New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fire of the Forsaken 2 IC (based on a concept by In4Dimensions)

When the first of the wranglers explodes beside her, Erizat instinctively raises her spear in an effort to block pieces of flying viscera. Muttering a sylvan curse as she wipes away the bloodied bits obscuring the slits in her helmet, she turns to the second wrangler. She says nothing to the man, but she does take a step back while she waits to see if he will suffer a similar fate.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Reflex Save: (d20+5)[8]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The blinding flash of fire and body parts catches everyone off guard, but some react faster than others:

Ezora, Ros, Thar, and San take 10 points of fire damage and are dazzled. (Unless they have fire resistance 10+)
    Malik, Erizat and the remaining rustler take 20 points of fire damage and are dazzled.
    The front of the tavern is severely damaged and the wood may not be safe to walk upon.

The rustler is almost killed by S&T (dropping his sword and dying) before Malik's cure hits him. (Everyone saw the post with Malik's healing?)
    He re-opens his eyes, wet with tears and clearly having an anxiety attack, a panic attack, or both. (I'm not a doctor.)

Stomper starts trotting back toward the tavern. (There's no room to gallop/run.) Other horses flee in random directions.

The barmaid and busboy retreat into the kitchen, sobbing. The dwarves retreat toward the back of the room. Margaretta looks alarmed, but was out of range of the blast. Yokthrok belches disgustingly and tries again to stand up.

Everyone may go in the order in which your country joined the United Nations or whenever you read this.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger

Roger concentrates staring at the scene. He does not do much otherwise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic round 2: number of different auras, including lingering auras, and max aura strength.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Malik walks slowly to remaining thug and carefully lays a hand on his chest, concentrating as he attempts to chase out the corruption that infests him.

"You will answer for your actions here, but first I will see to it that you can do so."

Then, to Sanamin:

"I know the anger you feel, but stay it a moment. There is more in play here than we know."

Show
    Move action to close the gap with the enemy, standard action and two spell points to use Break Enchantment on him, attempting to expunge whatever curse or other magic lays on him, with MSB rolls in order:
    Spoiler: I don't know how many effects, so I'll roll a few
    Show

(1d20+2)[9]
    (1d20+2)[20]
    (1d20+2)[6]
    (1d20+2)[12]
    (1d20+2)[10]

If the dazzle effect is considered a magical effect and is ended by this, Malik begins a new sequence, once again imbuing with Life.

If I was within 5 ft of him, instead of a move action, Malik will make a 5 ft. step and them use his move action to grab the man's fallen sword so that he can't try anything with it.
    Last edited by Hellpyre; 2020-12-05 at 10:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 3, Sanamin's Status
    Show
    Sanamin Takalher
    Male True Neutral Halfling Goliath Druid/Vanguard Slayer, Level 2, Init 7, HP 22/28, Speed 20 ft
    AC 21, Touch 15, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 8, Will 7, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Lance (10 GP) +6 (1d6+2, 20/x3)
    MW Scimitar (315 GP) +6 (1d4+2, 18-20/x2)
    MW Hide Armor (165 GP), MW Heavy Wooden Shield (157 GP) (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 19, Con 17, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 11
    Condition None

With a scowl at the dinosaur rustler Sanamin whistles sharply and both he and Thargril cease their attack. "Stay down or I won't hold back," he warns the man as he rubs at his eyes with one hand.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Both Sanamin and Thargril will delay their action unless the man continues to fight. If he behaves they will refrain from further attacks. If he does anything threatening they will (probably) kill him.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Roslayn winces ast he fires wash over her, then she reaches out to the burns on her shoulder. A pulse of healing as she soothes the burns and asks "Is anyone else hurt? Who needs help?"

OOC
    Cure liht wounds on self (1d8+2)[10]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #67

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Rosalyn

Roslayn winces ast he fires wash over her, then she reaches out to the burns on her shoulder. A pulse of healing as she soothes the burns and asks "Is anyone else hurt? Who needs help?"

OOC
    Cure liht wounds on self [roll0]
    Remember that you got 16 hp healing from Malik. I don't think you need a CLW on top of that.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    Remember that you got 16 hp healing from Malik. I don't think you need a CLW on top of that.
    Cracking. That's good news.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

As Erizat tries to step back from the remaining wrangler, sudden pain nearly brings her to one knee, forcing her to lean against her spear to remain upright. Protruding from her side is a shard of bone-turned-projectile, while the arm that holds her spear is blackened and charred. With a labored grunt she pulls the piece of dinosaur thief from her abdomen and tosses it to the ground. A moment later, Malik's healing energy knits the wound shut and soothe the flesh on her arm.

"Thank you," she says to the robed man between labored breaths.

10. - Top - End - #70

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    Malik walks slowly to remaining thug and carefully lays a hand on his chest, concentrating as he attempts to chase out the corruption that infests him. "You will answer for your actions here, but first I will see to it that you can do so."

Show
    Move action to close the gap with the enemy, standard action and two spell points to use Break Enchantment on him, attempting to expunge whatever curse or other magic lays on him, with MSB rolls in order:

If the dazzle effect is considered a magical effect and is ended by this, Malik begins a new sequence, once again imbuing with Life.

You can do multiple Break Enchantments and start a new sequence in one standard action?

If I was within 5 ft of him, instead of a move action, Malik will make a 5 ft. step and them use his move action to grab the man's fallen sword so that he can't try anything with it.
    You were not, so the sword lies in the dirt. Your magic washes over him, though, and he looks around confused and still panicky. His eyes dart from Malik to Sanamin to Thargril.

Detect magic round 2: number of different auras, including lingering auras, and max aura strength.
    Roger, you get only Malik's magic energies. Nothing else seems to be at play here. Stomper double moves closer to Roger.

Rosalyn, only the remaining rustler appears very injured at this moment.

Erizat (I love the wordsmithing.)

Everyone may go.
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2020-12-10 at 07:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger

Roger continues to detect magical auras. "This one seems clean, but I have trobuble finding the lingering auras of the exploded one, so this does not necessarily mean a thing."

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic round 3: the strength and location of each aura.
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+4)[10] vs Break Enchantment
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+4)[10] vs Sleeves of Many Garments

Please confirm that the expected lingering auras (namely, of the possession and the explosion) and Rosalyn's scrolls do not register.

12. - Top - End - #72

HalflingRogueGirl

[/spoiler]

You can do multiple Break Enchantments and start a new sequence in one standard action?
    Break Enchantment hits all the magic on a targetted creature.
    Spoiler: Text
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Break Enchantment
    As a special application of restore, you may spend an additional spell point to remove all magic from the target that has a duration instead of restoring mind, body, or soul. This may be used against curses including cursed equipment, although it does not remove the curse from the equipment and instead suppresses the effect long enough for the item to be removed.

Instead of a saving throw, you must succeed at a magic skill check against each magical effect in order to remove it. You may choose not to remove certain effects if you so desire (for example, you may target only harmful effects and not beneficial ones). This counts as using the break enchantment or remove curse spell against those spells and effects that specify they can only be removed through those spells. This has no effect on other instantaneous effects.
    And removing the dazzled condition from a creature with a standard action ability is one of the openers that starts a sequence.
    Spoiler: Text
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by openers
    Heal: Restore hit points to an ally or remove ability drain, ability damage, or the blinded, dazed, frightened, nauseated, shaken, sickened, or stunned conditions with an ability that requires at least a standard action.

So it is possible to hit multiple effects and start a new sequence if I had rolled well...but my rolls seemed quite poor, and I don't know if the dazzle is a magical effect, or a lingering condition from an instantanious effect (if it is the second, Break Enchantment won't touch it, although Restore Body would be able to anyways). Mostly I was hoping whatever demonic oversight they have was a curse effect.

Malik will probably try one more time, but Roger not picking up any magic is disheartening for that working.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

THe woman looks about. "Why, why would they explode like that? Its unnatural." Looking back at the strange wayang, she nods to the exploding hustler's remains strewn over the road. "Is this what you had in mind as what needs to be stopped by the demon?" Shaking her head sadly at the waste of life and the chaos she approached the remaining hustler, joining the other strangers from the bar. "What now? If we speak with him will he explode too?"

14. - Top - End - #74

NecromancerGuy

Sanamin, sensing that combat has ended (for now), relaxes his stance slightly and moves up to free Thargril from the rope holding him. Gently patting the feathered dinosaur with his free hand, Sanamin inspects the reptile for signs of injuries. The halfling keeps one eye towards the dinosaur rustler, watching for any indication of renewed threat from the man, as he subtly moves his animal companion from the rustler's immediate reach.

"I don't know much about demonic magic or its residue. I can often detect its presence, but that's about it...What shall we do now? I'd like to kill the demon tormenting him," Sanamin says simply, his voice sounding a bit rough with barely bridled fury (at the demonic forces, not the rustler specifically).

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

While she listens to the others' questions, Erizat walks in a circle around the remaining thief, her spear held in her left hand while she stretches the newly healed skin on her right.

As Stomper draws close, she turns to Roger. "May I speak with your companion?"

Assuming he does not object, Erizat steps closer to Stomper and lays a gentle but cold hand on the warhorse's shoulder. "Beannachdan, fear fiadhaich. Tha e a’ toirt toileachas dhomh a bhith a ’faicinn gu bheil thu gun chron. An urrainn dhut innse dhomh cia mheud duine eile a dh’ fheuch ri do thoirt air falbh? An tug iad iomradh air càite an robh iad a ’dol?"

Show
    I'm assuming more than a minute has passed since Erizat last used Speak with Wildlife, in which case she will expend another spell point to use it again.

Speaking to Stomper in sylvan, she says the following: "Greetings, wild one. It pleases me to see that you are unharmed. Can you tell me how many others tried to take you away? Did they speak of where they were going?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2020-12-11 at 04:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

DwarfClericGuy

Please confirm that the expected lingering auras (namely, of the possession and the explosion) and Rosalyn's scrolls do not register.
    Roger:Fireball is instantaneous, so there is no more magic to detect. Nobody appears to be possessed that you can detect. Scrolls? I don't think she used a scroll.

Erizat: Stomper says, "Two men. No, they just pulled us forward." (LOL, the color is saddle brown.)

Malik: "Dazzled" is not one of the conditions you listed. But I think the combat is over.

Thargril appears uninjured, but certainly riled up.

Ezora to Rosalyn: "Maybe. I don't know what the demon can do, but I'm supposed to gather an elite strike force to crush it before it can do any more harm."

17. - Top - End - #77

NecromancerGuy

Finding Thargril unhurt, Sanamin gentle leads his companion back from the rustler and gives the others room to inspect him. "I will help you find and kill this demon. What do you need?"

18. - Top - End - #78

HalflingRogueGirl

Malik: "Dazzled" is not one of the conditions you listed. But I think the combat is over.
    I misread dazed, I think. That's what I get for not double checking.

Malik looks up at Ezora, "I will help you hunt the fiend. A creature that destroys with so little purpose can do nothing but harm to the people of this place. Give me but a moment to offer succor to those within who may have been injured, and I will accompany you."

Malik's eye are grim as he says this, and it is clear that he feels much more strongly about the demon's actions than his calm tone would convey alone. He will inquire if anyone in the group that has assembled outside needs healing, and then proceed inside and ask the same.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Stepping nearer the surviving thief, Erizat turns her spear downward and drives the blade into the dirt alongside his head. Lowering herself to a crouch, she rests her elbows on her knees and leans forward until that her head is almost directly over his.

As she opens her mouth to speak, the thief can feel that her breath is icy cold. "Can you speak to what you were doing here without making a mess?" She glances to the scorch mark left by his companion. "Gesture if you must."
    Last edited by rypt; 2020-12-14 at 11:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Still looking surprised by the sudden and savage mayhem in the street and avoiding looking at the larger pieces of the would be dinosaur rustler the young lady looks back to the strange little wayang.

"I will aid you. Anything we can do to stop these horrors we must do." Stepping back from a chunk of arm she nods back indoors, "Maybe you could explain more of what you need from us indoors, or at least away from this charnel house?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger

Roger continues to concentrate, hoping to get more insight into the magics involved. "If he won't talk, we can just pack him for later. No problem with that as long as he does not go "KABOOM"."

Spoiler
    Show
    Klowledge (local law and procedure as applicable to this sort of event in these circumstances; maximum 10) (1d20+0)[5] - assume Roger is a member of militia, but there might still be proper guards and what not
    Also see my last OOC post.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-12-16 at 10:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

DwarfClericGuy

Roger knows the city has guards and that horse theft is illegal. He's not sure beyond that. His continued divinations don't turn up anything new. The living dinosaur rustler has no magic in him beyond what Malik is doing.

Ezora replies to Rosalyn, "I would be happy to, but I am just the messenger and spiritual guide <snicker>. Tanya will explain our noble, demon-squashing quest when we get there... after your reading, I guess."

Erizat is rather intimidating and the rustler seems confused, injured, and alone. "What was I doing here? Where am I? Why does everything hurt? Please don't eat me."

No one asks Malik for healing. The 16 points was pretty significant. "The window needs healing," grumbles a voice from the kitchen...

(I think Sanamin is an NPC for six days. He may haggle for the price of a window and follow along quietly.)

Your characters may not know much about harrow decks, but you can ask questions before you sit for a reading. (It's nothing like a Deck of Many Ways to ruin a campaign.) Does anyone refuse the reading? PC's, not pets, are invited. No offense to the animals intended.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger

Roger keeps on detecting magic until no more auras linger, including Malik's disenchantment, to make sure he did his best judging how safe the man is. Nothing new registers* and he's fine with that. "You were doing something not quite legal in a company that could easily get you killed. Eventually you'll be told some of it if you would not remember, but now... what do you remember? Last day or last hour - what are you doing, where, and what date it is?"

Roger then addresses the crowd. "If nobody went running for the guards, it is about time someone does that. Volunteers?"

Roger then waits for the guards to arrive, preventing anyone from messing with the scene any more than the mess it currently is, and maybe continuing to interrogate the man. The events on which his memory ends would be of primary interest. Time difference between then and now. Also, if he has a family.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Presumably.

Know (arcana) (1d20+4)[11] vs those harrow readings (primarily, what would be the benefit of taking part in it, besides disclosing one's past, future, or what not, to some other party)

24. - Top - End - #84

NecromancerGuy

When he hears the grumbling about the broken window Sanamin walks over and asks, "How much will replacing the window set you back?" Assuming the answer is reasonable (less than a couple of gold) he gives that and 50% more to the owner of the tavern before returning to his plate. Then he finishes eating as he watches and listens to the developments.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Rosalyn looks to the others and head back inside, she helps to sweep up the floor of glass and rights some of the chairs before she sits down. "There was talk of a reading of some kind." She pauses, to brush the hair out of her face and rub her face tiredly. "Maybe the reading will help my memories. They are blurred from my days before I woke up under the rubble."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Erizat rolls her eyes at the wrangler's plea before using her spear to pull herself upright again. "Just answer the man's questions as best you are able," she says with a sigh and an eye towards Roger. "And count yourself lucky to be alive."

Show
    Erizat will most certainly not be skipping her reading. Once we've wrapped up with the thief, she'll head back inside to sit with Margeratta.

27. - Top - End - #87

DwarfClericGuy

To Erizat: "ah, umm, yes ma'am..." He looks back at Roger: "Illegal, no. Not me. I'm a farmer. I just came to town for seed." He gets the date wrong. He thinks it's yesterday.

Two city guards rush up to Roger (mostly) and inquire, "What's going on here? What's that smell?"

The cook, a sweaty, hairy man, that should probably not be seen if you want to sell food, creeps out of the kitchen. "Glass and labor? 10 gold, easy."

Knowledge Arcana doesn't tell you much. The harrow decks are powerful artifacts, not available in stores, and grant some sort of boon as well as information. But they are very unpredictable.

Margaretta, in a soothing voice, "What do you remember, child? How did you come to be in Absalom, if you can say?" (To Rosalyn)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

"This man. And this, formerly, man." Roger points at the man and the site of the explorion. "And two other men, whom I have not seen, were trying to steal the lot of horses tied in front of this tavern, as well as a small pet dinosaur, also left there. As they were doing it, a halfling named Sanamin, who was inside the tavern at the moment, was alarmed by the actions of another man, who may or may not be related to these four people, and might be easily identified, if required. That last man shut the front door, blocking the line of sight between Sanamin and his dinosaur. The door turned out to be tied shut by a piece of rope and everyone in the tavern got alarmed one way or another and, again, one way or another, left the tavern to see what's going on. These two were holding the dinosaur using ropes, were confronted physically, were losing the fight and then one of them started to talk about the "de..." - that is, presumably, the demon, that has sent them for this bounty, suddenly stopped talking, looked at us with suddenly glowing red eyes and exploded. This one presumably has the demon's hold of him dispelled shortly thereafter. At least, Malik has made a solid attempt, and I don't sense any influence. Seems he's lost a day's worth of memories. The two that were stealing the horses were some distance away by that time, but Erizat commanded horses to disperse, which the horses did, so I don't know how much success those two are having at the moment. I have not seen them so cannot describe them, but maybe some of these people around have and can. All persons named are now back in tavern, and I was waiting here for your arrival. Do you need any other assistance? Roger Makarrow, militia."

Spoiler
    Show
    Roger does not feel a pressing need to meddle with the unknown, but if the guards dismiss him, he'll ask what are best and worst things that could happen to him as a result of a reading, and proceed from there. That is, boons might be useful, but he does not want to take risks.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-12-18 at 12:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

NecromancerGuy

The cook, a sweaty, hairy man, that should probably not be seen if you want to sell food, creeps out of the kitchen. "Glass and labor? 10 gold, easy."
    Sanamin scoffs at that price. "You must be crazy - for that amount I could rebuild the entire wall! Here, and keep the change," he mutters as he hands the cook five gold coins and walks out the door, leaving his plate to be cleared by the staff. He sees the guards and the chaos and looks to find a quiet place off to the side where he can be found but won't be bothered by anyone until it is time to hunt the demon. "Too much chaos here - they feed off that," he mutters to Thargril sullenly.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

To Erizat: [COLOR="#FF0000"]

Margaretta, in a soothing voice, "What do you remember, child? How did you come to be in Absalom, if you can say?" (To Rosalyn)
    Rosalyn shakes her head. "I woke up in the rubble of Vigil. THere were so many bodies and it was dark apart from the flames from the beasts." She looked at her hands and then at the swords. "I took up the blades from where some of the soldiers had fallen, I don't think I had ever held one before but then I could feel a presence within me. It guided me and the swords cut me a path uot the ruins past some of the beasts."

She looked sadly at Margaretta. "Before I woke, its all a blur, like a half remembered dream. I remember dancing under a stained glass, the warmth of meals in the nunnery kitchens and the welcoming community of the morning prayers. Now though, I can feel a tugging within, a voice in the back of my thoughts and a drive I don't think I had before." She shrugs helplessly. "I hope its just from the walls landing on me, but I want to help now. Anything I can do to stop more the daemons."