New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 71: All I Want For Thanksmas Is You

Brimstone Park -> ???

Rose can feel the portal. It lies at the base of something at the center of the pool, a twisted pillar of petrified wood, the burned husk of a threshold tree. Between two stony roots, a swirling vortex of infernal power is anchored. That is what she's looking for. She passes through... And is still in a pool of lava. Her connection to her park feels tenuous and foggy. In this realm, she is not so closely tied to it. Something stirs the molten rock beside her face, but it's gone before she can get a good view.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Lethal Lava Land]

Is it weird that Rose can see down here at all?

Because lava is one hundred percent NOT transparent. It isn't like looking around under water. And yet she can see just fine? Must just be one of those weird innate abilities that lava-breathing creatures have. Probably best not to think about it too hard. Or, in Rose's case, put it on the proverbial back burner and see if she can't figure out the magical basis for it later. She didn't JUST make all her money plundering tombs and doing adventuring stuff! She makes most of it inscribing scrolls and creating other consumable magical items. If she figured out how to make a scroll of lava breathing that ALSO let the user see? Well, that would be kind of niche but what adventuring party doesn't have to deal with a lava lake at some point?

Rose beats or long, flattened tail and dives deeper.

Wait, what was that?

She twists in the molten lake, turning this way and that. Without thinking she reaches for her magic and armor of lime green olivine and dark green pyroxine crystals forms over her body. It probably looks quite elegant and beautiful to anyone who actually has an eye for such things. A spear of similar green crystal grows into her grasp, veins of eldritch and infernal magic flowing through it.

"Where did you go, huh?" she calls out, her voice somehow carrying through the lava. She swims forward, looking this way and that in search of potential threats. Also anyone who looks like they might be named Charcoal. Oh, speaking of! "Charcoal are you down here? Your friend is worried!"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

Rose looks around. It takes a few moments, but she spots the source of the movement. It's not pretty. A scorched, blackened corpse drifts through the lava, like a piece of driftwood, miraculously not incinerated. It moves at a surprisingly fast pace, and now that Rose knows what to look for, she can see that what appeared to be black rocks are actually more corpses. Hundreds upon hundreds of them, all pushed along by this river of lava.

Charcoal doesn't respond. Hopefully she didn't stray far through this hellscape.

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #94

[Lethal Lava Land]

Really EXTRA lethal it looks like!

Rose beats her tail, powering through the molten rock in search of a missing friend. She pauses briefly at one of the corpses to poke at it with her spear.

"Hey. Are you dead dead or just stuck down here in eternal torment?" she asks the burned corpse.

...what?

It's not an unreasonable question, considering where she is.

And if this IS a damned soul she might be able to get some soul tallow!

That would be one goal accomplished at least, right?

Poke poke

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

The corpse is poked. It doesn't respond. But the slight outburst of infernal energy it gives should confirm. This is a damned soul. She should also be able to tell that Sapphira's power that is in her and the essence of this soul are aligned. With a careful infusion of power, she might be able to wake this soul and converse with it. With even more, perhaps she could pull the soul out of this husk entirely and bind it to herself. That would definitely have no negative consequences whatsoever.

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #96

[Lethal Lava Land]

Eeew what kind of idiot binds damned souls to themselves?

Rose might be a warlock but she isn't an idiot.

...okay maybe she was a little bit of an idiot for excepting a deal from a devil in the first place but she was under a lot of duress at the time, okay?

One way or the other she now knows that she has got a supply of damned souls! ...yay? Thankfully the ritual for extracting the soul tallow is pretty easy. Just inscribe the proper sigil into the husk, touch a pure crystal to it (pyroxene in this case) and speak the incantation. Boop! Crystal filled with pure hellfire and suffering. Unless interrupted, Rose is going to be repeating the process with several more of the drifting corpses.

Wowie this sure was a great idea!

Sure, it's a little gross but that's warlocking for you. But this will definitely not be a problem in any way shape or form. Collect some soul tallow, find Charcoal, then head back home and work on those Seals of Hellish Rebuke. It'll be a pretty great use of a day as far as Rose is concerned. She's also pretty happy about finding a way to inoculate herself against Sapphira's 'cure'. Now she'll be able to be Rose without any trouble! All that's left is getting that soul tar removed and she'll be able to fully integrate her two Masks. It'll be fantastic!

Yes sir.

Nothing could possibly go wrong hanging out in hell harvesting damnation juice.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

Some corpses are drained. Nothing bad happens. Not until Rose finds a fresher-looking husk and tries to extract from it. Her contact with it releases a pulse of infernal energy, a magical trap designed to hold her in place, while the husk rises to the surface upon an invisible string of magic. It's the hellish equivalent of a fishing lure, and she just got caught.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #98

[Lethal Lava Land]

Okay.

So.

Lesson learned here.

Test husks from a distance first to make sure that they aren't trapped first. Good thing to know for the future on the off chance that this doesn't result in Rose perishing horribly. Or prevent her from regrowing back at her garden somehow. Rose's gaiad knowledge is telling her that she, like most nymphs, is kind of a pain in the butt to get rid of since both she and her garden need to be destroyed. And considering that her garden is a lava pit she's feeling pretty good about its chances of sticking around. But hey, this is hell, it probably has some surprising ways to ruin her plans.

Now, she's got a few advantages here. For one she's no stranger to magical traps. She might be stuck to the husk but that isn't going to stop her from trying to break free from the enchantment. It feels pretty tough, so she moves her attention to the magical string that's reeling her in.

Can't get off the hook?

Break the fishing line instead.

The aims her intent at the line and releases a focused burst of magic meant to unravel spellwork. Hopefully that will fray and snap the line because she has the feeling she doesn't want to meet the fisherman at the other end.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-11-20 at 01:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

[Near Cormorant House]

The masked figure seems pretty frozen in time itself, with just slight swaying revealing that it is still alive and not a statue or a corpse frozen at the end of a sword swing. You see, tragically, it wandered here its blades already bare, and its sheathes seem to have gone missing. It's like it never really considered it would have to stop cutting things.

Oh well. All things come to an end. Sooner or later. It lets go of its sword with one frostbitten hand and stretches its fingers. A brand new sheath seems to form out of the falling snow in its outstretched hand. The figure wipes its sword in its rags and sheathes it, finally allowing time to resume passing for the dead wendigo.

"Cold..." , the figure mumbles as it shambles in the rain of blood. "Cold... need fire... yes... fire. Fire good." Slowly, it starts dragging and kicking the remains of the slain cannibals towards the corpse of the wendigo. It will take it some time to get them all in a nice pile.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

"Ho! We've got a lively one!" A rumbling, distorted voice calls from above as Rose begins attempting to break the line. "Three souls says it'll be strong enough to take to the queen." Rose will find that the thread resists her power, unraveling and re-raveling repeatedly as whoever created it fights back against her dispelling.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Park Inspection]

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    As soon as the fey approaches tiny flying creatures suddenly start to swarm out of the woman's face and arms. They just barely fit inside a persons palm and have the wings of various insects and insect-like creatures. Groups of them are car webs lined with cold iron which they will attempt to throw over the cat. As they're thrown they unfold in the air, getting significantly larger (though not as large as a standard web).

"Get them!" A shout can be heard as even more of the creatures start to emerge from the nearby trees. It's a trap!
    It was all a ruse!
    "Aaah!"
    The cat fey tries to get back in the chariot, but there are webs falling all around, and -ow!- they're covered in iron, so probably they won't be getting anywhere anyway.
    With all this iron around, they are reduced to merely the abilities of an upset giant alien cat. Which is to say, flailing at the imps with their claws and teeth.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #102

[Lethal Lava Land]

Well damn.

That didn't work out great.

Rose redoubles her effort, blasting at the line again! Once! Twice! She's burning through her whole store of potent magical power here in a desperate bid to escape. If this doesn't work out she'll be in trouble. Sure, she can fight well. She's quite good at it. Her skill with her summoned weapons is top-notch. But she would feel WAY more comfortable escaping with no spells left rather than getting landed like a fish while still having spells left.

She would probably be wriggling and thrashing, too.

But!

Sadly the spell is still holding her in place.

If her one-two dispelling punch is insufficient to free her she's going to get yanked out of the lava pool. There's a good chance she would be quite cross about that.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

It fails. Rose is unceremoniously yanked up out of the lava into a blasted canyon of black stone. A huge, rough hand grabs onto her, unbothered by her molten skin. "Huh. Feisty, but not strong enough. Put her on the line!" There's a long line of chained-together demonic prisoners. The huge demon holding Rose passes her to a pair of wiry creatures who forcibly grab her wrists and have heavy iron chains at the ready.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #104

[Lethal Lava Land]

The dispelling magic was aimed at the line, yes. But it was also chewing away at the enchantment holding her helpless. While the brute of a devil was busy making the sure the line didn't break Rose was busy working herself free from the bonds. Which means there now isn't anything stopping her from, say-

As soon as Rose's claws touch the stone they meld as if she were a tree made of volcanic rock, rooting her in place. As close as these devils are a spear won't do a great deal of good. Instead eldritch and infernal power begins whirling around her in a storm of scything raw magical power that threatens to dice the smaller devils and possibly catch the larger one in the effect as well.

"Feisty? You don't know the half of it," she spits at her would-be captors.

The spear she was holding dissipates-

-and a second one manifests at her outstretched palm and launches away from her at one of the smaller devils with incredible force. If struck it may find itself pinned to a nearby rock face as brambles begin growing from the weapon's haft to bind and impede its movements.

Seems like Rose is far from giving up just yet.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

[All I Want for Thanksmas is You]

Once outside, Michalson puts his eyepiece on again, to closely analyse the flow of magic around the music box. Just how far away does it push this influence? And does it come from any particular direction?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #106

[All I Want For Thanksmas Is You]
    Nim and Michalson

The eyes of the sphinx glow much brighter this time around and they do not fade. Nim's vow has been judged worthy and a boon will be offered to help see it successful.

Michalson will find that using the lens isn't causing his head ache to flare up as quickly or as severely as it normally does. Huh. Wonder what could be causing that?

With the music box open and the lens in place, Michalson will be able to see the magical plague wafting over Inside, pushed back perhaps thirty feet in a sphere centered on the music box. Each note causes a little pulse in the fog, forcing it to flow around the sphere. Because of this there's a clear leading and trailing edge in the fog bank. Michalson can tell where it's coming from.

In the distance there's an old radio tower rising high above the skyline in the direction the fog appears to be flowing from.

That's it.

That has GOT to be it.

Nice high position. And conceptually linked to 'beaming' music to electronic devices as well. That would likely help to sympathetically amplify the spell.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground

[In the Painting]

June isn't entirely sure why he needs to go get distracted right now, but...hopefully it goes well and keeps both of them out of her hair for the rest of the time here.

She nods and goes to the front entrance, and takes off her shoes to not track dirt or mud through the place, and goes to the room she knows best - her bedroom.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

[All I Want for Thanksmas is You]

Nim smiles and zips up his bag with the statue in it.
    "Do you see anything, Detective?" he asks as he notices Michalson using that eye-piece again. Nim will follow Michalson if he simply heads in a direction. He DID pledge to support him after all.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

One of the wiry demons is knocked back and pinned in place. It's not killed though, screaming and clawing at the weapon stuck through it. The slashing power cuts into the other one, but it doesn't seem especially bothered. It doesn't have blood to lose. The big one is even less so, its rough skin deflecting the attacks. It raises a hand and conjures and throws a net of solid hellfire at Rose, aiming to tangle her up. The smaller one that's still free rolls back and begins throwing darts, needles of black stone that would be quite unpleasant to be stabbed with.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #110

[Lethal Lava Land]

Rose gets glomped by a net! Thankfully she's about as fire proof as something can get. Still, getting tangled isn't exactly great.

She manages to raise her arm, a shield of green crystal growing into place to deflect the darts. They thump into her, shattering on the bulwark.

Then?

The gaiad vanishes into the volcanic rock. Just sorta melds with the stuff and ducks out of sight leaving the net limp and forlorn on the ground.

For a few seconds, nothing.

"RAGH!" comes an incoherent battle-cry as Rose bursts out of the ground wielding a massive two-handed maul of black stone, aiming to pulverize the other spindly devil with it.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

That was unexpected. Rose bashes the spindly devil and sends it flying end over end into the lava river. It gives an expression like "screw this, I'm out of here" and lets the current carry it downstream. Finally, the big devil picks up its actual weapon, a twisted and jagged steel axe. It takes a swing at Rose, the vicious weapon whistling discordantly through the air.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #112

[Lethal Lava Land]

Rose doesn't have enough time to get out of the way. She DOES have time to drop her maul and create a crystal shield again, though. The force of the impacting axe is enough to shatter the shield, absorbing the brunt of the impact before crashing into Rose and cleaving her straight in half as she's hurled away.

Oddly, though, as soon as the weapon touches her it isn't cutting through flesh and bone.

It's cutting through molten rock.

A large blob of lava that splats against the stone face nearby before rapidly pulling itself together again into the shape of Rose. She's rubbing her left arm where the axe struck her, the armor there cracked.

She backs up a few paces and conjures another spear of green crystal, rose briars, and pure magical power which she levels at the devil.

"Still worth your time?" she asks, holding her spear threateningly. "Or are you going to back off?"

Sounds like she's giving him a chance to stand down before she pokes him full of holes. How merciful!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

The devil smiles and pulls out something else. It's a leash and collar inscribed with eldritch runes. "Not just my time. The queen's time. Two in one day? I'll be the richest collector this side of the icy wastes." He whips the collar at Rose, and moving of its own accord, it tries to encircle her neck. If it manages to latch on, it will render her unable to disobey or resist her captor as its magic takes hold.

In the Painting

June is back in the bedroom. The diary is still there, but there's also a vanity with a mirror if she wants to try to contact Yssa's spirit again. Or she could just wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-11-20 at 01:26 PM.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #114

[Lethal Lava Land]

Oh hey that looks insidious.

Seeing the way it's moving Rose makes a snap decision. She isn't going to be able to dodge that thing, so she's going to have to try something else.

"Nope!"

She shoves the haft of her spear into the collar, the weapon distorting into a block of lime green crystal completely encapsulating the magical banding.

Can't latch onto her neck if it's full of rocks already, right?

And just for good measure brambles go racing along the lead back toward the devil, seeking to lash around him and bind tight with fiery thorns.

...just for good measure?

A bunch of attractive roses will bloom all over the bindings.

You can be pretty now, devil!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

[All I Want For Thanksmas Is You]
    Nim and Michalson

"The fog... might be comin' from that radio tower there." Michalson isn't entirely convinced. His life has taught him to make as few assumptions as possible. "There's only one way to find out for sure and we don't have any other direction."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

26. - Top - End - #116

Default Re: [Park Inspection]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    It was all a ruse!
    "Aaah!"
    The cat fey tries to get back in the chariot, but there are webs falling all around, and -ow!- they're covered in iron, so probably they won't be getting anywhere anyway.
    With all this iron around, they are reduced to merely the abilities of an upset giant alien cat. Which is to say, flailing at the imps with their claws and teeth.
    Always with the claws and teeth.

But after enduring the natural weapons of the ordinary cat, these strangely aren't as bad. Sure, they were worse if you actually got hit but they're also easier to dodge as anyone who've tried to kill an flying insect with their hands.

Still, the imp's don't want to get too close to those claws and teeth and starts employing ranged weapons in the form of what seems to be some kind of advanced slingshots. They're using them to fire pebbles of cold iron at the fey cat.

However, then a imp different than the others emerge from the woman.

This imp wears clothes.

They're clad in a black robe that seems to have been made of the exoskeletons of various invertebrates. The robe is so long that it hides most of the imps body, including their feet.
    This robed imp raises its tiny hands into the air. "Hold, hold, hold! I just want to ask a few questions, maybe some measurements, and then we'll let you go!"

27. - Top - End - #117

[In the Painting]

The first thing she should do, of course, is to change back into that shirt. She probably should wash up, too, but...there's still too many things to prepare. After brushing dirt and sticks and everything else off the pillowcase (out the window, of course), she brings it and its contents over to the vanity, and also brings the diary.

Writing her message to Yssa in the diary makes the most sense in front of the mirror, so that she can see behind herself in case anybody else tries to come in.

She starts writing, but every time she glances in the mirror she's reminded that...well, she doesn't really look like herself. This is, of course, a little weird.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Lethal Lava Land

The crystal encases the collar. Brambles run along the lead, and the big devil is summarily tied up. It snarls at Rose. "What are you going to do? Take my stock?" The devilish energy in Rose thinks that's a good course of action. It instinctively knows that it could take the captive fiends down the river to the Processing Center and be rewarded. This domain is its homeland, and it has familiarity with it.
    But maybe this being knows about Charcoal? It's plausible. What's a faerie-devil to do?

In the Painting

Looking in the mirror of course causes Yssa's spirit to once again manifest. She watches June curiously. It's probably unsettling to have your reflection not only look different than you expect, but also not follow your movements. The last entry of the journal before June starts writing concerns a meeting with Edward out in the woods, but also mentions that a third necklace has gone missing, and that Yssa is unsure where she keeps misplacing them.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-11-20 at 03:13 PM.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #119
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Park Inspection]

As the cat is pelted with bits of iron it stops trying to even hit the imps and just shelters its face with its paws and curls up a bit to be hit less.
    Those would hurt even if they weren't made out of poison metal.

So soon enough the cat is buried in iron nets.
    "That's a crazy way to ask someone questions!" she protests, not even looking at the boss imp in his horrifying robe.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #120

In the Painting

Having it not follow her actually helps, a little. All she has to do is not look at the mirror frame or any dirt or smudges on the mirror, and then she can kind-of trick herself into thinking that's not actually a mirror and that's not actually her reflection.

"Look," she whispers to Yssa. "I'm writing you a note to tell you to get out of this situation tomorrow." Gesturing at the most recent entry, she adds, "This is sketchy. All of this. Are you sure they actually were misplaced? This whole thing..." She shakes her head.
    On a related note, she has an idea. She glances around the vanity to find a jewelry box, to find a necklace. If someone is taking them, it might be possible to leave one out as a distraction or trap or something.

June starts writing, glancing up occasionally to check towards the door and the room behind her. She whispers, "When morning comes and we're both back in our bodies...one way or another, you need to get out of this situation." The things she writes includes telling Yssa basically the same thing she just whispered to the mirror, and giving her recommendation to just leave to somewhere safe if that's possible, and to under no circumstances meet with someone alone in the woods. And to stop meeting with Edward, period, and he's sketchy.
    Sure, she doesn't actually know Edward enough to really know if he actually is. But, between the latest entry in the journal and the knowledge of what's going to happen tonight, she can see where this is going. Especially since she's heard of a story kind-of like this before. Nope. She was completely right. Definitely do not want to run into Edward.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.