New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

At least Dabbler's wildly changing facial appearance can be excused by her illusions and disguise tech... not sure what the excuse is for other characters.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

not sure what the excuse is for other characters.
    That the artist is constantly experimenting to improve?

The same thing by the way, people in This thread is constantly snarking about the author not doing.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

The same thing by the way, people in This thread is constantly snarking about the author not doing.

Look at the vote incentive of Dabbler vs today's comic Dabbler. If she were human instead of having all the alien/demon traits that make her identifiable, it wouldn't even obviously be the same character.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Look at the vote incentive of Dabbler vs today's comic Dabbler. If she were human instead of having all the alien/demon traits that make her identifiable, it wouldn't even obviously be the same character.
    This month's vote incentive? This is what's in the blurb about it:
    July’s vote incentive is up!

You guys don’t know who this is yet. (Her name is Xerxa.) I will give you one single guess what she might be from. (And no, it’s not Dabbler’s mother.)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    This month's vote incentive? This is what's in the blurb about it:
    Heh, I didn't read the blurb, I just thought it was Dabbler.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, I didn't read the blurb, I just thought it was Dabbler.
    No, Dave just has a type.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Do also count the arms.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

He doesn't seem to stay working in the same style long enough to improve much in any particular style, tho. Questionable Content has the same thing going where any given style is only in use for ~100 strips (3 to 4 months, it's a much quicker update pace than Grrlpower) and the artist kind of just barely settles into a particular way of drawing his characters before they all look completely different.

I think both of them have an issue where they know vaguely what a character looks like and have like a key list of traits, but they don't actually keep/work from a reference image or design bible of what anybody should actually look like. So Leon is 'tall, skinny, long face, not very expressive' but if you go compare all the Leons through the comics he's been in you'll see like six recognizably different characters.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

I don't care if an artist "improves" if the style for their comic keeps randomly and entirely changing.

I'd rather have a consistent style with some or even no improvement, than have to figure out who an old recurring character is each time they appear.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

I think both of them have an issue where they know vaguely what a character looks like and have like a key list of traits, but they don't actually keep/work from a reference image or design bible of what anybody should actually look like. So Leon is 'tall, skinny, long face, not very expressive' but if you go compare all the Leons through the comics he's been in you'll see like six recognizably different characters.
    Well. At the same time. I have yet to have any problems recognizing any of the main characters.
    So clearly the changes are pretty fluid.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of stylistic changes... it's tough for me to isolate (mostly because I have neither the time nor the desire to take the necessary steps to make the side-by-side comparisons), but something with the faces seems to have changed back around the Hench Wench fight; I think it might be the eyes..? But something is making a lot of the female characters (especially Maxima and Dabbler) look very odd to me.

12. - Top - End - #582

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    But something is making a lot of the female characters (especially Maxima and Dabbler) look very odd to me.
    Male characters look even more odd, although Dave rarely draws them. Human males apparently have Klingon ridges above their eyebrows.

The main characteristic of females is a smooth forehead. (well, exceptions exist)

13. - Top - End - #583

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Male characters look even more odd, although Dave rarely draws them. Human males apparently have Klingon ridges above their eyebrows.

The main characteristic of females is a smooth forehead. (well, exceptions exist)
    Sorry, poorly phrased on my part- I meant that the female characters (especially Max and Dabbler) are looking badly off-model from what they used to look like, not odd compared to reality (which is kind of a given in any sort of stylized art )

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

Finally done overexplaining the choker and on to an actually pretty funny couple of panels. The visual gag with the pictures got a real chuckle out of me.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

It is a little funny.
    And i guess more than a little dirty xD

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

It is a little funny.
    And i guess more than a little dirty xD
    Way more then a little, get the free version of the high res one and read that file transfer one more closely. And then wince.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Way more then a little, get the free version of the high res one and read that file transfer one more closely. And then wince.
    I got decent eyesight and a decent monitor. I can read the majority without.
    Cute. Not unexpected. And a little bit dirty.

Else. Nice comic. Interesting they are using Vehemence for this.
    I find it a little hilarious V practically need to be beaten up once in a while xD

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

This strikes me as an incredibly bad idea.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Indeed. On the other hand, they know that Max can really do a number on him if he doesnt get a really solid charge going ahead of time, and Dabbler can still circumvent the dangerous parts of his brain.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

The undertext implication is that he likely needs a chance to get violence periodically to live similar to Dabbler and her unique needs. Could be him faking though.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

So set up a bopper in his cell to give him a bop once or twice a day.

Don't let him out where it could turn into another incident.

Even if they think they have a way to re-subdue him, he's shown himself versatile and creative enough that I'd never call it a guarantee.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

When we think about it, then its something we should have seen comming.
    Vehence runs on violence the same way Dabbler runs on lust.
    And we have directly been told Succubi require lust energy the same way way we require iron or kalcium or other trace stuff.

At the same time. Vehemence is both to useful, and to dangerous, to ignore completely.
    He is someone you want to reform, not have sitting like a ticking bomb waiting to get busted out.

Instead if you can "train" him to leave prison on small missions, then its a lot more like he will be useful in an emergency.
    Such as when there is a real alien invasion. Or a Maxima+ class thing that makes trouble.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

And we have directly been told Succubi require lust energy the same way way we require iron or kalcium or other trace stuff.
    We've also been shown they can get it from others getting it on in the toilet while they wait outside.
    Just give Vehemence access to some news channel. Or slapstick cartoons.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    We've also been shown they can get it from others getting it on in the toilet while they wait outside.
    Just give Vehemence access to some news channel. Or slapstick cartoons.
    I doubt television would work. But having him sit there while two boxers go at it would probably work.

That said, they are probably trying to rehabilitate him and get him on the team, because he would be very useful to have around if they can trust him.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

25. - Top - End - #595
    Colossus in the Playground

Keep in mind, to become a threat required vehemence sucking up energy from a 30+ person super battle royal and even then he was vulnerable to maxima. Here he is getting 1 on 1 combat time in an isolated area where maxima could instantly goddess of ash his head if she so desired because there is no way he would get strong enough fighting one person to reach a dangerous level. I wouldnt be shocked if sydney could just lighthook cocoon him herself with this little violence. This may be the first attempt to reason with him. I dont imagine an endless pot high is a good thing long term so making a deal where he gets to have some violence in training fights like this to get something to eat so long as he otherwise behaves is an unreasonable compromise.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Having V along with Maxima, Halo, Dabbler, and some of the others... would make ARC super-likely to just curbstomp any threat.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Having V along with Maxima, Halo, Dabbler, and some of the others... would make ARC super-likely to just curbstomp any threat.
    Yes it would, so it would be a very smart decision to try to rehabilitate and recruit him.

Whether that would make for an interesting story, on the other hand...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

I can only imagine that if second hand violence were usable they wouldn't be doing this right now, so it stands to reason that they probably do need to let him out now and then with Maxima hovering over him as a reminder of her willingness to escalate way beyond the speed he can scale off of it.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I can only imagine that if second hand violence were usable they wouldn't be doing this right now, so it stands to reason that they probably do need to let him out now and then with Maxima hovering over him as a reminder of her willingness to escalate way beyond the speed he can scale off of it.
    Actually, I imagine second hand violence would work, but would be even riskier. This involves exposing Kevin to Archon, in a completely controlled environment where they can prevent escalation. Something like a boxing match has an audience that he could possibly harvest violence from as well, if someone starts a fight.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

30. - Top - End - #600

IIR his arc correctly his absorption range grows when he has more power so it might be pretty low when weak. They could try opening a fight club next to his cell!