New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1505
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    We don't want to involve real-world politics, but I think Mozambique's neighbors would be reluctant to take on Tom's army of demons with unknown powers. We'll see what Dave's world looks like. Tom being a somewhat law abiding extraterrestrial fiend, he's going to point to Deus inviting him onto Earth as justification for him being there. And I'll bet there are no treaties making it illegal for Galyta to invite alien mercenaries onto Earth.

This is where a superpower needs secret operatives. You need to be able to stop Deus without using your own uniformed troops.
    I don't mean their neighbors, I mean any country.

On a purely theory basis, a country being invaded doesn't need UN approval to ask for defensive assistance.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    This has reached the point where one country can directly ASK another country for assistance.

The UN need to be involved.
    I think you probably lost a "does not" in the last sentence.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I think you probably lost a "does not" in the last sentence.
    I did.

(This text here to satisfy silly 10-character rule.)
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I don't mean their neighbors, I mean any country.

On a purely theory basis, a country being invaded doesn't need UN approval to ask for defensive assistance.
    Concur, but I think this is at the level of "Deus has to be removed from power" aggression, which goes beyond self-defense. The man is quite literally opening the gates to hell and unleashing demons against humanity.

Apropos nothing, "Son of a Puritan" is a pretty amusing oath for Dabbler to hurl at Tom.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Troll in the Playground

Concur, but I think this is at the level of "Deus has to be removed from power" aggression, which goes beyond self-defense. The man is quite literally opening the gates to hell and unleashing demons against humanity.
    Well, the 'demons' are arguably just aliens, but in any case Deus is involving inter-planetary forces in an intra-planetary dispute. This is clearly unacceptable, but, as Tom noted previously, Earth lacks any sort of framework to stop it from happening. Deus is basically trying to race ahead of the law here.

What is harder to understand is Deus' endgame. Why partner with Tom at all? Surely he doesn't need demonic aid to overrun a chunk of Mozambique, and bringing in a huge demon army only introduces a ton of complications. Notably, even if no other nation or supers group intervenes, he's stuck dealing with Tom and Tom's world-conquering ambitions long-term. The only scenario that comes to mind to me is if Deus wants to be appointed 'provincial magistrate: Earth' or whatever the equivalent title is, but that kind of subordination seems out of character for him.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Well, the 'demons' are arguably just aliens, but in any case Deus is involving inter-planetary forces in an intra-planetary dispute. This is clearly unacceptable, but, as Tom noted previously, Earth lacks any sort of framework to stop it from happening. Deus is basically trying to race ahead of the law here.

What is harder to understand is Deus' endgame. Why partner with Tom at all? Surely he doesn't need demonic aid to overrun a chunk of Mozambique, and bringing in a huge demon army only introduces a ton of complications. Notably, even if no other nation or supers group intervenes, he's stuck dealing with Tom and Tom's world-conquering ambitions long-term. The only scenario that comes to mind to me is if Deus wants to be appointed 'provincial magistrate: Earth' or whatever the equivalent title is, but that kind of subordination seems out of character for him.
    The other side to this coin, of course, is that if there arent any laws or regulations governing it, theres not a lot Deus can do if, say, Archon comes in, banishes all his demons, and maybe hauls him back to the US to be tried as a traitor or something due to military participation in another nation's conquest. The only thing they have to abide by is public image here, and "fighting a literal conquering demon army." is a fairly strong position.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It strikes me that Deus' pitch has always been "Let me take over, and I'll make your country better over the long term." Tom's pitch was "Let me conquer your planet, and I'll oversee your transition to a unified, peaceful (subservient) society" or something like it. We didn't actually get to see the slideshow, so we don't have the details.

If Tom is willing to play the long game, and it's possible if he's the immortal space demon he seems to be, allying with Deus might make total sense to him.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    If Tom is willing to play the long game, and it's possible if he's the immortal space demon he seems to be, allying with Deus might make total sense to him.
    Tom's side of the equation makes perfect sense, it's Deus' that's questionable. It's like when Lex Luthor or Vandal Savage allies with Darkside. In those scenarios there's little for Darkside to lose, except time and he's not in a hurry, but there's plenty for Lex/Vandal to lose - up to and including 'everything' - so the bargain only makes sense if they believe either that there's no other choice, or that they can renege later and get away with it. The former pretty clearly doesn't apply here, since while it's arguable that Earth will be forced to accept a subordinate role to some post-FTL society, there's no reason why it needs to be Tom's. As to the latter, it's possible but high risk. I suppose it depends on how much 'fortune favors the bold' one feels is in-character for Deus.

Thinking on it, I suppose the part I feel is lacking is the potential reward. If you're going to ally with an extraterrestrial demon army, think higher than 'secure a transit corridor through Mozambique.' Now, perhaps Deus is - 'Hegemon of Sub-Saharan Africa' is potentially in play here and that's certainly high enough - and this is simply the opening move. I suppose we'll see.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Colossus in the Playground

Being able to provide tom with a legit foothold on earth has to be worth a lot of clout in the negotiation stage of making a contract, so its entirely possible deus has been able to arrange a pretty huge sweetheart deal for himself in some way. Again, immortal (or at least long lived) demon with long term planning, let deus set himself up as grand poobah and high potentate of earth. In another 30 years he will be dead and its toms time to shine. I do agree however that its a bit odd for him to make deals at all considering he isnt exactly fighting china here, and so could handle it himself. Maybe he got himself a free sample package that he fully intends to cancel before the charges start rolling in? Or its like one of those traps where a powerful being offers you wishes, but your third wish costs you everything. The greedy soul eventually makes his third wish and evil cackling ensues. But if you can stop at two, you win. The only other option is he has a much MUCH bigger plan in mind and thinks he can use the demons as mercs and come out on top.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #1270

SamuraiGuy

It's also possible that provoking super-power (in particular, USA) response is part of Deus' plan. Brainstorming:
    • He wants to be rewarded by super powers for his sudden but inevitable betrayal of Tom. Destroy the potential invading army, eliminate a threat to earth - what's that worth to you, USA / China / Europe?
    • Deus thinks that he can take Tom out after using him, perhaps through some sort of Shadow Council like group. A "fantasy flavor" group of supers previously unknown helps Deus betray Tom after Deus conquers a big piece of earth
    • Deus thinks that his supers, plus his demonic horde, plus some nasty sneaky tricks, will let him defeat ArcSwat, making him the most powerful ruler on earth
    • He hopes to provoke a war between super-powers, and survive to pick up the pieces - possibly by leaving Earth for a while and returning post nuclear apocalypse

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    In another 30 years he will be dead
    I still think Deus is Zeus, and even if not, 30 years is pretty darn short for a human life, a lot of people do die that early or earlier, but the average used to be 70, and I suspect it's gone up.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-01-18 at 01:37 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

30 years is pretty darn short for a human life
    True, but Deus isn't exactly a newborn.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

13. - Top - End - #1273

I still think Deus is Zeus, and even if not, 30 years is pretty darn short for a human life, a lot of people do die that early or earlier, but the average used to be 70, and I suspect it's gone up.
    True, I just threw out some numbers to emphasize that tom wouldnt care about a human lifespan before he can take over.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    True, but Deus isn't exactly a newborn.
    He's by the looks of him 30? plus 30 would make 60 which is pretty young to die of old age.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

Regarding age, with the reveal of advanced post-FTL civilizations it is probable that at least some kind of life-extension technology is in play. That's certainly the kind of thing Tom could offer Deus and it would potentially be very tempting (though because Deus can visit The Fracture any time he wants it would have to be that such tech is not available on the commercial market or even the black market at any price).

Beyond that, I could see Deus' actions here as part of a complex play for the position of 'CEO of Earth' or something similar. Tom's declaration in comic 989 that Earth is totally not ready for this new age is entirely correct. If Earth is to survive as an independent entity it needs to unify under some kind of legitimate global administration in an unbelievable hurry. Deus, of course, thinks that when that happens he should be 'Secretary-General for Life' or something similar. Unleashing demonic forces in a war, and especially using them to utterly smear a conventional military all over the place (though once again, Mozambique is, respectfully, not a very impressive target in this regard) is demonstrative that this needs to happen right now and could kickstart the negotiating process.

Alternatively, since Earth's defense is more or less entirely dependent upon Supers at this time - reverse engineered Fel and Alari technologies being probably a decade plus away from deployment - Deus may be trying to force the creation of a pan-national 'Earth Defense League' of Supers with himself as it's manager/financier. Unfortunately, a lot of the ground work necessary for this sort of thing - such as introducing at least a representative from the Super-teams of China, the EU, India, and other major nations - hasn't been established.

16. - Top - End - #1276

SamuraiGuy

Regarding age, with the reveal of advanced post-FTL civilizations it is probable that at least some kind of life-extension technology is in play. That's certainly the kind of thing Tom could offer Deus and it would potentially be very tempting (though because Deus can visit The Fracture any time he wants it would have to be that such tech is not available on the commercial market or even the black market at any price).

Beyond that, I could see Deus' actions here as part of a complex play for the position of 'CEO of Earth' or something similar. Tom's declaration in comic 989 that Earth is totally not ready for this new age is entirely correct. If Earth is to survive as an independent entity it needs to unify under some kind of legitimate global administration in an unbelievable hurry. Deus, of course, thinks that when that happens he should be 'Secretary-General for Life' or something similar. Unleashing demonic forces in a war, and especially using them to utterly smear a conventional military all over the place (though once again, Mozambique is, respectfully, not a very impressive target in this regard) is demonstrative that this needs to happen right now and could kickstart the negotiating process.

Alternatively, since Earth's defense is more or less entirely dependent upon Supers at this time - reverse engineered Fel and Alari technologies being probably a decade plus away from deployment - Deus may be trying to force the creation of a pan-national 'Earth Defense League' of Supers with himself as it's manager/financier. Unfortunately, a lot of the ground work necessary for this sort of thing - such as introducing at least a representative from the Super-teams of China, the EU, India, and other major nations - hasn't been established.
    We learned in Monday's strip that Mozambique (poor, population 30M) had a military team of supers - which Deus wiped out. There were presumably no Maxima level soldiers, but if small poor nations can field a team of supers, we have to assume that the world as a whole has lots and lots of supers. Maxima may be the top of the power rankings (being as she combines super with alien tech), but there must be hundreds or even thousands of supers with a huge variety of powers.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

We learned in Monday's strip that Mozambique (poor, population 30M) had a military team of supers - which Deus wiped out. There were presumably no Maxima level soldiers, but if small poor nations can field a team of supers, we have to assume that the world as a whole has lots and lots of supers. Maxima may be the top of the power rankings (being as she combines super with alien tech), but there must be hundreds or even thousands of supers with a huge variety of powers.
    Or the supers were just citizens turned super, and they decided to stay and defend the country, rather than go freelance.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Or the supers were just citizens turned super, and they decided to stay and defend the country, rather than go freelance.
    Frankly, its a bit of an assumption that theyre all even native to the country. Hiring foreign mercenaries is hardly unknown to small time strongmen dictators in general.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

'Team' is a fairly flexible word. If Mozambique had 3-6 supers (between 1 in 10 million and 1 in 5 million) that would still constitute a 'team,' even though Vale could probably murder them all with minimal effort.

The overall number of supers is highly important to the setting, but unfortunately Dave isn't exactly detail-oriented with regard to this sort of thing, as noted by the fact that he couldn't be bothered to give Mozambique the correct tanks even though it takes two seconds to figure that out and there are perfectly good images of T-55's available everywhere.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

I think Deus might have underestimated the impact on world opinion that having literal demons in his service might cause.

21. - Top - End - #1281

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Frankly, its a bit of an assumption that theyre all even native to the country. Hiring foreign mercenaries is hardly unknown to small time strongmen dictators in general.
    'Team' is a fairly flexible word. If Mozambique had 3-6 supers (between 1 in 10 million and 1 in 5 million) that would still constitute a 'team,' even though Vale could probably murder them all with minimal effort.

The overall number of supers is highly important to the setting, but unfortunately Dave isn't exactly detail-oriented with regard to this sort of thing, as noted by the fact that he couldn't be bothered to give Mozambique the correct tanks even though it takes two seconds to figure that out and there are perfectly good images of T-55's available everywhere.
    It's not the point whether or not these supers were native to Mozambique. The point is that there's enough supers out there that a relatively small, poor nation had a team. Supers are commonplace; we should assume that every nation, and probably every major corporation, has a team. If you're Microsoft, do you try to find supers whose talents lend themselves towards cyber infiltration and get them to use their powers for good? White hat rather than black?

Do you suppose the oil majors need defense for their big installations?

Does Amazon need supers to defend their warehouses against super criminals?

Oscar Wilde said that in heaven, an angel is no one in particular. In GP-verse, a super seems to be a fairly common person.

I think Deus might have underestimated the impact on world opinion that having literal demons in his service might cause.
    I agree. This crosses the line for every nation with a smidgen of decency OR self-protection. Even if you view demons as a form of alien, he's hiring alien mercenaries and turning them loose on Earth.

22. - Top - End - #1282

It's not the point whether or not these supers were native to Mozambique. The point is that there's enough supers out there that a relatively small, poor nation had a team. Supers are commonplace; we should assume that every nation, and probably every major corporation, has a team. If you're Microsoft, do you try to find supers whose talents lend themselves towards cyber infiltration and get them to use their powers for good? White hat rather than black?

Do you suppose the oil majors need defense for their big installations?

Does Amazon need supers to defend their warehouses against super criminals?

Oscar Wilde said that in heaven, an angel is no one in particular. In GP-verse, a super seems to be a fairly common person.

I agree. This crosses the line for every nation with a smidgen of decency OR self-protection. Even if you view demons as a form of alien, he's hiring alien mercenaries and turning them loose on Earth.

When supers are literally 1 in a million, or 1 in 10 million as the case may be, thats still rare even if every nation likely has at least a couple. But yes, we have seen independent groups have supers, from deus himself, to crime bosses. Its probably unlikely amazon has any supers on their staff aside from delivery girl, who got poached by deus and took on the name opal. The oil fields likely have super protection, but thats because they tend to be owned by the government in some form or another anyways.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

When supers are literally 1 in a million, or 1 in 10 million as the case may be, thats still rare even if every nation likely has at least a couple. But yes, we have seen independent groups have supers, from deus himself, to crime bosses. Its probably unlikely amazon has any supers on their staff aside from delivery girl, who got poached by deus and took on the name opal. The oil fields likely have super protection, but thats because they tend to be owned by the government in some form or another anyways.
    I think the point is that super are more common than 1 in a million. Maybe as low as 1 in 100 000. Still not so common that you'll bump into them walking down the street, but not so rare that a government (or Deus) could hire all the supers in the world.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

24. - Top - End - #1284

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I think the point is that super are more common than 1 in a million. Maybe as low as 1 in 100 000. Still not so common that you'll bump into them walking down the street, but not so rare that a government (or Deus) could hire all the supers in the world.
    Maybe it's one in 10,000, but most of them aren't using their powers. We have no real data beyond "A small, poor nation could field a team of supers with military-adjacent skills".

25. - Top - End - #1285

Maybe it's one in 10,000, but most of them aren't using their powers. We have no real data beyond "A small, poor nation could field a team of supers with military-adjacent skills".
    We have no info to work with. For all we know the team was three dudes with the super powers of digesting cellulose, being able to hold his breath for 8 minutes, and keeping his cup of tea warm till he is done drinking it. It really doesnt suggest supers are super common. Heck, for all we know they might not even BE supers, but members of the supernatural community taking the opening to come out in the daylight as I think was mentioned during that whole twilight council arc. Which muddies the waters even more if thats the case. How do we define supers? Does maxima count since she got her powers from a space geode? How about sydney using hyper advanced tech thats bonded to her? Dabbler is an alien/demon/inventor, does she count? At this point I think the answer is, whatever the plot demands. We are left really vague on details. Like half of arcswat isnt technically a super as I also include math who is an example of excessive breeding and training, not mystery powers.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

We have no info to work with. For all we know the team was three dudes with the super powers of digesting cellulose, being able to hold his breath for 8 minutes, and keeping his cup of tea warm till he is done drinking it. It really doesnt suggest supers are super common. Heck, for all we know they might not even BE supers, but members of the supernatural community taking the opening to come out in the daylight as I think was mentioned during that whole twilight council arc. Which muddies the waters even more if thats the case. How do we define supers? Does maxima count since she got her powers from a space geode? How about sydney using hyper advanced tech thats bonded to her? Dabbler is an alien/demon/inventor, does she count? At this point I think the answer is, whatever the plot demands. We are left really vague on details. Like half of arcswat isnt technically a super as I also include math who is an example of excessive breeding and training, not mystery powers.
    Considering they joined the military, I doubt their powers were entirely peaceful. But I see your point.

Anyways, I'd define super as a human with abilities beyond the normal capabilities of ordinary people. So no, Dabbler wouldn't count. Therefore she should be removed from the comic immediately . Math likely does though, even if his abilities aren't technically supernatural.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

27. - Top - End - #1287

SamuraiGuy

And Dave moves just a little further from reality. Sending members of the military to visit a country at war is usually a sign that you're on their side and sending observers. If the United States wants to send a diplomatic message to Deus, they'd use diplomats, which Maxima is not, and which Sydney quite very definitely is not.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Troll in the Playground

And Dave moves just a little further from reality. Sending members of the military to visit a country at war is usually a sign that you're on their side and sending observers. If the United States wants to send a diplomatic message to Deus, they'd use diplomats, which Maxima is not, and which Sydney quite very definitely is not.
    We do not know what will be their mission and on which side of the front to be honest - just that they are going to the warzone. We also do not know the diplomatic agreements that could have been rushed in the meantime and so on.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    We do not know what will be their mission and on which side of the front to be honest - just that they are going to the warzone. We also do not know the diplomatic agreements that could have been rushed in the meantime and so on.
    Max also seemed to indicate that she's going on a personal trip, accepting his invitation to visit as a pretext to get over there and spy on her own (which he almost certainly knows is coming), rather than as any sort of formal military operation.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Troll in the Playground

Uhhh, in a world where super powers and super teams exist sending your team to pay a visit to a local despot isn't exactly sending the same message as it might in ours.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.