New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Looking for a "Wolf Shaman"-style class

Has anyone designed a Druid variant that focuses on transforming to and summoning a single animal type only? I've got a player who wants to play a Wolf Druid; i.e. Druid who turns into progressively bigger wolves and only summons wolves and only talks to wolves and has a pet wolf and so on. Which seems reasonable enough, a classic fantasy archetype. Problem is, any of the Druid subclasses has much of its power in the variety of creatures it can turn into and summon and such. Has anyone made a decent "single animal Shaman"-class for 5e?
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Looking for a "Wolf Shaman"-style class

I have done it in 3rd ed for a lycanthrope NPC, but it was an adversary so balance was not an issue.

If you are curious I can dig it up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I designed a magic item that granted improved wolf forms to a moon druid once.

You'd get a set of boosts when you transformed into a wolf or dire wolf that made them better, baseline.

Then, as your CR limit increased, you gained even more boosts, keeping up with the higher CR competition and a bit more.

You kept your ability to transform into other forms as well, I just made the wolf forms more efficient.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

One of my players was very into her 4th edition Druid. The ability to go in and out of “beast form” at will was fun for her however, 5e is a bit tricky.

First I gave her the ability to cosmetically transform into a beast no stat changes no size changes she simply look like an beast.
    Second I chose the barbarian(totem) class using rage as a dire beast form.
    Then she would choose totems that were appropriate for her ideal beast form.

For your case when it comes to summoning wolves. Replace the level 10 ability with summon beast.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2020-11-20 at 01:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I have done it in 3rd ed for a lycanthrope NPC, but it was an adversary so balance was not an issue.

If you are curious I can dig it up.
    I'd be interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    I designed a magic item that granted improved wolf forms to a moon druid once.

You'd get a set of boosts when you transformed into a wolf or dire wolf that made them better, baseline.

Then, as your CR limit increased, you gained even more boosts, keeping up with the higher CR competition and a bit more.

You kept your ability to transform into other forms as well, I just made the wolf forms more efficient.
    Do you have the numbers available? That could be useful to me with the numeric changes you made to the wolf shapes. I was thinking of something along the same lines anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    One of my players was very into her 4th edition Druid. The ability to go in and out of “beast form” at will was fun for her however, 5e is a bit tricky.

First I gave her the ability to cosmetically transform into a beast no stat changes no size changes she simply look like an beast.
    Second I chose the barbarian(totem) class using rage as a dire beast form.
    Then she would choose totems that were appropriate for her ideal beast form.

For your case when it comes to summoning wolves. Replace the level 10 ability with summon beast.
    Mmhm, she already started off as a Druid so I have to go down a slightly different path but thanks for this nevertheless. In any case, I plan on having a scaling beast form to work with and then Conjure Animals kinda takes care of itself; maybe give the magic fangs ability of a Shepherd eventually but just the fact that higher level slots can summon a greater number of wolves goes a long way to ensure the scaling.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The monk is also a good option.
    Still provide her with the ability to cosmetically change into a beast.
    Use the four elements archetype as a base, for more druid related spells.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Taking a look through the Compendium in my sig, this is what I found.

Baphomet's Skinwalker looks like it can do exactly what you want, save for it not being a druid.

Morto_Ra's Skinchanger can do a limited version of what you're asking for - one of it's subclasses grants an animal companion and the main class grants shapeshifting.

Any of the classes from the section below focus on turning into one specific form. Most of them lack any ability to summon creatures. It is worth noting, however, that theVoidWatches' version does gain the ability to command beasts at 18th level.

Lycan/Lycanthrope

If you want druid-specific variants, here are a few subclasses that might fit what you're looking for.

These two give animal companions:
    Circle of the Beast by Yakk
    Druid Archetype: Natures Ally; Putting the companion back in animal companion by AmbientRaven

And this one focuses on summoning:
    Druid Archetype: Circle of the Wild Hunt by ASchmidt