New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Firefighter-help me build this Archetype!

We all know the archetype. A quiet and strong man rushes into a burning building, imperiling his life to rescue another. Carrying the child out with his hands he is greeted with a choir of thank yous. Modestly he explains that its all part of his responsibility and he is just glad everyone made it out safely.

He's not much of a fighter or a thinker, he prefers to engage himself in activities with a clear right and wrong, but he acts wisely and can defend himself. After he departs his small hometown to tackle harsher hazards, he finds his role of the firefighter expanded to address and number of natural and supernatural disasters.

Requirements:
    1)Lawful or Neutral Good
    2)Immunity or progressing resistance to fire
    3)Ability to withstand a lot of physical damage
    4)Ability to lift heavy weights and especially people
    5)Ability to break through obstacles and barriers
    6)Ability to neutralize or deter foes without killing them (Grappling?)
    7)Ability to overcome smoke, and perhaps wind, water, snow
    8)Climb, Jump, Survival, Search, Use Rope, some Heal, Balance, Spot, Listen, Sense Motive, Swim,
    9)Wears little to no metal armor
    10)Little to no spellcasting

Goliath is an obvious choice for race. Bonuses to Str and Con, a Massive Build for grappling, and the ability to use several critical skills effectively. Because racial fire resistance doesn't stack with fire resistance from other sources, I decided against any race that doesn't have full fire immunity (and anything with the Fire subtype would obviously be limited in a winter environment).

Armor of Fire Resistance and potions of resist energy would be obviously and equipment necessity. Some healing (potions?) would also be nice. Of course, Strength, Constituion, Fortitude, Reflex, and Grapple bonuses are always welcome. I have a pretty good idea what I would want, although

But the Class is the most important part and I can't seem to decide how to do it. Most of his Strength and Constitution seem to accord with a Barbarian, with the exception that he may need a lot of feats and skills. For feats I was thinking Endurance, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Great Fortitude, Destructive Rage, Blindfight, Weapon Focus (greataxe), Lightning Reflexes. I'm thinking a Barbarian Ranger Fighter multiclass might do the trick, but after a little bit of that madness, I lose focus and am looking for a nice prestige class.

Any ideas? Especially on the class?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Firefighter-help me build this Archetype!

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    We all know the archetype. A quiet and strong man rushes into a burning building, imperiling his life to rescue another. Carrying the child out with his hands he is greeted with a choir of thank yous. Modestly he explains that its all part of his responsibility and he is just glad everyone made it out safely.

He's not much of a fighter or a thinker, he prefers to engage himself in activities with a clear right and wrong, but he acts wisely and can defend himself. After he departs his small hometown to tackle harsher hazards, he finds his role of the firefighter expanded to address and number of natural and supernatural disasters.

Requirements:
    1)Lawful or Neutral Good
    2)Immunity or progressing resistance to fire
    3)Ability to withstand a lot of physical damage
    4)Ability to lift heavy weights and especially people
    5)Ability to break through obstacles and barriers
    6)Ability to neutralize or deter foes without killing them (Grappling?)
    7)Ability to overcome smoke, and perhaps wind, water, snow
    8)Climb, Jump, Survival, Search, Use Rope, some Heal, Balance, Spot, Listen, Sense Motive, Swim,
    9)Wears little to no metal armor
    10)Little to no spellcasting

Goliath is an obvious choice for race. Bonuses to Str and Con, a Massive Build for grappling, and the ability to use several critical skills effectively. Because racial fire resistance doesn't stack with fire resistance from other sources, I decided against any race that doesn't have full fire immunity (and anything with the Fire subtype would obviously be limited in a winter environment).

Armor of Fire Resistance and potions of resist energy would be obviously and equipment necessity. Some healing (potions?) would also be nice. Of course, Strength, Constituion, Fortitude, Reflex, and Grapple bonuses are always welcome. I have a pretty good idea what I would want, although

But the Class is the most important part and I can't seem to decide how to do it. Most of his Strength and Constitution seem to accord with a Barbarian, with the exception that he may need a lot of feats and skills. For feats I was thinking Endurance, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Great Fortitude, Destructive Rage, Blindfight, Weapon Focus (greataxe), Lightning Reflexes. I'm thinking a Barbarian Ranger Fighter multiclass might do the trick, but after a little bit of that madness, I lose focus and am looking for a nice prestige class.

Any ideas? Especially on the class?

Half-gold-dragon ranger 1/Paladin taking power attack

1) K, LG, check.
    2) Fire immunity, check.
    3) d12 hd and a bonus to con, check.
    4) +8 strength and full BAB class, check.
    5) +8 str and full BAB with ability to power attack to easily break objects.
    6) Many options for 'merciful' weapons, alternate class features and abilities such as lay-on-hands to stabilize those put down into negatives. Also, good attack bonus allows -4 to hit to deal subdual. Grappling takes too long.
    7) High consitution and good fortitude save with divine grace allows easily-made Fort saves to resist environmental hazards. High str to deal with wind issues. No exceptional ability to deal with snow or water though.
    8) Everything but balance as a class skill, check.
    9) You don't HAVE to wear heavy armor, but mithral plate is very light and has a very high innate heat resistance (specific heat capacity). Alternately, there's an enchantment that allows you to quickly don/remove armor.
    10) With 3 LA, you arent even getting level 1 spells until level 8 with this build, so I think that qualifies as 'little' spellcasting.

Although to be honest, if you really want a character that fights fires: play a druid. Between healing abilities, create water, quench , summonables, spells that deal with hot and cold, resistance spells and the aid of his animal companion (fire dog?), he really does the best at this role.

Alternately a cleric wouldnt be bad ethier, but a druid comes out on top hands-down.