New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He DID seem to have an effect on the supers he brought though. Assuming we can trust the debriefing the bad guys had they felt like it would be rude to not agree to go with him. It seems like he has a subtle mind control effect he can use on people for fairly cheap as this was all done pre violence. Seriously, the harder we think about vehemence the more his power comes around to author fiat. He can do literally whatever the author wants him to do and stop trying to figure him out as it varies depending on what dave wants him to do or be capable of at this point in time.
    Super-leadership really sounds more like the equivilant to hypno-boobs, though- a minor power to make feeding easier, but not part of the main power kit.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Maybe Vehemence's aura is always-on but he can put more power into it and ramp it up as power becomes available to him?

Come to think of it, did Jabberwocky fall victim to the aura and that's why she didn't want to switch out?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Jabberwocky just digs fighting.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

4. - Top - End - #664

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Jabberwocky just digs fighting.
    And Max kicked Ren off a cliff. That might be Vehemence's escape plan, if he's got one - set the supers against each other, but subtly so they don't realize it's happening.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And Max kicked Ren off a cliff. That might be Vehemence's escape plan, if he's got one - set the supers against each other, but subtly so they don't realize it's happening.
    Seems unlikely to work though, they know what he does now and know Sydney can see his violence aura. HE may not know that though, but he does know Sydney was able to work out the details to stop him with her shield the first time around though. Honestly I don't think he personally has an escape plan, if he makes a run for it it will be an outside party intervening.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Maybe Vehemence's aura is always-on but he can put more power into it and ramp it up as power becomes available to him?

Come to think of it, did Jabberwocky fall victim to the aura and that's why she didn't want to switch out?
    He specifically turned it off when Sydney put her shield around him to block it from affecting anyone but her, in this page.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #667

SamuraiGuy

OK, we now learn in author commentary that Vehemence has no upper limit and when he has enough "mojo" can make up powers he's seen on the spot.

He needs to go back into his safe cage, now. But Sydney just gave us strong foreshadowing that things are about to go wrong, very wrong, and an A-lister will get hurt.

Ren (Redline?) has an upper limit that keeps moving, per commentary.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

Ren (Redline?) has an upper limit that keeps moving, per commentary.
    Ren's powers just keep getting cooler, and Redline is actually a super cool name conceptually but it's been getting vetoed in the comics comment section over racial concerns. Which is a shame, it's probably the best name I had heard for him so far. (Overclock is also great but MHA already has a super super prominent one of those with super speed powers.)
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Ren's powers just keep getting cooler, and Redline is actually a super cool name conceptually but it's been getting vetoed in the comics comment section over racial concerns. Which is a shame, it's probably the best name I had heard for him so far. (Overclock is also great but MHA already has a super super prominent one of those with super speed powers.)
    "Concerns"?

The shark has been jumped.

E: read the comment there, and... this is why we need an eyeroll emote and a facepalm emote... but we'll have to just point people to read the comments there, nothing we can discuss here.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2021-08-16 at 09:17 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

10. - Top - End - #670

SamuraiGuy

"Barbarian" might work for Ren. The longer the battle lasts, the stronger he gets.

Hotblood?

11. - Top - End - #671
    Colossus in the Playground

I think with ren its a matter of training. Think Goku. By pushing himself to the limit over and over his limit gets further and further away. He cant just ramp up to nigh on infinite right off the bat. Its like exercising a muscle. You cant start doing ten pound arm curls then go right to 400 kg deadlifts. And im honestly wondering whats going to go wrong. I get the feeling sydney is going to get beaten in a stomp. Not her getting hurt, just vehemence isnt stupid and is aware of a lot of her skills now. He wont take her lightly beyond this being a spar and not life or death. Im pretty sure he is already past her light hook power level, and her lasers really arent that powerful. She can cut a tank in half, woohoo, thats like bare minimum for blaster powers. Vehemence could probably bite one in half at this stage. Her shield and flight are her only advantages, but she cant really do much to him. Dabbler might have options. She doesnt really tend to show off much of her destructive power but we know she was able to force maxima to turtle mode when they sparred.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

I think with ren its a matter of training. Think Goku. By pushing himself to the limit over and over his limit gets further and further away. He cant just ramp up to nigh on infinite right off the bat. Its like exercising a muscle. You cant start doing ten pound arm curls then go right to 400 kg deadlifts. And im honestly wondering whats going to go wrong. I get the feeling sydney is going to get beaten in a stomp. Not her getting hurt, just vehemence isnt stupid and is aware of a lot of her skills now. He wont take her lightly beyond this being a spar and not life or death. Im pretty sure he is already past her light hook power level, and her lasers really arent that powerful. She can cut a tank in half, woohoo, thats like bare minimum for blaster powers. Vehemence could probably bite one in half at this stage. Her shield and flight are her only advantages, but she cant really do much to him. Dabbler might have options. She doesnt really tend to show off much of her destructive power but we know she was able to force maxima to turtle mode when they sparred.
    Dabbler has also likely been working on means of confronting and controlling Vehemence since the first fight.

We've seen Sidney slag those towering Cthulhu-kaiju or whatever you want to call them, which is a bit more firepower than cutting a tank in half.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Honestly, Foehammer is a great name for a bruiser type hero; I think they dismissed it too quickly. You might get some problems with copyright, though Halo (the game not the character) was able to borrow it without problems, so maybe he'd be fine?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

Foe Hammer is great but I feel like you want it for someone bulkier and a bit more visually jacked. Ren has this more sleep swimmers kind of built. Foehammer doesn't feel right on him.

15. - Top - End - #675

SamuraiGuy

For Ren: Rapier. Both swift & strong.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never really understood why members of Archon have superhero names. Superhero names are meant to protect a superhero's secret identity, but the members of Archon don't have secret identities, so what's the point of their superhero names?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Marketing.

As dumb as that sounds, it comes up in the comic.

18. - Top - End - #678

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Marketing.

As dumb as that sounds, it comes up in the comic.
    Do not make Ariana angry. She, too, has super powers - specifically, she's a lawyer.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Well. Nice to see they do indeed have a plan to rehabilitate Vehemence.
    Or at least get some use out of him. Monthly training bashes against a whole team of supers are one heck of a carrot to dangle.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

20. - Top - End - #680

SamuraiGuy

Aura being at-will: confirmed.
    Dabbler getting bored? Well, she does have ADHD, or the alien + succubus version thereof. But still, damn.
    Vehemence is cooperating and can, probably, be made a useful member of the team.

21. - Top - End - #681

Ok, this is a bad idea. I mean, keeping it to physical attacks and such SHOULD restrain how strong he can get if maxima holds back on her stat dumping so she has a second gear to nuke him with at need, but letting him ramp up to her seems like its a bit more risky than is acceptable for a first try basis. I mean, she is the nuclear option, the one with the power that exceeds everyone else so she is the safety net in case he decides to stop cooperating. Again, im not saying he will take advantage of it, im just saying its a risky move.

That said, i DO like this setup. A true win win for everyone involved if vehemence remains reasonable, which he should as he is a rational kind of guy. He gets all the vitamin V he needs and wants, arcswat gets high level combat training that helps them push their limits then swap off to the next trainee on the power scale. He will even get the chance to play around with his own upper limits fighting maxima and trying out new powers eventually.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #682

SamuraiGuy

Ok, this is a bad idea. I mean, keeping it to physical attacks and such SHOULD restrain how strong he can get if maxima holds back on her stat dumping so she has a second gear to nuke him with at need, but letting him ramp up to her seems like its a bit more risky than is acceptable for a first try basis. I mean, she is the nuclear option, the one with the power that exceeds everyone else so she is the safety net in case he decides to stop cooperating. Again, im not saying he will take advantage of it, im just saying its a risky move.

That said, i DO like this setup. A true win win for everyone involved if vehemence remains reasonable, which he should as he is a rational kind of guy. He gets all the vitamin V he needs and wants, arcswat gets high level combat training that helps them push their limits then swap off to the next trainee on the power scale. He will even get the chance to play around with his own upper limits fighting maxima and trying out new powers eventually.
    I think Sydney was foreshadowing bad things happening in the previous strip. That being said, the other ace in the hole is Dabbler - Vehemence may not have any counters for magic.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Sydney has also been shown to sometimes be wrong when she predicts events based on tropes though. So I wouldn't take her comments as guaranteed foreshadowing.

24. - Top - End - #684

I think Sydney was foreshadowing bad things happening in the previous strip. That being said, the other ace in the hole is Dabbler - Vehemence may not have any counters for magic.
    He was outright shutting down her magic while ramped up. Spouting magic technobabble at her and instantly pegging her as a succubus. He is well aware of magic and knows how to deal with it. Her tech might be another matter as she has had time to prep for him after seeing the sort of level he was capable of reaching.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Sydney has also been shown to sometimes be wrong when she predicts events based on tropes though. So I wouldn't take her comments as guaranteed foreshadowing.
    This doesnt seem to have anything to do with tropes though so much as Sydney just being uncomfortable with the idea of Vehemence deciding to go all out on them again.

Also, it took me until just now to realize that they switched out his opponent to Hiro between pages.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

He was outright shutting down her magic while ramped up. Spouting magic technobabble at her and instantly pegging her as a succubus. He is well aware of magic and knows how to deal with it. Her tech might be another matter as she has had time to prep for him after seeing the sort of level he was capable of reaching.
    Question remain how many of those solutions remain viable on a Vehemence at peak.

Well. At the same time. It does look like it does not matter.
    From what i can see of the color. Vehemence is charged to the point where he was chocking Max.

But he still seems more motivated by a chance to have a fair slugging match with Max.

edit.
    Reread the Vehemence fight for reference.
    Max's "im so conflicted" is still funny xD
    https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...-of-the-grrls/
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2021-08-19 at 11:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #687

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    This doesnt seem to have anything to do with tropes though so much as Sydney just being uncomfortable with the idea of Vehemence deciding to go all out on them again.

Also, it took me until just now to realize that they switched out his opponent to Hiro between pages.
    Wow, I didnt notice till you said that. I admit I dont tend to pay close attention to artwork unless there is a specific reason to so I just went with the ren assumption and read the speech bubbles.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Question remain how many of those solutions remain viable on a Vehemence at peak.
    When they know his trick ahead of time I'm guessing more of them then not. Dabbler's general disagreement with concepts like Use of Force Doctrines and and a willingness to pack ordinance so heavy it makes Apollo look like he is paper airplaning someone's ribs means she might even be a higher risk to him then Max is here. Either of them could likely stop him cold unless he caught them by surprise again.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Both Maxima and Vehemence make absolutely glorious faces at the prospect of a rematch.
    Good thing this is a no powers match, because even then they'll probably redesign the landscape.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

When they know his trick ahead of time I'm guessing more of them then not. Dabbler's general disagreement with concepts like Use of Force Doctrines and and a willingness to pack ordinance so heavy it makes Apollo look like he is paper airplaning someone's ribs means she might even be a higher risk to him then Max is here. Either of them could likely stop him cold unless he caught them by surprise again.
    More the other way around i would say. At full power neither of them can stop him unless they catch him by surprise.
    And actually i doubt Dabbler has the firepower. Vehemence is close to Marvel Thor tier toughness. And he regenerates.