New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Arcane Artist (a rogue subclass)

Hello, I'm officially starting my second batch of 5e subclasses!
    I'm starting with rogue this time and this time it won't be nearly as broken as the cultist (I hope).
    Anyways here it is:

Arcane artist (Rogue subclass)
    Arcane artists are magic painters who draw power from a mystical being called the paint witch… An ancient being of immense power gifted with the ability to shape the fabric of reality as if it were her painting. Rogues who follow her are bestowed the rainbow paintbrush, a brush that can shape reality.

Arcane brush
    Starting at the 3rd level, you gain the ability to summon a rainbow paintbrush. While wielding it have the ability to cast the minor illusion and prestidigitation cantrips at will using your intelligence modifier.
    In addition you have the ability to step into paintings as long as they are large enough. You and whatever you are carrying or wearing can move into the painting and anything in the painting can move out of the painting if you wish. If the painting is destroyed while you are inside it you are immediately ejected and take 1d6 points of force damage.

Rainbow shield
    Starting at the 3rd level, when you are hit with a ranged attack you may add your intelligence modifier to your ac by drawing a quick shield in front of you. Once you use this ability you may not use it again until you complete a short or long rest. In addition after you use this ability you may roll a d6 at the start of each of your turns. On a 6 you regain the use of this ability.

Natural painter
    Starting at the 3rd level, you gain proficiency in painter’s supplies. You also gain expertise in painter’s supplies as well meaning you double your proficiency bonus with checks made with said tool.

Substitute
    Starting at the 9th level, you can use an action to paint an uncanny substitute of yourself. This substitute has limited movement and cannot attack. While this substitute is visible to a foe you can hide once as a free action on your turn.

Deflect
    Starting at the 9th level, when an attack misses you because of your rainbow shield ability, roll a d6, on a 5 or 6 the attack is shot back at the attacker hitting them instead. The attack misses if their ac is higher then their attack roll however.

Uncanny paint
    Starting at the 13th level, in the span of a minute you can paint a non living object with your rainbow paintbrush. After the minute the object becomes a real object. This object can be no bigger than a human and cost no more then the amount of gold you currently possess. The object melts if wet, damaged or if it deals damage.

Paint step
    Starting at the 13th level, when you go inside a painting you may use a bonus action to teleport to a different painting that you have seen within the past day, as long as you could fit in that 1 as well.

Master deflection
    Starting at the 17th level, when you block a ranged attack with your rainbow you don’t need to wait until a short or long rest to have the shield recharge. In addition you now need to roll a 3-6 to reflect an attack.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Arcane Artist (a rogue subclass)

Why the rogue for this archetype? This fits more of a spellcaster, like the sorcerer/bard.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Not going to lie, you got a point.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You know instead of making a bard or sorcerer archetypes, how about a wizard archetype. While the wizard holds their rainbow brush in their hand they may use their charisma modifier instead of intelligence modifier when determining the spell attack and spell save DC of their wizard spells.

The resources that they would use in order to fuel the archetype abilities would be Magical Paint, and they get a number of Paint equal to their charisma modifier per day.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2020-11-21 at 10:47 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    You know instead of making a bard or sorcerer archetypes, how about a wizard archetype. While the wizard holds their rainbow brush in their hand they may use their charisma modifier instead of intelligence modifier when determining the spell attack and spell save DC of their wizard spells.

The resources that they would use in order to fuel the archetype abilities would be Magical Paint, and they get a number of Paint equal to their charisma modifier per day.
    I really do like this idea. Though I've already finished the second batch. I think I'll revise the subclasses a bit more before I put them up online in a more professional way.