New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1219 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Spoiler: Spoilers for "Number the stars"
    Show
    This involves a powder mixed from rabbit blood, to attract the dog, and cocaine, to numb their sense of smell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cocaine: Is there anything it can't do?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

and... there is the small difference that haley is temporaily bypassing the trap, not disabling it nor letting it trigger. i wonder if this is important too, since team evil probably either just charges in or takes a moment to disable repetative trap.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    if I understood correctly, Haley said it resets at every individual passage.
    also true the 'if then' block of pseudocode triggered by the trap, if is at every individual passage, need a timeout to expire internally, if activate something in the maze.
    without a timeout, it would have now been triggered since the first step, from the bugbears, years ago.
    and/or, if the effect it is associated to the individual, like an invisible mark, that might have an expiration time.

well now I believe it is likely related to the mysterious character of the book.
    You are right, thanks for pointing out that detail to me.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post
    And now Belkar is useful as a ranger???
    We don't know if Belkar is being useful as a RANGER. After all, the SRD makes no mention of this as a ranger ability specifically, and Belkar is a terrible tracker. Given that Roy knows the abilities of a ranger and expected Belkar to actually have those abilities (and he didn't), his disbelief that Belkar has this ability may be confusion as to why Belkar can do this when it isn't part of his class ability set at all.

It is likely something that he has learned outside of being a ranger, like his abilities as a chef, because it's not part of the ranger skillset.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Lies! Belkar doesn't know how to track!

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    We don't know if Belkar is being useful as a RANGER. After all, the SRD makes no mention of this as a ranger ability specifically, and Belkar is a terrible tracker. Given that Roy knows the abilities of a ranger and expected Belkar to actually have those abilities (and he didn't), his disbelief that Belkar has this ability may be confusion as to why Belkar can do this when it isn't part of his class ability set at all.

It is likely something that he has learned outside of being a ranger, like his abilities as a chef, because it's not part of the ranger skillset.
    https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm#track

Rangers get Track at level 1...
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Also Survival is one of the skills that can be used untrained(if poorly) IIRC.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Haley Rogue abilities FTW.

Belkar ranger abilities FTW.

Durkon and Minrah raising the issue of tracking - well done.

The team is teamworking well.

EDIT:

A sadistic trap would be one that, if the gate can be reached via this entrance, rearranges the dungeon so that the path no longer exists.

A good tribute to strength (and dwarves) would be to seal the Gate inside a few hundred feet of rock that has been enchanted against being removed magically. The only way in is with a pickaxe.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2020-11-18 at 08:57 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

On a meta level, I'm thinking of the reason they open one door, and then go through the other one. Not from their point of view, from the narrative point of view; as in, why did The Giant wrote it this way. It could be simply that Team Evil will assume they went through the first door (since they didn't close it). But much more likely is that it is to establish that every door has a similar line of runes. And indeed, checking 1216, we can faintly see a similar line behind each door.

Great narration!
    Last edited by ratfox; 2020-11-18 at 09:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

Has anyone considered that maybe the trap at the start, since it has no blatant effect, is what conceals the gate? That one can only access the gate if the traps are bypassed?
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Has anyone considered that maybe the trap at the start, since it has no blatant effect, is what conceals the gate? That one can only access the gate if the traps are bypassed?
    It's too soon to say, but I think it's safe to assume it has something to do with how the dungeon works.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Yes, many people so far.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

Further proof that the party has moved forward: Roy used to think they were doomed when Belkar would act like a Ranger.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    It's too soon to say, but I think it's safe to assume it has something to do with how the dungeon works.
    I don't see why. It might just trigger a fireball to soften the intruders for the monsters. Or something of that effect.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don't see why. It might just trigger a fireball to soften the intruders for the monsters. Or something of that effect.
    We have seen TE walk both in and out of dungeons repeatedly, and no massive fireball has been seen so far. Nor any other indication that they are aware of any deleterious trap about to hit them.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

We can also be pretty sure it's not a mind-altering effect, since that would get obvious pretty fast with a lich crossing the threshold side-by-side with a team of living cohorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

And if it requires a save, then it eventually wouldn't have worked on at least one of the members of Team Evil; trap DCs tend to be low and most of them can get pretty high save bonuses after buffs anyways, not to mention that someone could roll a nat 20.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

not to mention that someone could roll a nat 20.
    *Nat 1, I'd imagine, since we are talking about missing a saving throw.

Third thought (closely related to my first): maybe this is a counter, but of a very simple type: it counts how many people are crossing the threshold at the same time. And if it is more than 1, you are out of luck to get to the gate. This is a Temple of Personal Might. No teams allowed.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-11-18 at 10:25 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    We have seen TE walk both in and out of dungeons repeatedly, and no massive fireball has been seen so far. Nor any other indication that they are aware of any deleterious trap about to hit them.

GW
    That's a good point but it could also be that side-stepping this trap has become routine to them and so not worth mentionning anymore.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    The 3.5 Scent rules ... and as a DM or reader I would find this idea attractive enough to agree to.
    concur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaziggy View Post
    Sort of the opposite of none of them being the door- they are all the door, and the existence of the choosing game is the sleight of hand.
    It also allows whomever seeks the gate to keep wasting time and not find it until they grok that there's a game being played ... quite a meta joke, come to think of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but given that the bug ear village has been there for quite some time,
    While I realize that this is a typo, I have a new headcanon: Oona, leader of the Bug Ear Tribe.

... Serini's back door system ...
    The front door is the back door ... yeah, I like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Hell, I never understood why O'Chul seemed to want to find the gate.
    Hinjo told him to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    Probably the idea is "If I can get there first, I can be better prepared to defend it"
    And that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post
    Wait, so Roy was asking Elan for advice in the last strip and actually listened to him... And now Belkar is useful as a ranger??? Folks, we are still in the illusion! Nothing of the last 330 strips was real!
    Lack of purple frames harms this concept ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyWolf
    Third thought (closely related to my first): maybe this is a counter, but of a very simple type: it counts how many people are crossing the threshold at the same time. And if it is more than 1, you are out of luck to get to the gate. This is a Temple of Personal Might. No teams allowed.
    Neat idea, and opens the door for O-Chul to find the gate. Or, MiTD, going in all alone.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-18 at 10:42 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

*Nat 1, I'd imagine, since we are talking about missing a saving throw.

Grey Wolf
    No, I did mean nat 20. Because if the trap prevents TE from getting to the Gate somehow(such as illusions or teleportation) and it offers a saving throw, then someone should have realized what was going on by now. But that didn't happen, so it's very likely the "trap" has nothing to do with actually affecting the people who enter in the first place.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, many people so far.
    Also, it would not be a very good idea. „You cannot beat the dungeon unless you have a high level rogue with you, who'll automatically let you find the McGuffin of cosmic importance” is not what I would call a sound defense strategy. I mean, whoever enters a dungeon without one of those (other than Team Evil, that is)?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-11-18 at 10:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, there's a certain limit as to how well you can protect stuff from high-level characters. You can make it hard for them to get in, but making it impossible can't really be done without DM fiat or literal divine influence. It's not like Serini or any of the Scribblers are that much higher level than the Order anyways.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

To be fair, there's a certain limit as to how well you can protect stuff from high-level characters. You can make it hard for them to get in, but making it impossible can't really be done without DM fiat or literal divine influence. It's not like Serini or any of the Scribblers are that much higher level than the Order anyways.
    Do we know for sure? All we know is they hit epic levels, which could mean anything from "they each have exactly enough XP to get to Level 21" to "literally Level 50." (Yes, the latter is highly unlikely, but theoretically possible with the info we have so far.)
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2020-11-18 at 11:03 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Also, it would not be a very good idea. „You cannot beat the dungeon unless you have a high level rogue with you, who'll automatically let you find the McGuffin of cosmic importance” is not what I would call a sound defense strategy. I mean, whoever enters a dungeon without one of those (other than Team Evil, that is)?
    Well it was designed by a high level rogue.

And nobody suggested it would automatically reveal the gate. I don't get why so many people have the reflex to jump at "no you can't have this safety mechanism because X could defeat it". Stacking defenses just makes things tougher.

As it stands, we know: Sirini was an epic rogue with likely mastery of traps, she made this dungeon, she filled it with big tough monsters as a tribute but in no way should we expect "be bigger and tougher" to be the key to the gates, she seemingly put a trap on each door, and these traps have no overt effect that we can see.

So "triggers something else further down off-screen" is a pretty likely explanation. Another one is that it's an alarm. There could be other explanations, for example, the trap might be what actually fills the dungeon with monsters.

Narratively, I don't see a point to adding a trap that calls a dead or insignificant third party, or spending the time to disable a useless trap.

Option 1 could lead the heroes directly to the gate, I see no other reason for it. Option 3 could help the tide of battle by allowing the order to hunk up in the dungeon and then having monsters come and flank Team Evil as they trigger it. It could work whether or not the gate is through this door.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

For sure, but building a huge system of dungeons where EVERY SINGLE DOOR leads to the prize if you have a good enough rogue to dismantle one trap at the entrance… Now, that would mean the one who built the place wasn't even trying or worse yet, wished to sabotage her own efforts.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-11-18 at 11:06 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Further proof that the party has moved forward: Roy used to think they were doomed when Belkar would act like a Ranger.
    Eh, it's been clear he's moved forward when he started to rely on Belkar as a person to actually have a heart-to-heart with. Besides, Roy was annoyed when Belkar snuck off to make a buttload of skill checks, but he also felt confident enough in Belkar's ability to be a Ranger that he was even brought along to the Godmoot.

My personal hope is that the line trap is actually a reoccurring thing in the dungeons. Basically, if you walk over the runes without disarming them, they create a mystery dungeon that has a randomly generated set of rooms and monsters. If you disarm the trap and continue disarming each following trap, it is instead the pregenerated Gate dungeon with rooms and monsters and features specific to defending the gate. But to actually disarm the traps consistently, you'd need to be a high level PC.

It's not technically a shell game (since if it were, the gate would be in another castle), but an endless dungeon.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Do we know for sure? All we know is they hit epic levels, which could mean anything from "they each have exactly enough XP to get to Level 21" to "literally Level 50." (Yes, the latter is highly unlikely, but theoretically possible with the info we have so far.)
    I don't think it's possible to legit level to lvl 50. When the CRs are too distant you just don't get any XP. It's already hard to gain XP at levels below 30, I'm not even sure there's any monsters with a CR above that. Just reaching level 30 requires insane amounts of time chasing extremely rare opponents. For level 50, you could go kill all the gods and still not be close to your target.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    For sure, but building a huge system of dungeons where EVERY SINGLE DOOR leads to the prize if you have a good enough rogue to dismantle one trap at the entrance… Now, that would mean the one who built the place wasn't even trying or worse yet, wished to sabotage her own efforts.
    Who said any door would lead to the prize? Stacked defenses. Pick the right door AND disable the trap, nor OR. Even if it was, though, it'd still be a better ruse than "the gate is under the statue".
    Last edited by Goblin_Priest; 2020-11-18 at 11:12 AM.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Considering that Lirian and Dorukan both got their asses handed to themselves by Xykon, who is the final boss for a party only just in their late teen levels, they can't be that high.

Though to be honest, if you get a Death Ward effect and fire resistance you've essentially protected yourself from like 75% of what the big X can do. He's extremely powerful, but at the same time I could probably do a bit better with his build. Of course, Rich probably wouldn't do that even if he did remember enough of 3.5e to optimize heavily and he's already a bit too stronger than the Order if you ask me. Like, seriously, an epic version of Redcloak would be "extremely powerful, but can be taken down if you're good enough". Xykon is "you literally can't use 95% of your abilities to do crap to him, and your wizard can get yanked out of the battle at any moment" which is why I'm betting on "he gets shoved into the Rift and the Snarl eats him".

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #150

Considering that Lirian and Dorukan both got their asses handed to themselves by Xykon, who is the final boss for a party only just in their late teen levels, they can't be that high.

Though to be honest, if you get a Death Ward effect and fire resistance you've essentially protected yourself from like 75% of what the big X can do. He's extremely powerful, but at the same time I could probably do a bit better with his build. Of course, Rich probably wouldn't do that even if he did remember enough of 3.5e to optimize heavily and he's already a bit too stronger than the Order if you ask me. Like, seriously, an epic version of Redcloak would be "extremely powerful, but can be taken down if you're good enough". Xykon is "you literally can't use 95% of your abilities to do crap to him, and your wizard can get yanked out of the battle at any moment" which is why I'm betting on "he gets shoved into the Rift and the Snarl eats him".
    The other 20% being lighting (electric), and 5% being magic missile (force).

Death Ward, Resistance to Fire, Resistance to Electricity, Shield, and you are pretty well covered.

That's why he's got Superb Dispelling, though.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show