1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, that was messy.
    The poor janitor...

But honestly?
    The moron didn't strike me as the type to surrender, much less to a woman.
    So really, all Cora did was skipping to the end of the sequence. Maybe she could've used less... enthusiastic measures, but he did try to shoot someone.
    Frankly, i dont really care what they did. Reducing somebody to viscera is messy, cruel and pointless. Just put a regular bullet in his head next time, that level of overkill is totally inappropriate.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Frankly, i dont really care what they did. Reducing somebody to viscera is messy, cruel and pointless. Just put a regular bullet in his head next time, that level of overkill is totally inappropriate.
    I'm in agreement here. In the previous instance of "heavy ordinance overkill" from Cora she was outnumbered in a dark alley and had a legit need to use fast and overwhelming force. Here? She could have just shot the guy in the head and been done with it, I even agree she probably should have considering the risk to Sydney from a wound if he had been a super of some variety. But this was just a lot.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Honestly, the overkill doesnt bother me too much. Exploding in a gore cloud or bullet to the head, both are dead, in fact gore cloud might even be faster. I mean, people can survive being shot in the head. Exploding instantly? Not so much. So less potential pain in that case. Plus, if I were one of his mooks, surrender would be the first word out of my mouth after "I" Thats a very graphic example of what "resisting" might get you.

The part that bugs me is now they cant question him and its entirely possible his goons wont be aware of everything needed to track down all his operations and such in time. But thats why she is a merc/adventurer/trouble shooter and not a cop. While legally speaking its forgivable to kill him then and there, an armed man pointing his gun at an officer of the law tends to end that way, its not like she had no choice but to do that instead of, I dunno, anything nonlethal from stasis to removing the arm entirely with a lightsaber or something. She had the drop on him after all. So i get the feeling that all things considered she wont get into any trouble for it, but max is going to be annoyed because cora saved sydney which is awesome, but repainted sydney with this mans innards which is less so.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Well, that was messy.
    The poor janitor...
    Nobody ever thinks about the poor people that have to clean up the mess. Same goes for the overtly complicated movie traps.

This weapon Cora used has an additional flaw that does not have any purpose other than narrative one: there is a significant delay between the shot and the "oops". As Tuco said: If you want to shoot, just shoot don't start talking.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Nobody ever thinks about the poor people that have to clean up the mess. Same goes for the overtly complicated movie traps.

This weapon Cora used has an additional flaw that does not have any purpose other than narrative one: there is a significant delay between the shot and the "oops". As Tuco said: If you want to shoot, just shoot don't start talking.
    I disagree that it's a flaw. A regular bullet that kills no matter where it strikes is quite useful, particularly against aliens with non-standard biology. That being said, Cora was showboating there, for sure. She could've just shot the man in the head, instead of her fake disabling shot that she knew would actually kill him.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    there is a significant delay between the shot and the "oops".
    Unless it had to reach center mass from where it lodged itself. Deploy and wiggle its way to the heart, then SCHLRIP.

It's also a good way to cow other enemies into submission. It's a horrible, horrible way to go.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I disagree that it's a flaw. A regular bullet that kills no matter where it strikes is quite useful, particularly against aliens with non-standard biology. That being said, Cora was showboating there, for sure. She could've just shot the man in the head, instead of her fake disabling shot that she knew would actually kill him.
    Maybe she thinks it will make an impression on the others.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

It seems like this type of projectile might be designed to work against something like the Fel, which we know Cora has fought. In comic #766, when Goose and Seneca fire on the unshielded Fel, their bullets just knock large chunks of flesh away. The Fel do not bleed and don't appear to have internal organs. A bullet that slices and dices from the inside would be ideal for taking them apart once the shields are overwhelmed.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Unless it had to reach center mass from where it lodged itself. Deploy and wiggle its way to the heart, then SCHLRIP.

It's also a good way to cow other enemies into submission. It's a horrible, horrible way to go.
    Going by the lack of pain on the victims part after being shot I have to say no to the tunneling theory. For all we know its a shaped charge, or it acts like Deidara and his c4 bombs where the initial bomb turns into microscopic particles that travel through the body then are triggered internally. So she shoots, the bullet lodges in the body and collapses into particles that flow through the blood for a few seconds then BOOM! So even a flesh wound is enough to get you killed.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Going by the lack of pain on the victims part after being shot I have to say no to the tunneling theory. For all we know its a shaped charge, or it acts like Deidara and his c4 bombs where the initial bomb turns into microscopic particles that travel through the body then are triggered internally. So she shoots, the bullet lodges in the body and collapses into particles that flow through the blood for a few seconds then BOOM! So even a flesh wound is enough to get you killed.
    Oh - an internalized Daisy Cutter / Fuel Air bomb. The explosive particles disseminate through the circulatory system, and then a trigger sets them off. Nasty, but only works on beings with circulation - which is probably most of them. But maybe not the Fel, as discussed earlier.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Oh - an internalized Daisy Cutter / Fuel Air bomb. The explosive particles disseminate through the circulatory system, and then a trigger sets them off. Nasty, but only works on beings with circulation - which is probably most of them. But maybe not the Fel, as discussed earlier.
    Perhaps its not transported by blood, but a form of osmosis? It penetrates the target, then soaks through whatever form the body has, tissue, blood, fel crystals, whatever. Its more effective on some objects than others but in either case it explodes at a certain time to great effect, even if not total splatterfest. After all, those rib remains seemed oddly shaped.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

... those ribs are shaped how a cow's are after a butcher turns them into beef shortribs.

I'm very uncertain as to exactly what process would make a human's ribs turn out like that after exploding, and I'm quite certain that I really don't want to know.

Honestly, Cora's weapon is a bit weird; it's an abrupt and certain death, sure, but it's so messy that it's hard to even consider it as intimidation, exactly. It's so extreme that those likely to be deterred by something like that are more likely to end up traumatized to the point of incoherence, and those who aren't deterred by gore will continue fighting either way.

Meh, I guess we'll see, and it's hard to feel too bad for the death of 'thank you for fixing me, daddy' guy.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    I'm very uncertain as to exactly what process would make a human's ribs turn out like that after exploding, and I'm quite certain that I really don't want to know.
    Which is why I opined something that cut them apart from the inside out.

No pink mist - ribbons.

And with that slice of rib meat, that means something exceedingly sharp and strong to get through bone. From the inside. In one clean cut.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Might have been a resonance thing. Like the bullet enters and starts looking for whatever frequency it needs to make you explode.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

...well that's a lot more blood than I was expecting.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

I think the likely answer is closer to a Harlequins Kiss from Warhammer 40K.
    A monofilament while flailing around.

Else yeah. It was kinda a waste. They could have asked the guy all sorts of questions.
    I do think Cora is pretty sociopathic at times. Or something in that regard.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Else yeah. It was kinda a waste. They could have asked the guy all sorts of questions.
    I do think Cora is pretty sociopathic at times. Or something in that regard.
    Adventurer. She's a adventurer.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Adventurer. She's a adventurer.
    Also known as murder hobos.

Interestingly enough Dabbler is an adventurer as well, but working on moving into the "don't kill" department (unless she has have to).
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #289

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Also known as murder hobos.

Interestingly enough Dabbler is an adventurer as well, but working on moving into the "don't kill" department (unless she has have to).
    I resemble that remark about murder hobos, as last night I helped brutally murder a kind old lady named Baba Lysaga who hadn't done anything in particular to us.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

20. - Top - End - #290

I resemble that remark about murder hobos, as last night I helped brutally murder a kind old lady named Baba Lysaga who hadn't done anything in particular to us.
    Sometimes the general vicinity needs a good deal of murder hoboing to straighten out a mess. Nothing to be ashamed of.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean with a name like this?
    Sounds like bad news.
    Either you run screaming or you pull out the biggest guns you got and don't stop until you need a cartographer to go over the resulting mess.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, Dabbler IS working with Max, and Max is trying to keep things ... non-kablooey ... against folks who might give up.

Magical puppets, violence-fueled rampagers, genocidal invaders ... okay, yeah, blow them to heck and back. Everyone else gets the GBH threat. And one GTH.

23. - Top - End - #293

SamuraiGuy

OK, logic hole: how does Concretia create clean clothes out of concrete?

And I'm not sure I needed a whole strip devoted to Halo puking.

24. - Top - End - #294

And I'm not sure I needed a whole strip devoted to Halo puking.
    Probably just one of those things that has to be hand waved to keep the comic below r-18. Like how costume damage pretty much never takes place in certain strategic spots, and if it does, is always obscured by "camera" angles. Call it residual self image and its just lighter colored stone. Same reason why she isnt a single uniform concrete grey but instead has distinct coloration, even if only in shades of greyish. I mean lets face it, basically no powers make logical sense if you think about them hard enough. The tough part is finding the limit of suspension of disbelief.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Probably just one of those things that has to be hand waved to keep the comic below r-18.
    No. Its not a logic hole. And nothing is handwaved away.
    Concretia's power simply allow her to change the color of stone as she animates it.
    It might seem like she wears clothes. But she form them along with her body. We have seen it several times.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Maybe she thinks it will make an impression on the others.
    Do we know if the others are alive?
    I assumed it killed everyone near him as well. I also figured it was going to 'kill' Concretia, but she would just make a new body, but today's comic implies she made a new one by choice instead of necessity. (Not stating it explicitly, but implies she did it to get clean, not because her old body was destroyed.)

That said, it was far more rational a move for Cora if it gets prisoners, too.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

We see one of the other henchmen still alive in the splody panel last week on the left side. I'm just surprised that Concretia and Cora seem so "ok" with each other so quick.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

We see one of the other henchmen still alive in the splody panel last week on the left side. I'm just surprised that Concretia and Cora seem so "ok" with each other so quick.
    We don't know how long Cora was listening before she 'announced' herself. Then there's that Sydney had been in contact with her via the glasses. Probably filled her in on how Concretia was actually a 'friendly', but under duress.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Cora probably just figures she can handle her if she looks like she wants more trouble, not convinced she could actually but that's anothe discussion, and Concretia doesn't seem interested in picking a fight either. Concretia mentioning she also wanted to kill the guy doesn't hurt things either.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Its also not like it would not be quick for Sydney to say Concretia is held under duress between bouts of vomiting.
    We were already told she was given an antidote off panel.