New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Beast of the Sea: Totally Unusable

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    They allow you to change beast type freely on long rest, this seems more like a "hey an aquatic section, I have something for this!" rather than an option you're meant to take all of the time. It gives the Beast Master versatility to approach problems that isn't packaged inside a spell for a change, that's a feature not a bug.

Edit: It's not even like you're without options, if you find the 5ft on land crippling at some point and can't change it right then and there then just cast Longstrider on the beast and have it dash up to 30 to keep up.
    Sure, but it's not like a cleric not bringing protection from energy is going to have their level 3 spell slots sprinting 10' a round at something that can crawl away prone at 15'. Not having the right niche spell doesn't prevent you from leveraging your spells at all, but an encounter that starts with 30 or 40' between you and enemies makes your ranger's entire flagship build defining feature that holds all of the build value for several of your levels do nothing for 3 or 4 rounds if you happened to think the boat adventure would have fights in the water when the enemy instead just jumps on to your boat.

For longstrider: See OP. Spending spell slots to do that all the time is not going to be good, and waiting until combat starts means you have to be an entire turn behind when fighting starts just to have your extremely slow octopus still need to spend actions to catch up with something merely walking away.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Am I the only one who loves the idea of a backpack octopus?
    This would in fact be great, but in terms of mechanics, if you're stuck to RAW ala something like adventurer's league, or just how most DM's do things in my experience, making it "ride you" like you would a horse requires you to be large, since the beast of the sea is medium, and regardless of what you do to get around it, a DM can veto it by saying you don't have the proper anatomy to be ridden. The other option is to grapple and drag it, but then your speed is halved, and you might be bringing your archer into melee range just to do this janky thing.

I also see a lot of "just use the other ones", which is ironic considering the same argument could be leveled at criticisms of the PHB ranger, which has a lot of fixes in this book, by saying something like "if you want to play a nature warrior, just be a fighter with a leaf on your head".
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound438
    This would in fact be great, but in terms of mechanics, if you're stuck to RAW ala something like adventurer's league, or just how most DM's do things in my experience, making it "ride you" like you would a horse requires you to be large, since the beast of the sea is medium, and regardless of what you do to get around it, a DM can veto it by saying you don't have the proper anatomy to be ridden. The other option is to grapple and drag it, but then your speed is halved, and you might be bringing your archer into melee range just to do this janky thing.

I also see a lot of "just use the other ones", which is ironic considering the same argument could be leveled at criticisms of the PHB ranger, which has a lot of fixes in this book, by saying something like "if you want to play a nature warrior, just be a fighter with a leaf on your head".
    Grappling is the way I'd go, to start. If the speed bothers you, buy a horse with a cart so you can carry an aquarium with you. Or just let the octopus ride the horse. That's a normal fantasy itch for someone to want to scratch, right?
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I choose to believe it’s a typo and should have been 15’ or 25’
    Last edited by Kane0; 2020-11-21 at 02:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    Sure, but it's not like a cleric not bringing protection from energy is going to have their level 3 spell slots sprinting 10' a round at something that can crawl away prone at 15'. Not having the right niche spell doesn't prevent you from leveraging your spells at all, but an encounter that starts with 30 or 40' between you and enemies makes your ranger's entire flagship build defining feature that holds all of the build value for several of your levels do nothing for 3 or 4 rounds if you happened to think the boat adventure would have fights in the water when the enemy instead just jumps on to your boat.

For longstrider: See OP. Spending spell slots to do that all the time is not going to be good, and waiting until combat starts means you have to be an entire turn behind when fighting starts just to have your extremely slow octopus still need to spend actions to catch up with something merely walking away.
    Why would you be doing this all of the time? The only reaon you would ever take Beast of the Sea is if you're doing underwater shenanigans, in case those shenanigans happen to depart on land unexpectantly your beast can still breathe and move on land so you're not completely screwed. You're at a disadvantage, but then again you're at a significant advantage in the water too. If you were locked into your choice I'd totally agree, but you're not so I don't see the big deal. The Beast Master gets to rock under water if it comes up, that's good, if you're trying to use a water centric creature on land regularly that isn't the stat block's problem, it's a significant tactical error on the most fundamental level.

The point of me brining up Longstrider was to highlight that you aren't completely up a certain creek during dry season. It lasts an hour and is a first level slot with no need to concentrate, if you are in the niche scneario (which is what this should be) you can patch the speed. At no point should this be losing you and turns personally or should it be costing your beast dashing for 4 rounds, combat that opens up at 35-40' leaves most melee centric builds at a disadvantage on turn 1 anyway.

Summary: It exists for the same reason Water Breathing and the amphibious option of Alter Self does, it gives you options. If you choose to lock yourself into those options, or utilise them at the wrong time then that falls on you, not the option.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TigerT20 View Post
    Sorry, I'm still wondering why an amphibious/semi-amphibious animal like a crab, crocodile, octopus, giant axolotl etc is considered a more niche companion than... a literal fish
    "Giant axolotl" is not a thing that had ever occurred to me before, which is genuinely tragic because it means I've wasted years of my life not having them in my fantasy worlds.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

so, this is silly.

but a phantom steed is a resource that can be replenished in the middle of nowhere (including when you've just climbed out of the ocean), and if you take the ritual caster feat for wizard you'll get access to a bunch of other handy rituals, including one which conveniently will allow you to join your companion under the water without drowning.

7. - Top - End - #37

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"When you finish a long rest, you can summon a different primal beast. The new beast appears in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of you, and you choose its stat block and appearance. If you already have a beast from this feature, it vanishes when the new beast appears."

So you can only summon it first thing in the morning? If you could do it anytime (once per day) then you could simply resummon when you reach the water. And hope you're not coming back out of the water the same day.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I'm with Foxhound on this one, this is really bad design.

The Land beast has a 40 ft speed and 40 ft climb, and a charge, so they can move 20 ft, hit and deal and extra 1d6 damage with a chance of prone. That means is can deal 1d8+1d6+2+PB every turn is can move.

The Sea beast has a 60 ft swim, 5 ft move, can breath underwater and has a 1d6+2+PB attack with grapple, action to escape.

So, if an enemy is 20 ft away on land... the land beast moves up and hits them and does let's say average of 13 damage, and knocks them prone. The sea beast... dashes for two turns, and attacks on the 3rd turn. It will never catch the enemy on land if that enemy moves even a little bit.

Sea beast is utterly useless on land. But what about the reverse?

The enemy is 20 ft away in water. The land beast swims up to 20 ft, hits for an average of 13 damage, and knocks them prone (if that applies in water) They would not have disadvantage on the attack most likely, because I do not believe that those rules apply to natural attacks, only to weapon attacks. The Sea beast swims up, hits for 8.5 damage and grapples. Granted, is the swimming enemy is more than 20 ft away, then the land beast will need to take extra turns, but we set both distances the same, and increasing the sea enemy distance means making the sea beast even more useless on land.

So, let us look at a few other scenarios.

We are on a boat, enemies attack. If the enemies climb up the boat, the Sea beast is on land. If we put the beast in the water... it is by itself against the entire enemy force.

Let us say we start fighting in the water, but need to climb back up the boat? The Sea beast literally has to dash to climb 5ft up the side of the boat. Meaning in a decent sized vessel that is say 10 ft from sea to deck, requires two turns of dashing for the Sea beast to climb back onto the deck.

Go underwater in a lake, and find a cave? Sea beast becomes useless the moment you hit the ground inside the cave, which is probably where most of the action is happening.

The only time it is useful is if the party is underwater, fighting at a medium distance, for the entire day or adventure. And even then, the Land Beast is doing decent underwater. With a casting of longstrider it can move 25 ft underwater per turn. More than most of your party members, and it hits harder.

So.. yeah, the Sea beast is worthless as written. My solution? Give it a land speed of 20 ft. Just like some of the gators, frogs, and lizards in the book. Then it is superior in the water, but not entirely useless outside of it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmancer View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Foxhound on this one, this is really bad design.

The Land beast has a 40 ft speed and 40 ft climb, and a charge, so they can move 20 ft, hit and deal and extra 1d6 damage with a chance of prone. That means is can deal 1d8+1d6+2+PB every turn is can move.

The Sea beast has a 60 ft swim, 5 ft move, can breath underwater and has a 1d6+2+PB attack with grapple, action to escape.

So, if an enemy is 20 ft away on land... the land beast moves up and hits them and does let's say average of 13 damage, and knocks them prone. The sea beast... dashes for two turns, and attacks on the 3rd turn. It will never catch the enemy on land if that enemy moves even a little bit.

Sea beast is utterly useless on land. But what about the reverse?

The enemy is 20 ft away in water. The land beast swims up to 20 ft, hits for an average of 13 damage, and knocks them prone (if that applies in water) They would not have disadvantage on the attack most likely, because I do not believe that those rules apply to natural attacks, only to weapon attacks. The Sea beast swims up, hits for 8.5 damage and grapples. Granted, is the swimming enemy is more than 20 ft away, then the land beast will need to take extra turns, but we set both distances the same, and increasing the sea enemy distance means making the sea beast even more useless on land.

So, let us look at a few other scenarios.

We are on a boat, enemies attack. If the enemies climb up the boat, the Sea beast is on land. If we put the beast in the water... it is by itself against the entire enemy force.

Let us say we start fighting in the water, but need to climb back up the boat? The Sea beast literally has to dash to climb 5ft up the side of the boat. Meaning in a decent sized vessel that is say 10 ft from sea to deck, requires two turns of dashing for the Sea beast to climb back onto the deck.

Go underwater in a lake, and find a cave? Sea beast becomes useless the moment you hit the ground inside the cave, which is probably where most of the action is happening.

The only time it is useful is if the party is underwater, fighting at a medium distance, for the entire day or adventure. And even then, the Land Beast is doing decent underwater. With a casting of longstrider it can move 25 ft underwater per turn. More than most of your party members, and it hits harder.

So.. yeah, the Sea beast is worthless as written. My solution? Give it a land speed of 20 ft. Just like some of the gators, frogs, and lizards in the book. Then it is superior in the water, but not entirely useless outside of it.
    Anything that doesn't have a swim speed gets disadvantage on melee weapon attacks, so that would apply to the Beast of the Land as well.

Then there's the whole it not being able to breathe under water thing...

The Beast of the Sea is not useless when used in it's appropriate environment, underwater sections (and even whole adventures) are a thing, this is just an option for those occasions and not really intended to be used otherwise by the looks of it.

Though if pepole actually have a problem with this then just ask to drop the swim speed down a little and bump up the land speed accordingly...

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Someone got stuck with playing Aquaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

11. - Top - End - #41

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Someone got stuck with playing Aquaman.
    Which (iteration of) Aquaman?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Which (iteration of) Aquaman?
    There is only one Aquaman.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessEternal View Post
    Is it really worth anyone's time to complain
    Do you know which forums you’re posting on?

😀😀😀

JK love you guys and your ability to derail interesting discussion with pages of bickering over pedantics
    Last edited by JackalTornMoons; 2020-11-22 at 08:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Anything that doesn't have a swim speed gets disadvantage on melee weapon attacks, so that would apply to the Beast of the Land as well.

The Beast of the Sea is not useless when used in it's appropriate environment, underwater sections (and even whole adventures) are a thing, this is just an option for those occasions and not really intended to be used otherwise by the looks of it.

Though if pepole actually have a problem with this then just ask to drop the swim speed down a little and bump up the land speed accordingly...
    A big difference though is that the spells that support land creatures in water are a lot better than the spells that support the beast of the sea on land - Longstrider is pretty cheap to use once in a while, but most of your campaign is probably boots on some kind of ground, so you'd have to spend a lot of your daily resources on this just to keep up with travel pace. "get a horse" doesn't always work, because once again, a DM can just veto this on the basis of not having the right anatomy. On the other hand, water breathing is a spell on the ranger's own list that lasts 24 hours, benefits the entire party, and is a ritual if the wizard or cleric takes it. Not having a swim speed can be hampering to the beast of land, but having an attack at disadvantage is probably better on average than not having an attack at all because you're too far away.

I would like to have it be like 20/40 or something, and I would certainly allow it if I were DMing, but I wish it was just in the book that way so I don't have to argue with "no homebrew ever" DM's for me to play this. "just rule it differently" doesn't work when I want to actually play a class myself.
    Show

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

A big difference though is that the spells that support land creatures in water are a lot better than the spells that support the beast of the sea on land - Longstrider is pretty cheap to use once in a while, but most of your campaign is probably boots on some kind of ground, so you'd have to spend a lot of your daily resources on this just to keep up with travel pace. "get a horse" doesn't always work, because once again, a DM can just veto this on the basis of not having the right anatomy. On the other hand, water breathing is a spell on the ranger's own list that lasts 24 hours, benefits the entire party, and is a ritual if the wizard or cleric takes it. Not having a swim speed can be hampering to the beast of land, but having an attack at disadvantage is probably better on average than not having an attack at all because you're too far away.

I would like to have it be like 20/40 or something, and I would certainly allow it if I were DMing, but I wish it was just in the book that way so I don't have to argue with "no homebrew ever" DM's for me to play this. "just rule it differently" doesn't work when I want to actually play a class myself.
    I never suggested (and wouldn't) getting a horse to solve an animal speed issue.

Water Breathing allows you to be underwater for a significant period of time, it does nothing else to help you with the various hindrances of being submerged. There's an aside that there's a two level gap between getting to chose a beast and a fullcaster being able to choose that spell and 6 level gap for the Ranger.

This is also such a niche negative, you're only going to choose this beast if you're going to be dealing with underwater (or at the very least in water) section that's more than just a single obstacle. So sure, you could get caught on land and at a disadvantage, but you had a huge advantage for the bulk of that section (and do have tools to mitigate the speed issue). If this was a case of the flying creature, not the sea, then I'd understand this more as it's a more universal choice, but the combination of when you'll choose the beast with the even lower amount of time it could be a downside just don't seem significant enough to me.

On the topic of disadvantage on attacks for the land underwater, it's a pretty significant nerf and the movement speed is still so low that the beast could easily lose at least one turn before attacking, whilst being on that creature's home turf.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground

Could cast Fly on it?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Could this problem have been addressed adequately by letting you choose when you summon a Beast of the Land if it gets either a Climb speed or Amphibiousness + Swim Speed? Would that have made it too good compared to Beast of the Air? Or would Swimming Land Beast be considered superior to Climbing Land Beast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sindeloke View Post
    "Giant axolotl" is not a thing that had ever occurred to me before, which is genuinely tragic because it means I've wasted years of my life not having them in my fantasy worlds.
    giant axolotl mini :D (from reaper miniatures)

When I first read the top post, I was like.. why would a water compagnion work anywhere else except for underwater. It is a specific tool with for a specific situation (underwater campaigns).
    But people have made good points that a lot of campaigns are amphibious.. on a boat, in a marsh etc, you want to move in both places..
    I think I would rule that the land beast either has a 20ft climb OR swim speed. And if it has a swim speed the penalties of attacking underwater don't apply. The CON modifier # minutes to hold your breath are generous already, so I would just keep that.
    Last edited by Mork; 2020-11-23 at 04:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

I thought the disadvantage applied only to weapons, but even if it is all attacks, that is the same thing the rest of the party is dealing with.

As for not breathing underwater, while true, the Beast can hold its breath for 3 minutes and 2 rounds of combat (going off memory) and since most combats barely last ten rounds, it is unlikely to be an issue for short periods of time.

And yes, you might have a whole adventure underwater... but I've certainly never seen it. The longest underwater I've ever seen was a single combat. And half the time the party either stayed out of the water or used Control Water to create dry land anyways. In 99% of all cases, the Beast of the Sea is never going to be used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Could cast Fly on it?
    I was wondering if a fly speed would count for how fast you could swim. Not sure how that gets ruled RAW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmancer View Post
    I thought the disadvantage applied only to weapons, but even if it is all attacks, that is the same thing the rest of the party is dealing with.

As for not breathing underwater, while true, the Beast can hold its breath for 3 minutes and 2 rounds of combat (going off memory) and since most combats barely last ten rounds, it is unlikely to be an issue for short periods of time.

And yes, you might have a whole adventure underwater... but I've certainly never seen it. The longest underwater I've ever seen was a single combat. And half the time the party either stayed out of the water or used Control Water to create dry land anyways. In 99% of all cases, the Beast of the Sea is never going to be used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering if a fly speed would count for how fast you could swim. Not sure how that gets ruled RAW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The disadvantage applies to melee weapon attacks, which should include all melee attacks that aren't spell attacks. The other PCs will be subjected to it, unless they switch to a weapon that doesn't suffer from the disadvantage (basically piercing weapons). Though more party members being at disadvantage isn't better... It just means the beast isn't the only one at disadvantage.

Movement speed wise, I believe when something refers to movement it defaults to ground movement, as swim, climb and fly speeds are always explicitly labeled as such.

As for holding you breath yes, if you're ever under water for a single combat then holding your breath isn't going to be an issue for anyone that has a Con of +1 and above. Those are not the situations that you switch to a sea beast for.

I think it's okay and assumed that a sea beast will be used the least, it's a niche that adds versatility to the Beast master, not the de facto choice, that's the land beast and always will be.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

See, that's what you get for playing with formless blob of stats instead of an actual (well, imaginary, but you know what I mean) animal.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

I’m not sure what problem there is with a “land” speed of 5ft? What kind of “aquatic” creature do you want to hangout with on land?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Have people considered that both players and characters can do the things that are not the most tactically optimal?

Like has noone here ever had a player that made a choice based entirely off thematics instead of strength? If I wanna play Steve Irwin the Beastmaster, picking Beast of the Land and just saying 'well the crocodile is just a bad swimmer' feels... wrong.

I'm not saying that the Beast of the Sea should be just as good on land as the BotL, but it should still have viability on land, but just not it's full potential. Like... the BotL has in water.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TigerT20 View Post
    Have people considered that both players and characters can do the things that are not the most tactically optimal?

Like has noone here ever had a player that made a choice based entirely off thematics instead of strength? If I wanna play Steve Irwin the Beastmaster, picking Beast of the Land and just saying 'well the crocodile is just a bad swimmer' feels... wrong.

I'm not saying that the Beast of the Sea should be just as good on land as the BotL, but it should still have viability on land, but just not it's full potential. Like... the BotL has in water.
    People keep wanting this, but I can't think of a single animal that would actually fit as a justification for this.

Crocodiles aren't amphibious in the D&D sense, they hold their breath and so aren't applicable.

The beast of the sea appears to be based on an Octopus/Giant Octopus middle ground (swim speed of a Giant, land speed of regular, medium instead of small or large). Both of those creatures have abyssmal land speeds, they're Ocotpi, why would they have a competent land speed?

The best argument I can see for this is the frog/Giant frog, they're amphibious and have a more useable swim speed. Problem is their swim speed and land speed are equal, so you'd likely end up with a beast that's mediocre at both at that rate.

There doesn't seem to be any precedent for an amphibious creature that has a high swim speed but competent land speed and it doesn't even make sense for there to be one...

25. - Top - End - #55

HalflingRogueGirl

I'm honestly confused why so many people seem set on comparing sea and lan beast on the assumption that you'll still be having most of your adventuring day on land. If that's the assumption you're running under, why take the sea beast at all. If you're in an underwater campaign, sea beast compares quite well to land beast on land. It's intended for certain situations. I don't see that it needs to be competitive outside its niche. Giving it a fly speed would be odd, wouldn't it. But the arguments don't seem to compare how bad a land beast is a hitting a creature flying several feet up compared to a beast of the air.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Mork View Post
    When I first read the top post, I was like.. why would a water compagnion work anywhere else except for underwater. It is a specific tool with for a specific situation (underwater campaigns).
    But people have made good points that a lot of campaigns are amphibious.. on a boat, in a marsh etc, you want to move in both places..
    I think I would rule that the land beast either has a 20ft climb OR swim speed. And if it has a swim speed the penalties of attacking underwater don't apply. The CON modifier # minutes to hold your breath are generous already, so I would just keep that.
    This is pretty much where I land. They included a fish option -- for fishy situations. Not sure how this is a problem. In previous versions of the game, there might be entire prestige classes dedicated to living underwater and riding sharks, or AD&D or BECMI race choices where breathing air took a spell. This thing takes one night's sleep to change out, which is honestly pretty minimal a price (again, in previous versions one would need at least that much time to change out spell load-outs to prepare for an underwater foray, if not hunting down an Apparatus of Kwalish or similar).

That said, What I do think is missing is a better option for the amphibious/semi-aquatic adventure. This is an issue with the slow rollout of supplements/lack of product for this edition -- perfectly reasonable options are seen as a problem because they aren't something else (that is needed or wanted). In days past, alongside this book with the three basic types, there would be a Dragon magazine article with a bunch of specialty options like amphibious and glider and digger and maybe even splitting the fliers into slower-but-rugged, ultrafast, and maneuverable or similar.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    I’m not sure what problem there is with a “land” speed of 5ft? What kind of “aquatic” creature do you want to hangout with on land?
    People keep wanting this, but I can't think of a single animal that would actually fit as a justification for this.
    as per my original post, giant crab.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    I'm honestly confused why so many people seem set on comparing sea and lan beast on the assumption that you'll still be having most of your adventuring day on land. If that's the assumption you're running under, why take the sea beast at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    This is pretty much where I land. They included a fish option -- for fishy situations. Not sure how this is a problem.
    Once again, ironic to make this argument when we had to complain for how many years that rangers getting bonuses to tracking and roughing through the wilderness are dead features in campaigns that don't feature tracking and roughing through the wilderness before they fixed that, in this very book. Once again, saying "just use the beast of the land" is the same as saying "just play a fighter", but the question remains, why does the ranger have to be comparatively useless outside of those situations? And they changed a whole pile of ranger features for this, and rangers weren't even so bad at being fighters compared to how useless beast of the sea is when an enemy is merely 15 feet away from the water.
    Last edited by Foxhound438; 2020-11-23 at 09:40 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Colossus in the Playground

Once again, saying "just use the beast of the land" is the same as saying "just play a fighter",
    It's not the same thing, though; it's a daily choice, not a permanent or even long-term one. Playing a fighter vs. a ranger is a permanent choice.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Last time I did water stuff I took a giant (medium size) otter.

Frankly though, if you're doing "underwater" for long enough for breathing to matter then you're talking about everyone having water breathing because otherwise only one player gets to do anything.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Once again, ironic to make this argument when we had to complain for how many years that rangers getting bonuses to tracking and roughing through the wilderness are dead features in campaigns that don't feature tracking and roughing through the wilderness before they fixed that, in this very book. Once again, saying "just use the beast of the land" is the same as saying "just play a fighter", but the question remains, why does the ranger have to be comparatively useless outside of those situations? And they changed a whole pile of ranger features for this, and rangers weren't even so bad at being fighters compared to how useless beast of the sea is when an enemy is merely 15 feet away from the water.
    A giant crab has speed parity, 30/30 at which point it makes a pretty lousy water specialist creature as a lot/most of the time specialist creatures will have their specialst speed be higher than the PC average of 30ft. If you want someting that can act in land and water at the drop of a hat, then just pick and deal with a Giant Crab, the stock BM rules allow for that. It's going to be worse in almost every conceivable way, but it won't have that crippling land speed you appear to be looking for in a water option right?

I'm also curious, is this the only example? If that's the case your expectations are based on an exception whereas the beast blocks seem to be trying to generically represent the average abilities of each environment's creatures.

If there is any chance whatsovever that you will be fighting on land any time soon just don't pick the Beast of the Sea, you don't like that ("just play a Fighter!") but at the same time you're taking a specialist creature out of its specialist environment and complaining about its performance (which coincidentally does not map with the Fighter/Ranger comparison you make).