New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

Now, i wonder if her revealing she has concretias powers will trigger anything? I dont know if she was actually caught after the super brawl, considering her real body wasnt there. It may be that only math anvil sydney and peggy would even recognize her due to how fast she was beaten and then just kinda vanished.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    HW may be a fairly smart fighter, but Max is a VERY smart fighter as seen in the last panel.
    She's a smart, fast, and most importantly experienced fighter. Plus exposure to Sydney made her even more resistant to confusion-based sneak attacks. :P
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

This is an interesting legal question - if HW has Concertia's powers, that means that Concretia is one of her employers. But it's been clearly established that Concretia is an unwilling servant of Jerkface Maximus, and I doubt she's part of the LLC. If it can be proven that Concretia is acting under duress, does that legally mean that Concretia is not an employer of HW, and therefore HW loses her powers?

That's the sort of trick Sydney might try, if she were here.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    This is an interesting legal question - if HW has Concertia's powers, that means that Concretia is one of her employers. But it's been clearly established that Concretia is an unwilling servant of Jerkface Maximus, and I doubt she's part of the LLC. If it can be proven that Concretia is acting under duress, does that legally mean that Concretia is not an employer of HW, and therefore HW loses her powers?

That's the sort of trick Sydney might try, if she were here.
    I mean, that would imply the way her powers work is according to a specific nations contract law. For all we know its a written version of varia. If she writes her name down, willingly or not, her powers are a part of the llc. Obviously concretia has to personally sign or else this power would be utterly broken as hench wench death notes her way to owning all the powers of every super on earth by writing their full names down herself. *EDIT* Or, the alternate way is, concretias "boss" can sign for everyone that works for him. So if deus signed, every super under his employ would get added to hench wenches arsenal.
    Last edited by Traab; 2021-01-04 at 10:30 AM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

HW may be a fairly smart fighter, but Max is a VERY smart fighter as seen in the last panel.
    Smart
    No that does not show anything about being smart.
    Just that Max is faster and stronger than HW. But we already knew that.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Smart
    No that does not show anything about being smart.
    Just that Max is faster and stronger than HW. But we already knew that.
    Moving out of the way when someone's punching you is pretty smart though.

On the other hand, standing where a dodged attack results in a friendly fire incident isn't
    Doubly so if you are hitting yourself.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #187

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I mean, that would imply the way her powers work is according to a specific nations contract law. For all we know its a written version of varia. If she writes her name down, willingly or not, her powers are a part of the llc. Obviously concretia has to personally sign or else this power would be utterly broken as hench wench death notes her way to owning all the powers of every super on earth by writing their full names down herself. *EDIT* Or, the alternate way is, concretias "boss" can sign for everyone that works for him. So if deus signed, every super under his employ would get added to hench wenches arsenal.
    HW did say that she got the supers hiring her to form an LLC so that she got all their powers, which I think means the "boss" idea is out. He could be the CEO of the LLC, mind you, but the other supers have to join. I imagine they asked Concretia to join while someone's thumb hovered over the "Bad Girl" button.

You are right, though, that it may not be a matter of law, but of consent, however dubious said consent may be.

If it's a matter of law, it would be hilarious indeed if HW crossed a national boundary and lost powers because the contract was not enforceable there.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

8. - Top - End - #188

If it's a matter of law, it would be hilarious indeed if HW crossed a national boundary and lost powers because the contract was not enforceable there.

"Welcome to Canada, idiot."

Sorry, it seemed necessary.

Yeah, Concretia-wench raises all kinds of questions, not all of them regarding contract law. Can Concretia animate both bodies simultaneously, or is that some kind of power interaction that Henchwench got by some other villain having super-coordination powers or something?

As an aside, is it just me, or do the "Max is confused" panels give her a very weird face? The wide eyes just don't look quite right to me, like her entire face is distorted.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Moving out of the way when someone's punching you is pretty smart though.
    Your bar for smart is exceptionally low if thats your view of not standing still when someone tries to punch you

You are right, though, that it may not be a matter of law, but of consent, however dubious said consent may be.

I repeat my point that HW's power is exceptionally dumb. And 4th wall breaking.

As an aside, is it just me, or do the "Max is confused" panels give her a very weird face? The wide eyes just don't look quite right to me, like her entire face is distorted.
    I just think she looks confused.

10. - Top - End - #190

SamuraiGuy

Your bar for smart is exceptionally low if thats your view of not standing still when someone tries to punch you

I just think she looks confused.
    I would be fine with "can reproduce one person's powers with their consent". The LLC bit is stupid.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And yet I often feel the bar is still too high...
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-01-05 at 10:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

How does Hench Wench's power break the fourth wall? Breaking the fourth wall means that the characters are aware that they're in a work of fiction. I don't see how that's going on here. Am I missing something, or are you using a different definition of breaking the fourth wall?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

I would be fine with "can reproduce one person's powers with their consent". The LLC bit is stupid.
    Yeah. That would have been a perfectly acceptable power. And still in tune with her concept.

How does Hench Wench's power break the fourth wall? Breaking the fourth wall means that the characters are aware that they're in a work of fiction. I don't see how that's going on here. Am I missing something, or are you using a different definition of breaking the fourth wall?
    You can look at a wall from 2 different sides.
    In this case the power is sufficiently dumb that it cracks the suspension of disbelief, making the world of the comic seem less like a consistent world with super powers, and more like a messy story.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah. That would have been a perfectly acceptable power. And still in tune with her concept.
    Seems a bit boring really. Cheating the system to get multiple powers is way more interesting.

You can look at a wall from 2 different sides.
    In this case the power is sufficiently dumb that it cracks the suspension of disbelief, making the world of the comic seem less like a consistent world with super powers, and more like a messy story.
    According to you I guess.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

15. - Top - End - #195

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Seems a bit boring really. Cheating the system to get multiple powers is way more interesting.

It's weird that a Super Power knows about contracts. That's more magic than Super. It'd be the sort of thing I'd expect demons to cook up than a Super.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's weird that a Super Power knows about contracts. That's more magic than Super. It'd be the sort of thing I'd expect demons to cook up than a Super.
    I mean we know basically next to nothing about the how and why of superpowers. Something, something mankind's aggregate subconsciousness, bla bla partially rooted in bearer's understanding, insert paragraph about nonhuman ancestors, next step in human evolution, interdimensional parasite space whales...
    No wait, the last one is silly.

And if Maxima's powers are connected to funky rock juice HW's might similarly connected to the gentlepeople downstairs.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Ahem.. yes.. because.. quoting myself

Here the key word is MY point. That means its ME thats saying it.
    That in turn strongly implies its My oppinion. And not a universal truth.
    THAT IS ACCORDING TO ME. In case it wasnt clear enough.

And if Maxima's powers are connected to funky rock juice HW's might similarly connected to the gentlepeople downstairs.
    Maxima has a perfectly valid explanation in alien symbiont encountered in fluid form. Her power is quite logical as super powers go.
    Sadly though Dabbler we know the "gentlepeople" isnt downstairs. They are in space. So they are a bad power source.

Suspension of disbelief is already regularly shaken by a kitchen sink world setting (not that Marvel/DC is better there).
    A super power that knows about contracts, enough to value fine print over intention, strains it past the breaking point.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Maxima has a perfectly valid explanation in alien symbiont encountered in fluid form. Her power is quite logical as super powers go.
    Sadly though Dabbler we know the "gentlepeople" isnt downstairs. They are in space. So they are a bad power source.
    Yea the geode juice space alien binding really does make sooo much more sense then power copying working on everyone you work for instead of just your direct manager or something. My suspension of disbelief is just gone. How could Dave do this to us!
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    interdimensional parasite space whales...
    I understood that reference! :P

But, really, the powers in this universe are extremely varied. And there's no shortage of metapowers of different scales and operating principles (Death Toll, Jabberwocky, Varia). So who knows how exactly HW's powers work, it could be almost anything.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are they?
    I'm genuinely asking, because my understanding was that, while Dabbler is part space alien*, demons are from elsewhere in origin.
    Extradimensional instead of extraterrestrial.
    Or something.

*Wasn't she a succubus/alien/shapeshifter mix?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Yeah, Dabbler is a mix of demon and an alien. She identifies as succubus though. There are large groups of extradimensional/demons around but they tend to to stay out of sight and busy with their own wars.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I understood that reference! :P

But, really, the powers in this universe are extremely varied. And there's no shortage of metapowers of different scales and operating principles (Death Toll, Jabberwocky, Varia). So who knows how exactly HW's powers work, it could be almost anything.
    Death toll is an interesting case as his power is to auto counter any power he is faced with. Its not even like with varia needing to make contact to unlock a power, he doesnt take a hit then counter it, he just flat out counters it. So yeah, we have seen a number of unusual powers that when you stop and think about them, they make no logical sense. Seems odd that this is the end of the suspension of disbelief. Though I do admit its a bit of a silly setup. A more rational one would be, she is like a psychic mystique in that she can form a link with a number of willing people and that lets her borrow their powers as her body adapts to utilize them. Make it have to be willing to form the link and that gives her a lot of power but also a weakness that blocks her from getting ALL the power.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

This isn't really a "i cant believe the author screwed up so badoy" complaint as much as a minor statement of preference, but I think I'd prefer if the "oh no you punched my soul out of my body" comic came before all the sydney/concretia stuff. Just a little touch of foreshadowing would be mmmmm lovely.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

New page
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think we just got a confirmation that Sydney got the word out. Those guys will be very sorry that Cora is the first responder.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #205

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    New page
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think we just got a confirmation that Sydney got the word out. Those guys will be very sorry that Cora is the first responder.
    The Halo Industrial Complex is on the job!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Are they?
    I'm genuinely asking, because my understanding was that, while Dabbler is part space alien*, demons are from elsewhere in origin.
    Extradimensional instead of extraterrestrial.
    Or something.

*Wasn't she a succubus/alien/shapeshifter mix?
    I thought Dabbler (or the author in comments) said that demons were just aliens from a particular planet. Is that inaccurate?

I admit the world-building seems a bit flimsy (as kinda follows some superhero comics, so excusable perhaps) in whether or not demons are extra-dimensional or just aliens and, likewise, how they differ from other aliens... but wasn't that something like some aliens made a deal with "other worldly beings" and the residue from that is what made them demons. And other aliens did with the other side and are angels? I think I recall a comic going into those details, probably when Sidney asked Dabbler how demons exist.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I thought Dabbler (or the author in comments) said that demons were just aliens from a particular planet. Is that inaccurate?

I admit the world-building seems a bit flimsy (as kinda follows some superhero comics, so excusable perhaps) in whether or not demons are extra-dimensional or just aliens and, likewise, how they differ from other aliens... but wasn't that something like some aliens made a deal with "other worldly beings" and the residue from that is what made them demons. And other aliens did with the other side and are angels? I think I recall a comic going into those details, probably when Sidney asked Dabbler how demons exist.
    Dabbler showed us that the world works a lot like D&D with the various planes all around us, but space travel is also a thing. So perhaps extra-planar is a better term for them. Aliens are on our plane, demons, angels, cthulu style entities, the astral plane, all their own thing. EDIT Here we go. It seems it was less a discussion of planes and more how other being access magic.
    Last edited by Traab; 2021-01-07 at 05:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Y'know, you'd think that Cora of all people would get that being able to just cut loose once in a while is fun for Max. And it's at least remotely possible that Max knows that all the aliens haven't absconded, and is putting on a show as a deterrent. But I suspect mostly Max is having a good time.

... actually, thinking about it, Max seems to have realized that Henchwench is sticking to her punchy-type powers while Max is in close, so this might also be a way of limiting collateral.

29. - Top - End - #209

SamuraiGuy

I feel it is a good thing Alari Nanny Disks are not available on earth. A really, really good thing.

I don't know why Cora feels she has to sleep with what's-his-name, but evidently there's a price to be paid for leaving him to guard the captives.

And now Cora is going to show up, possibly with Dabbler, and save Halo. I think Sydney's advice was sound; the baddies should start running because the can of whoop-ass that is about to be opened is restaurant sized.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I feel it is a good thing Alari Nanny Disks are not available on earth. A really, really good thing.

I don't know why Cora feels she has to sleep with what's-his-name, but evidently there's a price to be paid for leaving him to guard the captives.

And now Cora is going to show up, possibly with Dabbler, and save Halo. I think Sydney's advice was sound; the baddies should start running because the can of whoop-ass that is about to be opened is restaurant sized.
    The commentary in the bottom seems to suggest that she doesnt feel obligated to (and may not intend to), but that she was just saying so to distract him from actually wondering where she was about to go.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”