New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Wrench-Turners of Barsoom (Game Thread)

The view from Chancellor Vuguc's ornately-furnished office overlooks the city of Helium, which is currently oppressed by a dust storm blowing in from the wildlands. The chancellor sits calmly behind his skeel-wood desk, which is engraved with symbols whose meaning is lost to millenia. He gazes absent-mindedly at the Thark skull that sits at the front left corner of the desk, next to the bone pen resting in its pot of ochre ink.

"Minions," he says gently, "one of the remaining air-promoter stations has been sending a radio signal that its main pump bearing is failing. We need you to go forth and scavenge a main pump bearing from one of the derelict stations, and install it in the still functional station. The bearing is half the size of a man, and may be quite heavy. I do not know because in living memory we have not needed to replace one.

"Here is a map of the station where we believe you can find a bearing, and here is the location of the failing station. You will need to traverse the wildlands. If you are on the ground, you will need to deal with Tharks and other dangerous creatures. One of you can pilot an airship, correct?"

Spoiler: thenewflesh, Kaliff, Lord of the Flies
    Show

Traits:
    12 health
    8 load
    1 clever, 0 noble, 2 tough.
    Items:
    Food tablets (1 week)
    Flask of water (2 days)
    Basic leather harness
    Bonespear
    Horse-skull mask
    Specials:
    Animal companion (wasp swarm)
    Insectile wings

Spoiler: Isocahedron, Damiron
    Show

Traits:
    12 health
    8 load
    2 clever, 1 noble, 0 tough.
    Items:
    Food tablets (1 week)
    Flask of water (2 days)
    Basic leather harness
    Radium Rifle
    Horse-skull mask
    Toolkit for basic repair work
    Specials:
    Airboat (Scout)
    Psion: Truth Sense

Rules: https://rayotus.itch.io/lords-of-mars (free to download)
    Requirements: 3+ posts per week, literate, descriptive, evocative. One roll per post just in case it will come into play.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-11-13 at 09:00 AM.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Wrench-Turners of Barsoom (Game Thread)

"I have an airboat and I can pilot it, sir."

[rollv]2d6[/rollv]
    Last edited by Isocahedron; 2020-11-13 at 12:42 PM. Reason: screwed up the dice-roll format

3. - Top - End - #3

1. you have to make the roll the first time you post, if you edit the post to add a roll it won't work
    2. for this reason I prefer to use orokos or roll in the Dice Thread on these forums, then post a link to the roll
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    Mythistorical bundle

4. - Top - End - #4

"Excellent, do you have any questions?" asks Vuguc.
    Mythistorical bundle

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seven feet tall the lanky, leathery-skinned creature stands, or rather hunches in a room too small for the the likes of it. Its veined, transparent wings seem as though they're desperately trying not to take up most of the space in the room.

A dark, amorphous swarm of wasps quietly hums by its feet.

Khaliff twitches nervously, rubbing his forearms together in a sort of supplication. His voice is a sibilant hiss. "Yess ssir! Happily I will fix the pump happily!"

(2d6)[6][3](9)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Is there anyone at the air-promoter station to whom we should report when we bring them the bearing?"

(2d6)[7]

7. - Top - End - #7

"Ah." Vuguc thoughtfully taps his chin. The slit pupils of his gleaming yellow eyes flare wide for a moment as he studies the young noble air pilot, Damiron.

"You are new at this game. It is a game make no mistake, between those who would live and those who care not for anything but greed and hunger. No, nobody is stationed at the air promoter. It is abandoned in the dead sea bottom, like all the others, surrounded by Tharks and banths and all matter of dangerous creatures. Typically one brings in parts by air boat, moors to the highest accessible part of the station, lowers the parts by rope, descends ... and then one must usually fend off the locals before or during the repair process. For this reason it is good to have several in the party. I can send another with you, if you would like?"
    Mythistorical bundle

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If we have another player showing up, we can grab them. I'd rather not have an NPC along for the ride.

"It is of course your decision, but Khaliff seems quite experienced. I daresay we shall manage on our own."

9. - Top - End - #9

Vuguc smiles condescendingly. "As you wish, young sir. The fewer blades the more glory, amirite?

"Any other questions? Kaliff?"
    Mythistorical bundle

10. - Top - End - #10

The creature steps back respectfully, realizing that his friend is being addressed. He has had a long life's experience with being glanced over.

But he nods. "Yess ssir." he says quietly. "We would like another we would yess."

(2d6)[7]

11. - Top - End - #11

"Very good," says Vuguc, "we have a conflict already. It must be resolved in one of the traditional ways: by debate, checkers, armwrestling, or knife throwing. Damiron, your statement has been challenged. Do you agree to Kaliff's proposal, or do you select one of the four traditional arms for resolving the problem?"

debate: each make an Action roll modified by Noble.
    checkers: each make an Action roll modified by Clever.
    armwrestling: each make an Action roll modified by Tough.
    knifethrowing: each make an Action roll modified by Tough.

High roll wins.

Winning when at a disadvantage enhances one's honor.
    Mythistorical bundle

12. - Top - End - #12

Kaliff's bug-eyes grow even more bug-eyed as he nervously watches Damiron.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    (2d6)[6]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"I shall accept a contest of arm-wrestling."

(2d6)[6]

14. - Top - End - #14

Kneeling by the Chancellor's desk, the two heroes come to grips and struggle briefly. Kaliff's exoskeletal musculature proves superior; Damiron's knuckles crush into the polished surface of the desk.

"Then I will appoint two assistants for you," says Vuguc. "Lenya and Ikumo. You will find them pleasant and professional. Meet them at the air boat docks this afternoon. Remember the map!"

Do you do anything interesting before the meeting at the air boat docks?
    Mythistorical bundle

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Can't think of anything I would do.

16. - Top - End - #16

Nope, we're ready to meet the assistants.

17. - Top - End - #17

You arrive at the air boat docks, a web of suspended walkways and platforms high in the towers of Helium, as the smaller moon passes near the dim sun in the pale and cloudless grey-blue sky. The air is as cold as usual.

Lenya and Ikumo wait near Damiron's scout boat, talking intensely. Their long dark braided pigtails brush their bare brown shoulders as their heads bob emphatically. Pistol, rapier, short sword, and dagger swing from their zitadar-leather equipment harnesses. The two women are fully equipped for noble combat. It is possible, Damiron realizes, that they come from higher in the towers than does his own family. They may even be better looking than he. Yet he is expected to command.

What do you do?
    Mythistorical bundle

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Damiron feigns a confidence he does not feel, assuming the posture and voice of someone with no doubt in their abilities or authority. "Ah, you must be our the appointed assistants. My airboat should already be prepared to embark. Are you ready to leave?"

[roll 2d6]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

And I apparently still cannot use syntax properly.
    (2d6)[12]

20. - Top - End - #20

The two red women stop talking, turn, and appraise Damiron. They seem to like what they see. One of them smiles coyly and flips a pigtail over her shoulder. The other crosses her arms at her breasts, and angles a hip: "Are you Damiron?" She glances toward Kalif. "Is that the bug?"
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-11-18 at 11:04 AM.
    Mythistorical bundle

21. - Top - End - #21

Khaliff looms large and weird, his swarm hovering overhead. "I am the bug." he rasps. "What you ssee... is what you get..." He laughs. It sounds rather like a cough.

22. - Top - End - #22

The woman who's speaking makes a moue. "Not sure I want it ..." she mutters. She takes a breath. "I'm Lenya. My friend is Ikumo. We're your assistants. We defer to you in all things, et cetera. Don't be knavely. Should we get on the boat now?"
    Mythistorical bundle

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Indeed." Damiron embarks and begins the startup sequence.

(2d6)[10]

24. - Top - End - #24

The airboat throbs and hums as the engines of the eighth ray warm to their task of repulsing gravity and providing forward motion. The vessel tugs urgently at its moorings as Lenya, Ikumo, and Khaliff board.

Khaliff has the map, and unfolds it on the console afore Damiron's pilot wheel. It is clearly marked, in fine calligraphy, with the coordinates of the derelict atmosphere promoter station as well as those of the declining station. The two station are about 550 haad apart, and the derelict is only about 300 haad from Helium - just an hour away on Damiron's swift airboat.

It seems a simple mission.
    Mythistorical bundle

25. - Top - End - #25

The swarm stays low to the ground to avoid being swept off the ship. It tends to cluster around the girls' legs, to their fright, and Khaliff's amusement.

(2d6)[8]
    Last edited by thenewflesh; 2020-11-20 at 01:18 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

The boat hums through the air, producing a wind that tugs fiercely at skin and hair exposed above the sturdy glass shield surrounding the platform at shoulder height. Lenya and Ikumo duck down to sit on facing benches at the sides of the boat, holding very still as Khaliff's swarm buzzes around their calves.

You travel uninterrupted for more than half an hour, leaving Helium behind you. The suburbs drop quickly away, the farms also recede, and the slopes drop away to the pale sparse grasses that spread across the red clay and dust of the dead sea bottom.

Abruptly, something fast and small whistles past the airboat.
    Mythistorical bundle

27. - Top - End - #27

Khaliff strains his bug eyes towards the receding object.

(2d6)[8]

28. - Top - End - #28

Khaliff's compound eyes are good at detecting and tracking motion, not so good at focusing on objects. But he knows the path of the small fast whistling thing: up at a sharp angle from below and ahead of the airboat.

Another zips past, going generally upward.

There is a sharp metallic screeching noise from the back end of the boat.

A fourth object zips past from below and astern.

What do you do?
    Mythistorical bundle

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Damiron immediately begins evasive maneuvers, speeding up and trying to swerve unpredictably. "Can you see what's shooting at us?" he shouts.

30. - Top - End - #30

The engines whimper and thrum at the last notch of the throttle. The airboat surges to greater forward speed.

Peering fearlessly over the windscreen, pigtails whipping in the breeze, Ikumo reports: "There are - were - green men below us. They are chasing us on thoats but they already fall far behind."

It is about a half hour further to the derelict atmosphere promoter.
    Mythistorical bundle