New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fire of the Forsaken 2 IC (based on a concept by In4Dimensions)

Roger

"You've found Roger. I don't know the rest. Might be further inside." says the blonde outdoors man continuing through to the door past the Wayang, stopping in the doorway to take a look outside, including both left and right. "Anything urgent?" he asks, still looking out, but apparently addressing the wayang, who is in.

Thinking of it, Roger admits he is not here incognito, but this does raise a few questions, which Roger plans to eventually clarify.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move and take 10 on perception for a total of 17.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Before she can reposne to the old lady with the harrow deck Roslayn hears the strange young shadowy woman mention her name. Turning she straightens and looks at the wayang. "I am Roslayn, though I'm curious how you come by my name Precious few in this town know me and I have surely not met someone such as you..." she tails off at the rushing of others to the door, unsure of whats happening.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Malik finishes with the lock, his key turning freely but not allowing the door to turn."It is neither locked nor barred. Someone is holding it fast. Or something."

When Malik hears the wayang speak, he turns. There is a look of surprise on his face, which intensifies as he spies that creature. He has vague recollections of some of the older illustrations from his monastery featuring a person of similar race, and tries to call it to mind.

"I am Malik. For what am I sought?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry about the extra action. I forgot to account for the move action it takes to withdraw a stowed item. Knowledge: Local (1d20-1)[18] (Untrained, so max of 10) to try and recall that the name of the race is Wayang. The shadow lurk should be moving around the building, using its standard action to ready retracting if it sees a hostile creature or something that is important to know immediately.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"That bastard cut me off from Thargril - we have to get out there!" says Sanamin urgently. "Help me get this door open!" The halfling throws his shoulder into the door with a respectable bit of force for one of the small folk...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Strength check to get the door unblocked and get outside: (1d20+2)[20]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The Wayang looks back and forth between Roger in the doorway and everyone one else.

To Roger: "Yes, quite urgent. The others have already left!" This makes no sense to Roger. Perform Oratory is not on the wayang's skill list.
    To Rosalyn: "Tanya knows just about everyone new who comes into town and this is where they usually get meals, so I came here, because it is mealtime." Rosalyn also learns that Perform Oratory is not on the wayang's skill list and wonders who Tanya is.
    To Malik: "Oh good. Is that Sanamin with you? Tanya wasn't sure they would let dinosaurs in here. You are sought for the same quest, one of glory and treasure and saving the city and stopping the demon."
    To Margaretta: "You too, your eminence."

Margaretta shuffles the cards without looking over her shoulder at the wayang. "No, Ezora, my days of adventure are in the past. Take Erizat instead. She will be far greater than I am, someday."

Erizat is quite sure that she never told Margaretta her name.

Roger sees nothing unusual in the alley, but hears a cry of some sort in the distance.
    How smart is the shadow lurk? Does it retreat from all conflict or just conflict where someone attacks it?
    The front door groans and opens an inch. You can see a rope going from something on the left toward the handle on the right.
    Malik, still holding the skeleton key if he wants, does know what a wayang is, although they are extremely rare. Perhaps the shadowcaster made her?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger

"You mean, overland kind of "left"? Then I'd say we have at least a couple of minutes. Kind of a commotion here. I'll take a look and be back shortly." Without waiting for an answer, Roger leaves the doorway and moves around the tavern to take a look at the state of affairs before the front door. Ripper follows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move (left or right, whatever way seems shorter) with the intent to eventually look around the corner at the situation in front of the front door, taking 10 on perception for a total of 17. Put on the spiked gauntlet and draw the bow while on the way.

On "town" vs "city": where exactly are we at the moment?
    On Tanya: I suppose if Roger is loyal to her (or will be loyal once tasked), he knows enough about her (and her organization, if any). Can you provide some background info? Does Roger know where exactly to go to meet her?
    On Ezora: I suppose we haven't met, but maybe the name is known in Tanya's circles: know (local) (1d20+0)[19] with a possible DC 10 cap
    On the cry: does it seems to originate from the direction of the tavern's front or from somewhere else?

7. - Top - End - #37

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    How smart is the shadow lurk? Does it retreat from all conflict or just conflict where someone attacks it?
    The front door groans and opens an inch. You can see a rope going from something on the left toward the handle on the right.
    Malik, still holding the skeleton key if he wants, does know what a wayang is, although they are extremely rare. Perhaps the shadowcaster made her?
    Shadow lurks have the same intelligence (and other atteibutes, except for STR) as the creature whose shadow they are formed from, so it is intelligent. It should retract if it sees any fighting, to get back the information.

I doubt he made her, but the race's motifs and philosophy match up well with those of the monastery. I imagime they were involved to some degree with its creation or the development of its magic style. Either way they would be something he holds in high regard.

Malik inclines his head briefly,

"Yes, esteemed one. I must only tarry a moment to aid in this man's moment of distress."

Malik gestures to Sanamin. When the door opens, if the rope is close enough to allow it, Malik will attempt to sever it with his Shadow Limb. If not, he will place a glow on the outside handle, causing it to shed light as a torch, and then explain that he has done so.

Spoiler: Attack & damage rolls, if needed
    Show

(1d20+8)[10] to hit
    [Roll]1d4 +6[/roll] for damage EDIT: Damn it, I put a space. Let me know if you need a damage roll.
    Last edited by Hellpyre; 2020-11-25 at 11:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"Someone or something on the other side of that door is suffering a great deal of harm," the white-haired woman says matter-of-factly as she opens her eyes. Seeming to recognize the possibility that this might be Sanamin's companion, she frowns, then steps forward to aid the halfling, only to stop mid-stride when Margeratta speaks her name.

"Tell me what you have seen. No-- tell me where you have seen it. If you know who I am, then you know I do not belong here."

9. - Top - End - #39

NecromancerGuy

"That's it!" spits Sanamin as he grabs a chair to throw through the nearby window. Once the glass is broken he runs and dives through it too!

Show
    Strength check to break the window: (1d20+2)[13]
    Acrobatics check to jump through the window and land safely on the other side: (1d20+5)[22]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Rosalyn pauses confused as to who or what Thargril is and why everyone was attacking the door. "Who are you?" she asks the wayang as she grabs up her sword blades and looks around. "Where is the trouble?" she asks as she looks at Roger also looking ready for action.

11. - Top - End - #41

DwarfClericGuy

How does the shadow lurk share information? Does it know what its caster or basis know? (i.e. does it know who Thargril is?)

12. - Top - End - #42

HalflingRogueGirl

How does the shadow lurk share information? Does it know what its caster or basis know? (i.e. does it know who Thargril is?)
    Functionally, it is a separate entity. It can share information by retracting (as a move action), or by being destoryed, either of which returns it to its basis and provides them with all of the sensory information it experienced, and all the actions the lurk undertook during its duration. On the question of knowledge, it isn't explicitly clear, but given that it derives its game statistics including feats, skills, and ability scores from the creature who it is formed from it is probably reasonable for them to have some basic amount of information derived from them.

Of course, being that it can use a hostile creature as a source (assuming it fails a will save) it would also be reasonable to limit its capability as an information source by having it get basic knowledge and information the caster, or making it unable to communicate.

So - as far as I can tell, the intent is to have it know things its source knows, but that is not spelled out RAW and it is reasonable to have it not do so. I can ask the author of the talent on the DDS discord if you would like an explicit statement of intent
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

13. - Top - End - #43

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    So - as far as I can tell, the intent is to have it know things its source knows, but that is not spelled out RAW and it is reasonable to have it not do so. I can ask the author of the talent on the DDS discord if you would like an explicit statement of intent
    I am curious to know, so sure, ask away.

I'm going to move ahead into the next round on the assumption that it does. Everyone will know in character soon enough.

14. - Top - End - #44

DwarfClericGuy

Roger moves around to the front of the building and notes that there is a scuffle going on near the front door and that Stomper is missing from where he tied him up to go inside.

Malik slices the rope that was holding the door closed and (I'm assuming) pushes the door open.

The shadow lurk sees the scene out front as well.

Ezora replies to Rosalyn, "I am Ezora, Occultist, Healer, Hexer, and errand girl to round up a team to hunt down a nasty demon, somewhere beneath the city." To Roger, "Well, underland, anyway." She cackles softly at this. It's an odd sound.

Sanamin successfully defeats the window in solo combat ("Nooo...don't..." cries the barmaid) and leaps through with great daring and acrobatics, getting not even a scratch.

Margaretta to Erizat:"The cards show some of your present and some of your future, but none of your past. You should go with the young wayang witch. The path is dark, but you will find light at the end, when your power grows beyond that of an archmage."

The scene revealed outside the front door is a chaotic one. Two ropes are around the neck of a dinosaur. Two people are attempting to drag it down the street. One of them is bleeding. Other townsfolk are scattering. There are no longer any horses tied to the hitching post. If you had a horse when you arrived, you may be wondering where it is now.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger

Roger commands Ripper to stay near the corner and, assuming nobody of those dragging the dinosaur look authoritative enough, steps forward and shouts: "Nobody moves! Nobody leaves the crime site! I will begin investigation. Sanamin, tame down your pet." He looks for any reaction to his words. Especially, any suspicious reaction.

Spoiler
    Show
    What about the things I have asked in spoiler of my previous post?
    Perception (1d20+7)[21]
    Sense motive (1d20+7)[11]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Rosalyn looks through the shattered window at another dinosaur, a brief thought of strange, I had not realised such reptiles were native to Kortos.

Seeing Sanamin and Roger had things well in hand she glanced at Ezora. "A demon. Well, that is why I came here to hold back the darkness from this last bastion."

Still holding her blades she swings her sling bag up and nods to the young wayang. "lead on. It looks like pet lizard is being retrieved."

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGuy

Sanamin glares at Roger as he gestures to where his companion is roped and being dragged away. "Thargril is doing nothing wrong - these people are fools for trying to make off with him!" he snaps as he turns to the two trying to kidnap Thargril. "Let him go before I help him take your arms off! Now!" The halfling doesn't wait for a response, instead drawing his scimitar and stalking towards them as Thargril continues to struggle and try to get free to join its master.

18. - Top - End - #48

HalflingRogueGirl

Seeing the creature struggle to reach Sanamin, Malik surmises that it is the animal he has been desperately calling for.

"This creature is not yours to take. Drag him no further!"

Malik strikes out with a hand, twisting through a brief kata that ends with a beam of light stretching from his outstreched hand to hit the road behind the ruffians. It bursts into a dazzling light that seems to ward the thugs from moving down the road. Malik then moves to close with whichever of them Sanamin didn't.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Standard action to use a glow on any object in the middle of the road (a rock, cobblestone, anything I can use as a target) 25 ft. past the thugs and cause it to glow brightly, spending 2 spell points (activating Repelling Light warding against whatever humanoid subtype applies to the people dragging Thargril off, and allowing the glow to continue without concentration). Then move action to close to whichever enemy Sanamin is not in range of.

The enemies must make a DC 14 Fort save or be unable to move closer to the light.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Erizat sighs at Margaretta's answer. "That is...disappointing to hear. Thank you, nonetheless."

Looking out through the opened door, she glances back towards to the shadowling. "We shall speak of your demon shortly," she says as she moves to retrieve her spear, don her helmet, and join the others outside. Although she did not arrive on a horse, she recalls seeing a number of them hitched to a now barren post.

20. - Top - End - #50

DwarfClericGuy

Roger: Several people look your way as you sound like you're in charge, but they still don't approach you or the dinosaur rustlers. (That would be a great name for a classic rock band!) Your sense motive doesn't pick up anything, but you see a large cloud of dust and multiple horses moving down the street in the opposite direction of the dinosaur.

Rosalyn: The wayang looks at you and frowns slightly. "We need the others. And he will probably have to pay for that window." She looks at the barmaid, who is not paying attention to her.

Malik: The rustler cringes and blinks at the flash of light. "What the?" He then attempts some sort of complicated rope trick to loop it around your throat. Success could mean a broken neck with the dinosaur and the human both pulling against you, but the rope only smacks your cheek instead of breaking your neck. If you spend a standard action, you can grab the rope and have a tug-of-war.

Sanamin: This man doesn't really want to bring a rope to a sword fight, so he tries to hold it in one hand and then draw and swing a short sword at you. He's too off-balance to connect with your face, however. (Make an escape artist or grapple check for Thargril.)

Erizat: "I understand, dear. Perhaps the cards will answer you directly if you sit for a reading..." Ezora turns from Rosalyn to Erizat, "My demon? No. Uck." She shudders a bit.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger

Observing that two men holding Thargril do not seem like they want to present their case, Roger decides to continue the discussion when the dust settles down. Meanwhile, he emits three sharp loud whistles of different lengths, looking down the street at the retreating horses. He pauses and then repeats the three whistles again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Handle animal ("come") (1d20+5)[15] and Stomper's perception (1d20+7)[16], modified by loudness and range
    Handle animal ("come") (1d20+5)[6] and Stomper's perception (1d20+7)[27], modified by loudness and range
    Perception (1d20+7)[16] to estimate the distance to (and speed of) the horses
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-12-01 at 11:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

HalflingRogueGirl

The flowing tattoos on Malik's body begin to glow with a soft green light, and he cautiously closes with the unfortunate dinosaur rustler. He moves quickly and efficiently as he throws the man to the ground and tears the rope from his hands.

"I would not recommend violence. And while I can stand, I will not tolerate taking even more from those living through a time that has taken so much. Now I ask - will you surrender peacefully?"

Show
    Sequence begins: 1 link, imbue with Life sphere to gain Fast Healing equal to links while sequence is active.

Make a 5-ft adjustment to close into range, then take a Full-Attack action, making a trip attack in place of the shadow limb attack, then other combat maneuvers based on the results in place of the normal unarmed attack and Snap Kick attack of opportunity. Use Counting Coup as a swift action afterwards to attempt to make another link. Only a sunder attempt provokes an attack of opportunity, if the other rustler is in range to take it, the rest are covered by Deft Maneuvers.

(1d20+9)[27] to trip.
    (1d20+8)[27] (+2 if he was tripped) to trip if he was not tripped, otherwise to disarm as opportunity attack from Snap Kick.
    (1d20+8)[16] to disarm (+2 to bonus for disarm attempt) has been tripped by either attempt - if the rope has already been disarmed, this attack will attempt a sunder against the other rope if it is in range, or else make a nonlethal unarmed attack against the rustler for (1d6+4)[6] damage. If neither trip worked, there won't be a third attack and so this can be skipped.
    (1d20+6)[20] (+2 if he was tripped) against touch AC for counting coup.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalyn

Rosalyn nods to the wayang, and walks to the door to watch the scene unfolding outside. Her hands twitch towards the sword hilts as the rope us thrown, but she relaxes as Malik seem to be taking care of himself.

"I will be ready when they are " she mutters to Ezora.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Trusting the tattooed man and the halfling to handle the dinosaur thieves, Erizat steps alongside Roger and raises a cupped hand to her mouth.

"Fy mrodyr!" she calls out in the direction of the horses. The language she speaks is otherworldly and melodious; beautiful even to those who cannot understand it. "Rydych chi'n cael eich cipio - yn cael eich arwain ar gyfeiliorn gan ddynion sy'n llai na chi. Yn wannach na chi. Trowch yn ôl neu byddwch yn rhydd. Naill ffordd neu'r llall, ni allant eich atal!"

Show
    Erizat will expend a spell point to activate her Speak With Wildlife talent. She is speaking in Sylvan. For those who understand, she says the following:

"My friends! You are being abducted -- led astray by men who are smaller than you. Weaker than you. Turn back or be free. Either way, they cannot stop you!"

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a Diplomacy check or a Handle Animal check but her modifier is +8 either way: (d20+8)[14]
    Last edited by rypt; 2020-12-02 at 03:04 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1 (?), Sanamin's Status
    Show
    Sanamin Takalher
    Male True Neutral Halfling Goliath Druid/Vanguard Slayer, Level 2, Init 7, HP 28/28, Speed 20 ft
    AC 21, Touch 15, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 8, Will 7, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Lance (10 GP) +6 (1d6+2, 20/x3)
    MW Scimitar (315 GP) +6 (1d4+2, 18-20/x2)
    MW Hide Armor (165 GP), MW Heavy Wooden Shield (157 GP) (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 19, Con 17, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 11
    Condition None

Sanamin: This man doesn't really want to bring a rope to a sword fight, so he tries to hold it in one hand and then draw and swing a short sword at you. He's too off-balance to connect with your face, however. (Make an escape artist or grapple check for Thargril.)
    "Oh, you want to fight me for my closest friend? Bad call..." growls Sanamin as he moves to attack the rustler with sword drawn. "Throw down your weapon and release him and you might survive this!"

Show
    Thargril's CMB is higher: (1d20+5)[18]

He will move to melee and attack the sword-wielding dinosaur rustler: (1d20+6)[16] to hit, (1d20+6)[18] (x2 on 24 and up), (1d4+2)[4] slashing damage, (1d4+2)[4] critical strike damage

26. - Top - End - #56

DwarfClericGuy

Far down the city street, chaos erupts. A small pack of horses revolts against their leads and attempts to bite, kick, thrash, and escape in all directions. A window is broken, a man is trampled, and a woman gets mud on her new dress.

Closer to the party, evil erupts. The disarmed and tripped dinosaur rustler begins to panic. He squeaks out "No... he wants it... If we don't return with the bounty the de...argh!" He starts to writhe and his brown eyes begin to glow an eerie shade of red. His body stops quivering and his head slowly moves right to left, taking in the scene. His body then explodes.

San, Thar, Eri, Ezo, Ros and Mal please make reflex saves.

The other rustler swings twice at Sanamin, hitting once for six damage. His eyes then widen in shock as he recognizes what is happening to his co-conspirator. He will have to save as well.

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Sanamin's Status
    Show
    Sanamin Takalher
    Male True Neutral Halfling Goliath Druid/Vanguard Slayer, Level 2, Init 7, HP 22/28, Speed 20 ft
    AC 21, Touch 15, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 8, Will 7, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Lance (10 GP) +6 (1d6+2, 20/x3)
    MW Scimitar (315 GP) +6 (1d4+2, 18-20/x2)
    MW Hide Armor (165 GP), MW Heavy Wooden Shield (157 GP) (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 19, Con 17, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 11
    Condition None

As both Sanamin and Thargril flinch back from the magical explosion they turn their fury on the remaining rustler with claw and scimitar!

Show
    Sanamin's Reflex Save: (1d20+8)[21]
    Thargril's Reflex Save: (1d20+6)[19]

Sanamin attacks the rustler again: (1d20+6)[16] to hit, (1d20+6)[22] (x2 on 24+), (1d4+2)[3] slashing damage, (1d4+2)[6] critical strike damage
    Thargril uses a full attack action on the remaining, armed rustler: Bite (1d20+5)[7] to hit, (1d20+5)[14] (x2 on 25), (1d4+1)[4] slashing damage, (1d4+1)[3] critical strike damage
    Claw 1 (1d20+5)[17] to hit, (1d20+5)[24] (x2 on 25), (1d6+1)[2] slashing damage, (1d6+1)[4] critical strike damage
    Claw 2 (1d20+5)[25] to hit, (1d20+5)[16] (x2 on 25), (1d6+1)[4] slashing damage, (1d6+1)[2] critical strike damage
    Foreclaws (1d20)[18] to hit, (1d20)[10] (x2 on 20), (1d3+1)[3] slashing damage, (1d3+1)[3] critical strike damage

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger

A lot of interesting stuff seems to happen and Roger tries to think fast. He whistles for his horse again while at it, then he casts a spell. He looks the man in the eyes, then says, loud and clear: "Don't say a word. Don't even drop your weapon. Pretend to fight. We'll knock you out and see if you can survive that. We'll try to make sure you can. That's your best bet." He is too late, though, as the man seems to get ripped to pieces...

Spoiler
    Show
    Handle animal ("come") (1d20+5)[21] and Stomper's perception (1d20+7)[27] and Stomper's clearly within range (250 feet per round run speed, if that matters)
    Detect Magic at the scene of carnage. Will pick up any auras, especially the lingering ones. This will take some time.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-12-03 at 10:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

HalflingRogueGirl

Malik reacts with shock to the sudden and violent end of the man he had been engaging, but recognizes it to be the work of demonic influence. He closes his eyes and focuses on the torrent of healing energy flowing through him, releasing it in a burst of vitality as he seeks inspiration from his training on a way to save the other man. A wave of soft green light tears forth from Malik and travels over all those nearby, healing their wounds as his tattoos fade back to their normal color.

"You must remain calm. If you can avoid the notice of whatever darkness has hold over you, there is a chance that you can be made free of it."

Show
    That was a bit of a surprise. Reflex save for (1d20+6)[12].

Sequence at three links, so Malik regains 3 health (if any was lost) from Fast Healing. Then, standard action Adaptation to gain Break Enchantment talent from Life sphere for one minute, free action use martial focus to add a link to my sequence, then move action Healing Burst finisher to heal everyone (I will choose to include the dinosaur rustler) within 30 ft. for 16 hit points and end my sequence. Then make a 5 ft. step towards the living rustler.
    Last edited by Hellpyre; 2020-12-03 at 07:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Roslayn

As the explosion rips through the street Roslayn ducks back into the doorway, shards of the body and fire racing past her. Relatively unschathed she darts back into the street, looking about in case anyone is looking sorely injured and in need of healing

Show

Reflex save (1d20+7)[26]

Heal check to help people if needed (1d20+2)[19]