Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 500
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I mean, kinda. It is a lot of power, but they can't be put down. So you'd effectively be giving up any ability to have a normal life at the same time. It might be useful to try and get a minion with the orbs, but then the minion has that problem, and now the minion is a lot stronger than you.

    It is certainly worth it for an alien to do so, as they can just leave the planet after taking the orbs.
    You can literally put them in an oversized purse. She carted them around in a poster tube when she wanted to keep them hidden. Be known for wearing a backpack and you can go anywhere without attracting notice and have the orbs right there if you need them. They cant be detected by any means we have seen so far, so unless you are an idiot running around with them in full halo mode over your head you are nice and incognito. *EDIT* As for this comic, I think sydney just earned some more respect points with the arcswat crew. Taking a beating, even a mild one, while defenseless and keeping your head is really impressive. Especially once death became a serious possibility. She has toughened up a bit since the sciona troll blood incident. Assuming she doesnt have a breakdown once the adrenaline crash happens.
    Last edited by Traab; 2021-01-18 at 03:01 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    She has toughened up a bit since the sciona troll blood incident. Assuming she doesnt have a breakdown once the adrenaline crash happens.
    Being able to stave off the imminent breakdown long enough to properly handle a life-or-death situation is still a testament to mental toughness IMO. Once you are safe again it might actually be a healthy thing to let it all out one way or the other.

    I guess it is similar to how for example long distance runners or skiers often happen to pretty much collapse after crossing the finish line. They push through to the very end and after that they let the exhaustion set in.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    I think Sydney told us how she got her head together - there's nothing quite like being abandoned on a dead planet filled with killer robots to toughen you up. Compared to that level of despair and danger, one bully with a pistol and delusions of toughness is not so bad, especially when you know very lethal help is on the way.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    It is certainly worth it for an alien to do so, as they can just leave the planet after taking the orbs.
    Yeah the situation is completely different for someone who can flee off planet.

    You can literally put them in an oversized purse. She carted them around in a poster tube when she wanted to keep them hidden. Be known for wearing a backpack and you can go anywhere without attracting notice and have the orbs right there if you need them. They cant be detected by any means we have seen so far, so unless you are an idiot running around with them in full halo mode over your head you are nice and incognito.
    Not that incognito. And you need to keep the orbs concealed for the rest of your life. You cant allow anyone from the public to ever get a glimpse of them.
    The orbs are unique enough that they should be known all over the world. And tell whoever spots them, that this person killed a super heroine to steal her tools.
    So just about any use of them not conducted in a empty desert will send up a signal beacon to the Goddess of Ash.
    Who honestly might be vendictive enough to decide you "resisted" arrest.

    Being able to stave off the imminent breakdown long enough to properly handle a life-or-death situation is still a testament to mental toughness IMO. Once you are safe again it might actually be a healthy thing to let it all out one way or the other.
    It is quite impressive how well she is stalling for time.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Not that incognito. And you need to keep the orbs concealed for the rest of your life. You cant allow anyone from the public to ever get a glimpse of them.
    The orbs are unique enough that they should be known all over the world. And tell whoever spots them, that this person killed a super heroine to steal her tools.
    So just about any use of them not conducted in a empty desert will send up a signal beacon to the Goddess of Ash.
    Who honestly might be vendictive enough to decide you "resisted" arrest.
    It's similar to how stupid it would be to steal for example Mona Lisa. Sure, you now have an invaluable work of art, but what would you do with it? Would there be anyone willing to pay for it and risk immediate prosecution the moment the painting is seen by anyone?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It's similar to how stupid it would be to steal for example Mona Lisa. Sure, you now have an invaluable work of art, but what would you do with it? Would there be anyone willing to pay for it and risk immediate prosecution the moment the painting is seen by anyone?
    There is, unfortunately, a black market for high end art. Rich jerks put it in their home where it is only seen by other rich jerks who are fine with it being a stolen treasure.

    Sydney's orbs might appeal to certain rich jerks. You don't use them, you just have them in a vault and take delight in knowing that you have high-end alien technology in your vault, and you can go look at them when it pleases you. Similar to a priceless work of art, your pleasure is derived in part from keeping something special hidden away from lesser beings. If they deserved to see it, they'd be rich. Deus just might be that far down the path of rich jerkiness.

    As Lord K. pointed out, the bigger problem is that Sydney has friends, and aside from the value of the orbs, her friends will want to avenge her death. I can think of few things scarier than the thought of Maxima and Dabbler standing side by side looking at Sydney's corpse and vowing terrible vengeance no matter how long it takes.

    How long will Dabbler live, anyway? Do alien / succubus hybrids even age? She might find you 50 years from now.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah the situation is completely different for someone who can flee off planet.



    Not that incognito. And you need to keep the orbs concealed for the rest of your life. You cant allow anyone from the public to ever get a glimpse of them.
    The orbs are unique enough that they should be known all over the world. And tell whoever spots them, that this person killed a super heroine to steal her tools.
    So just about any use of them not conducted in a empty desert will send up a signal beacon to the Goddess of Ash.
    Who honestly might be vendictive enough to decide you "resisted" arrest.


    It is quite impressive how well she is stalling for time.
    Yeah and if said person actually worked at mastering using the orbs they might very well be able to stand against the goddess of ash on equal terms. Sydney is already capable of ludicrous speeds in atmosphere and interstellar travel. Her shield tanks literal block busting blasts before showing signs of damage and then regenerates in a couple seconds. She can teleport, hurl 15 ton weights, cut through tanks like butter, etc etc etc. And these are just the level of abilities we know about right now with dozens of upgrades to go for all of them. Now, imagine someone like say, vehemence, who now has these orbs. Finished shuddering in terror yet? These orbs raise a plain jane out of shape young woman into the top tier of arcswat automatically. Just think what a driven super villain who already has their own effective powers might do with them? Yes, these orbs are ABSOLUTELY worth murdering sydney over for a determined bad guy. As for letting people see them, put them back in the bag, put on a hat and fake mustache, and boom, not visible anymore. Yes im exaggerating a bit, but come on, you think the big bads dont already take care in where they go and when they are seen? This would be no different. How many people here would recognize the fbis ten most wanted on sight? Yeah, nobody. Unless the orbs are out and active, nobody is going to tell that Cri M Nal is the one walking through downtown so long as he takes even the minimum in precautions.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Max_Killjoy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The Lakes

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    There is, unfortunately, a black market for high end art. Rich jerks put it in their home where it is only seen by other rich jerks who are fine with it being a stolen treasure.

    Sydney's orbs might appeal to certain rich jerks. You don't use them, you just have them in a vault and take delight in knowing that you have high-end alien technology in your vault, and you can go look at them when it pleases you. Similar to a priceless work of art, your pleasure is derived in part from keeping something special hidden away from lesser beings. If they deserved to see it, they'd be rich. Deus just might be that far down the path of rich jerkiness.

    As Lord K. pointed out, the bigger problem is that Sydney has friends, and aside from the value of the orbs, her friends will want to avenge her death. I can think of few things scarier than the thought of Maxima and Dabbler standing side by side looking at Sydney's corpse and vowing terrible vengeance no matter how long it takes.

    How long will Dabbler live, anyway? Do alien / succubus hybrids even age? She might find you 50 years from now.
    Not sure the owner of the orbs can keep them in a vault, they might auto-attach like they did to Sydney.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

    Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

    The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

    The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Not sure the owner of the orbs can keep them in a vault, they might auto-attach like they did to Sydney.
    I suspect that the Orbs attached themselves to Sydney for a reason (just as the stuff that gave Max her powers did.)

    As for Dabbler's age, she is something like 150 years old already IIRC.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Togliatti, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah and if said person actually worked at mastering using the orbs they might very well be able to stand against the goddess of ash on equal terms. Sydney is already capable of ludicrous speeds in atmosphere and interstellar travel. Her shield tanks literal block busting blasts before showing signs of damage and then regenerates in a couple seconds. She can teleport, hurl 15 ton weights, cut through tanks like butter, etc etc etc. And these are just the level of abilities we know about right now with dozens of upgrades to go for all of them. Now, imagine someone like say, vehemence, who now has these orbs. Finished shuddering in terror yet? These orbs raise a plain jane out of shape young woman into the top tier of arcswat automatically. Just think what a driven super villain who already has their own effective powers might do with them? Yes, these orbs are ABSOLUTELY worth murdering sydney over for a determined bad guy. As for letting people see them, put them back in the bag, put on a hat and fake mustache, and boom, not visible anymore. Yes im exaggerating a bit, but come on, you think the big bads dont already take care in where they go and when they are seen? This would be no different. How many people here would recognize the fbis ten most wanted on sight? Yeah, nobody. Unless the orbs are out and active, nobody is going to tell that Cri M Nal is the one walking through downtown so long as he takes even the minimum in precautions.
    Also, as Cora said, if anyone in the galaxy at large even suspects that the orbs are Nth tech, it could cause massive intragalactic war. Just them being able to casually toss up Aetherium Causeways is already something that could cause people familiar with the subject to start thinking about it.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    I appreciate the commentary below about how at first this probably was just a legit poor reaction between her and the truth drugs, but then she started rolling with it and took advantage which I find to be a bit more interesting and bad ass then just her having the idea from the start.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I appreciate the commentary below about how at first this probably was just a legit poor reaction between her and the truth drugs, but then she started rolling with it and took advantage which I find to be a bit more interesting and bad ass then just her having the idea from the start.
    As they say: adopt, adapt and improve.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Yeah and if said person actually worked at mastering using the orbs they might very well be able to stand against the goddess of ash on equal terms. Sydney is already capable of ludicrous speeds in atmosphere and interstellar travel. Her shield tanks literal block busting blasts before showing signs of damage and then regenerates in a couple seconds. She can teleport, hurl 15 ton weights, cut through tanks like butter, etc etc etc. And these are just the level of abilities we know about right now with dozens of upgrades to go for all of them. Now, imagine someone like say, vehemence, who now has these orbs. Finished shuddering in terror yet?
    No. No they would not from what we have seen so far. Case being, that you need a working hand to use the orbs.
    Thats the thing your not going to have after a handshake from the Goddess of Ash. The orbs are newer going to be stronger than their weakest component.
    The human using them. And Max is so fast that if you see her without a orb in hand your done.

    I even find it unlikely that you can fight Max if she refrains from blitzing you.
    Since after she shot down a spaceship, it seems clear she can shoot though the wall.

    And no i newer began shuddering at the though of Vehemence with the balls. The Orbs dont mesh that well with existing super powers.

    As for letting people see them, put them back in the bag, put on a hat and fake mustache, and boom, not visible anymore. Yes im exaggerating a bit, but come on, you think the big bads dont already take care in where they go and when they are seen? This would be no different. How many people here would recognize the fbis ten most wanted on sight? Yeah, nobody. Unless the orbs are out and active, nobody is going to tell that Cri M Nal is the one walking through downtown so long as he takes even the minimum in precautions.
    It does not matter what regular people see. What matters is what law enforcement and surveliance cameras see, as the entire area the orbs were observed in is picked though with a fine-toothed comb.

    I appreciate the commentary below about how at first this probably was just a legit poor reaction between her and the truth drugs, but then she started rolling with it and took advantage which I find to be a bit more interesting and bad ass then just her having the idea from the start.
    Does seem like something she could not control and decided to roll with.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    No. No they would not from what we have seen so far. Case being, that you need a working hand to use the orbs.
    Thats the thing your not going to have after a handshake from the Goddess of Ash. The orbs are newer going to be stronger than their weakest component.
    The human using them. And Max is so fast that if you see her without a orb in hand your done.

    I even find it unlikely that you can fight Max if she refrains from blitzing you.
    Since after she shot down a spaceship, it seems clear she can shoot though the wall.

    And no i newer began shuddering at the though of Vehemence with the balls. The Orbs dont mesh that well with existing super powers.



    It does not matter what regular people see. What matters is what law enforcement and surveliance cameras see, as the entire area the orbs were observed in is picked though with a fine-toothed comb.



    Does seem like something she could not control and decided to roll with.
    Like Batman, Sydney's most powerful weapon is her brain. She ad-libbed stream-of-consciousness nonsense. If she were real she'd be thrilled to hear me say that.
    I concede that the orbs might auto-attach, so rich jerk has to carry a storage device - briefcase, maybe? Or purse?
    All Vehemence needs is for the orbs to let him be in the middle of a riot or a war unharmed and he can power up to dangerous levels. And he regenerates.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    All Vehemence needs is for the orbs to let him be in the middle of a riot or a war unharmed and he can power up to dangerous levels. And he regenerates.
    Shield and flight would be most useful for him and indeed help him power-up quickly. The yellow orb however could also be important as the ability to flat out break all illusion could be an ability difficult for him to replicate. This one is situational though. PPO is not for Vehemence as it would end fight too quickly and permanently. The light hook does not add much as he himself is can have super strength - maybe some situational flexibility.

    I am wondering actually who from the little gallery of villains would benefit from the orbs the most. Dues would obviously know, how to utilize them, but he is not the type to go into fight directly. He would however be very happy with the personal FTL capabilities. If the shield did not block such abilities, magic users and that telekinesis guy employed by Deus would benefit from the shield the most and become very difficult to deal with.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Vehemence would love it. He is already durable in base form, the shield and flight means he can kite till his stats raise up enough to not need it. Teleportation means he is free to trigger all sorts of violence in a wide area with ease then just inhale all that energy for his own use. An outside set of powers means the ability to stalemate becomes harder. Take what happened in his fight with maxima. She had to go full turtle to survive. If she had the orbs she could have used them to escape and turn the situation around, even if she is stronger than the orbs themselves. Also, lets say maxima can blast through sydneys shield as it currently stands. The odds of her being willing to do so go down drastically depending on where the bad guy using it is. Cant evaporate a city block in the backlash just to break the shield after all. Way too much collateral.

    Bottom line, the orbs are a major source of power that can bring anyone up to the big leagues in potential and thats while barely scratching the surface of what they can do. A bad guy is going to see that and want it bad. If they want to buy time before the rage beast falls upon them, dont kill her there. Disappear her. Maybe leave behind a message about studying her or some such thing to make them think she is alive and its a rescue mission, then kill her and take the orbs in your base. Im not saying it wouldnt end bad for them eventually, im just saying that the type of bad guy we are dealing with would absolutely both want that power, and think they could get away with it. And they might not be wrong to think that.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Bottom line, the orbs are a major source of power that can bring anyone up to the big leagues in potential and thats while barely scratching the surface of what they can do.
    Assuming they have hands or equivalents that the orbs will interface with. And no mittens.

    Which brings up the obvious question: if they had bonded with Dabbler, would she be able to use 4 (all hands), 3 (all biological hands) or 2 (two's the limit)? Inquiring minds want to know but are unlikely to find an answer.
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2021-01-20 at 10:28 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    Assuming they have hands or equivalents that the orbs will interface with. And no mittens.

    Which brings up the obvious question: if they had bonded with Dabbler, would she be able to use 4 (all hands), 3 (all biological hands) or 2 (two's the limit)? Inquiring minds want to know but are unlikely to find an answer.
    One of Archons other supers gets super powers when in skin contact with another super. When she touched Sydney the Orbs started to hover around her as they did Sydney. I think a later page shows them using the 3 Orbs.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    For Deus, kidnapping Sydney and studying her to see the nature of the bonds and if they can be transferred would be a good move. Especially if you can leave a convincing note that Sydney "needs some time to think about things" but in Sydney-esque verbiage. In fact, that kind of puts an upper limit on the power of whoever is the Big Boss of the masked morons; someone with huge resources would just take Sydney and hide her, and have the technology / wealth to be confident that even Ar****e would have trouble finding her. Big risk, big reward - but easier (as has already been noted) if you can get off-planet. Even the moon might work.

    I wonder if the original inventors of the orbs had more than two grasping appendages. Sapient squid would wield the whole set. And along the Dabbler line of thought, can Sydney get artificial appendages added? Maybe you don't need an arm, just a spare hand protruding from a shoulder and you use a standard-issue hand to put an orb you want to use long term (like the oxygen one) there.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    "Opps"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Max only "suggested" no-lethal weapons? Only Concreta is left but she's probably either being grossed out or going to try asking (begging) for help so she doesn't get killed by the bad guys (or Cora).
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    "Opps"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Max only "suggested" no-lethal weapons? Only Concreta is left but she's probably either being grossed out or going to try asking (begging) for help so she doesn't get killed by the bad guys (or Cora).
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, this is what we were talking about. Even threatening Sydney can lead to stuff like this. Even if he had the orbs, this would have still happened, because Cora has stealth and tracking tech that would far outpace what this shmuck could get away with.

    Maxima doesn't actually have authority over Cora. So all she can give her is 'suggestions'. Mind you, she could prosecute Cora for murder but this is a pretty clear case of defense of others. Like, had Cora been a cop (or even a civilian) who just shot the man in the head, she'd likely get through court just fine. Particularly considering he was trying to shoot Sydney and had to be physically restrained by his minions. The implosion bullet (or whatever it was) may have been excessive, but he's just as dead as he would be otherwise.

    But I think the shmuck's minions are still alive too. Since the 'blast' didn't harm Sydney, I imagine the other person helping hold the shmuck back is likely still around and quite likely considering surrendering.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Spoiler
    Show
    Think your right about the minions being alive. You can see one of them on the left side of the explosion panel.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Sydney wants to inject herself with the memory-blanking drug. That's because she's currently wearing a fine sample of rib meat on her shoulder, along with a few cups of blood.

    My guess is that the others will surrender immediately, including Concretia. I don't think Concretia wants to find out what other rounds Cora is packing - there may be ghost killing ammo for alien ghosts.

    I think Cora has been seeing through Halo's glasses for a while, so probably knows that the rest don't deserve immediate execution.

    Also, Cora must have taken the time to communicate with Maxima prior to heading off for a rescue, or while in transit.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Sydney wants to inject herself with the memory-blanking drug. That's because she's currently wearing a fine sample of rib meat on her shoulder, along with a few cups of blood.
    And the fact that she saw a round that lodged itself apparently harmlessly in someone... and then sliced them open from the inside.

    My guess is that the others will surrender immediately, including Concretia. I don't think Concretia wants to find out what other rounds Cora is packing - there may be ghost killing ammo for alien ghosts.
    Well, the guy with the 'Bad Girl' control is dead. She has no reason to fight in the first place, now. Especially if Advanced Alien Tech can trace the signal back to where her body is.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Max_Killjoy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The Lakes

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    For sufficiently open values of "harmlessly"...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

    Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

    The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

    The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    And the fact that she saw a round that lodged itself apparently harmlessly in someone... and then sliced them open from the inside.


    Well, the guy with the 'Bad Girl' control is dead. She has no reason to fight in the first place, now. Especially if Advanced Alien Tech can trace the signal back to where her body is.
    I'm not sure if that thing sliced, exploded, inflated until burst point, or what. I don't know if I want to know.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'm not sure if that thing sliced, exploded, inflated until burst point, or what. I don't know if I want to know.
    Given that she shot him in the right shoulder, and it looks like a LOT of blood coming out in ropes instead of a mist?

    Slicing.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Jesus ****ing holy **** balls H Christopher damning Lee... even for my generally permissive standards for how to handle a threat this feels like it pushed it. Halo is gonna be washing bits of him out of her hair for weeks.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Max_Killjoy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The Lakes

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    The choice of lethal means might have been a bit much.

    But he probably doomed himself when he backhanded Sydney, and was going to kill her if the others hadn't held him back.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

    Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

    The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

    The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

    Well, that was messy.
    The poor janitor...

    But honestly?
    The moron didn't strike me as the type to surrender, much less to a woman.
    So really, all Cora did was skipping to the end of the sequence. Maybe she could've used less... enthusiastic measures, but he did try to shoot someone.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •