Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Magog - an apocalyptic osteopathic remedy for normalcy cravings!

Players: 2-4.
    System: linked below.
    Requirements: post daily-ish. Each post should contribute some description of the scene, an action by your character, and possibly some meaningful dialogue. If your stated action might be risky, roll for it in the post.

Concept:
    Feeling a little anxious about what will happen in the next two months?

Inoculate yourself against that angst with a hefty dose of over-the-top apocalyptic pessimism!

Magog is a nightmare game. It imagines what happens if everyone loses their ****.

Magog is a simple game. It's based on Jason Tocci's excellent 24XX engine, which I link to from the project page. You roll one die at a time. The default size is a d6. If you roll 2 or lower, you're screwed. 5+ you're all good. 3 or 4 ... the moderator weighs in with a setback or a partial success. If your character is skilled at something, you roll a bigger die.

Magog is a small game. Like all the 24XX family, it's a zine format with a pretty and evocative cover, a column of rules (here the rules run a few lines over), a page and a half of character generation, and a page of random tables to imply the problems and features of the setting.

Make two or three hours. Gather some friends (online, for safe distance). There's a Discord server (24xx cord). Play to find out: what's the worst that could happen?
    "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what youíre thinking now. Youíre thinking 'Oh my god, thatís treating other people with respect gone mad!'" - Neil Gaiman
    DTRPG and itch
    The Knife - Fusils, Swords, and Alchemy! Long reign the Queen!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Magog - an apocalyptic osteopathic remedy for normalcy cravings!

I don't know anything about the system where do I start? What type of apocalyptic can we expect?

The Orcs are coming, the Orcs are coming.
    The Orcs are here to play.

Sir Rikkan
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2346021

3. - Top - End - #3

The 24XX SRD gives a good feel for the basic mechanics of the system. The Magog rules have specific information for building a character in this campaign.

The apocalypse is just after modern day, the aftermath of political upheaval culminating in ill-advised global warfare that shatters civilization. Your characters are survivors picking through the remnants of civilization in the rubble and ashes of WWIII.
    "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what youíre thinking now. Youíre thinking 'Oh my god, thatís treating other people with respect gone mad!'" - Neil Gaiman
    DTRPG and itch

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I forgot how to roll on here. I was thinking playing a stealth character. A former Soldier perhaps. Who uses his skills to collect bounty money for the highest paying customer. So a hitman/bounty hunter.

Sir Rikkan

5. - Top - End - #5

That sounds like (old life) military (new life) hunter.

Skills: Camping (d8), Shooting (d10), Stalking (d8), Trapping (d8), Intimidation OR Organizing (d8). Camping gear (d8), ranged weapon (d10) x 2, ammo (d8) x 2.

Pick three skills to upgrade from (d6) to (d8) or from (d8) to (d10). You can pick skills other than the base skills listed above.

Describe your affect, appearance, and apparel.

More chargen: (take out the spaces)

[rollv=What did you keep?] 2d12 [/rollv]

[roll=What did you lose?] 1d6 [/roll]

[rollv=Who stayed?] 2d10 [/rollv]

[rollv=Who did you lose?] 2d6 [/rollv]

[rollv=What did you see?] 2d6 [/rollv]

[rollv=Where do you hide?] 2d6 [/rollv]
    DTRPG and itch

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

frown Re: Magog - an apocalyptic osteopathic remedy for normalcy cravings!

Skills: Camping (d10), Shooting (d10), Stalking (d10), Trapping (d8), Intimidation
    (d10). Camping gear (d8), ranged weapon (d10) x 2, ammo (d8) x 2.

appearance, and apparel.
    Adam Wallace
    Human
    5'9""
    200lbs

Iraq veteran hat, blue jeans Black combat boots, Belt, grunt style t shirt and black hoodie. These are the normal apparel for Adam Wallace. Who him self has blue eyes and darck brown hair an long beard.

Not just your average survivor. It was Adam's skills not luck that saved him and the others hidden in the old church. Just like it wasn't luck that he tracked down and killed gang member after gang member responsible for the raiding an looting that took the life of his brother and many of his Neighbors. Mr. Graham, and The Walker were the only other ones to survive that bloody night. At least that Adam,Mr Graham his boss and The Walker knew about.

Were did Adam Wallace get these skills? Some from his childhood growing up hunting and fishing in Arkansas. The other bit of his skills were picked up while he was Infantry Airborne in the United States Army.

The war was bad enough but now it was like the hole country had turned on its self. We thought we had it easy we thought we were safe in small town U.S.A. That was until they came. We call them the raiders. Looks like they were some rage tag Motorcycle club before the war tore the nation apart. We lost everything including our false since of safety. The world was now more dangerous than it had ever been.

a motorcycle (d8) and can of fuel

ranged weapon (d10) x 2, ammo (d8) x 2. Two 30 round magazines.

(d4).
    that gift you meant to get rid of

(d8)

(d8)

(d8) 22oz lifestraw water bottle.

Water proof lighter (d8)
    Last edited by Slayerofundead; 2020-11-22 at 09:58 PM.

Sir Rikkan

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    That sounds like (old life) military (new life) hunter.

Skills: Camping (d8), Shooting (d10), Stalking (d8), Trapping (d8), Intimidation OR Organizing (d8). Camping gear (d8), ranged weapon (d10) x 2, ammo (d8) x 2.

Pick three skills to upgrade from (d6) to (d8) or from (d8) to (d10). You can pick skills other than the base skills listed above.

Describe your affect, appearance, and apparel.

More chargen: (take out the spaces)

[rollv=What did you keep?] 2d12 [/rollv]

[roll=What did you lose?] 1d6 [/roll]

[rollv=Who stayed?] 2d10 [/rollv]

[rollv=Who did you lose?] 2d6 [/rollv]

[rollv=What did you see?] 2d6 [/rollv]

[rollv=Where do you hide?] 2d6 [/rollv]
    What am i doing wrong? I cant get the roll dice to work.

Sir Rikkan

8. - Top - End - #8

I guess "?" doesn't work in a "rollv" tag ...

What did you keep - (2d12)[12][1](13)

What did you lose - (1d6)[3]

Who stayed - (2d10)[9][8](17)

Who did you lose - (2d6)[3][6](9)

What did you see - (2d6)[3][3](6)

Where do you hide - (2d6)[2][6](8)
    DTRPG and itch

9. - Top - End - #9

You kept a motorcycle (d8) and can of fuel (d4). And that gift you meant to get rid of.
    -> the (d8) and (d4) are basically measures of how much use you can get from these things before they break. They can be repaired before they break.

You lost your safety. Tell how.

Your boss, and that person who walks by themself, stayed around.

You lost your sibling, and your worst enemy.

You saw two assaults. You either committed or suffered one of those. You either committed or lost someone to the other.

You hide in an abandoned church.
    DTRPG and itch

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

[QUOTE=Tibbius;24808399]You kept a motorcycle (d8) and can of fuel (d4). And that gift you meant to get rid of.
    -> the (d8) and (d4) are basically measures of how much use you can get from these things before they break. They can be repaired before they break.

You lost your safety. Tell how.

Your boss, and that person who walks by themself, stayed around.

You lost your sibling, and your worst enemy.

You saw two assaults. You either committed or suffered one of those. You either committed or lost someone to the other.

You hide in an abandoned church.[/QUOTE

Sounds awesom. Ill work on my character more. Do i get a gun? Can I pick the type an what's the price limit?

Sir Rikkan

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerofundead View Post
    Sounds awesom. Ill work on my character more. Do i get a gun? Can I pick the type an what's the price limit?
    Ah yeah you get a gun.

Actually you get four picks for items. Pretty much anything. If you spend one pick on an item, it gets (d8) depletion. Two picks, (d10) depletion. Gun and ammo are separate items.

How depletion works: roll the die each time you want to use the item. If you roll a 1, it breaks, or runs out, or you lost it and didn't notice til you needed it. If you roll 2-4, you can use the item but reduce the die one size. (d4) is the smallest depletion die, it doesn't shrink from there.
    DTRPG and itch

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

What city? What part of the world? Can I choose what church im hiding in? Will we all once there's more people start from the same place? What time of year is it?

Sir Rikkan

13. - Top - End - #13

What city? What part of the world? Can I choose what church im hiding in? Will we all once there's more people start from the same place? What time of year is it?
    Pick a city and part of the world - I'll use Google Maps ...

Everyone starts from the city you pick, everyone can choose to be hiding out together or separately.

Winter has come.
    DTRPG and itch

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Pick a city and part of the world - I'll use Google Maps ...

Everyone starts from the city you pick, everyone can choose to be hiding out together or separately.

Winter has come.
    Alright I think Im ready. I dont know what to do about the worst enemy? Does it have to be a person or can it be dealing with the normal world out side a warzone? Since everything is going to be a warzone. Adam should be adjusted to dealing with some situations and the environment.

Sir Rikkan

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I used to think that it would be interesting to see how a rope access technician (RAT) would do in a post-apocalyptic city.

(For those unfamiliar with the term: Rope Access Technicians are generally all purpose handymen that fix things that can only be accessed by ropes. It's often a job that people migrate to if they're also keen hobbyist climbers, since a lot of the same skills translate).

Jack the RAT:

Jack grew up in the city, but figured out early that he could never settle down to most city jobs. Too long indoors and he always got antsy, except for if he was in a climbing wall... and even then, he'd rather climb outdoors whenever weather would allow it. And although he didn't really dislike other people, he always preferred to be around just a few people he liked and trusted, rather than big crowds. But he did like to work with his hands, and his Dad was an electrician... so when he heard about being a Rope Access Technician, he figured that would be the life for him.

Now he camps out on rooftops, since the city below has gone to ****, scavenging what's necessary to survive.

Old life (Trade), new life (Scrapper)? Also, I don't see climbing among the skills, but would it make sense to make up a climbing skill to fit, or shall I just give him a bit of Athletics to represent his old hobby?

EDIT: I've realised this gives me Parts twice over, once at D8 and once at D10. Can I trade one of those out for Tools? Or should I go Rigger, and if so, do the duplicate skills stack at all?
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2020-11-21 at 09:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

What did you keep - (2d12)[1][2](3)

What did you lose - (1d6)[1](1)

Who stayed - (2d10)[6][10](16)

Who did you lose - (2d6)[4][3](7)

What did you see - (2d6)[5][5](10)

Where do you hide - (2d6)[6][1](7)

17. - Top - End - #17

@Slayerofundead, @paddyfool - we need to agree on a setting. Is it a small town or a city? Either way a RAT could live on rooftops, but they'd be a lot less dramatic in a small town, only a couple of stories, and [strike]why would a RAT be in a small town[/strike] oh yeah maybe wind turbine maintenance?

@slayerofundead - the worst enemy has to be a person you lost.

@paddyfool

What did you keep - (2d12)[1][2](3): a motorcycle (d8) and fuel can (d4) - so it looks like you two might have your own small bike club; also, a battery powered chainsaw (d6)

What did you lose - (1d6)[1](1): your dignity.

Who stayed - (2d10)[6][10](16): your child, and the dangerous one.

Who did you lose - (2d6)[4][3](7): your parent or child, and your sibling.

What did you see - (2d6)[5][5](10): hunger. You felt it yourself, and you lost someone to it.

Where do you hide - (2d6)[6][1](7): (on the roof of) the post office?

You might want scrapper because it gives you the Scavenging skill, which is important in this setting for getting the parts you need to fix stuff.

This is a challenging setting.
    DTRPG and itch

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you!

I'm happy to go with small town. Let's say Jack was in the city when things first went down. He had to head out, though, heading first to his Dad Tom's, where Jack's 5 year old son Arthur had just gone to for a holiday. On arrival, he found they were more than half starved, his Dad in particular, who'd made sure that Arthur got the main share of what was there. Jack fed them both up on a scavenged feast, but that was the last straw for his own father, with refeeding syndrome doing its terrible work. Jack and Arthur then headed on this small town to find his sister, but got there too late to find she was dead already. Not sure how to write in "the dangerous one" to this saga. Perhaps he's travelling with his ex / the kid's Mum... but she's emotionally volatile and they're always on the verge of a fight? (Scrub this, I'm making the dangerous one a pet cat. Because a RAT with a pet cat is just thoroughly appropriate). She was only survived by her pet, a Norwegian Forest cat gone semi-feral that Jack's Arthur then adopted and called "Kirby".

Maybe Jack's sister was married to Adam's brother, meaning that we knew each other vaguely from family events?

Mechanically, let's go with Scrapper. I'll fudge it by saying Jack stumbled upon some supplies of this kind on his way into town, and then stashed them / set up shop in an abandoned post office, where he's set up a hideout for him and his son on the roof.

EDIT: That gives Scavenging, Fixing It, and Force for skills. I'll add Camping and Athletics, and rather than invent a Climbing skill, can I upgrade Fixing It to d10? (It's what he did for a job, after all). Climbing can then fit under athletics, and setting up gear under fixing it. (So Scavenging d8, Fixing It d10, Force d8, Camping d8, Athletics d8). Union for the bond.

Ah yeah you get a gun.

Actually you get four picks for items. Pretty much anything. If you spend one pick on an item, it gets (d8) depletion. Two picks, (d10) depletion. Gun and ammo are separate items.
    Gear then (EDITED):
    Parts (d12) from Trade background + Scavenger. Maybe there were some big deliveries that got stuck at the abandoned post office. I'll then spend the four picks on a (d8) melee weapon (a fire axe that Jack found but isn't too confident about using), d8 camping gear (basically a tent & sleeping bags etc. for Jack and Arthur), d8 food (mixed bag of whatever they've scavenged... after finding his Dad half-starved, Jack stocks up wherever possible) and d8 tools.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2020-11-22 at 04:30 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

@Slayerofundead, @paddyfool - we need to agree on a setting. Is it a small town or a city? Either way a RAT could live on rooftops, but they'd be a lot less dramatic in a small town, only a couple of stories, and [strike]why would a RAT be in a small town[/strike] oh yeah maybe wind turbine maintenance?

@slayerofundead - the worst enemy has to be a person you lost.

@paddyfool

What did you keep - (2d12)[1][2](3): a motorcycle (d8) and fuel can (d4) - so it looks like you two might have your own small bike club; also, a battery powered chainsaw (d6)

What did you lose - (1d6)[1](1): your dignity.

Who stayed - (2d10)[6][10](16): your child, and the dangerous one.

Who did you lose - (2d6)[4][3](7): your parent or child, and your sibling.

What did you see - (2d6)[5][5](10): hunger. You felt it yourself, and you lost someone to it.

Where do you hide - (2d6)[6][1](7): (on the roof of) the post office?

You might want scrapper because it gives you the Scavenging skill, which is important in this setting for getting the parts you need to fix stuff.

This is a challenging setting.
    Small town. The church I chose is in the middle of nowhere. Are we going to go with a different random small town?

Sir Rikkan

20. - Top - End - #20

Old Cypress Methodist Church and cemetery on County Road 74 in Dallas County, Arkansas
    What's the nearest town to that? It's far enough off the grid that I can't find it with Bing or Google maps.
    DTRPG and itch

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

This game sounds really cool. I'll find some time to read the srd more extensively and elaborate a character here, but I'm thinking a handyman who had a terrible life and was buried in debt before the apocalypse. Would possibly explore his mixed feelings about actually enjoying the end of the world as it dragged him out if a depressive lifestyle, though it didn't really cure him of his depression.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

What's the nearest town to that? It's far enough off the grid that I can't find it with Bing or Google maps.
    Lol i didn't realize it was that far out of the way. Willow but im not sure if it even has a post office.

Sir Rikkan

23. - Top - End - #23

I mean ... on your still-barely-working motorcycles that's a 45 minute ride to the looted-out Wal-Mart, and neither of you are farmers, so why in the world would you be holed up in Willow? Is there some kind of industry or warehouse or auto dealership or anything there that a scrapper could tear down for parts or that a hunter could use to resupply ammo? Is there a gas station where you might be able to hand-turn the pump to extract some precious drops of fuel for your bikes? Would there be anywhere conceivably near Willow where you could get solar panels to power the gas pumps?
    DTRPG and itch

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not from the USA, but how small is small town? Would somewhere with, say, 10,000 people still count?

EDIT: From a quick play with Google maps, if you're keen on Arkansas, what about Stamps? 1693 people and shrinking as of the 2010 census, and they have both a post office and at least two Churches?

To make the general scheme of my backstory idea fit, what if Jack and Arthur started out in Dallas, had to sacrifice all dignity to camp out on rooftops after their home burned down while the city went to pieces, then headed out to where Jack's father was living in the desert to the west somewhere, found him starving, and inadvertently gave him refeeding syndrome, then headed back east to Stamps where Jack's sister was living?
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2020-11-22 at 02:53 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    This game sounds really cool. I'll find some time to read the srd more extensively and elaborate a character here, but I'm thinking a handyman who had a terrible life and was buried in debt before the apocalypse. Would possibly explore his mixed feelings about actually enjoying the end of the world as it dragged him out if a depressive lifestyle, though it didn't really cure him of his depression.
    Go team handyman! Although as a team, we could probably use a face, farmer or medic, for general skill mix...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I mean ... on your still-barely-working motorcycles that's a 45 minute ride to the looted-out Wal-Mart, and neither of you are farmers, so why in the world would you be holed up in Willow? Is there some kind of industry or warehouse or auto dealership or anything there that a scrapper could tear down for parts or that a hunter could use to resupply ammo? Is there a gas station where you might be able to hand-turn the pump to extract some precious drops of fuel for your bikes? Would there be anywhere conceivably near Willow where you could get solar panels to power the gas pumps?

Not that I know of. I picked this old church. 1: because its out of the way. 2: it has a wood stove. 3: outhouses. 4: Plenty of area to hunt. I dont know exactly were but i think there is a creek near by. There are also very likely deer camps and the people living out here may have there own gasoline storage if its not diesel.

While real world not my first choice of bug out location it would be a good one at least for someone like me and my character. Obviously its not exactly were I would go or I wouldn't share it.

If yall want to start together in a different location thats fine to but I figured this old church would be a good place for my character.

Sir Rikkan

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Not that I know of. I picked this old church. 1: because its out of the way. 2: it has a wood stove. 3: outhouses. 4: Plenty of area to hunt. I dont know exactly were but i think there is a creek near by. There are also very likely deer camps and the people living out here may have there own gasoline storage if its not diesel.

While real world not my first choice of bug out location it would be a good one at least for someone like me and my character. Obviously its not exactly were I would go or I wouldn't share it.

If yall want to start together in a different location thats fine to but I figured this old church would be a good place for my character.
    I can see you've done significantly more personal planning visavis doomsday prepping than I have. Working in a medical role, I've always reckoned that as and when tshtf I have a duty to try to mitigate the impact on people by keeping doing my job for as long as I can, which precludes bugging out. The sum total of my personal disaster prep is making sure I have essential supplies in the house for situations of food shortage, and inadvertently some of my hobbies, e.g. growing crops on my allotment, camping, hiking, foraging etc may be of some utility as and when.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    I can see you've done significantly more personal planning visavis doomsday prepping than I have. Working in a medical role, I've always reckoned that as and when tshtf I have a duty to try to mitigate the impact on people by keeping doing my job for as long as I can, which precludes bugging out. The sum total of my personal disaster prep is making sure I have essential supplies in the house for situations of food shortage, and inadvertently some of my hobbies, e.g. growing crops on my allotment, camping, hiking, foraging etc may be of some utility as and when.
    Is your character going to be medical? Thats a very good skill set to have. I appreciate the people who will have to run twords the situation. If something ever happens on this level. Of course every situation requires a different approach. An everyone's skill set allows them to approach a situation in a different way.

Sir Rikkan

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Is your character going to be medical? Thats a very good skill set to have. I appreciate the people who will have to run twords the situation. If something ever happens on this level. Of course every situation requires a different approach. An everyone's skill set allows them to approach a situation in a different way.
    Apologies, I meant me in RL, not my character in this.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Apologies, I meant me in RL, not my character in this.
    Its cool do you know what type of character your going to play?

Real world though pretty much all I have are my skills learned as a youg kid growing up in the woods an my skills learned while I was in the Infantry an through combat experience. I am also trying to learn some other survival skills to.
    Last edited by Slayerofundead; 2020-11-22 at 12:16 PM.

Sir Rikkan