New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Super Galaxy! [IC]

E. Gadd's rocket stands before you. You're not entirely sure how you're all meant to fit in it, or whether it will avoid exploding on the way up, or what exactly you've gotten yourself into... But dammit, you're in for this!

You find spots, to cling onto and wedge yourselves in. Pauline tells you Good luck! and lights the fuse. She then hurries away. And in just a few moments... YOU FLY!

The ride is a rough one-the rocket is rickety and wobbles constantly. No one is actually driving the thing, so you all just kinda... Hope it knows where it's going. But eventually, you see this:

Spoiler: The Comet Observatory
    Show

It's a sight to behold. A rapidly approaching sight. Dangerously rapidly approaching. Does anyone know how to stop the-CRASH!

When you finally come to, you see a pudgy star being, dark as the midnight sky, with clear blue eyes. Why hello! it says. I am a Luma-and you all are?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-12-12 at 10:49 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Super Galaxy! [IC]

From face-down on the ground, the bob-omb with turquoise athletic shoes looks blearily up to see a murky black blob hovering over her. "Who?" she asks, suspicious. She jumps to her feet and tries to focus her eyes on the two fuzzy points of blue light within the shapeless monster. "What is- Oh! Of course, Luma! Hello! I am Lyubob!" She doesn't relax much, but at least her uneasy energy is a bit more friendly. "I am sorry, but we are in big hurry! Did you happen to see big Koopa ships go by here? Or, failing that, my glasses?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-12-13 at 01:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

You mean Bowser? the Luma asks. We're tracking him through the uppermost dome at the moment. Unfortunately, he's much too far to reach right now-the power of the stars has been waning with disuse, so we need fresh ones to juice up the Observatory.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With a squeaky grunt, Yoshi lifts herself off the ground and shakes her head. She first takes in her surroundings and stretches her muscles before addressing the Luma. The Luma's final words catch her ear and she introduces herself to the bulbous star.

"I am Yoshi. You say the star power is waning? What of Star Haven, are the kids okay?" she says excitedly, but with much concern as she starts pacing back and forth and tapping a finger on her chin.

"And there's no sight of Mario anywhere....What would Mario do?" Yoshi looks to the group and the Luma as well as she continues, "Does anyone know where Mario would get more stars?"
    Last edited by Mark_Elderfire; 2020-12-14 at 10:06 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

The huge blue Koopa rolls himself upright and looks around the Comet Observatory with a mixture of wonder and awkward sheepishness. It was honestly kind of amazing that he had managed to fit into the rocket with three other people; he towered over the other three explorers by a good margin. "So many stars...!" he says, looking at the sky and the distant world below in awe.

Abruptly he snaps back to the immediate matters at hand at the mention of stars and Bowser. "Um... I... I could be wrong, but, I think Power Stars can show up just about anywhere, but they get picked up by people and kept or hidden in difficult-to-reach places. If we had a general idea of where one might be found, it might not be difficult to spot where it might be hidden."

He looks around awkwardly, as if sorry he'd spoken up, and then offers a paw to the Parakoopa to help her up. "M-my name's Horatio," he says by way of introduction.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

”I am Mara,” she introduced herself to the Luma. “Paratroops in the Mushroom Kingdom Defense Force.” she slowly took in the situation.
    “Forgive me if I am repeating propaganda from my homeland, but does not Peach possess star power? Could she repair the damage done were she rescued?”
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Lyubob squints and paces around the area, scanning the ground for her spectacles. "I think that Mara is putting proverbial cart before proverbial horse," she says. "We cannot get power from princess if we need power to get to princess. Maybe rocket has some fuel left over?"

Suddenly, she excitedly runs up to Horatio and scoops up her glasses from right next to his foot. He must have collapsed on top of them when everyone went unconscious, but somehow, they're completely undamaged.

Now she can see what's left of the rocket!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-12-13 at 06:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

The rocket crashed pretty hard. It's mostly scrap and parts, with a bit of the chassis still recognizable.

Well, the Luma responds, we have enough Star Power left to launch a small group to a few galaxies-you'd have to be certain to retrieve a Power Star to fuel for the future, but with luck, skill, and Mama's help...

Before you get the chance to ask who "Mama" is, you think you see enough to guess the answer. A tall woman, with pale blonde hair hanging over one eye and in a light blue dress, approaches. I'm afraid that I can only do so much, child. But I see we have visitors-I do hope your entry was not too rough.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Are you the fabled Rosalina?" Mara asked, astounded by her approach.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

10. - Top - End - #10

I am, Rosalina replies. I see I left a bit of an impression, all those years ago.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Mara blushed. "Y-yeah," she said."It was around then that I left the Koopa Force and..." she looked down. "Ahem... you can help us go after the Princesses?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

To a degree. I am needed here in the Observatory, but if you truly have need... Call my name. I will be there, Rosalina replies.

The black Luma bobs up and down. Mama is always there when she's needed! But for now, we have a few nearby galaxies you can scour for Power Stars. The Good Egg and the Honeyhive Galaxies are your best bets.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hmm..."

Lyubob comes back from her evaluation of the ship and looks up at the levitating human. "Rosalina, hello! You would be Pauline's friend, yes? She said you would be expecting us. We'll start work on getting power stars right away!"

Once the space princess gets back to her post in the main building, Lyubob returns her attention to the rest of the group, Luma included. "So, it does not look good. Professor Gadd is renowned mechanical genius, but rocketry is not really his strong suit. I think parts would be more useful repairing observatory than putting ship back together." She looks up at the sky (do you still call it the sky when you're in space? Or, 'up,' for that matter?) and gets out her telescope. "OK Luma! Which galaxies are Egg and Hive? I want to get look at them before we go."

14. - Top - End - #14

Luma nods. You think-hard to tell when your body is also your face. We have an observatory in the Terrace-that would be a better spot to mount your observations.

They lead you to a small green dome on the lower level, and true to their word, it includes some amplification science-magic that makes looking out much easier. Lyubob casts her gaze out, with some direction from Luma. She can see first the Good Egg Galaxy. Piranha Plants dot the planets of Good Egg, and a few truly monstrously-sized eggs are visible on moons. The next one, Honey Hive, elicits a comment from Luma. We have some contact with the bee residents of Honey Hive. Alas, ever since Bugaboom came to roost in their home, they've been struggling.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

PaladinGuy

Yoshi collects herself after seeing Rosalind and follows everyone to the observatory, listening intently to what needs to be done. She speaks up to the group, "Maybe I'm a little biased but a Good Egg galaxy sounds amazing!"

She giggles then speaks to Luma specifically, "But since you've been in contact with Honey-Hive perhaps that would be an easier option." She shrugs her shoulders and turns to the group once more, "What do you all think? Help the bees from Bugaboom?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"I was told as a child that eggs were the weapon of these dangerous monsters who could eat you from ten feet away with their tongues, and spit your shell out to kill your fellow..." Mara blinked, looking at Yoshi. "Wait. Wait. Wait." Her eyes widened. "Ohhhhhh." She nodded. "Yeah, I'm alright with the egg one."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

"OK, I will go along with group decision. We will want stars from both either way, yes?" The bob-omb gives the Good Egg galaxy another look with her telescope, looking for likely hiding places. "Still, there are awful lot of piranha plants. Many will likely be concentrated in one place to guard power star. Luma, how accurately do you think you could aim us? Do you think someone would hide star inside of egg?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-12-14 at 07:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

The Luma nods. Our young blue friend here can assist you-if you would kindly... they say, gesturing to the smaller blue Luma in the corner.

That Luma leaps up, and floats to the roof of the dome. They twirl, and you feel yourself being sucked up. Good luck! the black Luma says as you warp through time and space.

You arrive at Good Egg Galaxy. Before you even get a chance to get your footing, you're set upon by six Piranha Plants, sprouting from near you!

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Piranha: (2d6)[2][2](4)
    Piranha: (2d6)[5][1](6)
    Piranha: (2d6)[3][2](5)
    Piranha: (2d6)[3][3](6)
    Piranha: (2d6)[3][3](6)
    Piranha: (2d6)[1][2](3)

Horatio: (2d6)[6][2](8)
    Lyubob: (2d6)[1][4](5)
    Yoshi: (6d6)[2][6][1][6][4][4](23)
    Mara: (4d6)[6][2][2][3](13)

The order is:

10-Yoshi
    5-Mara
    3-Horatio or Lyubob
    3-Piranha Plant
    2-The other five Piranha Plants
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-12-14 at 08:06 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

PaladinGuy

"Drat!" Yoshi curses to herself. Piranha plants ran rampant in her homeland. The only true predator towards a Yoshi. Being caught off guard like this was not a great start to their quest either. Not wanting to take any chances right out the gate, she decides that attacking them all at once would be wisest. She had been saving it for a special occasion, but perhaps now was the perfect moment.

Yoshi pulls out a small star and shouts, "Star Storm!" as she tosses it high above the group. The star splits into six separate shooting stars like a firework and the stars rain down on the heads of the piranha plants.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Deals 5 damage to each enemy plant.

20. - Top - End - #20

The Piranha Plants take a nasty blow, their leaves shearing off. But they snap and bite still!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    5 damage dealt to all Plants. None are taken out.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

It was too late to pretend she was on the plants' side, so instead she aimed herself at the nearest one and spewed fire from her mouth in its general direction.

Spoiler: ATTACK!
    Show
    I will attack with Speed and add... nothing. (4d6)[3][1][6][1](11) to light one on fire. I don't know what the damage is though.

"The attacker then does damage equal to his primary stat plus any damage modifiers, subtracted by the opponent's total Toughness; note that if the defender's total Toughness is greater than the total attack value, then the attack -- even if successfully hit -- is absorbed and does no damage"

Okay, I think it's 4 damage.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-12-14 at 11:27 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

One of the plants goes down, withering away in the heat.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Horatio was starting to say something about Bugaboom, something like "From what I remember, Bugaboom can fly and drop.... WHOOOOAAAH!"

He lands unceremoniously on the ground tucked into his shell, and no sooner is he out and standing when he's set upon by Piranha Plants.

"Yikes!" he shouts at the sight of the snapping plants. He pulls out a hammer, and it's immediately apparent it's in a sorry state - a big white "X" of sticky tape is holding its broken head together. But rather than attack with it, he holds it up and a spark of light glints off it.

"Watch out everyone!" he shouts, and stomps hard, sending a ripple outward through the ground.

OOC:

Spending 2 FP to stun all non-flying characters in the piranha plants' engagement for 1 turn.

6/8 FP remaining.
    Last edited by Illogictree; 2020-12-15 at 12:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Lyubob, who Horatio might recognize as a non-flying character in this encounter, has just recovered from the warp-landing and is running up into attacking position when the ground suddenly pops up beneath her! She is sent into a backflip animation and faceplants on the ground. Again. At least her glasses stayed on this time.

For her turn, she hops back to her feet and shoots Horatio a look he's probably used to. It's the look a rank-and-file teammate gives to a big dumb oaf who just inadvertently inconvenienced them. Of course, the quake still has the intended effect on the piranha plants, and he DID warn her, so she knows she can't complain out loud.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-12-15 at 01:56 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Mara, who could fly, practiced the rigorous military training she'd gotten by hopping in the air and shooting fire out of her mouth before hopping on the ground again.

Show

Okay I think I finally figured out the attack rules. I will make a Speed roll. (4d6)[4][6][6][2](18). And the Pirahna will make a defensive roll of any kind it chooses. If I get more successes, I will again deal 4 damage and I think inflict the burn status effect.

Burn - The character is on fire and takes 1 damage every turn for its duration.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-12-15 at 03:00 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler: Defense
    Show
    (4d6)[6][1][4][6](17)

Rolling.

Another one bites it, withering away with a loud pop!
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-12-15 at 03:01 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Horatio sees the glare from the Bob-omb and looks ashamed.

"I... I'm sorry," he says apologetically to Yoshi and Lyubob.

He raises his hammer again, and then points it at one of the remaining Piranha Plants. A sparkling square of magic energy tumbles off the end toward the ravenous vegetable.

Attacking one of the Piranha Plants with magic.
    (6d6)[2][4][4][3][4][3](20)

6/8 FP remain
    Last edited by Illogictree; 2020-12-15 at 11:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Lyubob sighs. "It is OK. It was efficient use of action; no one was hurt and you hit more of them than of us. I should not be mad."

As the magic square homes in one one target, Lyubob rushes at another to kick its big polka-dot head into orbit. That's barely even an exaggeration; orbit's like ten feet off the ground for these little planets.

Spoiler: Attack roll!
    Show
    Power vs. Defense: (6d6)[2][3][6][6][1][5](23)

29. - Top - End - #29

Spoiler: Defense Rolls
    Show
    Horatio: (4d6)[6][4][1][5](16)

Lyubob: [roll]v4d6[/rollv]

The first Piranha eats the magic, and burps out a small set of sparkles.
    But the next one, targeted by Lyubob, gets knocked off its stem and withers away.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-12-16 at 02:05 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30

The three remaining plants, unceasing in their determination to chomp, strike out mostly at random.

Show
    P1 attacks (1d4)[3] for (3d6)[4][5][6](15)

P2 attacks (1d4)[4] for (3d6)[6][5][4](15)

P3 attacks (1d4)[2] for (3d6)[1][4][4](9)

1-Horation
    2-Lyubob
    3-Mara
    4-Yoshi

Show
    Show

Show