New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

annoyed OOTS #1219 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1219 - The Discussion Thread

Been a while since we've seen so many skill checks.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm really wondering how long has that joke been planned for?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Good, use everyone's skills together.

'Course, it's possible Team Evil DIDN'T deal with this trap, given that they might not have come through this door at all.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Good, use everyone's skills together.

'Course, it's possible Team Evil DIDN'T deal with this trap, given that they might not have come through this door at all.
    They've got the snow pushed aside, so I think it's meant to imply that they totally did.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    They've got the snow pushed aside, so I think it's meant to imply that they totally did.
    I like that it's this that Roy (and probably Haley) picked up on rather than the X's.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Ohh maybe the trap ensues that the person coming through never reaches the gate? Like maybe it rearranges the tomb! Or it teleports the person moving to a dead end! Maybe even summons the guardian monsters.
    I like the implication that the tomb isnt as simple as a game of chance.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I like that it's this that Roy (and probably Haley) picked up on rather than the X's.
    That actually made me go back and notice, they don't say "you can tell this one's been opened", but rather, "you can tell this one's been opened recently".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

There's no way this is the Order. They're actually working so smoothly together!

...so does this mean Team Evil already did the door they "went" through, or not?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is it just me or is it a little disturbing to see all of them actually using their skills properly? :)

Jay Faulkner: UK based disabled writer and gamer. Mostly ttrpg & MTGArena. Cyber security by day, everything else by night.
    - www.jayfaulkner.com -

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

snow aside = better indicator than the red X (also because OOTS shouldn't know what does it mean?)

line of magical runes = something that perhaps team evil always miss, and key feature to find the gate? how likely is this?

is it perhaps the trigger for "dangeon remix & repopulate" ?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    snow aside = better indicator than the red X (also because OOTS shouldn't know what does it mean?)

line of magical runes = something that perhaps team evil always miss, and key feature to find the gate? how likely is this?

My bet is either that or it alerts the faction guarding the gate to do so.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

oh yes, i love looking at another thread and then seeing new comic pop up!

now, why didn't anyone else think of that? that the tracker could hide the tracks from another tracker?
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I wonder if the runes is the explanation for how there can be so many doors. Perhaps passing the runes makes the rest of the dungeon appear somehow?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Well, if it is, I feel like it will make the Chekhov's Gun of MitD marking extra doors pointless, unless the Gate is behind one of the extra doors MitD marked, and this turns out to matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Actually finishing a seven-book series of fantasy novels is a better dig at ASOIAF than any in-strip parody could be.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    There's no way this is the Order. They're actually working so smoothly together!
    Well, they have grown some.

Thanks, Rich!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheJayPhoenix View Post
    Is it just me or is it a little disturbing to see all of them actually using their skills properly? :)
    Their comical incompetence had to eventually give way to competence flavored with comical inter-party dynamics when the story got more serious and is starting to wrap up. Everyone's had their mountains of character development, a dozen or so levels since the story began in the Redmountains castle, and an understanding that the world is about to end if they screw up.

Narratively speaking, constant schadenfreude and one dimensional character humor (belkar is evil!, haley is greedy!, elan is stupid!, etc) isn't really appropriate at this stage of the plot, except in very small doses. They can't keep tripping over their own character flaws forever.
    Last edited by Kaed; 2020-11-17 at 09:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfWarriorGuy

Competence growing by leaps and bounds! If I didn’t know better I’d say they were an actual high level party!
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Sheesh Belkar, don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you've been absolutely terrible at tracking for a long time.

And hey, look at that. Every door that Durkon and Minrah open during https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1216.html have little lines on them. And yet Team Evil did not visibly trigger anything upon entering. Most curious.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2020-11-17 at 10:07 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm really wondering how long has that joke been planned for?
    AFAICT the SRD at least doesn't give any advantage to hiding tracks for having survival or the track feat, it's just a flat +5 to the track DC at the cost of moving half speed.

So it's really not a rules joke and isn't a major plot element, it's just an explanation of why this has any chance of working with a final panel joke thrown in.

As a GM, I'd probably allow a larger increase to the DC for use of the survival skill and track feat to help hide tracks, it makes sense, but AFAICT it's not a rule.

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Sheesh Belkar, don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you've been absolutely terrible at tracking for a long time.
    Well, this is the only Ranger skill he had a reason to learn, by his logic.

I mean, he wasn't going to be tracking down any bloodhounds, but they might be tracking him down pretty darn hard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

Man, it's amazing how well the team work developed by these guys - and how huge of a contrast it is for Durkon going against that by going solo.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Belkar, you didn't have any ranks in survival when this quest started and an ability score penalty. We learned the former shortly before you were captured by a paladin, dragged off to Azure City, and hit with a magic rune that makes it impossible to kill in a city. After that point you were "faking" character growth right up until you actually grew as a character. You only knew how to track at the start because it was part of the Ranger package.

Meaning if you learned to track at all you did it long after you joined the Order and law enforcement agencies stopped being your primary concern
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Okay, my money is on the trap stops you from reaching the gate if you trigger it...

And Mitd marking wrong doors might not impact the search for the gate, but it's good foreshadowing for an upcoming betrayal....

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    AFAICT the SRD at least doesn't give any advantage to hiding tracks for having survival or the track feat, it's just a flat +5 to the track DC at the cost of moving half speed.

So it's really not a rules joke and isn't a major plot element, it's just an explanation of why this has any chance of working with a final panel joke thrown in.

As a GM, I'd probably allow a larger increase to the DC for use of the survival skill and track feat to help hide tracks, it makes sense, but AFAICT it's not a rule.
    I meant as a character joke, not a rules joke.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Who on Team Evil can detect traps? RC can run Find Traps, but that's only 1 min/level. Do we think he has a slew of them, or their Extended versions? Can Oona Find Traps or otherwise detect them?

The whole point of this is, are we sure that TE even knew that this tripwire was even there? If they didn't, and kept hitting it in every door they've gone through, might the tripwire send TE to a different dungeon (without an Epic Sorcerer or near-Epic, very clever Cleric realizing they'd been teleported elsewhere) than the one the Order is about to enter?

EDIT: OTOH, Haley hasn't been keeping her Search maxed, per that scene at the entrance to Girard's Pyramid, so maybe it doesn't take a huge Search skill to detect this particular tripwire?
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2020-11-17 at 10:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Who on Team Evil can detect traps? RC can run Find Traps, but that's only 1 min/level. Do we think he has a slew of them, or their Extended versions? Can Oona Find Traps or otherwise detect them?

The whole point of this is, are we sure that TE even knew that this tripwire was even there? If they didn't, and kept hitting it in every door they've gone through, might the tripwire send TE to a different dungeon (without an Epic Sorcerer or near-Epic, very clever Cleric realizing they'd been teleported elsewhere) than the one the Order is about to enter?
    That sounds like something Girard or Dorukan would do. I'm not sure if Serini would have had access to that much high level magic. Paying for magic can get screwy.
    - The Flying Kipper

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Last comic ended on a half page, but this comic is a full page. Will the missing half-page be in the book?

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Belkar, you didn't have any ranks in survival when this quest started and an ability score penalty. We learned the former shortly before you were captured by a paladin, dragged off to Azure City, and hit with a magic rune that makes it impossible to kill in a city. After that point you were "faking" character growth right up until you actually grew as a character. You only knew how to track at the start because it was part of the Ranger package.

Meaning if you learned to track at all you did it long after you joined the Order and law enforcement agencies stopped being your primary concern
    Spoiler: On the Origin of PCs
    Show
    Imean, he was in jail. Desire to not be tracked by the law does not equate to skill at not being tracked by the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    Last comic ended on a half page, but this comic is a full page. Will the missing half-page be in the book?
    It'll probably be bonus content of some form. Probably. Not the author. Regardless, though, there's no "missing" half-page.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-17 at 10:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    That sounds like something Girard or Dorukan would do. I'm not sure if Serini would have had access to that much high level magic. Paying for magic can get screwy.
    Yeah, the builders have to cut enough corners to pay for their pool room, after all.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2020-11-17 at 10:25 AM.