New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

Setting up a new thread.

As for content, im thinking if archon came up to me with this idea, I would go for, whatever power they wanted to apply to the job, achilles invulnerability which is nice for me and also ensures I dont wind up dead before they get their moneys worth from me, then after that I would negotiate for some other random super set as a bonus just for funzies. Not sure what I would pick, maybe amorphus? Shape shifting of some level stretchy body and invulnerability? yes please.
    Last edited by Traab; 2020-11-15 at 03:24 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

Hmm.. Achilles has a power, that if anything is even more special than Max's.
    Honestly suspect its not something that can be copied.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Hmm.. Achilles has a power, that if anything is even more special than Max's.
    Honestly suspect its not something that can be copied.
    Im not sure why you would think that. What makes his single ability "You cant hurt me" any more special than anyone elses ability? I dont recall any mention of him being different than anyone else. Is it because it seems to be more total than any other ability that has displayed limits? Because we were thinking that was the case for sydneys shield right up until it tanked an alien super weapon blast and was dropped to the red and partially broken. So far, achilles seems invulnerable to everything, but the very name suggests that he has a weakness somewhere.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So what you need is for all of Archon's supers to form a LLC called ArcCorp that exists for the sole purpose of hiring Hench Wench.
    It would be a problem if her ability only works for villains, but you could probably find someone who'd call a bunch of super-powered law-enforcement types "villains" and mean it, so you somehow persuade them to become the COO of ArcCorp.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Im not sure why you would think that. What makes his single ability "You cant hurt me" any more special than anyone elses ability? I dont recall any mention of him being different than anyone else. Is it because it seems to be more total than any other ability that has displayed limits? Because we were thinking that was the case for sydneys shield right up until it tanked an alien super weapon blast and was dropped to the red and partially broken. So far, achilles seems invulnerable to everything, but the very name suggests that he has a weakness somewhere.
    We have newer been told or shown anything else than that Sydney's shield was exceptionally powerful. Even when testing it Max still said she were holding back.
    And from the power rankings of the Cast page we had a decent idea of just how solid it were.

Achilles meanwhile does have an ability that are more special than anyone elses.
    He got 6 dots of invulnerability on a logarithmic scale of 0 to 5.
    (at least it seems to be logarithmic. Its clearly not liniar)

Also for that matter he isnt a super.
    He got his power from an event. Quote "Achilles doesn’t know exactly how or when he got his powers (thought it would be patently obvious to anyone who was with him at the time)."

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

OK, I'm with HW. That was profoundly gross.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Gross, but the reactions are funny.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I love how everyone's looking various shades of disturbed and Amorph is reacting like he commenting on the taste of some new food stuff.

No, seriously, his face just screams "Interesting, but it could do with a bit more punch.".
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-11-16 at 10:51 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #9

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I love how everyone's looking various shades of disturbed and Amorph is reacting like he commenting on the taste of some new food stuff.

No, seriously, his face just screams "Interesting, but it could do with a bit more punch.".
    Also, it conveys to HW that "You really need to do a lot better than that", which probably tilts her toward "flight" and away from "fight". But if someone else can get the drop on Brut's junk, I don't think it's possible to outrun Maxima.

We have newer been told or shown anything else than that Sydney's shield was exceptionally powerful. Even when testing it Max still said she were holding back.
    And from the power rankings of the Cast page we had a decent idea of just how solid it were.

Achilles meanwhile does have an ability that are more special than anyone elses.
    He got 6 dots of invulnerability on a logarithmic scale of 0 to 5.
    (at least it seems to be logarithmic. Its clearly not liniar)

Also for that matter he isnt a super.
    He got his power from an event. Quote "Achilles doesn’t know exactly how or when he got his powers (thought it would be patently obvious to anyone who was with him at the time)."
    Sydney ... Maxima ... Achilles. I wonder if we'll find out that no one is actually a genetic super; they are all induced by some sort of external actor. Sometimes the person is aware of the external actor, and sometimes not; and sometimes the same actor affects family members, which is why you find related supers. That would be quite the plot twist - that aliens are experimenting on humans as their version of laboratory mice, and applying the more successful upgrades to their own kind.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2020-11-16 at 11:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

To (mis)quote the Jessica Jones show:

"How invulnerable are you?"
    "On a scale of 'I don't know' to 'I don't want to find out'?"

Invulnerability isn't the kind of power you deliberately seek out the limits of, once you get past a certain point, because passing those limits could be catastrophic. Especially if it goes straight from 100% protection to 0% protection, or if the mere act of failing causes damage, and for all they know it could do both of those because there's no way to test safely for that.

Anyway, from the question posed by the author: the best implausible threat I've heard is from Red Vs Blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley
    I will devour their hearts and crap out their souls!
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-11-17 at 03:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sydney ... Maxima ... Achilles. I wonder if we'll find out that no one is actually a genetic super; they are all induced by some sort of external actor. Sometimes the person is aware of the external actor, and sometimes not; and sometimes the same actor affects family members, which is why you find related supers. That would be quite the plot twist - that aliens are experimenting on humans as their version of laboratory mice, and applying the more successful upgrades to their own kind.
    Sydney we know isnt a genetic super. Maxima we know is a genetic super. With Achilles we have no idea because the support cast only get limited attention.

Invulnerability isn't the kind of power you deliberately seek out the limits of, once you get past a certain point, because passing those limits could be catastrophic. Especially if it goes straight from 100% protection to 0% protection, or if the mere act of failing causes damage, and for all they know it could do both of those because there's no way to test safely for that.
    I cant see any reason for why it should go straight from 100 % to 0%.
    Even Sydney's shield, the most likely candidate for that still had warning colors.

And with Achilles we know he has tested the limits of his invulnerability, and found absolutely non.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Even Sydney's shield, the most likely candidate for that still had warning colors.

And with Achilles we know he has tested the limits of his invulnerability, and found absolutely non.
    Sydney's shield is a piece of technology, extremely advanced by all conceivable standards but technology nevertheless. Warnings on imminent failure are expected of complex technology, not so much on what we assume to be (at the moment) naturally occurring powers.

As for why it would go straight from 100% to 0% - Sydney's shield, for one, would do exactly that. If it encounters something it can't block, it will fail, and that will be that. The warning Sydney got was only visible - and thus useful - because the attack she tanked was strong enough to stress the shield, but not strong enough to break it. A weaker attack wouldn't have triggered the warning, and a stronger attack would have collapsed the shield entirely.

We don't know anything about how Achilles' power works, but there's likewise no reason to think his power has any leeway or buffer to dampen excessive force. He hasn't found anything that can hurt him yet, but for all we know the protective effect of his power will just fail when its limit is exceeded. Maybe the limit isn't in magnitude, either. Maybe it's a limit of how much damage (physical, chemical, biological, or otherwise) his body can withstand over some period of time, or maybe even over his lifetime. Maybe it gets weaker with age. There's uncountable variety in possible limits.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2020-11-17 at 07:17 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Sydney's shield is a piece of technology, extremely advanced by all conceivable standards but technology nevertheless. Warnings on imminent failure are expected of complex technology, not so much on what we assume to be (at the moment) naturally occurring powers.

As for why it would go straight from 100% to 0% - Sydney's shield, for one, would do exactly that. If it encounters something it can't block, it will fail, and that will be that. The warning Sydney got was only visible - and thus useful - because the attack she tanked was strong enough to stress the shield, but not strong enough to break it. A weaker attack wouldn't have triggered the warning, and a stronger attack would have collapsed the shield entirely.

We don't know anything about how Achilles' power works, but there's likewise no reason to think his power has any leeway or buffer to dampen excessive force. He hasn't found anything that can hurt him yet, but for all we know the protective effect of his power will just fail when its limit is exceeded. Maybe the limit isn't in magnitude, either. Maybe it's a limit of how much damage (physical, chemical, biological, or otherwise) his body can withstand over some period of time, or maybe even over his lifetime. Maybe it gets weaker with age. There's uncountable variety in possible limits.
    Or more likely, its like maxima and as they ramp up the damage he starts to feel pain THEN takes physical damage. Or really, any super durable hero. Below a certain threshold they dont even register an attack as hitting them. Then they notice but it doesnt hurt, then it starts to sting, then it causes damage, etc. Yes its entirely possible to accidentally jump from feels nothing to obliteration, but only if you are jumping the damage up too far each step. If sydney went from maxima shield punching to planetary obliteration, she would die and never even realize her shield was strained. Its certainly something to test very carefully as you dont want to do that, of course, but that doesnt mean no testing at all. And it doesnt mean that if you punch achilles with 100k newtons of force he is fine, but 101k newtons he explodes into a red mist. The line isnt going to be that thin most likely.

14. - Top - End - #14

SamuraiGuy

Sydney we know isnt a genetic super. Maxima we know is a genetic super. With Achilles we have no idea because the support cast only get limited attention.

Remember the whole bit with Deus and Maxima's geode? She gained her golden skin and her powers when a geode cracked open and poured goop all over her. She has the physique of a super, but we know her powers are not genetic. Which I think raises the question as to whether anyone's powers are genetic. All supers are lab rats?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Or more likely, its like maxima and as they ramp up the damage he starts to feel pain THEN takes physical damage. Or really, any super durable hero. Below a certain threshold they dont even register an attack as hitting them. Then they notice but it doesnt hurt, then it starts to sting, then it causes damage, etc. Yes its entirely possible to accidentally jump from feels nothing to obliteration, but only if you are jumping the damage up too far each step. If sydney went from maxima shield punching to planetary obliteration, she would die and never even realize her shield was strained. Its certainly something to test very carefully as you dont want to do that, of course, but that doesnt mean no testing at all. And it doesnt mean that if you punch achilles with 100k newtons of force he is fine, but 101k newtons he explodes into a red mist. The line isnt going to be that thin most likely.
    If Achilles' powers are tech, usually an engineer will design in graceful degradation when possible. If they are genetic there's lots of things that are brittle in nature - they are fine until they aren't, like an eggshell.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Remember the whole bit with Deus and Maxima's geode? She gained her golden skin and her powers when a geode cracked open and poured goop all over her. She has the physique of a super, but we know her powers are not genetic. Which I think raises the question as to whether anyone's powers are genetic. All supers are lab rats?

If Achilles' powers are tech, usually an engineer will design in graceful degradation when possible. If they are genetic there's lots of things that are brittle in nature - they are fine until they aren't, like an eggshell.
    And yet, again, we see physically durable heroes taking damage and NOT exploding once their durability is surpassed. I think the best way of treating it is like regular humans only scaled up. If I brush your side with my finger tip you might not even notice. if I jab your side with my fingertip you might jolt away or even go ow depending on how hard I do it. if I deliver a jab from a fist you might wince or even bruise. if I deliver a full force haymaker you might lose a rib. Now imagine you can take 1000x as much damage. That means the gap between noticing and wincing is also a thousand times higher, same for the rest. Your body wont fail the instant it gets harder than it can take without a flinch, it requires a LOT more force to go from flinch to pain to injury to death. All because the scale is much larger. That seems to be how physical durability is treated in comics at least. The human body isnt an eggshell.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. You know whats even better at giving warnings of imminent failure? Biological systems. Its called pain :P

And even that scenario is unlike to be a 100% - 0% scenario. As the blast would still expend energy breaking the shield down.
    Its just extremely likely to have enough energy left to ash Sydney.

There isnt a need for a buffer/leeway in his power, because one already exists in the basic laws of physic.
    If you shoot a bullet though a door it will continue with significantly reduced penetrative power. Because it expended some of its energy going though the first barrier.
    And in the case of Achilles and the assumed limits. Then i am going with the simplest explanation so far. That he is invulnerable. Because thats what WoG says.

Yes...
    Thats the bit where Max and Deus discuss how many others had likely handled the geode before her.
    And conclude it likely opened for her because she were a natural super. Something that was literally confirmed by WoG in the author comment.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

From what information we have, Achilles' power is more like a stasis effect that somehow still allows him to function - his body simply does not change at all. This is why he is stuck with an 80's mullet. It might not have been stated directly, but I doubt he actually ages at all. If it is so, then I doubt any amount of physical force would make a dent in him and his power would have to targeted directly. He was stuck in huge piles of rubble which considering his lack of super strength could reasonably suffocate him simply by the sheer pressure. Yet, he was completely unfazed. Whatever his power is, it is much more throughout than a simple protective shield.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    From what information we have, Achilles' power is more like a stasis effect that somehow still allows him to function - his body simply does not change at all. This is why he is stuck with an 80's mullet. It might not have been stated directly, but I doubt he actually ages at all. If it is so, then I doubt any amount of physical force would make a dent in him and his power would have to targeted directly. He was stuck in huge piles of rubble which considering his lack of super strength could reasonably suffocate him simply by the sheer pressure. Yet, he was completely unfazed. Whatever his power is, it is much more throughout than a simple protective shield.
    Yes. Which is, I think, why it is that much more likely to have no "near failure" state. Whatever it is that protects and sustains him, does an *absolute* job. Which is why if something ever does get through, it will get through in full force. And there will be no way to help, because unless the powers go away entirely, they will resist all attempts to affect Achilles, even if it's meant to help. Like that one personal shield device in Stargate Atlantis, that protected its user so well it didn't allow him to eat.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

19. - Top - End - #19

SamuraiGuy

Yes. You know whats even better at giving warnings of imminent failure? Biological systems. Its called pain :P

And even that scenario is unlike to be a 100% - 0% scenario. As the blast would still expend energy breaking the shield down.
    Its just extremely likely to have enough energy left to ash Sydney.

There isnt a need for a buffer/leeway in his power, because one already exists in the basic laws of physic.
    If you shoot a bullet though a door it will continue with significantly reduced penetrative power. Because it expended some of its energy going though the first barrier.
    And in the case of Achilles and the assumed limits. Then i am going with the simplest explanation so far. That he is invulnerable. Because thats what WoG says.

Yes...
    Thats the bit where Max and Deus discuss how many others had likely handled the geode before her.
    And conclude it likely opened for her because she were a natural super. Something that was literally confirmed by WoG in the author comment.
    Ah. Well, then, she's a enhanced super. Which is why she's The Boss.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Which is, I think, why it is that much more likely to have no "near failure" state. Whatever it is that protects and sustains him, does an *absolute* job. Which is why if something ever does get through, it will get through in full force. And there will be no way to help, because unless the powers go away entirely, they will resist all attempts to affect Achilles, even if it's meant to help. Like that one personal shield device in Stargate Atlantis, that protected its user so well it didn't allow him to eat.
    Indeed. If it does not have a failure state, then it dont have a near failure state :D
    Since it does indeed seem like his power is some sort of stasis state, then i dont think any degree of force will overcome his protection.
    If something is to work then it needs to be something really esoteric that bypass his invulnerability alltogether. Like something that hits his soul/mind.

Ah. Well, then, she's a enhanced super. Which is why she's The Boss.
    Indeed. She is more or less a double super. Hence why she is baseline stronger than any other super seen so far.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's outright stated somewhere that Achilles has complete and true invincibility by the author. Absolutely nothing can hurt him.

If that does grant him immortality that does make him a really tempting target for a theoretical 'What supers would I want to work for?' as Hench Wench.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #22

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I think it's outright stated somewhere that Achilles has complete and true invincibility by the author. Absolutely nothing can hurt him.

If that does grant him immortality that does make him a really tempting target for a theoretical 'What supers would I want to work for?' as Hench Wench.
    This is a world with magic, so perhaps his soul or brain can be affected.

OTOH I recall in Interview with a Vampire that one of the most feared threats was to seal a vampire inside a coffin or equivalent and just leave them there for years or decades or centuries. That would work with Achilles; he has no powers that would let him escape.

Therefore Hench Wench wants to sign a long-term contract with Achilles, then bury him in concrete at the foundation of a skyscraper, and take on new business.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

OTOH I recall in Interview with a Vampire that one of the most feared threats was to seal a vampire inside a coffin or equivalent and just leave them there for years or decades or centuries. That would work with Achilles; he has no powers that would let him escape.

Therefore Hench Wench wants to sign a long-term contract with Achilles, then bury him in concrete at the foundation of a skyscraper, and take on new business.
    They did this with the immortal-unkillable Jack Harkness in Torchwood as well.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, that's a possibility.

If Hench Wench sealed Achilles away, than she isn't really working for him, now is she? It would have to be a particularly poorly worded contract to allow that sort of abuse through.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

It would also fail if Achilles at any moment told her she were fired.

But also its still assuming Achilles can be copied. I find it unlikely since he is immune to everything else.
    He cant be chocked, he cant be starved, or poisoned, or disintegrated, or get sick. He is basically a walking "nope" sign.

26. - Top - End - #26

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Sure, that's a possibility.

If Hench Wench sealed Achilles away, than she isn't really working for him, now is she? It would have to be a particularly poorly worded contract to allow that sort of abuse through.
    That's why I said long-term contract, and yes, HW would need a good lawyer. It probably works best if an ally of HW seals Achilles away and he doesn't know Hench Wench is part of the scheme.

But also its still assuming Achilles can be copied. I find it unlikely since he is immune to everything else.
    He cant be chocked, he cant be starved, or poisoned, or disintegrated, or get sick. He is basically a walking "nope" sign.
    Does being copied harm Achilles, though? He's immune to being harmed. If an ally gains that ability it does not harm Achilles. Would granting Anvil invulnerability harm him?

It is an interesting question whether or not his power can tell the difference between a real ally, and an enemy feigning friendship.

27. - Top - End - #27

On the other hand he can taste food and drink, enjoys the "mouth feel" of his meals, and can clearly tell when he is touching something. He just cant be hurt. No clue if they ever mentioned psychic powers and such though.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I would bet that Achillies might just even no-sell angry magical mind attacks and other weird esoteric methods of harming him as well. Accounting for the WoG of him being really truly invulnerable I wouldn't be surprised if his power itself wasn't wildly esoteric in how it functioned to protect him.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

29. - Top - End - #29

The strange thing is how it does it. As I pointed out, he can clearly feel and taste things, therefore its not totally sealed away, but it always stops before he feels pain. Its almost like an organic version of those force fields that will let through enough sound and light so you can see and hear whats going on through it, but blocks lasers and sonic attacks. Just enough gets through that he can use his senses, but never enough to overtax those senses. Even maxima has issues where her "skin" is like glass. Nothing adheres to it properly. Though I assume she also has the full range of sensitivity to her senses as she can feel things both good and bad. If the bad is strong enough.

30. - Top - End - #30

Closest probable analogy I can come up with, is CheatEngine. Every cell in his body, individually, is constantly reset to an original state that was set when his powers activated. Things like food and contaminants remain on/in his body and provide constant "sensory pressure". The infinitesimal delay between resets allows him to feel things, but the effects can't accumulate or cause lasting pain or discomfort. He lives constantly in the 'now'. Even if a significantly powerful attack were to destroy some part of him inbetween "ticks", the reset would just restore the damage. The only problem in this explanation is that his memory still functions, but it's probably a general side-effect of powers that "required secondary powers" like remaining in control of your body when logic says you shouldn't, are taken for granted.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2020-11-19 at 09:17 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------