New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

It may be also that she kinda wants to. Im pretty sure both she and dabbler have spent the night at least once, and they enjoy the hulked out form he has. They hate his personality. But hey, every now and then its nice to go with a chippendales dancer even if he is as bright as a coal mine at midnight. Or in this case a worlds strongest man contestant whose personality annoys you.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Comic updates twice a week.

Another update 2/3 wasted on a side joke.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It may be also that she kinda wants to. Im pretty sure both she and dabbler have spent the night at least once, and they enjoy the hulked out form he has. They hate his personality. But hey, every now and then its nice to go with a chippendales dancer even if he is as bright as a coal mine at midnight. Or in this case a worlds strongest man contestant whose personality annoys you.
    Considering she hangs around with Dabbler the personality probably isn't even that much of a turnoff for her. Just something she prefers to be around in moderation.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Considering she hangs around with Dabbler the personality probably isn't even that much of a turnoff for her. Just something she prefers to be around in moderation.
    No, it very much so is a turnoff for both of them. Its just that apparently they REALLY like his beast mode form.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Heh. Shades of Hitchhiker's Guide when they gave the guy an overdose of truth serum and he started telling the WHOLE truth.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Why do I get the impression that Sydney is doing this deliberately? If she is, she weaponized her ADHD. And I keep forgetting that the author suffers from it.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Heh. Shades of Hitchhiker's Guide when they gave the guy an overdose of truth serum and he started telling the WHOLE truth.
    There is also Chunk from Goonies. Also a very nice take on it in an unfortunately obscure story by Stanisław Lem where a pirate stealing knowledge was tricked to accept a gift that was, without ever stoping, writing down all the truth in the universe... without any particular order or regard for relevance.

As it is, Sydney has barely any filter without the addition of truth serum, so they got what they deserve here.
    Last edited by Radar; 2021-01-14 at 08:07 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Why do I get the impression that Sydney is doing this deliberately? If she is, she weaponized her ADHD. And I keep forgetting that the author suffers from it.
    Ive seen this done in stories before, primarily fanfics. Wonder woman has the mc in her lasso and so he just decides to endlessly ramble to try and buy time for an escape attempt, or he starts using the truth as a weapon to hurt the league with because being a self insert comic nerd, he has a LOT of information on very private, personal, and painful information on the league as he basically lets them know that he does have this knowledge and if they continue to force him to speak the truth, he will make them bleed with it. Other options being to answer in ways that are true but not what they want to know.

"Why are you here?!"
    "Because you have me tied up and wont let me leave."

That sort of thing. Its fun to see the different ways writers come up with to deal with being forced to tell the truth. As for sydney, its honestly hard to tell if this is on purpose or if its just a strange drug interaction with her adhd causing this outpouring of everything. After all, she does tend to go stream of consciousness from time to time, so by removing what few controls she has over her talking, this is the reasonable result. "Tell us about dabbler" is all that was needed to trigger it.

9. - Top - End - #219

SamuraiGuy

We don't know what they asked, and we don't need to know for it to be funny - but my best guess is "Who is Dabbler?" or something like that. But instead of Dabbler, they are going to get Cora. Who, come to think of it, is probably more willing to kill them than Dabbler is. They really should be running.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

My first thought was that Sydney has gone full Vorkosigan, as borne out by many of the commenters on the comic page. I guess that's a more deeply rooted bit of science fiction true serum than HGttG in my head.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I can see it as a mix of her trying to "weaponize" her ADHD, and maybe the serum interacting with her meds. If I recall correctly, most of those medicines help by increasing the ability to focus. So it might be that she's in-depth drilling down into a focused trail of info.

More likely, it's just the latter or that this is a funny scene, but that's a psuedo-medical reason that occurred to me, so I felt like sharing.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The more I think about drug interaction the more worried I get. Some drug interactions can be VERY nasty.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I can see it as a mix of her trying to "weaponize" her ADHD, and maybe the serum interacting with her meds. If I recall correctly, most of those medicines help by increasing the ability to focus. So it might be that she's in-depth drilling down into a focused trail of info.
    Well, yes. Dextroamphetamine-Amphetamine (Adderall) is a stimulant, after all.

So you take someone who's already on a stimulant, then you stimulate them further into a stream of consciousness drug?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The more I think about drug interaction the more worried I get. Some drug interactions can be VERY nasty.
    I like the idea that its actually a placebo, and Sydney just really does have this kind of train of thought.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I like the idea that its actually a placebo, and Sydney just really does have this kind of train of thought.
    Aside from the lower left panel where she's starting to panic because she can't catch her breath due to the constant talking...

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think by the time Cora shows up those villains will surrender voluntarily.
    And spill all the beans for a nice quiet cell with no weirdos with verbal diarrhoea.
    "Mistakes were made."The baddies.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

"Truth serums" are sedatives - they work by squashing your inhibitions to such a point where you just blurt out the first thing to come into your head.

So, Sydney is basically on stimulants and sedatives at the same time. That is, uh. Not good.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    "Truth serums" are sedatives - they work by squashing your inhibitions to such a point where you just blurt out the first thing to come into your head.

So, Sydney is basically on stimulants and sedatives at the same time. That is, uh. Not good.
    I kinda hope we get a after action report where Sydney has to mime things out because her throat is sore.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I kinda hope we get a after action report where Sydney has to mime things out because her throat is sore.
    She has her lighthook for that. Its already proven useful at delivering messages lol.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    "Truth serums" are sedatives.
    More to the point, most are benzodiazepines.

There's a reason why they really don't like mixing, say, Adderall and Xanax...

21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Am I the only one that's amused that even in the middle of all this, Sydney managed to rip on her captors again?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Well. As a side note we were given the answer to the whole deal with the spell getting stuck on Jabberwork.

And a little neat detail is how Sydney's eyes changes.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Am I the only one that's amused that even in the middle of all this, Sydney managed to rip on her captors again?
    My first thought was 'if you pass out, you should still be breathing. Just like if you pass out from holding your breath, you autonomic system takes over and you don't require CPR.'
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

My first thought was 'if you pass out, you should still be breathing. Just like if you pass out from holding your breath, you autonomic system takes over and you don't require CPR.'
    Thats a very smart point.
    And ill certainly give Sydney a pass for not being able to think about that.

25. - Top - End - #235

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Thats a very smart point.
    And ill certainly give Sydney a pass for not being able to think about that.
    Becoming hypoxic is frightening even if you know you'll get better. The brain doesn't like the feeling of insufficient O2. I've taken flatlanders up to the top of Mt. Evans (14k feet) or even Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park (almost 12k feet) and they don't like exerting themselves at all. It's a weird feeling.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

So. While the idea of doing a highlander on Sydney is of course initially rather enticing.
    Then it should really have triggered what a death sentence it is.
    As those orbs would more or less become a glowing arrow saying "i killed an archon member in cold blood"

Of course. Could also see only the lead moron were dumb enough to think it was worth it.
    His assistant had the right idea.

27. - Top - End - #237

So. While the idea of doing a highlander on Sydney is of course initially rather enticing.
    As those orbs would more or less become a glowing arrow saying "i killed an archon member in cold blood"

Of course. Could also see only the lead moron were dumb enough to think it was worth it.
    On the other hand, those orbs are really powerful. If they had the slightest clue what they are really capable of, it would probably be worth the risk of enraging archon. Those orbs make you an intergalactic space ship with tech more advanced than anything actual space faring for centuries races are capable of, and thats just with like 10% of the options unlocked. Keep in mind we are just finishing up a like, three way brawl for the chance to physically take maxima and/or any tech they can nab. There are PLENTY of groups that would take on the risk of retribution if it got them the orbs.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

I begin to wonder, how this guy became the boss of his group. I would guess he was the one with the money to finance the criminal endeavor. I could also envision him being unknowingly manipulated into a role of a handy scapegoat by someone else pulling the strings in secret.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

29. - Top - End - #239

SamuraiGuy

The guy with the gun may be a "sergeant" - he leads this particular deployed squad, but he's not the top of the food chain. I still think someone with money and brains is behind this.
    And yes, Halo was weaponizing ADHD and just trying to keep talking until the rescue team arrived. Definitely smarter than the average superhero, is our Sydney.
    "Retired" is such a weird euphemism for "murdered".
    Sydney's face in the next-to-last panel is her"you have made your last mistake a-hole" face.
    Per text, next page (Thursday) we get to see an angry Cora / Dabbler do very angry things to bad guys. There. Will. Be. Blood.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    On the other hand, those orbs are really powerful. If they had the slightest clue what they are really capable of, it would probably be worth the risk of enraging archon. Those orbs make you an intergalactic space ship with tech more advanced than anything actual space faring for centuries races are capable of, and thats just with like 10% of the options unlocked. Keep in mind we are just finishing up a like, three way brawl for the chance to physically take maxima and/or any tech they can nab. There are PLENTY of groups that would take on the risk of retribution if it got them the orbs.
    I mean, kinda. It is a lot of power, but they can't be put down. So you'd effectively be giving up any ability to have a normal life at the same time. It might be useful to try and get a minion with the orbs, but then the minion has that problem, and now the minion is a lot stronger than you.

It is certainly worth it for an alien to do so, as they can just leave the planet after taking the orbs.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show