Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 498
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    She could however, grab Hench Wench and throw her at Brut and than catch them both and hold them up by the throat until they surrendered.
    Can she? When she maxes out her speed, she has to dump her strength and durability for it, and while she's still super, she isnt "face tank anything and everything" super either. I dont know that i would automatically give this fight to max if she has to incapacitate them nonlethally.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Can she? When she maxes out her speed, she has to dump her strength and durability for it, and while she's still super, she isnt "face tank anything and everything" super either. I dont know that i would automatically give this fight to max if she has to incapacitate them nonlethally.
    Probably. If not, she could very well shoot Hench Wench in the throat, swap to strength, than throw her, zip back to where Brut is, back to strength, and than it's more or less like what I suggested.

    EDIT: Remember, Brut started the fight with a sucker punch to Maxima when she was maxing out speed. And that only rattled her for a few seconds.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2020-11-28 at 12:08 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    And now this is turning into armchair quarterbacking. Yes, there are a bazaillion options she COULD pick to do, you who have had a literal month to consider the options, angles, and possibilities here, can theorycraft all the ways that could possibly work to decide the best one you think she should pick during the 5 minutes she has even been aware that a fight is going on (if that long). That doesnt make it a failure on the part of the comic author that he doesnt solve it the way you think it could be written to be solved. There are genuine justifications for max to not be the one to auto handle every scenario, and she chooses to hold back specifically to let the rest of the team handle what they can because she IS on a team. It isnt team maxima and a dozen cheerleaders. They are generally capable of handling 95% of the issues that come up without her being the golden savior swooping in to take care of every situation herself in some absurdly overpowered way. There is enough in universe justification given to explain why narratively speaking dave isnt going to have every fight be over in the blink of an eye. It doesnt have to be flawless reasoning with absolutely no other options possible, it just needs to make some logical sense, and it does. This is like bagging on lotr because "OMG WHY NOT HAVE TEH EAGULZ CARRY THEM TO MORDOR?!" Just enjoy the freaking story!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And now this is turning into armchair quarterbacking. Yes, there are a bazaillion options she COULD pick to do, you who have had a literal month to consider the options, angles, and possibilities here, can theorycraft all the ways that could possibly work to decide the best one you think she should pick during the 5 minutes she has even been aware that a fight is going on (if that long). That doesnt make it a failure on the part of the comic author that he doesnt solve it the way you think it could be written to be solved. There are genuine justifications for max to not be the one to auto handle every scenario, and she chooses to hold back specifically to let the rest of the team handle what they can because she IS on a team. It isnt team maxima and a dozen cheerleaders. They are generally capable of handling 95% of the issues that come up without her being the golden savior swooping in to take care of every situation herself in some absurdly overpowered way. There is enough in universe justification given to explain why narratively speaking dave isnt going to have every fight be over in the blink of an eye. It doesnt have to be flawless reasoning with absolutely no other options possible, it just needs to make some logical sense, and it does. This is like bagging on lotr because "OMG WHY NOT HAVE TEH EAGULZ CARRY THEM TO MORDOR?!" Just enjoy the freaking story!
    Well it's because I'm not enjoying this fight. I mean, Maxima has spent the last three comics with a gun pointed at a guy's **** and has done literally nothing else. So it is very much a situation of 'do something!' Pass the prisoner off to someone else if need be, just stop standing there.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    She probably will now as its looking like the team cant handle this overpowered idiot. Also she is no longer holding brut's twig and berries at gunpoint. Probably best to hand him off to the others so she can focus on ms multipowers. Maybe round two will let us see better what his powers are as he deals with the others.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Hey look, some good judgement. How about that?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    I forgot that HW knocked Dabbler for a loop a few strips back.
    So the only person on scene and conscious who looks like a match for HW is Maxima. In fact, I think she's the only flight-capable person left with Halo off being actually smart. Ergo, Maxima has to swap over to fighting HW, while the rest of the team handles Brut. At least until Dabbler rejoins the conscious.

    I think that Dabbler menacing Brut's personal equipment with her vierhander might be effective. It may lack the laser targeting beam, but would still be rather menacing.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TeChameleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Honestly, I think that Maxima has been playing this one fairly smart... although if what I'm assuming is correct, it probably should have been made clearer what was going on.

    Basically, Hench Wench has not demonstrated power beyond what the rest of the team can handle. Sure, they're taking their lumps, but at the same time, nobody seems to be in major danger. Meanwhile, Brut has demonstrated that he can at least inconvenience Max, which may be more than the rest of the team can take without significant risk.

    Thus, keeping a gun to Brut's... head... is potentially the best move Max has at the moment, while observing what Hench Wench is capable of. If the Wench proves to be more of a threat than initially assessed, then Max can hand Brut off to someone else and jump into the fray, even if that means taking the chance that Brut will overpower his captor and re-join the fight or escape. After all, he's surrendered, but he hasn't been restrained or incapacitated, so he's still very much in play.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Earth and/or not-Earth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    After all, he's surrendered, but he hasn't been restrained or incapacitated, so he's still very much in play.
    No, he's not in play - he surrendered. Surrendering means that you agree to stop fighting, even if you could continue to fight. It's possible that he'll ignore this and break his surrender, but that would be a crime (assuming the law in this universe is similar to in ours).
    I'm making a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    No, he's not in play - he surrendered. Surrendering means that you agree to stop fighting, even if you could continue to fight. It's possible that he'll ignore this and break his surrender, but that would be a crime (assuming the law in this universe is similar to in ours).
    Because attempted murder, theft, and assault are one thing, but breaking surrender is much worse of a crime.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Because attempted murder, theft, and assault are one thing, but breaking surrender is much worse of a crime.
    Once you surrender you have to keep your word, right? At least that's what superhero cartoons and comics have taught us (I kind of like how surreal this scene is).

    That being said, I agree: there is absolutely no reason to trust Brut and him trying to escape is a real possibility.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Because attempted murder, theft, and assault are one thing, but breaking surrender is much worse of a crime.
    This hinges on the difference between actions in a theater of war versus criminal activity. War operates by a set of laws that allows for a great many normally criminal actions to take place, but still occurs under agreements as to what appropriate wartime activity. False surrender is therefore a war crime while killing an enemy combatant is not.

    Criminals don't really 'surrender,' as a technical legal matter. Arrest applies from the moment the cops say 'you're under arrest.' Or potentially before that, a judge or a sheriff can put out a warrant for an arrest without the subject's knowledge and they don't even have to be in the same country. Instead criminals 'cease resistance,' which means that law enforcement has to stop using force against them (though they generally apply restraints). If somewhat starts resisting again, then forcible restraint will be applied. But yes, the legal consequences of a few extra counts of 'resisting arrest' and 'assaulting an officer' aren't really all that significant for someone up against, for example, multiple murder charges. However, it does tend to be awfully easy to prove.

    In this particular circumstance assaulting and stealing from extraterrestrial criminals might be...jurisdictionally complicated to bring forward in court, but brawling with Archon racks up a significant rap sheet worth of charges all on its own.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    That's an interesting point - what laws apply to interplanetary travelers? Does Earth need to sign a treaty for those laws to be in force on Earth? Or do the aliens assume you ought to know better?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    This hinges on the difference between actions in a theater of war versus criminal activity. War operates by a set of laws that allows for a great many normally criminal actions to take place, but still occurs under agreements as to what appropriate wartime activity. False surrender is therefore a war crime while killing an enemy combatant is not.

    Criminals don't really 'surrender,' as a technical legal matter. Arrest applies from the moment the cops say 'you're under arrest.' Or potentially before that, a judge or a sheriff can put out a warrant for an arrest without the subject's knowledge and they don't even have to be in the same country. Instead criminals 'cease resistance,' which means that law enforcement has to stop using force against them (though they generally apply restraints). If somewhat starts resisting again, then forcible restraint will be applied. But yes, the legal consequences of a few extra counts of 'resisting arrest' and 'assaulting an officer' aren't really all that significant for someone up against, for example, multiple murder charges. However, it does tend to be awfully easy to prove.

    In this particular circumstance assaulting and stealing from extraterrestrial criminals might be...jurisdictionally complicated to bring forward in court, but brawling with Archon racks up a significant rap sheet worth of charges all on its own.
    Im pretty sure that in war if you false surrender, the enemy is well within their rights to just shoot you dead the next time they see you, ignoring any other attempts you might make to surrender. That aside, Brut seems smart. He might try to escape, but I dont think he would return to the fight after being comprehensively shown why that would end badly for him. And max had a good plan, the problem is hench is now on a power trip and not listening to anyone else. I think a good solid pain causing hit will straighten her out of her " I AM INVINCIBLE!!!!!" mindset. A split lip and bloody nose has a way of reminding you that you are but mortal.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    That's an interesting point - what laws apply to interplanetary travelers? Does Earth need to sign a treaty for those laws to be in force on Earth? Or do the aliens assume you ought to know better?
    This will heavily depend on who you ask.

    Pretty much all Earth countries assume that if you are on their territory, you need to comply with the local law which will obviously not include any interplanetary treaties a given country is not part of. There will be a small setback with the paperwork as aliens will not have any legally recognized ID on them, but otherwise business as normal and the aliens would be expected to know better. For diplomatic reasons they would most likely be assigned some cultural liaisons to avoid at least some mistakes. That being said, the issue had to be solved in Grrl Power universe a long time ago, since aliens are fairly common on Earth already and their legal status is well defined as long as the case of them being aliens is not going public.

    On the other hand, the interplanetary laws might have a clause that they are to be respected even outside its bounds. For better or worse we also have examples of countries prosecuting people for crimes done outside said country regardless of what the local law said about given activities. From fictional examples, Prime Directive is precisely a law establishing how Federation members have to behave outside of Federation itself (specifically in contact with significantly less advanced civilizations). We know that the Xevoarchy also has similar laws in place, so that answers the question I guess.

    There are still some gray areas as for example the shopping trip to Fracture that Deus did was perfectly legal in Earth terms, but was very much illegal in light of Xevoarchy laws. If he did not have Alari refugees as coverup, there might be some serious legal disputes where the answer is dictated more by politics than anything else.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its not about holding back the vets, its about holding back excessive firepower unless its needed. You dont nuke every battlefield just because it would end the fight faster. You only deploy the heavy ordinance when its needed. Maxima is heavy ordinance. She is overkill for the majority of super fights. There is a reason the justice league has more than just superman, and that every fight doesnt end with, "And then superman showed up and bodied calendar man" Because not every fight needs to have him show up to end it in an instant.
    This is a more relevant argument when Superman isn't already present. "Why didn't Superman fly halfway around the world to punch this guy Batman is having trouble with" is a dumb question. "Why is Superman just eating popcorn on the sidelines while Batman wrestles a guy ten weight-classes up" is a very different and far less dumb question. The second question is also a whole lot less dumb if this fight has already featured that villain shooting a kryptonite laser at Superman. The council fight didn't have this issue, the parts of that fight Max wasn't present for had a good explanation for why she wasn't immediately showing up and solving everything. The superbrawl didn't have this issue, since that was a golden PR opportunity and they had so many members on hand anyway. But here...

    The heroes are having to deal with at least two hostile groups in the middle of NYC, which is also playing host to alien tourists. Maxima has already been severely hampered at one point during this engagement, albeit by a separate group entirely. The fight (at least to start out with) was focused on an attempt to kidnap her, that turned into what I believe is a second attempt to do the same thing. And the second group is primarily just one person with an unknown number of unknown powers. Maxima can't just punch people's heads off and sort out the paperwork later, but a three-way superbrawl in downtown NYC is a problem that so far she's being doing very little about. When the big guy surrendered and Hench-Wench didn't, that's about the moment where priorities shift, and not just cuz she has so many powers. Instead of taking the aliens seriously, or Hench-Wench seriously, or the fight location seriously, Maxima is trying to conduct an interrogation in the middle of a fight. It seems like misplaced priorities.

    The note at the bottom of the previous comic indicates that Maxima will be getting involved in the fight now, and while I wish she'd have done that prior to several city blocks going dark, so far there's be fairly minimal risk to the actual people living in the city, relatively speaking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I think a good solid pain causing hit will straighten her out of her " I AM INVINCIBLE!!!!!" mindset. A split lip and bloody nose has a way of reminding you that you are but mortal.
    This is my guess for how it's gonna go as well. Hench-Wench has high quantity, but not high quality. Idk if it's something Maxima has necessarily already thought of, but if any of the guys that hired her were Maxima-tier, they'd probably have shown up in-person. I'm expecting Hench-Wench is going to be reminded of Maxima's message to the world:

    "Since we're almost done here, I want to be sure I emphasize this. Superpowers are rare, and if you have them, chances are you're the only person you've ever met who has them. That isolation might have made you feel like you're the most powerful person on Earth. That you're unstoppable. That your power gives you primacy to hurt or rule over others. Well I promise you, we're more powerful."

    ...

    "They say superheroes are best defined by their gallery of rogues. I can promise you that our rogues will either be incarcerated...in traction...or interred."
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-12-01 at 03:44 PM.


    Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Unavenger's Upick

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Togliatti, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    I think that Maxima had reasonable cause to ignore HW as a priority, because she had the proven immediate threat under control, and had other people nearby who could handle her displayed powers. Geokinesis was not a power that was expected, and Max is entirely in the right to try to gain tactical information from her captive first, before dealing with HW - as HW has proven herself to be a powered rookie, whereas a skilled user of geokinesis can be a lot of trouble.

    Now that HW has drawn attention to herself, Maxima will indeed probably proceed to beat her down.

    ...

    Also, I can't be the only one remembering who we know of in this universe that has geokinesis powers, and definitely has enough wealth to maintain a company of supervillains.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And now this is turning into armchair quarterbacking. Yes, there are a bazaillion options she COULD pick to do, you who have had a literal month to consider the options, angles, and possibilities here, can theorycraft all the ways that could possibly work to decide the best one you think she should pick during the 5 minutes she has even been aware that a fight is going on (if that long). That doesnt make it a failure on the part of the comic author that he doesnt solve it the way you think it could be written to be solved. There are genuine justifications for max to not be the one to auto handle every scenario, and she chooses to hold back specifically to let the rest of the team handle what they can because she IS on a team. It isnt team maxima and a dozen cheerleaders. They are generally capable of handling 95% of the issues that come up without her being the golden savior swooping in to take care of every situation herself in some absurdly overpowered way. There is enough in universe justification given to explain why narratively speaking dave isnt going to have every fight be over in the blink of an eye. It doesnt have to be flawless reasoning with absolutely no other options possible, it just needs to make some logical sense, and it does. This is like bagging on lotr because "OMG WHY NOT HAVE TEH EAGULZ CARRY THEM TO MORDOR?!" Just enjoy the freaking story!
    I might be confusing you with someone else but I think this isn't the first time you brought the "months to consider" style argument against someone suggesting something that really doesn't take month to consider nor was considered for months. (In another thread but don't ask me which. Might have been someone else the last time it annoyed me.) In fact most people probably only think about it briefly when commenting on it probably not even more than "during the 5 minutes she has even been aware that a fight is going" (and often have neither training nor experience to make up plans). It is an annoying and silly strawman argument at least only bring it up when someone comes up with some complicated plan..

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Well that's a problem.


    Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Unavenger's Upick

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    So hey, remember those arguments about the usefulness of giving her gun training?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So hey, remember those arguments about the usefulness of giving her gun training?
    Considering how ineffective her gun was...
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Considering how ineffective her gun was...
    Thats rather beside the point. Access to her orbs was cut off and she still had a weapon which she knew how to use safely and (relatively) effectively.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2020-12-03 at 09:19 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Its actually not besides the point. Its more dead center on it.
    Since it turned out that ALL the difference gun training managed to do, was "A slight inconvenience"
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Togliatti, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Its actually not besides the point. Its more dead center on it.
    Since it turned out that ALL the difference gun training managed to do, was "A slight inconvenience"
    Do we know for sure that beheading Concretia's golem form doesn't at least temporarily drop her out of the golem? She has to get a new body when it is shattered completely, but we don't see the aftermath of Peggy's headshot on her in the original super fight.

    If she's forced to spend a few seconds diving into more stone to re-body herself now, that's still a "slight inconvenience" for her, but it's better than nothing, and might give Sydney time to fumble up a better distraction from her utility belt. Or possibly figure out a way to break the orbs out.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Do we know for sure that beheading Concretia's golem form doesn't at least temporarily drop her out of the golem? She has to get a new body when it is shattered completely, but we don't see the aftermath of Peggy's headshot on her in the original super fight.

    If she's forced to spend a few seconds diving into more stone to re-body herself now, that's still a "slight inconvenience" for her, but it's better than nothing, and might give Sydney time to fumble up a better distraction from her utility belt. Or possibly figure out a way to break the orbs out.
    More to the point, what happens when next time it isnt concretia, but somebody who actually would be incapacitated or otherwise seriously hampered by a gunshot to the head?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    More to the point, what happens when next time it isnt concretia, but somebody who actually would be incapacitated or otherwise seriously hampered by a gunshot to the head?
    Alright more to the point.
    You have already had a likely once in a lifetime occation of A) Sydney having someone else sneak up on her, who are B) able to block access to the orbs C) not bothering to knock Sydney out instead, and D) slow enough that Sydney can instead draw her gun and fire that?

    The answer is nothing. Nothing happens, because its unlikely to ever happen again.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Togliatti, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Alright more to the point.
    You have already had a likely once in a lifetime occation of A) Sydney having someone else sneak up on her, who are B) able to block access to the orbs C) not bothering to knock Sydney out instead, and D) slow enough that Sydney can instead draw her gun and fire that?

    The answer is nothing. Nothing happens, because its unlikely to ever happen again.
    The actual reason why it's unlikely to happen again is that countermeasures will be devised to prevent it from happening.

    Also, you don't really need much to stop Sydney from using the orbs for long enough to matter. She needs to directly touch their surface. Get the drop on her with a bucket of paint, and she's done. Either coat the orbs, or her hands, and she's limited to using them as limited range flails until she gets through whatever it was you used. And seeing as it's already happened twice, getting the drop on Sydney out of her bubble is not all that difficult.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2020-12-03 at 03:49 PM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    The actual reason why it's unlikely to happen again is that countermeasures will be devised to prevent it from happening.

    Also, you don't really need much to stop Sydney from using the orbs for long enough to matter. She needs to directly touch their surface. Get the drop on her with a bucket of paint, and she's done. Either coat the orbs, or her hands, and she's limited to using them as limited range flails until she gets through whatever it was you used. And seeing as it's already happened twice, getting the drop on Sydney out of her bubble is not all that difficult.
    More to the point is that Concretia disabled the orbs, but that was a dumb move. If she had done that same wrapping move on Sydney, than Sydney is completely helpless, and she isn't even slightly annoyed by the pistol shots.

    I mean, in this situation, an ordinary person could have been even more effective by simply putting a gun to Sydney's head, or even just tazing her. You get the drop of Sydney, you win.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2020-12-03 at 07:57 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    More to the point is that Concretia disabled the orbs, but that was a dumb move. If she had done that same wrapping move on Sydney, than Sydney is completely helpless, and she isn't even slightly annoyed by the pistol shots.

    I mean, in this situation, an ordinary person could have been even more effective by simply putting a gun to Sydney's head, or even just tazing her. You get the drop of Sydney, you win.
    If she does have something to incapacitate Sydney, then sure. But it simply might not be the case. I guess Sydney is a target of opportunity and not the goal of this operation.

    As for why the balls and not Sydney herself: going for Sydney could not be done covertly and I would guess that Concretia's powers are not fast enough for her to bet Sydney would not have enough time to call the balls to herself.

    In short: balls are a smaller target that is also conveniently out of Sydney's sight.
    Last edited by Radar; 2020-12-03 at 08:33 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    I think she needs to start training to maintain her constant movement of the orbs like when she fought math which would make it harder to trap the orbs, trap her, or even sneak attack her. Or, as an easier alternate, keep the shield orb in your hand at all times, even if not activated. Much faster reaction to surprise if she doesnt have to call the shield orb to hand before she can activate it. Not sure which might be better. The constant rotation of orbs all around her is harder to maintain, but makes attacking her harder because these orbs are in the way, and it also was shown by math that its possible to use that against her too. The shield in hand at all times option would make for quicker reaction, but sneak attacks are still a thing that would work. Take a lump of concrete to the back of the head with no warning and night night sydney.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •