Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I find myself ALWAYS doing Independant because I can't bring myself to kill the BOS and House and NCR both demand it.
    The NCR lets you do a truce, if the McNamara is still in charge and you have positive BOS rep. But I generally prefer independence anyway. The NCR would clearly rather kill them than deal and are just waiting till after the Legion is dealt with the BOS. If BOS were still run by Elijah or even just bigger ***** to you personally it would be easier to off them. As it is, I can't really fault them for not trusting the NCR.

I'd much rather have them as a client organization under the banner of a New Vegas state. We can sand off some rough edges through contact and trade; get them reintegrated into a larger society. Or they can earn their annihilation at the lasers of the securitrons.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Agreed. Getting the rough edges off is gonna take a LOT of grinding though.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #933
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    The NCR would clearly rather kill them than deal and are just waiting till after the Legion is dealt with the BOS.
    Except that's not what happens according to the game's ending slides? If you get BOS and NCR to truce, the truce holds in the Mojave even though it apparently doesn't result in a truce between those factions further West. I mean, you can completely ignore that and make up your own post-ending if you like, but I prefer to go with what the game tells me happens.

4. - Top - End - #934

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    It was less boring for me as well compared to Sea/Skies, since the travel times and the back and forths were atrocious in those. Cultist Sim has its own share of "quirks", sure, but I found it overall more playable.

Still, I had to open up the wiki after my first "normal" win, I think, because I can't spend my whole life decrypting the developer's arbitrary recipes in order to just upgrade one item.
    On my third character now and the first time I think I have some idea what I'm doing at least in the early parts. At least my character isn't immediately imploding from Dread like the last two.

The Aspirant bumbled around the city a bit, got almost fired from his clerical job, made a friend, learned behind the Light behind the skin of the world, read a few weird books from a bookstore and succumbed to dread.

His legacy was picked up by Doctor Blake at the hospital, but he went in an entirely different direction. By studying the wounds of his patients, he learned the principle of opening deeper wounds, that are gateways behind the world. Of his his three disciples, two were eaten by a lake monster and then he, too, succumbed to dread. But he opened the way for Father Emmerson.

Father Emmerson saw the four-armed St. Agnes walk beside him in his dreams and kissed her severed head, and even before he met Doctor Blake's Society, he knew of the Holy Wound and preached of it to his congregation. How the locksmiths who were bitten by snakes find they can pull apart the skin and enter the forest.

So, anyway. Seems the goal to surviving the early game was not researching mysteries immediately, but instead grinding stats. So Father Emmerson learned Greek and spent all his early days either preaching very conventional sermons, body building or painting, until he had a 3 in all stats. This makes everything so much easier.

NO idea what my cult can actually do, so far, but he has a loyal following, is a famous enough painter that he doesn't have to preach for money much anymore, and can instead mainly preach the higher mysteries to gain cult followers from his church, and he has very interesting dreams.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    On my third character now and the first time I think I have some idea what I'm doing at least in the early parts. At least my character isn't immediately imploding from Dread like the last two.

The Aspirant bumbled around the city a bit, got almost fired from his clerical job, made a friend, learned behind the Light behind the skin of the world, read a few weird books from a bookstore and succumbed to dread.

His legacy was picked up by Doctor Blake at the hospital, but he went in an entirely different direction. By studying the wounds of his patients, he learned the principle of opening deeper wounds, that are gateways behind the world. Of his his three disciples, two were eaten by a lake monster and then he, too, succumbed to dread. But he opened the way for Father Emmerson.

Father Emmerson saw the four-armed St. Agnes walk beside him in his dreams and kissed her severed head, and even before he met Doctor Blake's Society, he knew of the Holy Wound and preached of it to his congregation. How the locksmiths who were bitten by snakes find they can pull apart the skin and enter the forest.

So, anyway. Seems the goal to surviving the early game was not researching mysteries immediately, but instead grinding stats. So Father Emmerson learned Greek and spent all his early days either preaching very conventional sermons, body building or painting, until he had a 3 in all stats. This makes everything so much easier.

NO idea what my cult can actually do, so far, but he has a loyal following, is a famous enough painter that he doesn't have to preach for money much anymore, and can instead mainly preach the higher mysteries to gain cult followers from his church, and he has very interesting dreams.
    Nice. Its own writing notwithstanding, the game really excels in building up the framework for your own headcanons.

About your cult: you can send your followers to do some jobs according to their skill/inclination. You can also upgrade/train them with the proper lores. I think you can also pull off some rituals through your cult as well, though I'm murky on the details. The esoteric arts tend not to stick to one's memory for long.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2021-04-20 at 09:53 AM.

6. - Top - End - #936

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Except that's not what happens according to the game's ending slides? If you get BOS and NCR to truce, the truce holds in the Mojave even though it apparently doesn't result in a truce between those factions further West. I mean, you can completely ignore that and make up your own post-ending if you like, but I prefer to go with what the game tells me happens.
    All the npcs in the actual game prefer you eliminate them. In 3/5 endings the BOS ends up destroyed, either by you or by the NCR post victory. In the 4th, the temporary truce lasts only long enough for the BoS to retreat. In the 5th, the BoS and NCR have a local truce but remain at war in the core. It doesn't tell you what happens when that ends, but history demonstrates that if the NCR, the boot just stamps down harder on the fringe territory as it expands.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

So, I got tempted into trying to play Street Fighter 5 again. This time, it was the release of Rose, who was a character that I enjoyed in SF4, and unlike other characters that I liked in 4 that made it into 5 (Sakura and Juri) looked like she'd gotten a bunch of cool new things that she could do, rather than losing the things that I liked about her. And she did - air fireballs, a teleport v-trigger, a ton of new combo potential; I do legitimately like the character and the new things they gave her. But well, that was true of G and Seth before her too, and I'm running right back into the thing that made me stop playing even though I like those characters: I have to play Street Fighter 5 to play them. And I just really don't like the feel of Street Fighter 5.

Some of it is general things I don't like about Street Fighter, like the heavy reliance on links in combos, or the annoyingly specific cancel windows. But some of it is more a general feel of the game's pacing, not all of which is universal to other Street Fighter games. In particular, this time around I'm noticing that, despite the game in many ways being a slower-paced fighting game than the ArcSys titles I'm more used to, I feel like I never have a moment to stop and think about what's going on, and I think I've figured out why. One part of it is how the game's combos are shorter than in other fighting games I tend to play, so there's very little time in between someone getting a hit and things returning to the point where whoever got hit can act again; but another is more specific to SF5, which is the fact that there are no hard knockdowns in the game outside of exactly counter hit sweeps. Anything else leads to a soft knockdown, which you can quick-getup from just by mashing any button as you hit the ground, so of course everyone does. Which means those moments where you have a brief half-second to just think, rather than act, in almost any other fighting game, practically don't exist. Which may not sound like much if you don't play fighting games - especially since when I say half-second, I'm being literal - but I think it legitimately may be making a big difference to me. I know it wasn't like that in Street Fighter 4, a lot more things gave you a real hard knockdown, and I'm starting to wonder if that's a big part of why I recall enjoying that game a lot more than I do Street Fighter 5.

So, I'll probably wind up giving it another couple of nights, then stop playing the game again. Hopefully for the last time this time. And here's hoping that Street Fighter 6 ends up feeling much better - because I know that I can enjoy a Street Fighter game more than I do SF5, even if it's likely never to be anywhere near my favorite fighting game franchise. Both SF4 and Street Fighter x Tekken (which is my personal favorite of the Street Fighter games I've played, ironically enough) are proof of that.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2021-04-20 at 10:59 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #938

DwarfClericGuy

I tried the free new Chaos Wastes DLC for Vermintide 2 that dropped yesterday. I did 3.75 runs, 3.25 solo and .5 in a PUG. I actually really like it so far. Possibly even more than the main game mode, I could see myself switching over to this entirely.

It's basically a rogue-lite string of randomized levels. You start with gray items but a higher power level than your normal gear to make up for the lack of properties. The levels are all relatively short, usually a bunch of twisty corridors with loops and alternate paths before a final arena or other style fight. But as you wander the levels, you find coins which you can use to purchase upgrades depending on what shrines you randomly find in each level. This plus the general weird geography makes the levels seem larger since you're frequently circling to make sure you got every coin. At least I am.

You spend the coins at altars you find in the levels to upgrade your weapons or give you random boon. You find cheap alters which swap your weapon for a random one or more expensive ones that upgrade your currently equipped one. The boons are basically free item properties or passives attached to your character for the rest of the run. Each level also gives a bonus for completing it like move speed, attack speed, block reduction, etc. While it depends on which character, I'm using I actually like the enforced variety. While there are some lousy weapons or move-sets I don't like, you're generally getting a decent upgrade if you choose to gamble and swap your weapon. That does a lot to soothe the pain of getting stuck with a weapon you don't like. Plus the coins you saved means you can afford more boons.

You advance down the path in FTL like map, each level connected to a 1 or more levels that you chose from next until you get the final fight. You can see what enemies you'll fight on each mission and the stat upgrade you'll get if you choose that level. There are also dedicated shrine levels which just let you buy bonuses with your coins without fighting enemies. You end up with more stats and perks than you would in a normal match so it really makes you feel powerful. And you don't have to grind for gear since it upgrades automatically as you go. Plus there are some really powerful effects you can find that you can't get in the base game, like chain lightning on crits. The final level is just a giant arena fight with a TON of enemies spawning with a special modifier for the enemies depending on which chaos god is in control. You'll get loot chests for the main game depending on how well you did plus a few of your coins will carry over to your next run.

So far, it's been really enjoyable. Playing with a group of real people lets you be more powerful since everyone gets coins when you pick up a box and there's more altars than you can fund as a solo player. But there's still a limited number and if you use one someone else can't. Coordinating with PUGs is always a dice roll, and going solo is perfectly viable. Small caveat, there are a LOT of ledges and bots don't always handle them well. The random weapons have been fun so far, since I usually just stick to my favorite load outs. But I can see it being worse for certain characters, I'd hate to get stuck with a repeater pistol as BH Saltz for example. Mostly, I appreciate the lack of grims or tomes. It's really nice to be playing a full health bar and all my item slots. Plus the wastes only potions are ridiculous.

I thoroughly recommend trying the mode, if you have the game and just haven't played it in awhile.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2021-04-21 at 11:06 AM.

9. - Top - End - #939

So, Cultist Simulator can apparently really surprise you.

My first three games were similar. The Aspirant, the Doctor and the priest all had the same mechanisms to work, study, explore and create a cult. Then came the detective, who was similar, but also had to find evidence to do his work. Minor victory there, got a promotion instead of anything supernatural.

Then... the Reckoner. Now I am a Reckoner of Years, who has stolen 77 years of lifespan, and must flee from assassins. No more working, studying, exploring or cult creation... just trying to make enough cash to get to a different city, before the assassins of the Hours catch me, and meditating on vengeance.
    "

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I really dont think I got anywhere in Cultist simulator I played about 5 games got a cult going but never really understood how to progress from there.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I really dont think I got anywhere in Cultist simulator I played about 5 games got a cult going but never really understood how to progress from there.
    It ascribes to the (old) school of making the learning of the mechanics into its own gameplay. But if that's not your cup of tea, you can definitely use the wiki to fill in the blanks.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I tried Cultist Simulator, saw timers ticking down on the first card(s), and kinda had a panic attack from feeling rushed. >.< I don't like games where you can't pause to make decisions.
    ithilanor on Steam.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    I tried Cultist Simulator, saw timers ticking down on the first card(s), and kinda had a panic attack from feeling rushed. >.< I don't like games where you can't pause to make decisions.
    You can pause, though. The game would have been unplayable without it.

Now, it certainly could use some customizable auto-pause options, that's for sure, but you got your basic pause.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You can pause, though. The game would have been unplayable without it.

Now, it certainly could use some customizable auto-pause options, that's for sure, but you got your basic pause.
    ...I may need to give this game another chance.
    ithilanor on Steam.

15. - Top - End - #945

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I died four times, and had no idea what I was doing any of those times. I think I sort of started to get hte hang of the basic mechanics, started to manage the early game dangers like money and dread, got a few cultists, had no idea what to do with them. I had Lore, which apparently can be used to do rituals, but never the right combination of anything.

And then the game completely pulls the rug out from under me by throwing me into a different szenario with entirely unique mechanics.

And I kind of love it? It's fun discovery.
    "

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

SO I got a hankering to play Dawn of War, and saw that Soulstorm was only £10 on Steam. So I bought it, started up a Skirmish as my boys the Imperial Guard, and yeah I remember why I loved this game so much in my teens, iut's time to bug all my friends and partners to get it just so we can play multiplayer together (because even ignoring the fact that I'm about seven years out of practice I was never good enough to cut it with serious players.

Of course I played my first skirmish in years on a relatively small map, so I didn't really progress up the tech tree beyond unlocking bigger squads, sergeants, and special weapons for my basic guardsmen, but I'm sure as I progress up to harder AI and then actual human components that'll change. But there's still nothing quite like being able ti field so many basic guardsmen that you're drowning the enemy in las and plasma, although I suppose for more serious games I'll have to bust out the Leman Russ and Basilisk as well.

But the bit I'm still utterly in love with is the Army Painter, as pretty bare bones as it is for a customisation menu I still adore getting to choose my force's colour palette, and I've found no other RTS game that gives as much customisation.

So of course I immediately created a colour scheme consisting of a light blue, hot pink, and deep purple and called the regiment the 69th Pavusians.Because who'd play the Cadian Shock Troops when you can be absolutely fabulous?

(Yes, I am going to spend hours making my own Guard Regiments and Space Marine Chapters. It's time to start importing icons (once I work out how to do it).

But I suppose the next step is to play the campaign. With, of course, my boys the Imperial Guard. Astra Militarum? What's that?

As for why I went for DoW1 instead of 2? Well I was having some serious fun playing Dark Crusade when the second game came out, and while the game is good in it's own way with the lower level focus I just couldn't forgive it removing the Imperial Guard to focus on the Space Marines again.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Bought and am playing multiplayer of Halo master chief collection because I used to play Halo long ago. I get killed a lot.....just as expected. I put a zero on my isignia and three zeroes as my tag so as to make myself feel better because hey I'm bad a "Zero" so if they kill me, who cares congratulations you killed a zero dude, it means nothing! but if I kill you, that you means you lost to a "zero" which is humiliating! honestly I don't know what fun I expect to get out it. it does feel kind of good when I got lucky and get some kills off, but mostly I just die, as my Zero tag tells me to expect.

honestly I should just get back to playing Doom Eternal or Divinity 2 Original Sin because they are both more fun in different ways and I tested them to see whether I should uninstall them to make room for the Master Chief collection and concluded neither and just got rid of minor games I haven't played much I install back on steam later. so yeah, what have I learned? don't agonize over a choice like this, instead figure out ways to test to see if I like it, and compare it to other games that I'm already playing to see if its worth it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

...I may need to give this game another chance.
    Yeah, this is manageable with pause. I'm still going on my first game; relatively stable, got a few followers, got my Health, Passion, and Knowledge up, now I need to figure out how to progress further.
    ithilanor on Steam.

19. - Top - End - #949

Got surprisingly far as a Reckoner in Cultist Simulator. Stole relics in Venice, fought and killed sewer monster in Aachen, started a smuggling business in Rostock, became a thief of rare cooking ingredients in Vilnius, met with a cannibal in Kiev and sold them a rare corpse, managed to forge a holy rifle and swear my life to the Colonel, started a counter-revolution in Stalingrad, then had to flee to Leningrad, where The Foe finally caught up with me. Still, first time I Thought I knew what I was doing.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-04-22 at 06:37 PM.
    "

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    SO I got a hankering to play Dawn of War, and saw that Soulstorm was only £10 on Steam. So I bought it, started up a Skirmish as my boys the Imperial Guard, and yeah I remember why I loved this game so much in my teens, iut's time to bug all my friends and partners to get it just so we can play multiplayer together (because even ignoring the fact that I'm about seven years out of practice I was never good enough to cut it with serious players.
    You may want to grab the Soulstorm Bugfix Mod.

It has a lot of bug and balance fixes which make it, basically, the best version of Dawn of War 1 it can be.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, this is manageable with pause. I'm still going on my first game; relatively stable, got a few followers, got my Health, Passion, and Knowledge up, now I need to figure out how to progress further.
    I don't know your exact position, but to give a hint, progressing usually has to do with sleeping/dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Got surprisingly far as a Reckoner in Cultist Simulator. Stole relics in Venice, fought and killed sewer monster in Aachen, started a smuggling business in Rostock, became a thief of rare cooking ingredients in Vilnius, met with a cannibal in Kiev and sold them a rare corpse, managed to forge a holy rifle and swear my life to the Colonel, started a counter-revolution in Stalingrad, then had to flee to Leningrad, where The Foe finally caught up with me. Still, first time I Thought I knew what I was doing.
    Huh, is the Reckoner from one of the DLCs?

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    You may want to grab the Soulstorm Bugfix Mod.

It has a lot of bug and balance fixes which make it, basically, the best version of Dawn of War 1 it can be.
    Downloaded, will apply it tomorrow, I had an eleven hour shift, so too tired to play today.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-04-23 at 03:43 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

23. - Top - End - #953
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Well, I WANTED to play Fallout 4, having finished Skyrim, but it kept crashing to desktop whenever I got near some mutfruit trees (I think it was more timing than anything, but the idea amuses me), so I played a little Pathfinder: Kingmaker, doing my Beneath the Stolen Lands run. My team consists entirely of people with animal companions, and I'm starting to run into trouble with that strategy. Since almost all combat initiates after going through a narrow door, I find that I can't actually get everyone in play... my front few animals, with the rest of my team behind, with a narrow arc of fire provided by the door.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #954

I am hilariously impressed you managed to break Fallout 4. In almost 700 hours of it, I remember both of the times the game crashed that weren't due to mods needing to be updated because the version changed.

I went ahead and finally bought Starsector. Good game, but man, if it's not a slow starter.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

25. - Top - End - #955

BlackDragon

Yeah, I remember Fallout 4 being easily the most stable modern Fallout as well...there weren't even any of Bethesda's speciality, the game-breaking quest script bug, at least not that I encountered.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

It's been pretty stable before. I might have to get rid of the unofficial patch.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

So I installed the Soulstorm bugfix mod, started the campaign as the Imperial Guard, and in my first battle the Sisters of Battle immediately captured the Critical location and threw enough troops at me that by the time I had enough forces to reach said Critical Location I didn't have the time left to do so.

Which might have been fine, except that the campaign starts you off with one territory on the map, meaning that it's entirely possible to lose the campaign after two battles, with offensive battles weighed heavily against you (as the AI will have units already on the map ready to take enough Strategic Points or Critical Locations to win, whereas you're lucky if you can afford to start with more than your Commander unit). While the AI does need advantages, having a seven minute battle because it took you five minutes to scrape together enought Guardsmen squads to not die on the way to the Critical location is not fun (especially as if you succeed you now have to defend far beyond where your territory would normally be by this stage, and if you successfully do that you win in six minutes). It just seems much, much better if that condition was disabled on campaign mode, so you'd have to win by either destroying the enemy's base (much easier to defend against with the AI's tactics) or by holding enough Strategic Points (which would take the AI longer to capture, allowing you to actually have a decent force before you have to rush out and stop it).

So yeah, my main complaint with the campaign for Dawn of War Soulstorm is that, on my first try it decided that I didn't need to ply Dawn of War and forced the battle to an incredibly short conclusion. Much worse than the Skirmish against the AI which, whoile overly easy (I do need to go against a stronger AI) did allow me to actually play the game and not rush to stop a less than ten minute loss. So while I love the game I likely won't be going back to campaign mode.

Show

28. - Top - End - #958

I've been trying various phone games to kill the downtime at work and in the car, and gosh they're all so bad. Genshin Impact had left me thinking that some of these things might be actual games and not just slot machines for big tiddy video game catgirls. Boy was I wrong. I downloaded Honkai Impact 3 last night, took one look at the roster, and deleted it instantly. I'll say this for them. They seem to know their audience. Their sad, pathetic, audience.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I don't know your exact position, but to give a hint, progressing usually has to do with sleeping/dreaming.
    Got imprisoned on my first game, started a new game as a doctor, kind of stalled out after a few hours and ended up getting imprisoned again. I did a bit of dreaming with some tenth-level Lantern lore, which led to a bit of progression, but I wasn't sure what else to do. I had:
    • A number of disciples (and some believers who I hadn't bothered raising to disciples)
    • Plenty of funds
    • A lot of lore
    • 7 Reason, 3 Passion, 3 Health

but I'd exhausted the bookshop/auction house, I didn't have anywhere else to explore, any rituals/summonings seemed like they required materials I didn't have.

My third game was brief - I started as an inspector, got a favor, traded that in for a minor ending. Starting my fourth game as a doctor again, but I'm not sure how to do things differently. Hints would be much appreciated.

EDIT: At a similar position in my fourth game. I've dreamt with sixth-level Lantern lore, which seems to have advanced me a step, not sure where to go next.

EDIT2: I did manage to get a follower to a Tarantellist.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2021-04-24 at 10:50 PM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    So I installed the Soulstorm bugfix mod, started the campaign as the Imperial Guard, and in my first battle the Sisters of Battle immediately captured the Critical location and threw enough troops at me that by the time I had enough forces to reach said Critical Location I didn't have the time left to do so.

Which might have been fine, except that the campaign starts you off with one territory on the map, meaning that it's entirely possible to lose the campaign after two battles, with offensive battles weighed heavily against you (as the AI will have units already on the map ready to take enough Strategic Points or Critical Locations to win, whereas you're lucky if you can afford to start with more than your Commander unit).
    Not actually the case in Sousltorm. They've changed that from Dark Crusade. The AI starts with the same as the player on offensive maps. The Sisters of Battle stronghold power is to be able to start with some prebuilt buildings (the same as you can build as garrison in your provinces) but I don't think the AI uses it. (You can't lose the campaign in two battles because the AI can't get its commander to your stronghold in one turn. I've never played a stronghold defence in Dawn of War, it takes so long for the AI to try it)

While the AI does need advantages, having a seven minute battle because it took you five minutes to scrape together enought Guardsmen squads to not die on the way to the Critical location is not fun (especially as if you succeed you now have to defend far beyond where your territory would normally be by this stage, and if you successfully do that you win in six minutes). It just seems much, much better if that condition was disabled on campaign mode, so you'd have to win by either destroying the enemy's base (much easier to defend against with the AI's tactics) or by holding enough Strategic Points (which would take the AI longer to capture, allowing you to actually have a decent force before you have to rush out and stop it).
    The maps which have webway gates connecting planets are played by take and hold rules, the others are played by annihilate rules. Take and hold does require you to be much more aggressive in establishing as much map control as you can early on. Those maps are quicker battles, but they're also a good way to teach you the way Dawn of War was actually always intended to work. Map control and aggression are the driving force, not turtle and build up.

Notably though, the Bugfix mod does include a stronger AI, and that means it is more capable at the early game.