New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: cool sci-fish names with non-cool meanings

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's fairly clear, I think, that Lovecraft thought he was making up a word and didn't realise that it had a real-life meaning. We know what he's trying to say - that the perception of the subject was bizarre and didn't conform to what we recognise as normal dimensions - so I didn't mean to bring it up out of mockery. It just amused me.
    Speaking of making sense of what Lovecraft meant with "non-Euclidean", using what we know about actual non-Euclidean geometry (as well as general relativity, as it happens), I like the paper that Benjamin Tippett, of the Titanium Physicists podcast, made about it: Possible Bubbles of Spacetime Curvature in the South Pacific. He goes to the text of the story "The Call of Cthulhu" and uses General Relativity as a possible explanation for all the phenomena it describes, going into detail about how everything works. BTW, he's also done similar papers on Superman's powers and how the TARDIS might work.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: cool sci-fish names with non-cool meanings

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Why has no-one mentioned the sci-fish called "babel"?

As for terms that sounds better than they are, some of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos should count as sci-fi and he was very fond of using obscure adjectives that were actually quite tame in meaning:

gibbous - (of the moon) between half-full and full
    rugose - wrinkled
    squeamous - scaly

etc.
    Neil Gaiman has a bit of fun with this in a short story, with a barfly in Innsmouth, England, translating a bit of Lovecraftian prose as "The moon was almost full, and everyone was bloody peculiar frogs," or something of that nature.