New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Tasha's Caustic Brew (new spell) discussion

Hello all, I was wondering how everyone else feels about this spell personally I happen to like it a great deal, it is basically a save version of Acid Arrow but with a better continuous effect, and much better scaling. The inclusion of Transmute Spell as a metamagic option, I think will drastically improve the spell as well :) switch to which ever element you want it to do, and have them continuously take that damage type.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Tasha's Caustic Brew (new spell) discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    Hello all, I was wondering how everyone else feels about this spell personally I happen to like it a great deal, it is basically a save version of Acid Arrow but with a better continuous effect, and much better scaling. The inclusion of Transmute Spell as a metamagic option, I think will drastically improve the spell as well :) switch to which ever element you want it to do, and have them continuously take that damage type.
    It's honestly a pretty bad spell. It might have been useful if it weren't for the fact that it requires concentration, meaning enemies don't need to waste their action to scrape the acid off, they can just attack you until you lose concentration

That said, it might find use if you're trying to tank. I could see this working for an eldritch knight, battle smith or armorer at low levels
    Last edited by ftafp; 2020-11-17 at 08:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Line Dex save is a bad thing because Dex saves are subject to cover bonuses, and a line can't just originate from the other side of the cover.

It's also an all-or-nothing save, rather than save for half. And if they do fail, they can scrape it off as an action. And while it's good to cost someone an action, it makes it a harder sell to upcast it for that scaling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I want to like it but it just seems poorly executed. Periodical damage is something I would like to see more of but this just has way to many hoops to jump through.
    It's ok for artificer. They just have very few damage options on their list. Doesn't make it a good spell.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2020-11-17 at 09:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Griffon

Damn thanks all, I missed that it was a concentration spell other than that, I thought it would be much better.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's always one use for bad spells.

Traps.
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PattThe View Post
    There's always one use for bad spells.

Traps.
    Do you mean as options? 😉

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AttilatheYeon View Post
    Do you mean as options? 😉
    I thought they meant traps as in environmental hazards. In general DMing is a great time to use some sub optimal spells, for variety or flashiness. Evil wizards killing people with Immolation as a flashy move. Armies communicating by having a select few soldiers who can use scrolls and have a backpack of skywrite scrolls. Can your party crack their code before it changes? An important peace treaty is soon to be signed, and only a certain diplomat knows Tongues, but he's suddenly gone missing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Line Dex save is a bad thing because Dex saves are subject to cover bonuses, and a line can't just originate from the other side of the cover.

It's also an all-or-nothing save, rather than save for half. And if they do fail, they can scrape it off as an action. And while it's good to cost someone an action, it makes it a harder sell to upcast it for that scaling.
    All of the above is true.

Caustic Brew does synergize well with Web.
    I bring this up as a point of amusement, but Caustic Brew also cancels
    Tasha's Hideous Laughter fairly well. After the creature throws off THL,
    your Unseen Servant can wipe off the acid.

I've considered altering the spell to affect objects as well as creatures.
    If the spell could dissolve cover, and create an environmental hazard, then
    Caustic Brews's battlefield control features would be enhanced.

Here is a Sophie's Choice question for everyone:
    Which effect would you select, between these two options:

1) A 2nd level Aganazzar's Scorcher.
    2) An upcast 2nd level Caustic Brew.
    Last edited by Thunderous Mojo; 2020-11-25 at 05:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderous Mojo View Post

Here is a Sophie's Choice question for everyone:
    Which effect would you select, between these two options:

1) A 2nd level Aganazzar's Scorcher.
    2) An upcast 2nd level Caustic Brew.
    Easy, Caustic Brew. I will almost always choose not-fire over fire as a damage type. I'm bored with fire.