance. Suppose an action-readier is charged, and the charge triggers the readied action late in its movement (ie "enemy within 5'"). The readied action (which could include a 5 foot step) could then be used both to attack the charger, and to... well, make it pretty unclear how to proceed exactly. Say the 5-foot step caused the charger's new "closest square" to be blocked/difficult terrain.

Q140.0 In such a case, is there, in fact, a new closest square? If so, closest from where?

Note that all this would have to have "occur[s] just before the action that triggered it". I'm not sure if "the action that triggered it" means the declared action in the strict sense (charge), or the ready trigger (halfway through), also.

Q140.1 You do attempt to complete the charge, right? Just stepping at all doesn't prevent the charge from completing, if the original path/destination is no longer a valid charge?

Q140.2 In the case that you don't or can't, then where does the charger end up? Is the "last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer" a new different legal charge destination (based from where)? A position from the legal part of the partial charge path? Any space legal to occupy? What's "closer" here, exactly?

And a related thought:

Q141.0 Can you deliberately stack an AoO and a readied action trigger? For instance, if I ready an action for "enemy leaves a threatened square", then someone obliges (perhaps due to reach), do the two triggers interfere? What order would they happen in?

Q141.1 What about if the first of the two triggers is successfully used to trip?

this may not be framed the most clearly, sorry
    Last edited by sleepy; 2021-02-01 at 01:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q142 (I think?): Are there any feats to boost eldritch blast by gaining extra blast shapes, etc if you only have access to a plain eldritch blast? I potentially have access to it without taking warlock, and I'd like to see what I can do with it.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-01-31 at 05:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Q141 (I think?): Are there any feats to boost eldritch blast by gaining extra blast shapes, etc if you only have access to a plain eldritch blast? I potentially have access to it without taking warlock, and I'd like to see what I can do with it.
    There aren't any feats that can give you blast shapes or essences if you don't already have lesser invocations or better. However, there are prestige classes (enlightened spirit) and magic items (rod of eldritch power) that can do so.