New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

Yeah. And i mean. Its not impossible to steal Sydney. Archon isnt omnicent or omnipotent.
    But why the heck even bother trying?

As we can see. Supers, even fairly powerful ones, is something you hire on the grey market.
    While not provoking one of the more powerful super organisations on the planet.

So unless you have a plan that specifically requires Sydney for some plot reason.
    Then i actually think her value is negative. More trouble than its worth.

Alien technology meanwhile is priceless.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah. And i mean. Its not impossible to steal Sydney. Archon isnt omnicent or omnipotent.
    But why the heck even bother trying?

As we can see. Supers, even fairly powerful ones, is something you hire on the grey market.
    While not provoking one of the more powerful super organisations on the planet.

So unless you have a plan that specifically requires Sydney for some plot reason.
    Then i actually think her value is negative. More trouble than its worth.

Alien technology meanwhile is priceless.
    Its not completely impossible that the aliens know about sydneys orbs and want them. Cora was able to figure out they were disgustingly advanced hyper tech from the nth dimension or whatever. She was VERY adamant about keeping that possibility quiet. And sydney did a LOT of direct combat against whatever the heck that alien kaiju death fleet was, getting scanned at least once that we know of. Im not saying thats whats going on here, but I think it isnt outside the realm of possibility. Most likely? Im thinking deus using his connections to archon to find out about this, and his connection to various for hire super types to scavenge some tech that looked interesting. After all, this would hardly be the first time he has done this.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its not completely impossible that the aliens know about sydneys orbs and want them. Cora was able to figure out they were disgustingly advanced hyper tech from the nth dimension or whatever. She was VERY adamant about keeping that possibility quiet. And sydney did a LOT of direct combat against whatever the heck that alien kaiju death fleet was, getting scanned at least once that we know of. Im not saying thats whats going on here, but I think it isnt outside the realm of possibility. Most likely? Im thinking deus using his connections to archon to find out about this, and his connection to various for hire super types to scavenge some tech that looked interesting. After all, this would hardly be the first time he has done this.
    Deus knows very well that the best way to win a one-on-one fight is to be the third to arrive.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Deus knows very well that the best way to win a one-on-one fight is to be the third to arrive.
    Which covers this pretty well. The aliens showed up, then the super squad showed up (I dont think hench wench has shown concretia type powers yet so its more potential proof she is unaffiliated with them) and now here his minions are to scoop up breadcrumbs around the edges and do so in a professional and efficient manner. Its pretty textbook deus.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I dont think hench wench has shown concretia type powers yet so its more potential proof she is unaffiliated with them
    Since she's only shown a limited powerset, and the situation hasn't called for Concretia-type powers, perhaps a bit premature?

She's already got invulnerability and geomancy. IIRC, Concretia's powers are more like a limited geomancy - she can form a 'shell' for a physical body and manipulate stone and stone-like substances.

Shell isn't necessary when you're invulnerable except as 'ablative armor' for things that actually hurt (and they weren't expecting things that 'hurt'), and geomancy (like lobbing an entire pillar of earth, Avatar earthbender fashion, or flying pillars Edward Elric style) is better than just being able to manipulate concrete into shapes.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

I do think its exceptionally unlikely that the alien Kaiju's have managed to get contacts on earth they can manipulate into stealing stuff for them.
    Especially in such a short time.

I also think the time frame your putting up fits badly.
    Your intelligence network SUCKS if you need spies to find out there are aliens walking around in new york
    And i dont think the actual fighting had been going on for more than litterally a couple minuttes before the mercenaries stepped in.
    So i think that its more likely they to start with was in the area to steal alien tech.

Meaning that again its much more likely concretia is part of the team stealing alien technology.
    And they may, or may not work for Deus.

But actually. I think its unlikely. Just because Deus has his fingers in a lot of pies, then it does not mean his fingers are in all of them.
    Alien technology is a gigantic prize, that just about every power on earth are itching to get their fingers on.
    Heck, its not impossible a rival branch like the CIA would stage this to get a counter to Maxima.

I actually think thats more likely than Deus being behind this. Since Deus already completed his own master plan on that front.
    If he want Alien technology, he can just go on another shopping trip.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

But actually. I think its unlikely. Just because Deus has his fingers in a lot of pies, then it does not mean his fingers are in all of them.
    Alien technology is a gigantic prize, that just about every power on earth are itching to get their fingers on.
    Heck, its not impossible a rival branch like the CIA would stage this to get a counter to Maxima.

I actually think thats more likely than Deus being behind this. Since Deus already completed his own master plan on that front.
    If he want Alien technology, he can just go on another shopping trip.
    Again. It's entirely possible that a certain somebody, with known geokinetic/geomancy powers (that isn't Concretia, as far as we know), and a massive stash of wealth, could be behind this.

He's been mentioned all of once before, and doesn't have a name, but is definitely on Archon's radar as a potential threat (economically if nothing else), and would fit into this concept of a "supervillain LLC".
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Again. It's entirely possible that a certain somebody, with known geokinetic/geomancy powers (that isn't Concretia, as far as we know), and a massive stash of wealth, could be behind this.

He's been mentioned all of once before, and doesn't have a name, but is definitely on Archon's radar as a potential threat (economically if nothing else), and would fit into this concept of a "supervillain LLC".
    But what would be the point? He's already rich, and as you point out Archon already knows about him. He doesnt seem to have any ambitions of doing any actual harm so... what does he actually get out of this?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    But what would be the point? He's already rich, and as you point out Archon already knows about him. He doesnt seem to have any ambitions of doing any actual harm so... what does he actually get out of this?
    Exactly! He has as much money as he wants without having to work for it. He is also reasonable about it and takes only as much as he needs to maintain a comfortable life without disturbing the market. There is no reason whatsoever for such a person to risk everything by getting into criminal activity. There is nothing for him to gain and a lot to lose.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly! He has as much money as he wants without having to work for it. He is also reasonable about it and takes only as much as he needs to maintain a comfortable life without disturbing the market. There is no reason whatsoever for such a person to risk everything by getting into criminal activity. There is nothing for him to gain and a lot to lose.
    He could have been doing a lot with his money to gain power and influence. But he isnt.
    So yes. Does seem like he was just an example of someone with super powers being smart about it.

Also. No need to pull out new suspects.
    We still have a few spare faces on the suspect list.
    https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...um-steepleage/

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Sooo... I was archive binging a bit and I found this page. Apparently Sydney's flying orbs are strong enough to easily break troll arm. Not that it had any lasting effects, but it is quite a force.

Also, I only just noticed, that someone here is using Magic cards for actual magic (bottom panel, some purple lights in the air with cards all around). He even taped a land card.

12. - Top - End - #132

It was two exerting leverage to cause it to snap between the combined forces. I think thats still less than the amount to break through concrete. Especially without room for momentum to build or leverage to exert. Just rattling around inside a tight concrete orb isnt enough to do much.

13. - Top - End - #133

They are, however, indestructible. And can spin very quickly. It might take some concentration, but Sydney could more or less free the orbs by turning them into an angle grinder.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    They are, however, indestructible. And can spin very quickly. It might take some concentration, but Sydney could more or less free the orbs by turning them into an angle grinder.
    They are perfectly smooth and so have nothing grind with, and also, have never really shown that she can spin them at the super high speed needed to grind things down anyway. At the LOW end angle grinders spin 33 times per second.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

It was two exerting leverage to cause it to snap between the combined forces. I think thats still less than the amount to break through concrete. Especially without room for momentum to build or leverage to exert. Just rattling around inside a tight concrete orb isnt enough to do much.
    Hard to say really. For one, we do not have comparison between concrete and troll bones. The second point is that we do not know, how Sydney steers those orbs. Specifically, can they go from 0 to full speed, or do they need time to accelerate? Still, I think that the bigger problem is that Concretia might notice what Sydney was doing before the orbs are free (it is hard to crack concrete quietly) and counter that by applying more layers of trap or discourage Sydney from her attempts in a pointy or blunt manner.

They are perfectly smooth and so have nothing grind with, and also, have never really shown that she can spin them at the super high speed needed to grind things down anyway. At the LOW end angle grinders spin 33 times per second.
    Ball mills work with as perfectly smooth balls and cylinder lining as possible, so it is still possible - just need to apply solid pressure.
    Last edited by Radar; 2020-12-13 at 01:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

I find it kind of interesting that Concretia is engaging with Sydney on her own level- "Utility belts are fair game. Masks are against the rules." That's a pretty clear understanding of superhero tropes to be able to have an immediate, appropriate response. It also suggests that either Concretia is either a lot colder than previously indicated (heh... stone-cold), or that there might be something slightly less nefarious going on than there appears to be at first blush.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Ball mills work with as perfectly smooth balls and cylinder lining as possible, so it is still possible - just need to apply solid pressure.
    Still missing any sort of supporting evidence for, that the orbs can spin with the orders of magnitude higher speed than we have seen so far.

I find it kind of interesting that Concretia is engaging with Sydney on her own level- "Utility belts are fair game. Masks are against the rules." That's a pretty clear understanding of superhero tropes to be able to have an immediate, appropriate response. It also suggests that either Concretia is either a lot colder than previously indicated (heh... stone-cold), or that there might be something slightly less nefarious going on than there appears to be at first blush.
    A relevant observation. As it turns out Concretia is a hostage herself.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't see that one coming, I'll admit. Certainly explains why she was so gentle with Sydney.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Still missing any sort of supporting evidence for, that the orbs can spin with the orders of magnitude higher speed than we have seen so far.
    Agreed. Hence the first part of my previous post - we do not have enough information about how the orbs move.

A relevant observation. As it turns out Concretia is a hostage herself.
    Indeed. I hope there is a way to track her down so she can be helped. The question remains, who kidnapped her.

20. - Top - End - #140

The orbs' current maximum established velocity is around Mach 16, albeit while towing/towed by Sydney. We likewise have no evidence against the notion that they can travel just as fast relative to Sydney should she will them to.

Also that is a curious development. Given the setup I don't expect an immediate resolution. And the stasis pod will likely be stolen. But it'll be interesting to see what exactly happens.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

The orbs' current maximum established velocity is around Mach 16, albeit while towing/towed by Sydney.
    Yeah no, by that argument Sydney's shoes also have a maximum velocity of march 16.
    Those are 2 different modes of travel. And so should not be compared.

We likewise have no evidence against the notion that they can travel just as fast relative to Sydney should she will them to.
    And we absolutely have evidence against that notion. Several pieces actually.
    Sydney has toyed around with them a lot. She has never demonstrated the ability to make them move so fast they turn into a blur.
    If they could move at march 16, they would not have broken Sciona's arm. They would have taken it off cleanly.
    They would certainly have been able to explode out of their concrete prison had they been able to move faster than a bullet.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah no, by that argument Sydney's shoes also have a maximum velocity of march 16.
    Those are 2 different modes of travel. And so should not be compared.

And we absolutely have evidence against that notion. Several pieces actually.
    Sydney has toyed around with them a lot. She has never demonstrated the ability to make them move so fast they turn into a blur.
    If they could move at march 16, they would not have broken Sciona's arm. They would have taken it off cleanly.
    They would certainly have been able to explode out of their concrete prison had they been able to move faster than a bullet.
    Youre confusing maximum velocity with acceleration. A racecar going at full speed is going to be able to tear its way through a garage door, albeit with considerable damage to both. A racecar starting from a dead stop in a garage is going to dent the garage door, at worst.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Youre confusing maximum velocity with acceleration. A racecar going at full speed is going to be able to tear its way through a garage door, albeit with considerable damage to both. A racecar starting from a dead stop in a garage is going to dent the garage door, at worst.
    We also have never once seen her manipulate the orbs at high speed. Every time she manually moves them around its at best fastball speeds, From dealing with math to clonking people with them in the head or crotch, she has never once moved them very fast. At least not even remotely at mach speeds.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Since there's a lot of players out there with different abilities - maybe someone knows how to separate Sydney from the orbs, and doesn't want to kill her for reasons (such as the wrath of Archon, kindness, maybe want to interrogate her, Concretia made it part of the bargain, yada yada).

What doesn't make sense to me about the alien power pod being the reason is that it's really too soon to pull that plan together. Dabbler pulled the pod from the machine, handed it to Sydney and asked her to hide it how many minutes ago in-strip? Five? And in that duration unknown baddies

1. realize there's a valuable theft to be made,
    2. deploy Concretia who somehow follows flying Halo although flight is not a power we've seen her use,
    3. give Concretia instructions on how to handle the situation and a contact number

The list of known baddies who are that smart, organized, and capable of keeping Concretia's body away from her is ... Deus? Sciona? Not so many.

So I think it's NOT the power supply. Someone was after Sydney, and knew where she might show up.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

25. - Top - End - #145

There's also the factor that the power supply is not, in fact, in the box- Dabbler 'ported it to her lab, so Sydney doesn't have it.

However, Concretia had to have followed Sydney in some fashion, or else have a precog guiding her, because Sydney went to a random place to hide something she didn't know existed less than twenty minutes previously. So if Sydney herself didn't know she was going there, I don't think Concretia could have been there waiting for her (unless, of course, like I said, precog).

There seems to be another layer at play here, since Concretia herself isn't a willing participant.

... also, either Concretia is smarter and a lot more patient than she originally seemed to be, there's someone very clever behind her, since the whole 'lock Sydney in place via the orbs' thing isn't exactly widely known. Then again, I can see her approaching this carefully, since she was humbled pretty thoroughly by Math, and she seems willing enough to learn from her mistakes.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Since there's a lot of players out there with different abilities - maybe someone knows how to separate Sydney from the orbs, and doesn't want to kill her for reasons (such as the wrath of Archon, kindness, maybe want to interrogate her, Concretia made it part of the bargain, yada yada).

What doesn't make sense to me about the alien power pod being the reason is that it's really too soon to pull that plan together. Dabbler pulled the pod from the machine, handed it to Sydney and asked her to hide it how many minutes ago in-strip? Five? And in that duration unknown baddies

1. realize there's a valuable theft to be made,
    2. deploy Concretia who somehow follows flying Halo although flight is not a power we've seen her use,
    3. give Concretia instructions on how to handle the situation and a contact number

The list of known baddies who are that smart, organized, and capable of keeping Concretia's body away from her is ... Deus? Sciona? Not so many.

So I think it's NOT the power supply. Someone was after Sydney, and knew where she might show up.
    I think you are being a bit too specific here in both possible goals. If the idea was to loot, than it was not about stasis pod or its power source - it was about any alien tech they could get their hands on. Concretia might still be working with Brut and Hench Wench.

If it was about kidnapping, targeting specifically Sydney in a moment, when she is close to Maxima and quite a lot of other supers is a bad idea. Nobody could count on Sydney going away from the others alone. This plan hinges on Dabbler asking her to hide the stasis pod, so it could not have been planned in advance just as much as stealing precisely the stasis pod could not.

I think capturing Sydney was just a lucky opportunity for either Concretia (if she wants to get some help with her problem) or Concretia's captors. Which way things will go, we will learn soon I guess.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

We also have never once seen her manipulate the orbs at high speed. Every time she manually moves them around its at best fastball speeds, From dealing with math to clonking people with them in the head or crotch, she has never once moved them very fast. At least not even remotely at mach speeds.
    Given the short distance from her they can be moved, acceleration is still the limiting factor there unless she wants to create some sort of defense of hypersonic orbs flying around her in a tight circle, and at that point i think she would be more likely to hurt herself than anybody else.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So ... Concretia has had no body for a long time. Long enough to miss various forms of carnal stimulation. And she's coming around to the idea of letting the good guys help her with her problem.

"You're losing your audience here".
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

No im not confusing anything.
    And your actually quite wrong. Garage doors are often flimsy garbage made of wood. While you dont get a high maximum velocity without powerful acceleration.
    So no. Even from a dead stop the racecar should leave a nice hole in the door.
    And the same would apply to theoretical orbs able to move on their own at march 16.

Given the short distance from her they can be moved, acceleration is still the limiting factor there unless she wants to create some sort of defense of hypersonic orbs flying around her in a tight circle, and at that point i think she would be more likely to hurt herself than anybody else.
    So... now your arguing against march 16 balls? Make up your mind

I think you are being a bit too specific here in both possible goals. If the idea was to loot, than it was not about stasis pod or its power source - it was about any alien tech they could get their hands on. Concretia might still be working with Brut and Hench Wench.

If it was about kidnapping, targeting specifically Sydney in a moment, when she is close to Maxima and quite a lot of other supers is a bad idea. Nobody could count on Sydney going away from the others alone. This plan hinges on Dabbler asking her to hide the stasis pod, so it could not have been planned in advance just as much as stealing precisely the stasis pod could not.

I think capturing Sydney was just a lucky opportunity for either Concretia (if she wants to get some help with her problem) or Concretia's captors. Which way things will go, we will learn soon I guess.
    Oh yeah certainly.
    The moment you got aliens walking around in new york, you got the chance to steal priceless pieces of technology.
    Its no piece of genius to hire a few super powered mercenaris then. And make them keep an eye open for targets of oppotunity.

At that point. When you already have Concretia's energy projection hovering in the area.
    Then Sydney flying off on her own with stolen tech is just a target of oppotunity.
    As we also see on Concretia having to steal a smartphone to call for a pickup. Thats not Xanatos level planning.
    Thats improvisation on the spot.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As we also see on Concretia having to steal a smartphone to call for a pickup. Thats not Xanatos level planning. Thats improvisation on the spot.
    Any level of planning that would require them predicting that Sydney would go to that particular building and that specific floor would be absolutely ridiculous in a predictive model.

"She has a cell phone, so if she leaves with any tech, subdue her and use her phone to contact us. Remember this number."
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.