New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Fire of the Forsaken 2 IC (based on a concept by In4Dimensions)

Any other chatter?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Roslayn

Whilst the others rest Roslayn is restless. The pull on her from the voices within had always struggled with inactivity. She busied herself around the hideout helping the injured and in prayer before seeking out the rested and restored Roger and Sanamin. A light tough of the weapons at her belt and hse nods to the door. "Are we ready to do what must be done?", then as a more general question to the wider room, "Could one of you guide us there? I am still new to the City and do not know the most efficient means of getting there"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Rosalyn Al'Sune
    F LG Human Conscript // War Priest (Champion of the Faith), Level 2, Init 4, HP 22/24, Speed
    AC 17, Touch 17, Flat-footed 13, CMD 19, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will 5, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Counts as good (sacred weapon) MW Cold Iron Longsword (MW Bluff tool (tassels)) +8 (1d6+7, 19-20/x2)
    MW Silver Longsword (MW Bluff tool (tassels)) +8 (1d6+6, 19-20/x2)
    Cold Iron Gauntlet +6 (1d4, x2)
    Unarmoured Grace (+4 Dex, +3 Misc)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 13
    Condition Trait: Divinity’s Last Champion (+2 Will for Mind effecting)
    Favoured Enemy: Evil outsiders +2 [Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Survival], Attack and Damage
    Sacred Weapon (1d6) - Counts as GOOD

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Or show us a map - I think I can get us there with a little guidance," says Sanamin confidently from beside Rosalyn.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger's rest is not disturbed by any strong emotions. Instead, he tries to plan for the combat ahead. He has enough time, so he comes back to Tanya from time to time to ask this and that and then takes another few hours to think it all over. The questions he starts with are as follows: "So, nobody who has seen this demon has been back to tell you? How did you conclude there's only one and what does its rank of "lieutenant" actually means, if anything? Do you plan to provide us with any additional help for this task? Not necessarily anything costly, but maybe your people have long-term daily spells or suchlike? What is the size of the park? Do you know how far the demons can affect people's minds? Is there a range beyond which we could be considered safe?"

Spoiler
    Show
    All in all, Roger is ready to go when everyone else is. He can lead to the park with no problem. Whether he'd have a good plan to follow after that is another matter.

5. - Top - End - #275

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Or show us a map - I think I can get us there with a little guidance," says Sanamin confidently from beside Rosalyn.
    Tanya nods to Sanamin indirectly and half-turns toward Ezora, who disappears and shortly returns with a map of the city. It's not impressive, but shows many of the major landmarks. Ezora points to the park, but interestingly doesn't point to where you are now. "I will guide you and try to scout a little. I'm more comfortable in the dark alleys but maybe I can sneak among the trees almost as well."

Tanya does her best to go into detail with Roger. "Lieutenant is just a comparison to city military life. He/It is not the supreme leader, but he/it has a job and other forces below it. No, your spells are your own. At most we can mend any minor wounds you suffer.

The park is a few city blocks, maybe a little more. Yes, I'd say several city blocks.

It appears to be hundreds or thousands of feet, but maybe not miles. That's hard to answer. No one has survived that intrusion for long."

Everyone is at full health and Constitution by the third morning.

6. - Top - End - #276

NecromancerGuy

"Well then, let's get going," says Sanamin as he takes the map, studies it for several long moments, memorizing streets and the layout, and then returning it. "I've been itching to get out there and slice up some demons after that attack several days back..."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger nods and gets ready to leave the building quickly when it would be told that the outside is all clear. Ripper and Stomper are to be with him on this mission. He has no objections against Ezora taking the lead.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Roslayn

As the others prepare Roslayn prays briefly for guidance then joins them. "I stand ready. ANd let us hope this time they do not retreat atop the roofs, it turns ou a childhood of singing and prayer is no substitute for climbing trees" she offers the last as a mild apology for her delays in getting atop the roofs earlier.

As they walk through the city she looks to her companions, "What has brought you here? How did you survive this horror to make your way here?"

Show

Rosalyn Al'Sune
    F LG Human Conscript // War Priest (Champion of the Faith), Level 2, Init 4, HP 22/24, Speed
    AC 17, Touch 17, Flat-footed 13, CMD 19, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will 5, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Counts as good (sacred weapon) MW Cold Iron Longsword (MW Bluff tool (tassels)) +8 (1d6+7, 19-20/x2)
    Favoured Enemy: Evil outsiders +2 [Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Survival], Attack and Damage

9. - Top - End - #279

NecromancerGuy

"When the gods died and the demons came, they killed my village and nearly killed me. Thargril and his clutchmates saved me. We've been hunting them ever since, killing any demon we can. Several weeks back we got word there was resistance in Absolom, so we headed here and met all of you. Now there's not much else for me to do except keep hunting..." Sanamin explains grimly, the little halfling unlike so many of the others of his ilk. He doesn't try to hide his hatred of the abyssal hordes or his affection for Thargril, though he seems unable to express many other emotions besides those two...

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Erizat has little to say during the discussion with Tanya. She is content to allow the others -- those with a more clarified interest in saving this world as opposed to merely escaping it -- to direct the party's inquiry.

In the time it takes for the winter fey to recover from her wounds, she will seek out someone with the ability to detect evil to examine the box that was placed in her pack. Only once she is certain the box is not form of trap or deception will she find another with the skill to open it.

When it comes time to depart the resistance headquarters, she remains characteristically quiet, but will share with the others the origins of the box and its contents.

Show
    If anything magical is found inside the box, Erizat will first attempt to identify it herself with a Spellcraft check: (d20+9)[14]. Only if she is unable to identify anything herself will she seeks the assistance of someone able to cast identify.

11. - Top - End - #281

DwarfClericGuy

Does anyone have detect evil or spellcraft to help Erizat? (I don't intend to drag this out. Some of you probably know what's in the box.
    Spoiler: Spoiler Not Spoiler
    Show
    <Malik's still beating heart!>
    )

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger detects alignment at will, so he takes a look at the box. Just in case, but not really expecting to see anything. He also tries to detect some magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Know (arcana) (1d20+4)[14]
    Spellcraft (1d20+4)[24]

13. - Top - End - #283

DwarfClericGuy

There's nothing evil about the box or inside it. However, it seems to contain an overwhelming amount of divination magic.

It has no lock.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

"It is an artifact. I cannot hope to identify its magic. Not evil though. At least, not by itself."

Roger is, like, VERY IMPRESSED, but tries to report like it is just another magic item that he has examined.

15. - Top - End - #285

NecromancerGuy

"It's a what? An artifact? Can you use it to kill demons?" asks Sanamin from the front, looking back past Thargril at the discussion over the box...

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Erizat frowns at Sanamin's suggestion, seeming to have low expectations as the utility of the box's contents, but with Roger's assurance that it is free of the taint of evil, she proceeds to open it.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

"Kill? No, I don't think so. It shines divination only as far as I can tell, but maybe the other components of the aura are just weaker and harder to notice. Anyway, should have something to do with maybe gaining knowledge or such." While Erizat handles the box, Roger keeps looking at it, checking it for other alignment auras, just because he can. If it is not evil, maybe it's good? Or lawful? Or chaotic? He does not expect it to be, but nothing is lost just by checking.

18. - Top - End - #288

DwarfClericGuy

Erizat opens the box and discovers a Harrow Deck, almost certainly the one Margaretta used for your reading an hour ago.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Erizat eyes the deck of cards for a moment. "Hmm. Margaretta does not seem the kind to act without purpose, but for what purpose she gifts to us the implements of her art, I do not know." Unless anyone else is willing hazard a guess, or chooses to reveal their proficiency in Harrow Deck reading, she adds, "I will guard them closely all the same."
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-09-20 at 02:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

DwarfClericGuy

If there are no other comments on the deck, I will describe the park tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Roslayn

Rosalyn looks at the deck and then gives a fractional shake of her head. "Hmm, no, I do not like the fates to tell me what is coming. We can make our own fate, and if the Goddess favours us we can improve the fate of those around us" Looking away she motions to the others and starts moving towards the park, her swords on her back and a wary feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Show

Rosalyn Al'Sune

22. - Top - End - #292

NecromancerGuy

As it becomes clear that the treasure is "only" a harrow deck Sanamin pays no more attention to the conversation, focused instead on traveling to the park to kill demons.

23. - Top - End - #293

DwarfClericGuy

Ezora leads the party through the city in the morning after everyone is fully healed. She realizes that there is nothing stealthy about a horse, two dinosaurs, and armored heroes. Nevertheless, she stops at every corner and peers around it before crossing a street or alley. You pass the fish market, fruit stands, and an intoxicating bakery. She pauses at the last, fighting the urge to buy fresh breads or pastries, and moves onward.

At the entrance to the park, you find short walls and an open gate. There is a sequence of flora, starting with a grassy patch, then flowers, and finally trees. Many people pass by the entrance to the park, going about their business. They are all what you'd expect of the city. Mostly humans, the occasional pack of halflings, a dwarf, an elf, and even a tiefling. Inside the park, you see people on blankets, as if they spent the night here, some children with a teacher or nurse, a scholar smelling the flowers and taking notes, a teenage couple holding hands as the boy offers to pick flowers for the girl, and a food cart with one tired horse and one sweaty vendor offering hot bread with honey and apples.

The horse gets very nervous if either dinosaur gets very close.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

"So," Roger asks from ontop of his horse and looking at the park "anything wrong with the scenery? Is the public not being informed? Will we endanger anyone if we just move in?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm... by now I did rather expect it to be deserted or something. Roger is taking 20 on perception, for a total of 27, because he's not in hurry anywhere.

25. - Top - End - #295

NecromancerGuy

Sanamin scowls frequently as they travel, unsure what to make of a city that seems to be trying to ignore the demons that just a couple of days violently murdered dozens. "Why aren't any more of them armed? Or set to defend their homes?" he asks Ezora after watching in shock as she nearly buys bread - common bread! - from the baker. "Is the demonic pestilence so less pronounced here that people can imagine the world hasn't fallen?"

At the park his suspicion overwhelms him as he looks to their guide incredulously. "Are all these people ignorant? Or entranced? Why are there no warning signs? What is this madness?"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Roslayn

Rosalyn looks at the park and pauses, her hands going wide of her weapons as she seeks not to alarm anyone. "Its like a dream of the old world.." she murmurs, her mind drifting to the chaos and devastation she had crossed to reach the city here. "Nevertheless we must press on..." she motions to the other side of the park, "Let us head in and do what must be done." Forging forwards she heads into the park, eyes and ears alert for demons or their tracks

Show

Perception (1d20+7)[20] +2 vs demons
    Survival (1d20+7)[11] +2 vs demons

Rosalyn Al'Sune

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Erizat pays little mind to the people inside the park, focusing instead on the plants and trees, uncertain of what to make of the wrongness that Ezora mention earlier. Forewarned of the absence of local fauna, opens her mind she makes her way across the grass, searching for the subtle hints of magic that might mark the passing of animals as well as demons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (nature): (d20+5)[20]
    Spellcraft (to be used with Erizat's Ritual Tracker ability): (d20+9)[15]
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-09-29 at 10:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Refresher
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    "I feel that there is a demon lieutenant in the park, befouling the trees and flowers planted there. A citizen witnessed a child smelling the flowers, falling asleep, and being taken. They tried to help and saw dark figures among the trees. They were ashamed to tell me that they were overwhelmed with fear and ran until they collapsed. Other children are missing as well and the trees are...different. I do not know how better to explain it. They don't smell the same and the birds and squirrels have vanished. The park seems like a good, wide-open place for you to fight with your dinosaur and steed helpers, as opposed to the tight confines of the undercity."

This is a reminder of what Tanya said. It was supposed to suggest that there was only one witness, not a fullscale panic. None of the casual park visitors that you see look concerned at all.

Taking 20 on Perception revealed some rope swings in the trees, but with not much room to swing among the thick branches. (Please keep in mind that we just committed to twenty rounds, so don't charge into the trees or cast round/level spells.)

29. - Top - End - #299

NecromancerGuy

Sanamin takes his time observing the park, looking for signs of demonic corruption and pointing out the odd rope swings when he notices them. "Thargril and I will go in the front, together. Shall we warn these fools of the dangers, or wait until the demons arrive and sow chaos?" he asks as he walks towards the edge of the park with his feathered dinosaur companion.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger remains wherever he can clearly see the frontliners without being too close to them, which means, for the time being, just outside the park. He gets the bow ready and sees how people would react to their peaceful company apparently arriving for a picknick.