New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    By the time they realized the need for a passive take down I think he was just too far along regardless of how they were equipped. Similar problem here, Dabbler has some heavy hitting tools but I feel like a broad but shallow pool of tricks is going to drop off fast against him.
    She did not have anything effective back than, but she might be better prepared right now as this sparring was obviously planned in advance. During the first fight she stated that the team was not equipped for this - not that the task was impossible.

If Maxima devised methods for dealing with Vehemence, why Dabbler could not?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    She did not have anything effective back than, but she might be better prepared right now as this sparring was obviously planned in advance. During the first fight she stated that the team was not equipped for this - not that the task was impossible.

If Maxima devised methods for dealing with Vehemence, why Dabbler could not?
    Also we saw her working on nonlethal takedown tools afterwards.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

So I was doing a bit of a reread, and noticed this page.

It's framed as a conversational hypothetical; Ariana pointing out how stereotypically villainous people will react to Maxima's performance. But the Deus one looks like it's supposed to represent what's actually happening, the shadowy one is almost certainly the Twilight Court (which also played out basically as presented), and top left also probably played out exactly like that. Note that this scene takes place before either of those last two had been introduced.

That says to me that the entire page is meant to be foreshadowing, and it's got some players we haven't seen yet, plus one that we have already had some foreshadowing on, who presumably now knows Dabbler's location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    So I was doing a bit of a reread, and noticed this page.

It's framed as a conversational hypothetical; Ariana pointing out how stereotypically villainous people will react to Maxima's performance. But the Deus one looks like it's supposed to represent what's actually happening, the shadowy one is almost certainly the Twilight Court (which also played out basically as presented), and top left also probably played out exactly like that. Note that this scene takes place before either of those last two had been introduced.

That says to me that the entire page is meant to be foreshadowing, and it's got some players we haven't seen yet, plus one that we have already had some foreshadowing on, who presumably now knows Dabbler's location.
    Fourth panel in that first page is also someone we know: Cthillia

So basically just two people from that page did not appear yet.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

And that's how you one-shot a fully powered up Vehemence, folks. Game, set, match, and if he's smart, all future matches.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #756

Huh, didnt think about that option. Mainly because I didnt consider that she could create intergalactic portals in atmosphere. Looks like she wins any games of keep away, forever.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on the details of the portal, there may be a pressure differential while it's open, and a lot of wind.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Troll in the Playground

All the dust in the air was actually working to Halo's advantage here, as Vehemence could not see the portal until it was to late.

9. - Top - End - #759

SamuraiGuy

Vehemence probably won't charge right at Halo next time (if there is a next time), but standing back and letting her fire away with her death ray is also not a winning option for him.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

Fourth panel in that first page is also someone we know: Cthillia

So basically just two people from that page did not appear yet.
    That is decidedly not Cthillia, given the translation it's more likely the super that Max mentions was almost as strong as her.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

All the dust in the air was actually working to Halo's advantage here, as Vehemence could not see the portal until it was to late.
    If he even knew what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Vehemence probably won't charge right at Halo next time (if there is a next time), but standing back and letting her fire away with her death ray is also not a winning option for him.
    Problem is, he's a melee type. He really hasn't shown more than 'hit people with his body' or 'throw something heavy at someone'.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    That is decidedly not Cthillia, given the translation it's more likely the super that Max mentions was almost as strong as her.
    I was not aware, that there was a translation available. Indeed your assumption is far more likely considering, what was said in that panel.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Bugbear in the Playground

It would be funny if he makes some power to pull himself towards things and just disappears in the space station now that only Sidney is there.

14. - Top - End - #764

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    It would be funny if he makes some power to pull himself towards things and just disappears in the space station now that only Sidney is there.
    Princess Leia meets her match!

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Now, I don't want to say I called it, but...

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    She could also potentially just warp gate with him into empty space/the Alari homeworld. She's got a personal atmosphere orb; he does not; that 'fight' ends precisely one way.
    I totally ****ing called it!

Heh, not often I get one of these right. Or close enough, in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

In the comments on the Grrl Power page there was some concern that Halo should not reveal her FTL powers to Vehemence, but I just remembered there is a quick fix to that. At least as long as Dabbler can be precise with what she erases. I also wonder, if her use of amnesia spell is regulated by Archon somehow.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

He wouldn't be so frustrated with Maxima, then. He knows she can fly; if he had the power to pull things to him, or pull himself to things, he'd have used it against her in the fight...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

18. - Top - End - #768

It's also unlikely that he could manage the fifteen-sixteen tons of thrust needed to counter a lighthook-yoink back into position, at least with an off-the-cuff power.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

19. - Top - End - #769

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    It's also unlikely that he could manage the fifteen-sixteen tons of thrust needed to counter a lighthook-yoink back into position, at least with an off-the-cuff power.
    Considering that he should be significantly faster than her touching him with the hook should be an easy way for him to get to the bubble, which if you can manage to land on the right side of it is a perfect jumping off point.

20. - Top - End - #770

Whooops! Looks like thats something they should have thought about before doing. Here comes all sorts of problems. Now, will those problems be primarily diplomatic? More bounty hunters? Outright war with the xenowhatevers?

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Whooops! Looks like thats something they should have thought about before doing. Here comes all sorts of problems. Now, will those problems be primarily diplomatic? More bounty hunters? Outright war with the xenowhatevers?
    I assume it will hamper or otherwise affect their diplomatic efforts and be an awkward conversation, but theyve already made diplomatic contact, so its not like theyre suddenly transported into a bigger pond than they already were.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #772

SamuraiGuy

Based on the TV screens behind the aliens, monitoring Earth as a trouble spot is an ongoing project. Someone is probably going to come see how Earthlings managed to open a gate, and the fact that Halo has Nth level technology is going to be spread around the galaxy.

Not smart, ArcSwat. Not smart at all. In fact, predictable (at least some of us called it in advance).

Halo may have to go into hiding. I wonder if the Illuminatti can manage it?

23. - Top - End - #773

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I assume it will hamper or otherwise affect their diplomatic efforts and be an awkward conversation, but theyve already made diplomatic contact, so its not like theyre suddenly transported into a bigger pond than they already were.
    Yeah but this may be treated like suddenly discovering that backwater tribe in the amazon you opened tentative contact with... has nukes somehow. Thats going to cause all sorts of issues and problems and they could escalate fast past the level of "talks"

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

It's clear they know a gateway opened, and that it came from the vicinity of Earth.

It is in no way clear they can tie this to Sydney, or prove that it's Earth itself or someone on it that has "Nth Tech".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

25. - Top - End - #775

SamuraiGuy

Chekov's alien suggests pretty strongly that Halo will be affected by the aliens observing the gate opening near Earth.

26. - Top - End - #776

Chekov's alien suggests pretty strongly that Halo will be affected by the aliens observing the gate opening near Earth.
    I agree, like I said, im just wondering what form of effect it will be. We already had alien bounty hunters gunning for maxima. And there is also the issue that sydney may have had previous experience with the xevoarchy on scionas home world. Though thats uncertain as I think dabbler wasnt certain if thats who it was or not. But if it was, she is responsible for blowing up several of their kaiju mech models and such before leaving the planet through her new causeway ability. So they may declare her a war criminal or some such thing and demand they turn her over or else they will come and take her.

27. - Top - End - #777

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I agree, like I said, im just wondering what form of effect it will be. We already had alien bounty hunters gunning for maxima. And there is also the issue that sydney may have had previous experience with the xevoarchy on scionas home world. Though thats uncertain as I think dabbler wasnt certain if thats who it was or not. But if it was, she is responsible for blowing up several of their kaiju mech models and such before leaving the planet through her new causeway ability. So they may declare her a war criminal or some such thing and demand they turn her over or else they will come and take her.
    A war criminal for fighting against robots that were attacking everything in sight seems like a stretch, but of course I am not an expert in galactic law.
    I think criminals trying to kidnap her or simply kill her and take the orbs seems most likely.
    The second is a galactic diplomatic mission wanting access to her to study the orbs, and that might even be accepted by Archon's leadership. Put Halo through awkward encounters leading to possible humiliation, gain access to alien tech and trade = win!
    Both in parallel is also possible, with a chance for criminals to infiltrate the diplomats.
    Cora & crew may well have advance notice of either.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Of all the horrible tropes of writing fiction, Chekov's is the worst.

It's a lazy meta-shortcut that avoids showing actual connections in favor of "the audience will understand this on a meta-level".
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2021-09-20 at 09:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wouldn't this be foreshadowing, rather than Chekov's Gun? Sure, the latter is technically an example/subtrope of the former, but foreshadowing is generally - if well done, at least - an important part of very good writing. Otherwise you get stuff coming completely out of nowhere all the time and the plot turns into a carnival funhouse.

As far as the orbs thing - we already knew from Cora that N-tech is valuable, empires will go to war over it. N-tech is not the only means of making an aetherium causeway, but all of the ways are stuff Earth probably shouldn't have access to. So I think we're jumping to conclusions currently to assume the inevitable outcome here is 'Sydney and her orbs become Galaxy's Most Wanted'. There's a whole lot of other, less disastrous outcomes to this new plotline, and it'll be up to ArcSWAT and Co. to make one of those happen instead.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-09-20 at 10:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #780

A war criminal for fighting against robots that were attacking everything in sight seems like a stretch, but of course I am not an expert in galactic law.
    I think criminals trying to kidnap her or simply kill her and take the orbs seems most likely.
    The second is a galactic diplomatic mission wanting access to her to study the orbs, and that might even be accepted by Archon's leadership. Put Halo through awkward encounters leading to possible humiliation, gain access to alien tech and trade = win!
    Both in parallel is also possible, with a chance for criminals to infiltrate the diplomats.
    Cora & crew may well have advance notice of either.
    Technically, if that WAS the intergalactic UN, sydney interfered in military operations and wiped out a tank battalion. (Also a sizeable number of drone fighters) That may not be a war crime, but its probably something they will frown on. I notice armies tend to get upset when they get wiped out by third parties. :p Im honestly unsure what the exact charge would be considered for that. To use real world terms, it would be like, let say america was fighting a battle in afghanistan, when suddenly a group of people from, i dunno, finland, showed up and shot down tons of our stuff without provocation. Maybe "act of war" would be a better description of what sydney did? Either way, its a big deal, and when combined with her absurdly advanced tech, and earth not being a ftl world, it could have severe repercussions. But, I was reading through the arc on scionas home world, and dabbler was pretty adamant when the mechs showed up that it wasnt the intergalactic UN so that may just be a future mystery.